User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
On another board a guy was saying that the Radway Green 5.56mm NATO ammo was under powered. Anybody chrono this ammo, compared to the other flavors? He was saying that the ammo was short stroking because of it being under-powered for use in the Bullpup. Anybody else heard this?

I don't have my data handy right now, but I have chronoed this ammo and found it to be within spec for M855-type ammo. It simply has a different pressure curve to better cycle the Brit SA80 rifles. It will occasionally cause issues with some AR-15s by causing them to short-stroke.

I have found that shorter (carbine or mid-length) gas systems work more reliably with the RG ammo. Others have no issues with their full-length systems. My M4's love it, any of my 20" rifles puke on it. Even my HK SL8/G36 clone doesn't like it, but then I've had the barrel shortened so there may not be enough barrel after the gas port to build up enough pressure to cycle the action reliably.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just received 6 cans and had a few questions:  Some cans had all loose ammo, some cans had 1-4 rounds on the stripper clips, and some cans had 4 rounds on stripper clips.  Some cans had the bando's at the bottom flat, some had the bando's at the top, and some had the bando's rolled up on the top.  Any reason why each can isn't the same?

The every fifth round tracers on the strippers were removed by hand.  Different individuals used different techniques to accomplish this and to repack the cans.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On another board a guy was saying that the Radway Green 5.56mm NATO ammo was under powered. Anybody chrono this ammo, compared to the other flavors? He was saying that the ammo was short stroking because of it being under-powered for use in the Bullpup. Anybody else heard this?

I don't have my data handy right now, but I have chronoed this ammo and found it to be within spec for M855-type ammo. It simply has a different pressure curve to better cycle the Brit SA80 rifles. It will occasionally cause issues with some AR-15s by causing them to short-stroke.

I have found that shorter (carbine or mid-length) gas systems work more reliably with the RG ammo. Others have no issues with their full-length systems. My M4's love it, any of my 20" rifles puke on it. Even my HK SL8/G36 clone doesn't like it, but then I've had the barrel shortened so there may not be enough barrel after the gas port to build up enough pressure to cycle the action reliably.

Yep, I concur.  NO PROBLEMS at all in my carbines, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE in my 20" A4 clone.

If you guys have carbines, you're probably going to like this ammo as it shoots clean and is accurate.  Full size AR guys stay away...
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It shoots fine in my 18" SPR Mod. 0 clone w/A1 stock and 16" Bushmaster w/A1 stock.  I've never fired it in my M16A4gery.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I just received 6 cans and had a few questions:  Some cans had all loose ammo, some cans had 1-4 rounds on the stripper clips, and some cans had 4 rounds on stripper clips.  Some cans had the bando's at the bottom flat, some had the bando's at the top, and some had the bando's rolled up on the top.  Any reason why each can isn't the same?he

Was this done by AIM or the brits before they sold AIM the ammo?  Interesting piece of info.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just received 6 cans and had a few questions:  Some cans had all loose ammo, some cans had 1-4 rounds on the stripper clips, and some cans had 4 rounds on stripper clips.  Some cans had the bando's at the bottom flat, some had the bando's at the top, and some had the bando's rolled up on the top.  Any reason why each can isn't the same?

The every fifth round tracers on the strippers were removed by hand.  Different individuals used different techniques to accomplish this and to repack the cans.

Was this done by AIM or the brits before they sold AIM the ammo?  Interesting piece of info.  Thanks!

In a Bonded store in the US, we can happily shoot tracer all day long in the UK (one of the few things left) The US prohibits the importation of tracer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered a can yesterday.

Give me a week or so and I'll be back with a report.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
91 radway from Wideners

It operated the action enough to load the next round.  This was in a 20 inch barrel with rifle gas system, but would not lock the bolt back on an empty mag.  

It short stroked enough to not load the next round in a 16 inch barrel with a middy gas system.  I cycled each one through and all fired fine.  

I fired 5 in each AR as a test.  The ammo was very clean and not dented.  I'll shoot this can up in my 20 inch barrel but will not purchase anymore.  I did not have the chrono setup since function was the main test and it failed just not as badly in the 20 inch barrel.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
 I shot this ammo in a Colt AR15A2 Hbar. 20 " rifle. It short stroked. But not anough to load the next round. It wouldn't lock the bolt to the rear on the last shot 100% of the time.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Range Report: 7-16-06, at Sherburne about 50 miles west of Baton Rouge

Today I shot 100 rounds of Radway Green out of my Bushy M4A3 14.5 w/Izzy. All fired, solid kick, no ejection problems, 3-inch groups and less with iron sights at 50 yards.

I've got 4 more 720-round cans and another one on the way. I'm going to make it my main practice ammo from now own. Inexpensive and shoots good.

Haven't cleaned my ARs yet but the chamber looks fine, normal black like shooting any other surplus.

Shot only FedAE 62gr and a few Black Hills 68gr out of my RRA SS 20-inch bull upper. Did not try the Radway in it. Chamber is a little cleaner. Shot some 1-inch groups at 100 yards scoped with the FedAE 62, but only had the nerve to "waste" five rounds of the Black Hills 68 and groupings was the same but a little low.

At the end of the session, best thing for the others (for a laugh) was watching this burly 56-year-old former Marine grab his Bushy with Radway Green, and in 1 minute shoot 10 on the run, drop to a knee shoot 4, run to a sit shoot 3, actually roll over (to get up), stand shoot 6 and then drop down to prone to shoot last 6. I fired 29 rounds at a 5-inch shoot-n-see at 25 yards, placed at 5'9" high (I'm all of 5-7), with iron sights ... 15 hits in the black (head shots), three in the bull's eye ring. Four shots were low by an inch and would have been hits, six were off to the left and would have been misses, and one shot I can't account for and is probably still headed to Shreveport.

Ahh, the good ol' (bad ol') days of 1969.
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Shot 1 mag (30 rounds) through my LE 6920.  Zero problems and no signs of overpressure on the casing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I fired one day with good results,  then the next time out it would short stroke.  This stuff has a solid kick.  Im wondering with this solid kick how can it short stroke?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I fired one day with good results,  then the next time out it would short stroke.  This stuff has a solid kick.  Im wondering with this solid kick how can it short stroke?
The powder probably has a burn rate that isn't friendly to the AR's gas system.  Its pressure curve is probably a bit off, like the M193 Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It did the same with me. Was doing OK oneday and the next it went to not locking the bolt back at all.   ????????? WD
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I put about 80 rounds through my FS2000 and all went well except one light strike on a primer & it went bang the second time.
eta - I put another 180 throgh the FS2000 this past Sat. (7/29) without a glitch
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't find the KB reports.  Can someone post a link.
Thanx
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can't find the KB reports.  Can someone post a link.
Thanx

+1

Edit: Here's one at least in the archive: archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=232666
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I took my DPMS AP4 out this weekend and shot about 80 or so rounds of Radway through it.

Loaded 15 rounds the first mag and got off 3 shots before I had some problems. I had a few FTFi and a round or two not chambering fully.

Turns out I had a blown primer, must happened on the 2nd or 3rd round, that got stuck into the lugs and was causing the problem.

After the crushed up primer fell out I took the bolt apart just to look things over and reassembled the gun everything ran smooth.

Shot about 60 rounds with no problems after the first mag.

I did have another 2-3 blown primers but they didn’t get stuck in the chamber.

Link Posted: 7/26/2006 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got to fire my Stag Arms Lefty this morning. To get the sights adjusted, I set up the Army target at 25 meters and went "by the book" on sight adjustments. I was shooting Radway green exclusviely. Got her dialed in with one 30 round magazine (both BIS and scope). Had no ammo problems what so ever. Shot another 30 rounds just to make sure nothing came loose with the sights or scope and to get used to the rifle. Again no ammo problems from the Radway. I retrieved every one of the spent cases and checked them for neck cracks and blown primers. Found one or two possible neck cracks but no blown primers. I love this Black Rifle!!

Next I will try various other fodder and see whether te rifle has problems with any of what I have ammassed over the last few months. WWB, Wolf (both brass cased and polymer) and Guat. Will eventually try some Blackhills. The rifle specs are on the Stag website available thru link at top. Did I mention that I love this Black Rifle

Semper Fi!

Edit: I went and rechecked all the spent cases again, this time with a magnifying glass. What I originally thought were cracks in the necks of a few rounds turns out to be feed scratches, not cracks. So I don't want to put out bum scoop, they all fired fine with NO problems observed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Friend of mine gave me what turned out to be 1265 rds of RORG '92.  Two ammo boxes with some on some off strippers.  Went through it and checked it all. Didn't find any rounds that "appeared" bad.  I had never used or seen this ammo.

Came on here and read various threads before asking "hey anybody know anything about RORG" and I appreciate all the info that was here.

Loaded 4 30 rd mags and went to my 50 yd backyard range.  Rifle used is a MT6700 Colt HBAR. Only mod to rifle is RRA 6 position adjustable stock. This rifle has so far digested everything I have put through it with the only malf caused by a POS 40 rd mag that some guy gave me at a funshow.  It has fired Wolf Poly and lacquer, WWB, UMC 45 gr hp, Hornady 53 gr hp and various other rounds with no problems. Total round cout is about 5K.

I experienced nary a hiccup with the RORG.  Bolt locked back on empty mag each time.

Fired all 120 rounds.  Seemed pretty "hot" to me.  Went back to house and loaded a 30 rd mag with RORG and another with WWB 55 gr.  Went back and did some back and forth with each mag for comparison.  RORG definately seems hotter than the WWB.

THis weekend I am going to set up off the hundred yard bench and do some groups.  My intial feeling is that the RORG is less accurate than WWB.  Somewhere on par with the steelcase Wolf is my expectation.  THis is based off of 50 yd offhand firing and may not turn out to be true.

Thanks for a great forum and all the ammo info.  I almost never post in this forum but I read it all the time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my RG 720 can from AIM stamped '93.  4 on the clips, bandys rolled up top with paper stuffed in the lid to prevent rattling.

Man I wish I had a range in my backyard (or any yard at all!).  :)
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
1000 + on my bushmaster xm15 a2, 1 or 2 jams, great accuracy; Good ammo , 1992  production
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Shot a few hundred rounds of the Brit 62-gr 5.56mm RORG 03 & 04 thru my Bushmaster 16" AR-15 today and was very pleased with the results. No problems either performing slow or rapid strings. Good looking, high quality ammo. Looks way better than my recent batches of XM193PD. Good kick, tight groups and feeds great via a variety of 20-rd and 30-rd mags. Will definitely buy some more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I could just go to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds.  Took my rifle to the range and shot about 1100 rounds both full and semi auto.  One failue due to a light primer hit

Link Posted: 7/30/2006 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I've received two cans of Radway Green from AIM.  The first 720 rds was RORG 1992.  I have fired 120 rds from that can and each round fired and functioned perfectly.  The second 720 rds was RORG 1993.  I fired 20 rounds a couple of weeks ago and all was well.  This Saturday, I shot another 40 rds of the 1993 ammo.  Round 38 had a blown primer which ended up stuck between one of the barrel lugs and the rim of round 39.  I took a small screw driver and popped the crushed primer out.  Cleared the action reloaded rounds 39 and 40 and finished.

I recovered the spent case which blew the primer.  Interestingly, it showed only very minor signs of pressure.  This was only the second blown primer I've ever had in either of my two ARs.  The first was with Win. Q3131A lot # VA92.  That spent case has some serious pressure signs.

I'm going to take 100 rds of RORG 1993 out next weekend.  We'll see if I get a few more.

FWIW

TT
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I took my DPMS AP4 out this weekend and shot about 80 or so rounds of Radway through it.

Loaded 15 rounds the first mag and got off 3 shots before I had some problems. I had a few FTFi and a round or two not chambering fully.

Turns out I had a blown primer, must happened on the 2nd or 3rd round, that got stuck into the lugs and was causing the problem.

After the crushed up primer fell out I took the bolt apart just to look things over and reassembled the gun everything ran smooth.

Shot about 60 rounds with no problems after the first mag.

I did have another 2-3 blown primers but they didn’t get stuck in the chamber.

The blown primers may not be a problem with the RG but a too tight DPMS chamber.

Check out this thread: www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=27393&an=0&page=0#27393  I was at the following class.  The uppers involved were DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The blown primers may not be a problem with the RG but a too tight DPMS chamber.

Check out this thread: www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=27393&an=0&page=0#27393  I was at the following class.  The uppers involved were DPMS.

How would I check that?
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I just went through a couple hundred rounds yesterday and didn't have any problems. Worked flawlessly actually and I'm very pleased. Looking to buy another can or two.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just went through a couple hundred rounds yesterday and didn't have any problems. Worked flawlessly actually and I'm very pleased. Looking to buy another can or two.

You shooting at Gateway?
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Shot 300 rounds out of 2 colt  1-7 twist 20"  rifles.Headstamp of'90,no faliures or short strokes.Accuracy was very consistent out of both tubes and generally 1.5 moa at 100 meters;I was shooting 10 shot groups and shoot a total of 5 or 6 in each rifle before using the rest for rapid fire and general plinking at longer ranges.This ammo could easily hit in 3 to 4 inches at the 250 to 350 range.I will buy more and think it is overall good stuff for me and these 2 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You shooting at Gateway?

Yeah. It was 100 in the shade. I was out there from 9-12 with my first build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You shooting at Gateway?

Yeah. It was 100 in the shade. I was out there from 9-12 with my first build.

You must have been shooting at the front 100 yrd range.

I was around back at the other range they just reopened.

If you're member and haven't shot back there you should check it out. I've gone back there the last few times I've shot and like it much better than the front range. I was back there last Sat. mid afternoon and was the only one there.

The only bad thing about back there is there's a chance your car/truck will get hit by falling lead from the pistol range.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, not a member yet so I was limited. Since it's the only game in town for the AR I'll probably end up joining. My buddy's a member so we're trying to get together to check out the other 100-yd range.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yeah, not a member yet so I was limited. Since it's the only game in town for the AR I'll probably end up joining. My buddy's a member so we're trying to get together to check out the other 100-yd range.

It's worth the $$ if you shoot a lot, and if you got pistols there's nothing better than range #5 where you can use any human siloutes as targets, move and shoot, and there's not that 2 seconds rule like on the other ranges.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would I check that?

A competent AR 'smith.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would I check that?

A competent AR 'smith.

Is that something I should be extremely concerned about and not shoot the gun till it gets checked?

I shot about 100 rounds yesterday and I don't think I had any blown primers.

-------

ETA: Just to note it, the gun is chambered 5.56
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#37]
The ones at Boone County were marked 5.56, too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Is this stuff corrosive?  The reason I ask is because I looked at an AR of mine and there is a bluish deposit on the inside of the tines of my FS.  

Just wondering...
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Non-corrosive.

That is a mixture of copper compounds from the reaction of the bullet with the powder burn and barrel. It washes of with any oil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#40]
just put a 720 round can of this stuff through my bushie Carbon-15 this weekend, not one misfire.  pretty accurate out to 100 yards
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Is this stuff corrosive?  The reason I ask is because I looked at an AR of mine and there is a bluish deposit on the inside of the tines of my FS.  

Just wondering...

I noticed the same thing when shooting it out of my 7.5 inch upper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I did not get to shoot as much of the Radway as I wanted to but I did get to put 20rds down range without any malfunctions and the bolt locked back. I used my DPMS with 16 inch barrel and the ammunition was headstamped 92.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Just wondering...he

it's not corrosive

maybe the blue stuff is copper?
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Where's the cheapest you guys have found this stuff?  cheaper than dirt has it for like $160 a 720 round can, but i know there's cheaper out there...
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Where's the cheapest you guys have found this stuff?  cheaper than dirt has it for like $160 a 720 round can, but i know there's cheaper out there...

$129 at AIM
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/223.html
129.99 can of 720.

Link Posted: 8/4/2006 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#47]
awesome, thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#48]
100 rounds through a wilson 16", SS, 1/8 today. no problems. great groups. smells great.

Link Posted: 8/7/2006 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#49]
140 rounds through my RRA 16"

92 headstamp

Accurate and reliable
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering...

I noticed the same thing when shooting it out of my 7.5 inch upper.

it's not corrosive

maybe the blue stuff is copper?

I know its not corrosive, but i have not noticed the blue stuff when i shoot any of my other ammo out of the same gun. (M855,wolf,XM193,guat,etc)
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top