Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2002 4:09:30 PM EDT
After reading this www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=141619&page=1

I wondered, just how well does FN's little micro cartridge do when used on people.

Especally since they also chamber it in a handgun, but event the P90 has a farely short barrel.

Do the ammo gurus know anything?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much that I'm able to share, but the 5.7x28 is a dismal failure, and the HK 4.7 is much the same.

Think .22 LR wounding potential (not exaggerating here, either) , and you get the idea.

I'm sorry I'm not allowed to share more, but I think it's just a matter of time before this cartridge goes the way of the dinosaur.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just wondering what on earth a Duluth MN police supervisor was doing carrying one. Has FN resorted to handing out freebees? Or did they know something we didn't?

I did a google search and didn't come up with much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Brou has it right (as per) the RCMP did testing of it and basically told all the Canadian Police don't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It sucks, ballistic gelatin tests were uninspiring
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Well it has its fans.

Oly Mforgery got indignant posted some numbers he claims shows that the FiveSeven is a great gun:

10 % ballistic gelatin, covered by the material listed, penetration from a 5-7 pistol

Bare gelatin...........7.75"
FBI heavy clothing.....9.00"
IIA vest...............6.00"

According to a Charles Petty article from the Jan/Feb 2000 issue of American Hangunner.

Now why are these numbers bad?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
First of all, the FBI recommends a MINIMUM of 12" of penetration.

Second of all, I was not exaggerating when I said "Think .22 LR wounding potential..."  In other words, the round doesn't fragment, doesn't expand...pretty much it just creates a nice .22 cal hole.

This round was designed to defeat body armor, which it does.  Other than that, it's useless.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well it has its fans.

Oly Mforgery got indignant posted some numbers he claims shows that the FiveSeven is a great gun:

10 % ballistic gelatin, covered by the material listed, penetration from a 5-7 pistol

Bare gelatin...........7.75"
FBI heavy clothing.....9.00"
IIA vest...............6.00"

According to a Charles Petty article from the Jan/Feb 2000 issue of American Hangunner.

Now why are these numbers bad?

Huh?? I didn't get indignant. I posted that some places may like the 5-7 pistol because it has a signifigant ability to pierce vests, and is likely to stay inside the intended shootee.

You responded I was wrong.

I posted the numbers.

My point was that it has the ability to pierce a vest, and will probably not have sufficient "ooomph" to leave the person that it is shot into.

Then you stopped responding to THAT thread. I was kinda expecting that you might have some info/data that I wasn't aware of. I was kinda expecting you to continue in that thread.

I agree with Brouhaha's assesment of it's wounding potential.

It is a neat round if
1) You need to defeat soft body armor.
2) Youn are worried about backstop, overpentration issues.

It is a poor round if
1) You have to pay fot those rounds.
2) You have to actually injure the person you are shooting.
3) Fire it out of a 5-7 psitol, which has a 20 round mag, and reportedly an AWFUL trigger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Then you stopped responding to THAT thread. I was kinda expecting that you might have some info/data that I wasn't aware of. I was kinda expecting you to continue in that thread.

I was kind of waiting for Brou or someone to come up with information to reconcile the differing opinions. Already tried a google search and came up with nothing that I could use without paying money for. That was all. I was coming back.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top