Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2009 8:33:15 PM EDT
When is this famine going to end ? I have not seen any bulk .22LR ammo available for months. I have a few thousand rounds but hesitate to use it as who know when I will be able to replace  it. I have a Spikes upper that is sitting unused due to this ammo shortage. I never thought I would see a shortage of .22 ammo.  What little .22 ammo I use goes into my Ruger  revolver, or Mark III. I am also glad I sold my Oly 9mm upper as there is little 9mm to be found either.  What 9mm ammo I have I am saving for my Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Centurion .22lr at Palmetto.   It costs a little more than bulk,  but its accurate and has been running without a hitch in my jac conversion.  And its available!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Soon.  Each state seems to be different, but two states away, in Utah, I can go into any gun store or Walmart (at least any that carry ammo to begin with), and buy a bulk pack of .22LR.  In fact, the last time I was in the Walmart near my house, they had a whole stack of Blazer 9mm for $9 per box.

Again, each state is different, Utah for some reason, seems to be ahead of most states in this regard.  But ammo availablility is going up, and prices are coming down.  I would be surprised if it took more than a month or two for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Walmart here has Federal, Winchester and Remington bulk paks
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
None of my Wal Marts have had any .22 lr in a long time. Bulks pakcs are next to impossible to find. I just spend $30 at a local gun shop for a 525 brick of Federal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to look daily. When it shows up, buy as much as you can afford.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
When the greedy bastards stop buying it up for resale at a higher price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Walmart here has Federal, Winchester and Remington bulk paks

Not around here
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
We have plenty in Florida.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]

And because of guys like you.....thats probably why we dont have any in oregon

If everybody goes into a store and buys up "All they can afford" then that leaves nothing else for the guys who came after him, and when it does come back in stock the next guys does the same thing....its a vicous cycle that wont end until every body has eventually bought "all they can afford"  If people just bought what they needed and a little extra just in case, there wouldn't be any ammo shortages....but too many people freak out, buy it all, which is more than they could use in years and it screws every body else over!!!

OK rant over

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know where in Fl. you are, but Tampa Bay has been dry of supply for 3 to 4 months. Luckily I shoot enough that I stocked up on Federal before any of this started. I really feel for the Guys who are just getting into AR-22's and Grab whatever brand ammo they can in Hopes that it'll work.
PS: Wally limits us to 6 boxes, any combination of ammo here.

Good Luck, it should be over soon.,
SO-13
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Some how I think its just that 22lr is so much fun to shoot we go through it to fast? (hey think of the bright side guys) even the pricey 100 round cci or w/e boxes are still WAY cheaper than a 20 pack of 223...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It has been hot and cold here in the panhandle. Today, the cupboard was bare at three of the local WalMarts for bulk packs.

Next week, it could be flowing again. Hard to predict...

In general, I am not shooting it up faster than I can replace it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Soon.  Each state seems to be different, but two states away, in Utah, I can go into any gun store or Walmart (at least any that carry ammo to begin with), and buy a bulk pack of .22LR.  In fact, the last time I was in the Walmart near my house, they had a whole stack of Blazer 9mm for $9 per box.

Again, each state is different, Utah for some reason, seems to be ahead of most states in this regard.  But ammo availablility is going up, and prices are coming down.  I would be surprised if it took more than a month or two for you.

I don't know where you're going in Utah, but I haven't seen any bulk .22 at the five Walmarts in my area in Utah county for 4 or 5 months. Dry as a bone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You might try Cabelas.  For some reason, if you try a search for this on their website, nothing comes up.  (it does offer you the $50 a brick Aguila though. )  This is better, but still not great.  If the link doesn't work, type the item number "GK-21-6951" into the search bar.  It's $85/2100, which comes out to a little over $20 per box, but it does come with a plastic ammo can too.  

They're currently showing this as being backordered, but if you want to place an order you should get it in a few weeks. At least that has been my experience.

I'm still living on my stash of Federal from WalMart from when it was under $10/box for the bulk pack stuff.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I drove an hour and 15 min.  to find some today.  I only got 2 because they were so expensive.  A local dealer had some Remington thunderbolt but I don't like that crap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If everybody goes into a store and buys up "All they can afford" then that leaves nothing else for the guys who came after him, and when it does come back in stock the next guys does the same thing....its a vicous cycle that wont end until every body has eventually bought "all they can afford" If people just bought what they needed and a little extra just in case, there wouldn't be any ammo shortages....but too many people freak out, buy it all, which is more than they could use in years and it screws every body else over!!!

OK rant over

Even my own mother says I have no heart or soul.

If I need ammo and go to wally world, damn right I'll buy the whole case the way things are right now.

Then I don't have to go back for a while and can concentrate on shooting and not posting about where all the ammo went.

I bought my case and am happily firing away for the next few months. When I start running low, I'll start watching for the next case to snag.

Just keep looking, and when you find it, grab enough to keep you shooting............
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Same here in Louisiana... Very hard to find in Walmart.  I check every day at two diffrent ones.  We are limited to six as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If everybody goes into a store and buys up "All they can afford" then that leaves nothing else for the guys who came after him, and when it does come back in stock the next guys does the same thing....its a vicous cycle that wont end until every body has eventually bought "all they can afford" If people just bought what they needed and a little extra just in case, there wouldn't be any ammo shortages....but too many people freak out, buy it all, which is more than they could use in years and it screws every body else over!!!

OK rant over

Even my own mother says I have no heart or soul.

If I need ammo and go to wally world, damn right I'll buy the whole case the way things are right now.

Then I don't have to go back for a while and can concentrate on shooting and not posting about where all the ammo went.

I bought my case and am happily firing away for the next few months. When I start running low, I'll start watching for the next case to snag.

Just keep looking, and when you find it, grab enough to keep you shooting............

Ohh Im not talking about buying up a case...if yer buying enough for you to keep shooting for months, yer good to go...im talking about guys buying more than they could ever shoot in years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If everybody goes into a store and buys up "All they can afford" then that leaves nothing else for the guys who came after him, and when it does come back in stock the next guys does the same thing....its a vicous cycle that wont end until every body has eventually bought "all they can afford"  If people just bought what they needed and a little extra just in case, there wouldn't be any ammo shortages....but too many people freak out, buy it all, which is more than they could use in years and it screws every body else over!!!

OK rant over

I know you were joking but this is not true. There are Walmart shortages in some places and not in others because the same amounts(if any at all) are not shipped to ALL Walmarts.

How it is broken down, by region or revenue, who knows?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check out the Centurion .22lr at Palmetto.   It costs a little more than bulk,  but its accurate and has been running without a hitch in my jac conversion.  And its available!

More expensive than the Wally bulk but it works. I've shot around 1300+ rounds through a MKII and CMMG AR 22 conversion with no issues.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
No .22lr at any of my four local Walmarts but I did find where it all is.  A local gun shop has it all and is now rationing it out to his customers one box at a time.  The price was $29.97 per box for the Federal Bulk Packs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Local WMT has had golden bullet on and off for about a month, but no federal until recently. Went in on thursday, bought 4 boxes. Guy after me bought the other 2

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I placed an order with Cabelas a few wks ago for federal and aquila . They are still saying there is a 5 wk wait. I will be surprised if I get anyting within 3 mo.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Friday I received another case of Centurion after ordering it from Palmetto on Monday.   5000 rounds for $195 plus shipping.   It shoots  1" groups  at 75 yds from my CZ 452 and cycles all my semi's perfectly.   What more could you ask for?  Why scrounge around at Walmart when this stuff is readily available?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Friday I received another case of Centurion after ordering it from Palmetto on Monday.   5000 rounds for $195 plus shipping.   It shoots  1" groups  at 75 yds from my CZ 452 and cycles all my semi's perfectly.   What more could you ask for?  Why scrounge around at Walmart when this stuff is readily available?

They are out of stock at this time.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Natchez has Aguila for a reasonable price ($27/500 or something like that) on a regular basis and it is much more accurate than the bulk federal
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been able to find 22 most of the time and have been buying a couple of bulk packs each time I do.  I've been having a hard time finding 9mm.  The other day Wal-Mart had the UMC 250 rd packs for $48.  I only took one at the time but they had about 4 or 5 left.  The next time I went they were out.

The local K-Mart had Dynapoints for $30.  They have about 7 or 8 boxes.  Too much for me since my guns run on everything except Thunderbolts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What semi's have you used it in?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I just came back from a recon trip.  The local shop has Remington bulk for $25.  I stopped by Wal-Mart and they had 9mm WWB in for $20 in the 100rd value packs.  I picked up 4 boxes of 9mm and 2 more Winchester 22LR bulk packs for $13.  When I was paying the lady told me they had a 6 box limit for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot about 2k through my Ceiner conversion.  It runs flawlessly and shoots under 1" groups at 25 yds

It runs great in my Marvel 1911 conversion (which is a picky eater)

A couple of 10/22's,  no problems but they'll shoot anything

Ruger MKlll eats it up

Too bad its out of stock now.  They had it available for over 3 weeks
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No .22lr at any of my four local Walmarts but I did find where it all is.  A local gun shop has it all and is now rationing it out to his customers one box at a time.  The price was $29.97 per box for the Federal Bulk Packs.

I hope they included a tube of lube at that price.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot about 2k through my Ceiner conversion.  It runs flawlessly and shoots under 1" groups at 25 yds

Ruger MKlll eats it up

Great... I will keep an I out for some.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#33]
The secret to getting ammo at Wal-Mart is to go around 7-8 in the morning, went there this morning they were stocked up on federals and wwb 9mm and 45 I bought my limit of 6 on the 550s and left was there last night and it was dry as a bone, have gotten ammo like this since the election. They had 15 boxes in for the federal 550’s

my locker stays full...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#34]
We usually have a pretty good supply of all the good stuff at local gun shops (CCI, Federal Auto Match, Federal bulk pack, American Eagle, etc)...

....only problem is the thieves want anywhere from $25-35 for a brick's worth.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where you're going in Utah, but I haven't seen any bulk .22 at the five Walmarts in my area in Utah county for 4 or 5 months. Dry as a bone.

Roger That!, All the Wallys I've been to in Salt Lake are dry. Maybe I need to check in early in the mornings.  I've started checking Big 5 Sporting Goods also.  They carry Fed Bulk Packs too, but they have always been out when I've checked.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger MKlll eats it up

These guys just got some in. Pretty good price too.
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rimfire/-22/cPath/48_475

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger MKlll eats it up

$175 for a case!!   $175 FOR A CASE !!??  Thats freakin awesome!!  Finally some sanity returns to the market.  Let no one complain about the lack of decent cheap .22lr ammo while this deal is on
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger MKlll eats it up

$175 for a case!!   $175 FOR A CASE !!??  Thats freakin awesome!!  Finally some sanity returns to the market.  Let no one complain about the lack of decent cheap .22lr ammo while this deal is on

If only I could find some .45 for $15/50.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#39]
South Florida Wally World's are bone dry of .22 bulk.  In the last four months, I have only been able to find one box of Remington.  We are now limited to any combination of six boxes of ammo, max.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I was searching all Walmarts over eastern NC before I deployed.  Hadn't seen any bulk packs there in 4-5 months.  I did find some in El Paso in March when i was there, couldn't buy too much since I was flying.

CD
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Just hit both Wal-Marts in my area this morning.  I got 3 boxes of Federal, 1 Winchester, and 1 Remington.  The lady initially try to limit me to 3 but the manager was right there and told her it was OK.   Afterward she told me that she had been scolded a couple of weeks prior for selling 22 boxes of 9mm to one customer.  She was told to limit the amount of ammo she sold per person but was not told what that limit was.  Since I was trying to buy the only 5 boxes of 22LR she had, she thought she had to limit me to half.  

I went to the other Wal-Mart nearby and they had some Winchester bricks and had just gotten another case of 22 that was still on the floor unopened.  I wanted more 22LR but they finally had 9mm so I got my 6 box limit of Blazer brass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
For what it's worth

my local walmart had about ten bricks of federal 15bucks

they even have 9mm and 40     brass blazer pretty cheap like 9 and 12respectively
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I placed an order with Cabelas a few wks ago for federal and aquila . They are still saying there is a 5 wk wait. I will be surprised if I get anyting within 3 mo.

I ordered the 2100 bulk from Cabelas on tuesday, it shipped today and should be here wed., i'd give em a call if you still have gotten yours!
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody have bulk .22 in stock?
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm starting to think you're right about this. The only things holding me up have been not knowing how good/bad Centurion was, and 'thinking' I could save money by just driving over to Wallymart to self-serv.
The shipping on 500 of .22 rnds from Palmetto is $5

No 5K .22 available

Shipping on 5K of .22 Centurion from Palmetto = ?

Shipping on 1K of .223 from Palmetto is ~ $15 for comparison.
.22 Federal from Wallymart, if available each time I went there, would be 2.7 cents/rnd - plus diesel and time
So if you figure about $15 shipping on 5K from Palmetto,  it comes to ~ 4.2 cents/rnd

.22 Winchester Xpert from Copes is ~ 6.6 cents/rnd

5.45 Combloc surplus from Copes is ~ 15 cents/rnd

5.45 Silver Bear from Palmetto  ~ 25.6 cents/rnd

.223 PMC from Palmetto is ~ 38 cents/rnd
When you figure how much diesel fuel costs me, plus my time going to Wallymart several times per week just to come home empty handed since march, I think I could have been shooting .223 all this time. Having just picked up the 5.45 recently I plan on getting a few wood cases of Copes Combloc surplus stuff plus the Palmetto .22 cal Centurion and just squirrel away what little .223 and 5.56 I have left.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That is because your local shop is going to Walmart early in the AM and buying it all so they can mark it up like dicks. I caught a place locally doing that, and posted about it in our hometown forum so everyone knows who is ripping people's heads off.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Plenty of the Remington 550 Bonus Packs at two of the Walmarts I visited today. A shame nothing I have likes it.

No Federal Value Packs...
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Was out and about this morning and my local Wallys had pretty much everything in stock... as long as you like the Winchester Whitebox.  "value packs" of 9mm, .38spl, .357mag, .44mag, .40sw,.45acp., .223, .30-06.... it was all there.  They also had four different "bulk" .22lr types in the case.

The woman was just unboxing the Federal redbox Bulks Packs into the case as I arrived.  Took my limit of 6 home with me.

Now I just need Spikes to get back from the holiday weekend and build/box/ship my dedicated .22lr upper.

I'll try again in a day or two... .45acp at 29.98$/100rds... not too shabby.  9mm and .40sw were 22.98/100rds.  .223 was 19.98/40rds... not the best prices ever, but not too bad either.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#49]
My order from Cabelas finally came in. I got 1000 rds of hyper-velocity Super Max Aguila and 2000 rds of Fed bulk pak. I also got three free dry boxes combined. It took about two months for the ammo  to come in but nobody locally has any .22LR. Some stores have had some but  unless you get there when the delivery truck arrives you will be out of luck.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#50]
There's not much available locally here. Wmart hasn't had any 22LR other than a few 50 rnd boxes for $3.49 and up. I stopped at a few places near my Camp in the sticks, they had Winchester Wildcats for $23/500 and another had CCI's for the same price. I bought 1k of the CCI's, but wish I would have just bought a brick of each and shot a few to see how they ran in my Spikes kit. The CCI's seemed a lot weaker than the Federals I already had when shooting them side by side. At least they do function in the AR and 10/22 so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top