Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2005 1:07:06 PM EDT
Okay, I have a couple things on my mind and wonder what you folks think about the subject. It's in regards to the 6.5 Grendel Cartridge. Before I submit the rest of my post please let me respectfully ask If someone is just going to say something negative like do a search and look up the data or it's already been posted elsewhere then don't bother taking up the space with negativity. I like many have been following the development of the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC. The 6.8  SPC sounds like a fairly decent cartridge, but it seems to me anything the 6.8 SPC can do the 6.5 Grendel does much better. The only advantage I can see being claimed is the 6.8 SPC is more "lethal" That keeps being repeated, but not elaborated on. I assume that the 6.8 proponents are alluding that the 6.8 will frag just like 5.56  due to bullet design. Any bullet could frag given proper purpose design and enough velocity. The 6.8 SPC main attribute was that it's a high velocity round correct? But all Ammo that has been able to be obtained seems well under the velocity listings. According to the figures I've looked at the 6.8 is only slightly more affective then the heavier grain .223 bullets.  6.8 SPC is nearly impossible to get, even for gun magazine writers. The 6.5 Grendel is much more accurate to extreme long distances, Has way better ballistic coefficient and can be had in many different bullet weights. Also the 6.5 Grendel is easier to obtain. Soon wolf will be loading rounds for this cartridge. So what do you guy think?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they both are great rounds if yuo keep it in perspective.
I think the 6.8SPC is a good cartridge for a standard M4/M16 rifle as it's best at the shorter distances and fits that envelope well given the velocities it gets.
The 6.5 Grendel on the other hand- I think makes an excellent precision rifle cartridge-as that is what it's designed for and has the performance to prove it. It may work well at the shorter ranges down to CQB distances, etc but I don't think it was designed with that in mind.
With that said, I'm shooting my 6.8 out of a Mk12 Mod1 SPR and am using it with good results out to 700yds. My next project will be a 6.5 Grendel built as a USMC SAM/R and I expect it to have much better performance out to the 1000yd line.

That's just my .02 cents and I'm sure many others will chime in....

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Simply put, the 6.5 is a better long range round and the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics for what the military wanted.  To say one is better than another is to rehash numerous arguments that have been already argued over and over.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna go with the above answers.

To ask which one is better is an invitation to further flinging of poo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
6.8 has better mag capacity and most likely feeds better than 6.5 (look at the shape of the case.)

If you want an assualt rifle get a 6.8.  If you want a precision rifle then go 6.5.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
6X45mm

Joe
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
But 9mm is still superior to .45 ACP, and 7.62x39mm is more effective within 100 yards than 5.56mm.  5.56mm goes right through people but the 7.62x39 blows out big bloody chunks!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Both rounds have their plusses and minuses. Which one you choose should be based on the application you intend to use it for. A pickup truck would make a horrible Indy car, and an Indy car is pretty useless if you need to haul some lumber home from Home depot. That doesn't make either of them "bad", just application-specific. Same here.

Troy, I think that is one of the better analogies used to describe the whole 6.8 vs. 6.5 debate.

Well put......
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But 9mm is still superior to .45 ACP, and 7.62x39mm is more effective within 100 yards than 5.56mm.  5.56mm goes right through people but the 7.62x39 blows out big bloody chunks!  

Another kool-aid drinker.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I just hope that this is not going to turn into a 21st century .270 Win versus .280 Rem for the AR crowd in the Gun rags.  Considering bore diameter (0.277" vs. 0.264"), maybe the .270 Win versus 6.5 x 65 RWS (aka 6.5 Brenneke, or 6.5-270 wildcat) comparision might be more accurate.

Each one has its pluses and minuses.  Saying definitively that one is "better" than the other is really more opinion than fact.  I have my opinion and know which one I prefer, however YMMV.  

FWIW, I wish both every success.

In typical ARFcom fashion, I say get both!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another kool-aid drinker.....

yeah 5.56 at 100 yards from a 20" barrel is like a 55gr grenade when it hits someone.
see www.ammo-oracle.com/
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Soon wolf will be loading rounds for this cartridge. So what do you guy think?

WOLF ammo is comming out w/ the 6.5 grendal?

6.8 holds the edge in closer ranges while the flat shooting grendal holds the range shots

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ford is better than Chevy.

sorry I just had to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Have anybody noticed the barrel lengths of the  6.5 Grendel uppers that are being used for comparison against the 6.8 spc(28-24 inchs compared to a 16 inch 6.8 spc). Did you know that some of the posters that are in favor of the 6.5 grendal have monetary involvement in it succeeding. Most of the disinformation about the 6.8 spc is from those posters. The 6.8 spc is designed as a assault rifle cartridge, it does that job very well up to 500 meters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assult_rifle
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Dutchman, I have no monetary involvement in either cartridge and do not think that making these statements contributes much to the overall level of discourse.  Since the Grendel was developed out of the 6.5 PPC for Competition, there has been a natural bias towards these types of uppers.

There have been more than a few people asking for 18" barrel and shorter Grendel uppers.  I see a few people here make ask the same question, though here is seems to be used as a forward into why they will not buy a Grendel upper.

Conversely, I do not see many people here questioning why they cannot easily get a 24" 6.8 upper.

I have not seen any of the 6.5 Grendel crowd make the comparison you claim vis-a-vie barrel lengths, velocity, etc, etc.  I have seen a few state what they own, and how the uppers shoot.  If that is what you say is a comparison, fine.

The reason why 19.2 is the shortest barrel currently available is because this is the shortest barrel that Bill says will work with the rifle length gas system in the Grendel.  I, for one, am more than willing to take him at his word. Arne hinted at shorter barrels for the 3 gun crowd, but seems to be keeping a tight lid on the final specs.  16"?, 17", 18"?  Something in between?

I have no dog in this fight because I currently own neither (just an M4gery I built and an old BM Dissy).  I am considering selling both to fund new projects.

It would be interesting to see just what the two could do next to each other, say a Grendel Hunter and a 20" SPC upper.  Maybe Randall @ AR15barrels.com would be willing to do something after the 6.8SPC Barrel Group Buy is complete.  I would think that there would be a tremendous amount of overlap and you would be forced to make your own choice based on your needs.

In the end it is your money, buy what you want to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The reason why 19.2 is the shortest barrel currently available is because this is the shortest barrel that Bill says will work with the rifle length gas system in the Grendel.  I, for one, am more than willing to take him at his word. Arne hinted at shorter barrels for the 3 gun crowd, but seems to be keeping a tight lid on the final specs.  16"?, 17", 18"?  Something in between?

There is a 16" coming in early 06 as I was told.

It also is much more affected by shortening the barrel length than the 6.8 SPC, which is not surprising as the 6.5 Grendel is more "overbore" than the 6.8 SPC.

I'm curiouse as to how much velocity is lost per inch on the 6.8. The Grendel loses 15 - 20 FPS per inch of barrel cutdown.

ETA: And I agree, you can't compare the two since they were designed for different uses
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]
What does a 20-30 round 6.5 Grendel magazine look like. How does it do on full auto?
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Simply put, the 6.5 is a better long range round and the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics for what the military wanted.  To say one is better than another is to rehash numerous arguments that have been already argued over and over.

+1 - Mongo summed it up perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The inability to build the Grendel myself (or even to have one built the way I want) is the main drawback to me.

I'm going to start a new 6.8 project next week. Lots of choices and suppliers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Arne says that the license fee is chump change and that AA will supply the barrel extensions and bolts to those who are licensed.

FWIW, I think that many are irked at having to get the license to build a Grendel upper.  Others want their upper built "their" way and what they see as a lack of options from AA only further reinforces their opinions.

Look at how many flames get started here when you talk about 1 in 9" vs. 1 in 8", vs. 1 in 7", vs. 1 in 7.7"?

How about Troy vs. Samson vs. YHM vs. DD vs. ARMS vs. LaRue?

What about SPR vs. Recce vs. DMR?

I admit that these are all somewhat fun debates, but people's zeal can ruin a good thread, not to mention people hijacking threads who have an agenda.

twl, having a MGI upper in both calibers would seem intriguing, but you guys look like you have a lot of irons in the fire and as you have said you have turned your attention elsewhere.  Sorry to hear this, but I am sure you have your reasons.  Keep us posted on its progression.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Interesting.  I was thinking more towards an 18" as a halfway point between the 20" hunter and the 16" carbine, but then I like the Commander-sized 1911.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#23]
With me, the thing is that the 5.56 is sufficient out of the 20" and longer barrels. I have 2 of these (in different twist rates, BTW) that will do the job out to normal combat distances. The same cannot be said of the 5.56 in short barrels. Hence the need (on my part, at least) for a different caliber.

For those who desire a 16" carbine, the 6.5 isn't even an option at this time. That's not being picky - that's just reality. For those who want to build there own, the 6.5 isn't even an option at this time. Once again, I'm not talking minute details here. These are fairly large and substantial issues.

But, like I've been saying all along; A year from now, the picture will be much clearer. There will be well established facts to replace the current speculation and hyperbole. I'll wait until then to decide which is best for my needs.

Until then, I'll build both - as soon as I'm able to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I was thinking more towards an 18" as a halfway point between the 20" hunter and the 16" carbine, but then I like the Commander-sized 1911.

There may very well end up being an 18" also. I was told there were a few new models on the horizon. The only one specifically mentioned to me was the 16"
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have anybody noticed the barrel lengths of the  6.5 Grendel uppers that are being used for comparison against the 6.8 spc(28-24 inchs compared to a 16 inch 6.8 spc). Did you know that some of the posters that are in favor of the 6.5 grendal have monetary involvement in it succeeding. Most of the disinformation about the 6.8 spc is from those posters. The 6.8 spc is designed as a assault rifle cartridge, it does that job very well up to 500 meters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assult_rifle

This can go the othe way as well. Did you ever think that the folks that were against the 6.5 was because they couldn't capitalize on it (saying they "made it") and charge the Govt and arm and a leg??? The companies that REALLY pushed the 6.8 had the most to gain from the Govt adopting it (and nothing to gain from the .Mil crowd choosing the 6.5).

C4

Exactly! The 6.8 definitely has had some fanboys (not all but some) that had monetary interests in it's success and adoption by the mil. Seems like all of the disinformation I've seen on the 6.8 was generated by it's developers, lol.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm looking for a cheap upper and cheap ammo.

So far it looks like 6.8 is going to be the better round.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll never understand the whole deal that the Grendel tested poorer than the SPC, hence the SPC is better.  My point being, each cartridge did some early testing and then they shot gello.  Heck, for all I know, the Grendel used off-the-shelf bullets designed for match applications.  Anyway, at the end of the testing, one apparently did a bit better than the other, and from that everything's solved, right?  

What I'd like to know is how did they do compared to M855?  How did they do compared to Mk 262?  What makes anyone think that the performance demonstrated during early testing reflected the max potential of either cartridge?  I maintain that regardless of which one looked better early on, if you gave a ammunition manufacturer some time to come up with a bullet design to maximize terminal performance, they would most undoubtedly improve upon their initial offering.  And whatever they come up with would be considerably better than we have now.  So at that point other factors should become the discriminators for selection -- reliability, mag capacity, terminal performance against barriers, long range performance/BC, barrel life, etc.  

I don't necessarily care one way or another which one would come out on top, but basing it all on limited gello testing just seems a bit premature.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#30]
twl,

That does seem a bit like making you hop on one foot, while juggling, and singing the Lili Marlene.

Oh, well.

I love my 6.5 Swedes and think the best all-around hunting bullet for them is the 125 grain Nosler Partition.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks TX65, great post! I hope you'll share that 120gr. fmj load. I can't wait to get the Hunter upper I have ordered from you. 1911roben.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Hmm, what's the choice, a bullet designed from top to bottom to fuck people up from an M4A1 carbine, or a a bullet designed for range and accuracy with dubious performance from an M4A1 carbine. If I were in the business of shooting people like the military is, the choice is common sense
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Very interesting thread.

As a note. No one from MGI has approached me concerning the use of the Grendel in this platform, so I am not suprised that twl is a little disapointed with the experience. I have no aversion to a manufacturer, gunsmith or individual using the Grendel system, which is why we have a licencing set up.

For the benifit of those who would ask, yes I do receive income from the sales of Grendel.

Finally a question. How do you know that the performance of a 120 grain Norma projectile is dubious. What is the muzzle velocity? What is the impact velocity? What intermediate targets or personal protection is present. I do not have answers to any of these questions yet, in fact I have not even finalised the loading.

Bill Alexander
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hmm, what's the choice, a bullet designed from top to bottom to fuck people up from an M4A1 carbine, or a a bullet designed for range and accuracy with dubious performance from an M4A1 carbine. If I were in the business of shooting people like the military is, the choice is common sense

If anyone has a link to any requirements set forth for this head-to-head testing, I would love to see them.  I'm really curious what were the penetration requirements, expansion requirements, fragmentation requirements, fragmentation depth initiation requirements, temporary cavity requirement, and permanent crush cavity requirements.  Also, what were the requirements for performance through intermediate barrier requirements?  If there weren't any going in, then all we know is that folks went through an integration exercise where they took a new cartrdige, loaded some "off the shelf bullets" in them, and shot up some jello.   My point above still stands -- until the requirements are set out there and industry is given a chance to build a bullet to meet the terminal performance requirements, it's premature to call either one "the winner".

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#36]
As opposed to the other "Variable" ("Variablebinary") in this thread (don't mix us up!), I agree that bullet design is the key to gelatin testing, and the Grendel cartridge should be able to easily equal the 6.8 in gel with a bullet of equal construction.  I mean DUH!!!  The ballistics are as plain as the nose on our faces.

Disclaimer:  I post (infrequently) on the 6.5 Grendel board as "Variable", and should not be confused with "Variablebinary", who posts much more often than I do here.  Nothing personal to Variablebinary either, I simply disagree on this one and don't want our handles tangling up at 65grendel.com.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I personally keep going back and forth on which caliber...

I don't NEED the best 700 yard man-killer, I just want a rifle that I can

1) build myself from quality parts exactly like I want it
2) expect very good accuracy out to 600 yards
3) have READILY available ammo inexpensive enough for lots of shooting (not expecting the same accuracy from the cheap stuff of course)
4) double as a deer rifle if I ever get invited to go with my Father In Law again.

So far,

1) 6.8 SPC
2) TIE
3)6.5 Grendel
4) TIE

As you can see, only ONE thing needs to change from EITHER caliber to be a winner for me... Either the Grendel needs to be more builder friendly, or the SPC needs more available ammo.

BTW, while the Grendel folks are on...  If I purchased a "Hunter" upper from you guys, would a standard AR barrel wrench work on your barrel nut, or is it proprietary too?  For the most part, all I'd need is to replace the standard HG with a free floater of some kind, and I think I could be happy...

thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#40]

would a standard AR barrel wrench work on your barrel nut, or is it proprietary too?

That's a very good question that hopefully Arne can answer for us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#41]
6.8 was built from the ground up for killing people at combat ranges (25-150 yards) from the M4A1 which a common issued weapon in our military.

Grendal was made with a completely different mindset. Soldiers never asked a 1000 yard AR15, but soldiers did build 6.8 to do exactly what they wanted at the ranges they wanted. Grendal wasnt made to do it's best work from an M4A1.

Grendal sounds too much like a glorifed M855 all over again, where penetration and range were emphasized over lethality and stopping power

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#42]
twl hit the nail on the head about making it easy for your customers.

I am not interested in buying an upper from AA just to tear it apart to build what I want. I have uppers and free float handguards I can use. I din't need another upper. What I want is a barrel I can cut and crown to between 18" and 20", a barrel nut and a bolt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Until AA offers that they will not get a cent out of me.

The excuse they offered is that they want to guarantee the quality of the upper. I call BS. If can true an M700 action and set the shoulder back on a long chambered barrel to headspace correctly then sure as hell I can screw a barrel onto an upper.

As technically good as the 6.5 round is with business practicies like these AA can fail as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I personally keep going back and forth on which caliber...

I don't NEED the best 700 yard man-killer, I just want a rifle that I can

1) build myself from quality parts exactly like I want it
2) expect very good accuracy out to 600 yards
3) have READILY available ammo inexpensive enough for lots of shooting (not expecting the same accuracy from the cheap stuff of course)
4) double as a deer rifle if I ever get invited to go with my Father In Law again.

So far,

1) 6.8 SPC
2) TIE
3)6.5 Grendel
4) TIE

As you can see, only ONE thing needs to change from EITHER caliber to be a winner for me... Either the Grendel needs to be more builder friendly, or the SPC needs more available ammo.

BTW, while the Grendel folks are on...  If I purchased a "Hunter" upper from you guys, would a standard AR barrel wrench work on your barrel nut, or is it proprietary too?  For the most part, all I'd need is to replace the standard HG with a free floater of some kind, and I think I could be happy...

thanks

Very well put and it reflects my sentiments exactly.

The ballistics differences between the 6.5 and 6.8 aren't that much different to say that either has a clear advantage over the other, especially at short ranges, so it's almost silly to argue it.

Ballistics Link

The fact that it may not be as compatible in an M4 platform is worth mentioning, though, but it would likely work fine in that aspect also, if given a chance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I genuinely hope this debate stays this lively for awhile. But I believe the debate will end up being "Combat Battle Range Lethality vs. Long Range Accuracy and Energy." There will be a clear winner on each side. But we will continue to debate as to which aspect is more important.

I have many tools for different jobs. A cordless drill is far different from a press - even though both drill holes. Neither is interchangable with the other for it's intended use, however.

To me, the AR platform is lightweight medium-range battle rifle. It's intended use is out to typical combat engagement ranges (0-200m). So, the winner in my mind will be the cartridge that performs best (ie terminal ballistics with and without light barriers) within this envelope.

That remains to be seen.

BTW, I do hope AA loosens their grip on the 6.5.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The 120 FMJ bullet, long produced by Norma,, was put into load development for multiple reasons

1. It is a true FMJ fully compliant with the Hague convention.
2. The BC of the 120 FMJ is within a few points of the 7.62 NATO M80 ball projectile (120 FMJ - .428BC vs 147 FMJ- .415BC)  As such, launched at equal velocity, the 120 FMJ out of the 6.5 Grendel is a ballistic twin of the 7.62 NATO M80 round,,, with the added beneift of having less recoil, ammo weighing about 35% less and able to function in the AR15 / M16 platform.  Based on testing only completed two weeks ago, the velocity is achievable with multiple off the shelf powders.   The actual load information will not be released until it has been verfiied and pressure tested in a pressure rig.  Safety First.
3. The 120 FMJ is a currently available mass produced projectile that is in the ideal weight range for a cartridge of the Grendel's size.   There is also a Lapua 144 FMJBT which is a like a freight train going downrange.

Dubious performance??? again, dont know where this comes from.  I received a shipment (in May 2005) direct from the CEO of Norma in Sweden and the only people who have been testing it are Bill Alexander and myself.  I know Bill Alexander took a few hundred loaded rounds to Blackwater to let people have a go with it.  From reports, they liked it.

Of course, factory 6.5 Grendel load data already exsits to match the performance of the 7.62 NATO M118  loading, so the 6.5 Grendel 120 FMJ loading just completes the 7.62 NATO matching.

I never stop testing so I can continue my work even beyond the AR15.

Wow................. Now answer my question. How many 6.5 Grendel rounds will fit in a magazine the size of the current M16 30 round magazine?  

How controllable on full auto is it.?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
bullet designed with dubious performance from an M4A1 carbine.

I see you asking for "written and/or confirmed" proof in many threads.  

Now your turn, share with us what "written and or confirmed" proof you have that backs up the above statement.  

I have shot an A2 CMP Grendel upper and seen the 2700 FPS with the Norma 120FMJ.  With only 12-15 FPS loss per inch reduction in barrel length, this load should still get over 2600FPS with the 120 from a 14.5" barrel.  Not very dubious IMO.

For the record, I do know Arne, and have been shooting with him since 2000 and his original 6.5PPC.  I have zero monetary interest in the Grendel, and make nothing off any sales of Grendels.  The comment earlier about people posting who gain financially off the Grendel is simple crap.  There are two people who post here that make money off Grendel sales, Bill and Arne.  That's it.  They never hide their identities or involvment in the product or its sales.  Nobody else here has anything to gain financially from the Grendels success.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Wow................. Now answer my question. How many 6.5 Grendel rounds will fit in a magazine the size of the current M16 30 round magazine?  

How controllable on full auto is it.?

I have a couple of new Grendel mags that are identical in size to a GI 20 rounder, they hold 16 rounds.  These have the new blue magpul followers and function perfectly.   That should put 24 rounds into a normal GI 30 rounder.  

I, unfortunatly, do not have access to a full auto lower so cannot attest to the controlability of the round full auto.  I will say that recoil on the 20" A2 Grendel is only slightly higher than that of a normal 5.56 A2.  This is with the 120 FMJ load @ 2700 fps that Arne references above.      
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#49]
twl - Call Bill 540 639 8356. I work during the week, but to be honest you were unlucky not to catch me on a Saturday.  I am sure that we can get you the product you need. I would like to see how a carbon wraped barrel balances. I'm thinking 24" 1 in 9 twist with a Larue long rail and a Grendel flash hider, billet upper and then either a brass catcher or a right hand charging handle. While I have you attention I also have a question which I have not seen answered yet. Do you know if the MGI upper has any facility to compensate for wear, also do you have a bore dimension and tolerance for the receiver where it mates to the barrel extension. My barrel extensions run in the top half of the mil spec for diameter, typically 0.9985.

Onslaught - If all you need is a 19 1/2" barrel with a free float tube rather than the regular handguards, we already offer this as the entry model. The hand guard is G10 composite with two swivel studs. If this is not what you are looking for e-mail Arne at Competition Shooting Sports. Figure out the handguard you want and if it will work get one to us and we will build it.

Slowworm. I think I may have detected a little disatisfaction in your text, but in the interests of a productive thread I would venture the following for you consideration. If you want a barrel between 18" and 20" we make one (see above). If you want to buy a 24" barrel and cut it down..... The barrel uses a 0.907" diameter gas block, bigger bore diameter requires a bigger gas block journal to keep everything safe. Extractor is set up for the thicker rim on the Grendel case, 5.56 will work in a pinch (reversionary mode) but it is not ideal. Upper requires a larger ejection port for reliable function, nothing huge but a bottom tolerance unit will leave you extracting cases with a screw driver. I would also venture that you might like a magazine to feed the unit.  At this stage I will make no further excuse for the way I do business. I would rather fail with a top quality product than go under because I rushed to take peoples money for a product that will ultimately disapoint them.

Bill Alexander
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Bill Alexander

FWIW, Mr. Alexander, the Hunter upper option is a step in the right direction.  I see one in my future very soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top