Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2012 6:42:12 AM EDT
I went ahead and ordered from CMMG the locking lug for my CMMG .22 kit. Seems to help the groups a good bit over the standard one. One question, the lock tab is pretty tough to move into the locked position but it still had moved to the unlocked position once it finished shooting for the day and went to take it out for cleaning. Did I do something wrong when I locked it in place ?

I got the charging handle on the recommendation of some of  you guys and the BHOA. Don't know why I got the BHOA since both the all plastic mag that came with it and the SS lipped version I ordered for it hold the bolt open for a chamber check until I remove the magazine. Maybe I don't have it adjusted correctly, I thought it would hold the bolt open even after I dropped the mag. ?

I will give the conversion kit a BIG OK for handling the different brands of ammo I have shot through it. No jams or other problems at all. I fired two boxes of the Remington Military surplus I got at CMP ( 5000 rounds ) and didn't have a problem at all. Thought maybe they might not be up to snuff.

Thanks to all for talking me into the CMMG outfit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I am curious what this locking lug is supposed to do.
Will it work with a dedicated .22lr barrel.

I tried to get the BHOA THINGY to work and i never could.
I just use the mags for last BHOA

I just got my 2nd CMMG kit installed and it ran perfect from the start.
I also just ordered the .22 charging handle and dedicated .22 lr CMMG barrel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The locking lug "locks" the system in the action better than the round brass collar. I do see a difference with the locking lug collar. It still will NOT shoot as tight a group as my 10/22 but it is more than enough for what I want it to do.
The BHOA 'll more than likely play with for a while and throw it in my AR parts bin if it doesn't work out.

Here is another question for you guys. I have 2 AR carbines. The one I have shot the conversion kit in is not chrome lined. Do any of you see a difference in accuracy with these kits in the lined and non-lined barrels ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered from CMMG the locking lug for my CMMG .22 kit. Seems to help the groups a good bit over the standard one. One question, the lock tab is pretty tough to move into the locked position but it still had moved to the unlocked position once it finished shooting for the day and went to take it out for cleaning. Did I do something wrong when I locked it in place ?

I got the charging handle on the recommendation of some of  you guys and the BHOA. Don't know why I got the BHOA since both the all plastic mag that came with it and the SS lipped version I ordered for it hold the bolt open for a chamber check until I remove the magazine. Maybe I don't have it adjusted correctly, I thought it would hold the bolt open even after I dropped the mag. ?

I will give the conversion kit a BIG OK for handling the different brands of ammo I have shot through it. No jams or other problems at all. I fired two boxes of the Remington Military surplus I got at CMP ( 5000 rounds ) and didn't have a problem at all. Thought maybe they might not be up to snuff.

Thanks to all for talking me into the CMMG outfit.

There are different followers. Some hold the bolt open after the last round but close when mag is dropped.
There are the ones designed for the BHOA that lock the bolt back and keep it that way when the mag is dropped. The bolt is dropped with the paddle like normal. Some bolt lock srings are strong so sometimes they wont lock back. I heard you can use a o-ring on the paddle to help it lock back.

ETA: BTW What kit do you have that you put the chamber adapter on?

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The kit was a sale item at PSA Bravo SS ARC kit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The locking lug stabalizes the bcg. Much less forward and aft movement which can lead to light strikes and feeding malfuntions.
BHOA operation, or lack of, is usually because the bolt catch spring is too much for the mag spring to overcome.
The now supplied reduced power bolt catch spring solves most of these issues.
And the BHOA is required to hold the locking lug tab in place. You will see a cut out in the center of the BHOA frame that the tab should fit in, keeping it from moving.
If the tab is hard to install from one side, try the other side.
Dave N
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
So I can just buy this locking lug and put it on my old SS CMMG conversion kit
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 3:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The locking lug will not stay locked without a bhoa in place.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Just read the instructions again and can't find anything that says the BHOA has to be in to keep it locked. NOT doubting your word but they should have put that in the instructions which are a cardboard 4 page deal. Lots of info but nothing on the BHOA being in there to keep the lug locked. Crap, the thing doesn't even work !! But thanks for the info I'll keep jamming it into the action.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The locking lug stabalizes the bcg. Much less forward and aft movement which can lead to light strikes and feeding malfuntions.
BHOA operation, or lack of, is usually because the bolt catch spring is too much for the mag spring to overcome.
The now supplied reduced power bolt catch spring solves most of these issues.
And the BHOA is required to hold the locking lug tab in place. You will see a cut out in the center of the BHOA frame that the tab should fit in, keeping it from moving.
If the tab is hard to install from one side, try the other side.
Dave N

Got it, thanks Dave.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I can just buy this locking lug and put it on my old SS CMMG conversion kit
http://www.shootcheap.net/catalog/images/SS_Conv.jpg

No, I don't think so.  The locking lug is held in place by a c-clip, but the old kits do not have the channel cut in them for the clip.  I had an old unit that got stuck in an upper bad enough that I had to send it in.  When I got it back (super quick turn around and awesome service, BTW) CMMG had replaced it with a newer unit with the brass bushing, and that was one of the things that is different.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the black CMMG 22 kit for a while and sent it back to upgrade to the India kit. I hope I get it gets here next week or the following week, I will see what you guys are talking about and get some range time with it first hand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had the black CMMG 22 kit for a while and sent it back to upgrade to the India kit. I hope I get it gets here next week or the following week, I will see what you guys are talking about and get some range time with it first hand.

How much they charge you for the upgrade if you don't mind me asking ? Have the SS version
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much they charge you for the upgrade if you don't mind me asking ? Have the SS version

I contacted the tech department and asked. Mr Humphery stated 90 bucks for the upgrade. I'm just waiting for the kit to get to them and they will call me for billing info. You pay for shipping the kit back to them and they pay it when shipping to you.

ETA: I told them I was having minor problems with my kit but nothing major. I just asked if there was a possibilty of upgrading and I shot for the heavens.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I might have to pony up for the locking bolt. I shoot pretty good with my Bravo kit, I'd be curious to see if it tightens up the groups. Love my CMMG kit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I might have to pony up for the locking bolt. I shoot pretty good with my Bravo kit, I'd be curious to see if it tightens up the groups. Love my CMMG kit.

Results will vary some with different rifles. I have both types and do notice some improvement with my one rifle. It really keeps the unit stable and stops movement back and forth. This will, of course,  help the accuracy. Some people use a spacer back on the buffer to help with this also. (But not needed with the locking lug design)  But the locking lug is #1 for keeping everything in the right spot. If you are using a conversion there are limits to what you can expect in the way of accuracy but for 50 yard or less plinking I find they do the job quiet nicely in my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got one of the older SS units.  It requires 6 lbs. of linear force to pull it out of the upper (just measured with the trigger scale).  No locking collar needed here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
My old kit came out with ease but it was the Alpha model.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top