BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:08:37 AM EDT
Just puled the trigger on a 45acp gas/DI upper. It works 10.5" brl. Running Federal American Eagle & PMC 230g HB. Standard carbine buffer & recoil spring. Complete lockback with room to spare. Cases were tossed about 6' More to come. Smoke em if you got em!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
!!!!!!!!!!!!  PICS !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just puled the trigger on a 45acp gas/DI upper. It works 10.5" brl. Running Federal American Eagle & PMC 230g HB. Standard carbine buffer & recoil spring. Complete lockback with room to spare. Cases were tossed about 6' More to come. Smoke em if you got em!

Sounds like you got to shoot one of Kurts guns

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The brl is just rough turned. I was convinced that it wouldent work. At least that was what I was told. I will get some pics as soon as I finish. I am turning a 16" 45acp brl as we speak. I keep going out back just to see if it still works............................. Yep, still running
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds great Ron! Can't wait to get my setup from you
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you got to shoot one of Kurts guns

Sorry this is my setup. Dident know kurt pulled this off yet.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Who is Kurt?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, this is just one example of why we can't ever stomp out BRD . . .
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Mr Ron, sir...

How might I come upon one of these rare jewels?
Do you have the blanks?
Price?
My first born...

buckmeister
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics or gtfo
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Another success for Mr. Williams... Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ron,
    Looks like you've developed a real magic touch in the gas system department! Just wondering if you or somebody you know has a full auto lower you might try your setup on?

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Who is Kurt?
Kurt Wala - KKF

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is Kurt?
Kurt Wala - KKF

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 3:52:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ron,
    Looks like you've developed a real magic touch in the gas system department! Just wondering if you or somebody you know has a full auto lower you might try your setup on?

Working with someone now. I hope to get a video soon

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks Jay. I need to look at my options with this gas system design. What I did must improve the system because the 45acp @1800K psi shouldent work in the AR.

Today I am going to finish my 16" brl & set it up to run 45acp with a no weight buffer/reduced power spring. Then fire 45Super with the stock buffer/spring. If this works it will make for a real nice upper. A plinker/hunter combo!

FunBobby, I need to finish the brls first. They are rough turned & I need to finish profiling. I will have pics soon.

buckmeister, you have an IM & anyone else just drop me an IM
Thanks

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I just finished testing the 16' brl. With a no weight buffer & a cabine spring 1.5" shorter than stock the factory 45 Fed/PMC 230g HB gives a comlete lock back & cycles fine. I installed the std carbine buffer/spring. I dont have any factory 45super so I chose 9g of A#5 with the 230HB & it gives complete lockback & cycles fine. It seems someone should be interested in a setup like this
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Found this one & had to try it out. 14g A#7 with a 200g XTP.  Do you guys realy fire this kind of stuff in a blowback WOW. Very little reidue left also. I need to get some loaded up & get some #s on it. Very nice load!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I just finished testing the 16' brl. With a no weight buffer & a cabine spring 1.5" shorter than stock the factory 45 Fed/PMC 230g HB gives a comlete lock back & cycles fine. I installed the std carbine buffer/spring. I dont have any factory 45super so I chose 9g of A#5 with the 230HB & it gives complete lockback & cycles fine. It seems someone should be interested in a setup like this

umm.......they are

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're running Thompson mags I'll be a happy person.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Just when I thought my BRD might be clearing up

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#22]
.45 SUPERGAS
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bumped it up to 14.5g A#7 with the 200g XTP. Still no pressure signs. This 45Super kicks ass!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Excuse me for being a noob, but are there working 9mm versions around or is the 9mm round to "wussy" for a gas system?

Thanks,

Chris

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Excuse me for being a noob, but are there working 9mm versions around or is the 9mm round to "wussy" for a gas system?

9mm works just fine with a straight blowback system.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Chris

The 9mm has been done. Marty said he got one running. I am sure my system will make the 9mm run like a champ! Contact me if you want to play with one.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are a couple pics of the 45acp uppers I finished today. I have been contacted & both uppers are spoken for. I can allways get another blank(blanks) ordered if there is enough intrest

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here are a couple pics of the 45acp uppers I finished today. I have been contacted & both uppers are spoken for. I can allways get another blank(blanks) ordered if there is enough intrest
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/ron458/45acpcarbine.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/ron458/45acpSBR.jpg

What mags are those?

Is that a carbine length gas system or running a reduced length under the handguard?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a GG mag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Jay. I need to look at my options with this gas system design. What I did must improve the system because the 45acp @1800K psi shouldent work in the AR.

Today I am going to finish my 16" brl & set it up to run 45acp with a no weight buffer/reduced power spring. Then fire 45Super with the stock buffer/spring. If this works it will make for a real nice upper. A plinker/hunter combo!

FunBobby, I need to finish the brls first. They are rough turned & I need to finish profiling. I will have pics soon.

Thanks

I thought you had said a stock lower ... that is not "stock"  Wonder if we used the wrong loads, as we could not get our 45 ACP loads to work.  The 45 Super loads worked without issue.  That and I think we had some gas leakage from our block

Great work, Ron!

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Ron, in your testing, what is the shortest, reliable length you believe you could make work for me in a pistol combo?  I can provide a BM A2 upper receiver if you can do the rest of the upper and help me with what I need to get my pistol lower working....

I'll send an email in a couple hours.  Congrats!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let me know if your intrested in doing a 7.5" 9mm barrel for me. I can supply the blank.

Ill IM you. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I thought you had said a stock lower ... that is not "stock"  Wonder if we used the wrong loads, as we could not get our 45 ACP loads to work.  The 45 Super loads worked without issue.  That and I think we had some gas leakage from our block

Great work, Ron!

Marty, I set the 16" brl up that way! The 10.5" brl I set up to run just 45acp & it runs with "stock components" Look back at the post. Its ok, it happens to all of us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ron, in your testing, what is the shortest, reliable length you believe you could make work for me in a pistol combo?  I can provide a BM A2 upper receiver if you can do the rest of the upper and help me with what I need to get my pistol lower working....

I just finished designing a custom gas block to work with the free float tubes. After I finish building one I need to build a nother 10" brl & start cuting an 1" off at a time & see when the system fails. It wont happen tomorrow but not much longer. I have more hunts comming up & I am sorry but nothing gets between me & my hog hunting! Well, except for the occasional oak tree
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just finished designing a custom gas block to work with the free float tubes. After I finish building one I need to build a nother 10" brl & start cuting an 1" off at a time & see when the system fails. It wont happen tomorrow but not much longer. I have more hunts comming up & I am sorry but nothing gets between me & my hog hunting! Well, except for the occasional oak tree

Wish I could find a reliable place to hunt hogs out here in the great Northwest!  

As far as wait time goes, no hurry.  Was hoping for a barrel in the 6"-8" range.  

Thanks for the reply and post some pics of what those uppers take down, please!!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish I could find a reliable place to hunt hogs out here in the great Northwest!  

As far as wait time goes, no hurry.  Was hoping for a barrel in the 6"-8" range.  

Thanks for the reply and post some pics of what those uppers take down, please!!  

Sorry bnr32gtr. My hogs reserve the right to get hammerd by my SBR 50AE & 458Short If I ever get a 45win mag built I may try that one on them!

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
so, does this use oly parts?  any?  or is this a way to get oly out of the equation?
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#39]
very interested. saw your posts on this over at Homegunsmith. have a CNC AR45 blowback but this sounds cool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#40]
No Oly parts. More to come!
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Great work, Ron!

Marty, I set the 16" brl up that way! The 10.5" brl I set up to run just 45acp & it runs with "stock components"

Look back at the post. Its ok, it happens to all of us.

Hey, wanna come to SHOT?  I'll send you an E-vite, we can chat, drool over MagPul toys, stuff like that
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I have  hog huns every weeknd in jan/feb. Both of my boys go now & it is alot of fun. I wouldent miss one for the world! Thanks for the invite though. I will be out tomorrow testing both uppers. Need to get a couple hundred rounds through them to get them broke in & make sure everything is just right. Hope to get a video also
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I really want to check out your work!  I've got a DI 45 ACP in the works on the bench right now.  Just had my buddy finish up the mods on the upper and lower to use Thompson MG mags.  I've got a few posts in the 45 ACP thread about it.  As soon as I am able to get my FFL (type 1 and type 7 mfg) I'm gonna see about getting an M16 FA lower, and see if I can make it run.  Then the suppressor is next....  Just got my Smithy Granite 1340 lathe/mill/drill in yesterday and I'm ready to put it to some use.  Congratulations on the DI upper––-I always knew it could be done, just didn't know if anyone else'd put the time and effort into it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Great job Ron.  Not surprised you got it to work.  Everything I have ever received from you has been first rate and exactly as I ordered.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I really want to check out your work!  I've got a DI 45 ACP in the works on the bench right now.  Just had my buddy finish up the mods on the upper and lower to use Thompson MG mags.  I've got a few posts in the 45 ACP thread about it.  As soon as I am able to get my FFL (type 1 and type 7 mfg) I'm gonna see about getting an M16 FA lower, and see if I can make it run.  Then the suppressor is next....  Just got my Smithy Granite 1340 lathe/mill/drill in yesterday and I'm ready to put it to some use.  Congratulations on the DI upper––-I always knew it could be done, just didn't know if anyone else'd put the time and effort into it.  

It wasent that dificult. Hit it the first time out. I had alot of experence with the 10mm though. Just goes to show you what an old florida boy can do with a drill
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#46]
How far up the barrel did you drill the gas port?  How Big is the port?  I have my ideas, but want to see if you'll confirm them.  I hate math, but I did some calculations concerning the ratio of how much barrel you need past the gas port.  Anyway, I'm still cross-eyed from that one.  Again, CONGRATULATIONS!
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How far up the barrel did you drill the gas port?  How Big is the port?  I have my ideas, but want to see if you'll confirm them.  I hate math, but I did some calculations concerning the ratio of how much barrel you need past the gas port.  Anyway, I'm still cross-eyed from that one.  Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

That's Ron's secret and he is guarding it well, rightfully so... I have a pretty good feeling where and how big, having one laying here that was borderline... may have to take it out again and test it with factory ammo to see if it will work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I understand, I'm willing to share my figures with him on a private basis myself, just looking for the confirmation that my figures will "hold water". I'm a gunsmith and I know trade secrets are a premium for us, but with a project like this, two (or more) heads are better than one. How long has Oly been the only game in town!? I wanna put them back down a notch. I can't produce a thousand of these at a time (nor do I want to), but I (we) have been told for so long that DI in 45 won't work that I just want to see a bunch of boys eat some crow.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, we put some lead down range today! All I can say is it works Only issues was with the WWB 45ACP 230HB. That stuff is weak & dirty. The Fed & PMC we ran was flawless but we had extraction issues with the WWB. I think the powder they use is more akin to "chacoal" then powder. I dont know if the video worked or not.  We had issues with the camera but we figure if the tape dosent work we will head back out tues & do it again. I have to confess that it does seem like a good idea to use a light buffer. Things were a little more robust with a no weight buffer but considering the recoil impulse kept me looking to see if it was running was interesting. She ran with stock components but I like the little extra umph I got from the lighter buffer. For somthing that was not suposed to work, I cant complain!
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, we put some lead down range today! All I can say is it works Only issues was with the WWB 45ACP 230HB. That stuff is weak & dirty. The Fed & PMC we ran was flawless but we had extraction issues with the WWB. I think the powder they use is more akin to "chacoal" then powder. I dont know if the video worked or not.  We had issues with the camera but we figure if the tape dosent work we will head back out tues & do it again. I have to confess that it does seem like a good idea to use a light buffer. Things were a little more robust with a no weight buffer but considering the recoil impulse kept me looking to see if it was running was interesting. She ran with stock components but I like the little extra umph I got from the lighter buffer. For somthing that was not suposed to work, I cant complain!

Ron, I got the Video (it helps if you fully rw the tape) I will work in it Monday and try to get it posted for you. (may take a couple days depending on my day job.)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top