Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2013 4:50:46 AM EDT
This new little cartridge looks nice.
Do you know if there any manufacturers looking into an AR15 based on this round?
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy chamber pressure

Rimfire AR's are blowback

Blowback + 17wsm chamber pressure = goodbye face

So, no.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Now I might be totally wrong but

could you with that kind of pressure  get one to work with DI?

Also what about adapting it to a 5.7x28 upper?

Those 5.7 have been blow back so I don't know why you couldn't do one of these as one also.

Waiting for one of the Dave's or Tim to show up

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now I might be totally wrong but

could you with that kind of pressure  get one to work with DI?

Also what about adapting it to a 5.7x28 upper?

Those 5.7 have been blow back so I don't know why you couldn't do one of these as one also.

Waiting for one of the Dave's or Tim to show up

YMMV

I would worry about the rim not allowing the bolt to lock

I'm sure the gas is there

But  far from an expert

The P90 is blowback so maybe?
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I know nothing about the new Winchester .17WSM round. I do know that with both the 17m2 and 17HMR, it is the pressure curve that causes problems with semi-auto rifles. Look at the differences in the pressure curves between the 17m2/17HMR versus the 5.7x28 and the 17WSM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Think of it this way, if the .17 had problems,  this new round will have more. Why? More of the things that limit the use of the .17 in a blow-back design to begin with. The high pressure curve, the fact that .17's need a really clean chamber to work right, etc. Now as for DI, well while it sounds nice this is still a rim fire that by center-fire standards is a small cartridge. We are not talking about a big volume of gas here.

Rim fires have their limits, its why we have center-fires. While this new round has a nice nitch to fill and I believe it will be very popular, as I see things it belongs in a bolt or lever gun. Do some research on how many issues people have trying to make the current .17 rimfires work in semi-autos. Now add even more power to that equation and the problems rise accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
the webbing of a centerfire case around the rim is much thicker than a rimfire....if you look at most semi actions you will see unsupported case in the rim area....this unsupported case is what causes the issues with high pressure semi auto rimfires.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on a nail gun cartridge no less, this round is going to require some tweaking
to make it reliable and accurate even in a bolt gun. But in a semi-auto it will be a HUGE
PITA. Guess who'll do the lion's share of product development? The shooting public, that's who.

Of the most concern is the case uniformity, its thin construction, the "bottle neck,"
and the lack of a bullet cannelure which could allow the bullet to set back in the case
if it strikes the chamber's breech on the way in. This is a realistic possibility considering
the AR's design. A design that doesn't incorporate a feed ramp might lessen the possibility
of set back but I wouldn't want to put money on it.

To get it to run I suspect the chamber would have to be loose, which is an invitation
to poor accuracy, which in itself is self-defeating the purpose of the round's concept.

As for DI in a rimfire AR it may help but then opens the door to complex operating
system problems such as gas tube fouling.

If a shooter wants a sub-caliber hyper-velocity AR I suggest they consider the .204 Ruger.

Ted
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top