Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2006 12:19:48 PM EDT
There isnt a lot of information in picture form about .22lr rimfire uppers, so I thought I would provide some pics of my upper build.  I built a 11.5" SBR upper based on a KKF barrel.

Barrel as received from KKF.

Pic of the breech end.  The barrel uses an unmodified M261 or Ceiner kit.  The barrel chamber is .223/5.56mm, and you use the chamber adapter on whichever kit you use.  I like having the option of using either conversion kit.

Assembled upper with my M261 conversion.  I used a M16 slickside upper.  Currently painted with flat black Krylon, but I might strip and molycoat it later if it doesnt hold up.  Update:  Krylon didnt hold up too well (as expected) so I used Alumahyde.  Holding up pretty well so far.

Full length view of the upper and M261 conversion.
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Great info and photos
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
How much did the barrel cost?  

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much did the barrel cost?  

Thanks!

Brad

$295 as pictured.  Turnaround time was a little over 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  I'm looking at getting another KKF for myself.  I've got the lower and upper lying around, so I think I'll order up the barrel and put it together.

Brad
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks!  I'm looking at getting another KKF for myself.  I've got the lower and upper lying around, so I think I'll order up the barrel and put it together.

Brad

Contact him with a detailed description of what you want, and let him work up a quote for you.  He does really good work, it is worth the wait.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my first upper from KKF in 2001.  I placed the order in July and got it in September: eight or nine weeks.  It was a long, long wait!  But very much worth it.  I've got over 19000 rounds through it now and it is still going strong.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Kurt took about 2 months to build me my upper as well.  Most o fthe holdup was getting stuff from JAC.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Very sharp, can we get some complete carbine pics though?

Thanks for the post,
Scott
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a better solution....looks like the KKF barrel is still chambered for 223 and using the adapter's chamber adapter.  Seems silly to use a dorked KKF barrel/extension you cannot even convert back to 223 and STILL have to use a accuracy killing chamber adapter.  You're better off with a standard barrel and would be hell of a lot less expensive.

It is far better to just use a barrel that shitcans the chamber adapter with everything built into the barrel itself.  No chamber adapter, and a very slightly modified kit...M261 or Ciener.

Accuracyspeaks is what I have, M261 style, and I believe Lakeside also does the same thing.  Shoots as well as my tricked out silhouette/3P 10/22 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is a better solution....looks like the KKF barrel is still chambered for 223 and using the adapter's chamber adapter.  Seems silly to use a dorked KKF barrel/extension you cannot even convert back to 223 and STILL have to use a accuracy killing chamber adapter.  You're better off with a standard barrel and would be hell of a lot less expensive.

It is far better to just use a barrel that shitcans the chamber adapter with everything built into the barrel itself.  No chamber adapter, and a very slightly modified kit...M261 or Ciener.

Accuracyspeaks is what I have, M261 style, and I believe Lakeside also does the same thing.  Shoots as well as my tricked out silhouette/3P 10/22 rifle.

Depends upon what your intended use is.  I wanted a SBR length plinker without having to spend another $200 tax to SBR a 10/22.  I never expected or intended it to be a competition rifle.  I also considered the possibility that I might want to use >10 round mags in the future (M16 RR is on my wish list) - having an upper I can swap adapter systems in was a bonus.

A combination upper from Accuracy Speaks starts at $950 complete- I have about $475 in my whole setup, and accuracy is on par with a stock 10/22.  I could not SBR a 10/22 for what I spent on the upper, and I am not sure AS would even build a 11.5" upper for me.

It makes a good solution midway between a fullblown competition upper like yours and using an adapter with a centerfire barrel, both price and accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Very sharp, can we get some complete carbine pics though?

Thanks for the post,
Scott

I'll get some up tonight.

Edit:  Pic of complete rifle:

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top