Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2006 7:35:37 AM EDT
I was shooting yesterday at a local indoor range.  I was shooting factoy CCI Blazer 9mm and Boom.   This is what I have left.  

Quote from bushmaster web site about their Uppers  "these molded receivers are completely impervious to moisture, rust or corrosion and offer a 40% increase in strength over aluminum."

I don't think that would have happened to an aluminum receiver

This is how Bushmaster takes care of  business:    Bushmaster squared me away promptly. Their customer service is the best. They contacted me ASAP. Gave me several options on how to resolve the problem and took care of me right away. They are the company to deal with.

Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
pic is not working. All I see is a red x
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]

-edit:

Oh Snap!
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are OK that is pretty bad.  How thick is the material under the delta ring? That looks like a weak point in the design.

I don't see how a ruptured case could break the receiver like that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#4]
From the looks of the reciever it looks like your lower reciever is still intact.  How did it happen? Squib round?  Do you have the 9mm case that was in the reciever during the kaboom?  Did the barrel buldge?
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It was not a squib round, The barrel was not buldged at all.  I don't have the spent case.  I could not find it.  The bullet was half way down the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Were you bumping?

Not that it should ever do that anyway...mind you.

That really sucks.

I think it could happen with the carbon guns in 9mm where it can fire out of battery.
Could that have been it, maybe????

Just slightly out of battery and too much stress on the front of the receiver area?

I have a couple carbon 5.56 guns, I have kind of re-thought the carbon guns on blow back systems that can easily fire out of battery.....scares me just a little

I have heard lots of reports of the 22s firing OOB (I just made that acronym up)
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope I was not bumping.  Maybe It could of been out of battery.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Want to sell it...cheap
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe bushmaster will replace it for you. have you called them?
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
They will take care of you......they should.

"Yes, my gun almost killed me".........."Well Sir, let's replace that for you!"

Gotta make it sound like you almost lost your life......just kidding of'course.

I AM glad nobody was injured.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
wow!
Looks like you tried a DieHard with it to climb down a elevator shaft
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure of BM specifically, but a lot of straight blowback rifles in 9mm, they recommend no blazer. The gun unlocks quickly enough that the aluminum case isn't enough.

Not sure if that was your problem or if it was a slamfire while OOB, but just figured I'd offer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to say, I am a fan of the Carbon-15 9mm.

But one thing that really worries me is just how much of the case is unsupported. If you look at brass fired in a Carbon15 9mm and you will see what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Blazer is not good ammo to shoot in anything other than a (non-Glock) pistol.

Better send it to Bushmaster for replacement, glad you are OK.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah. might be best not to mention the aluminum cased ammo
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It happended at the range I bought the gun at.  They have a security camera there.  I got the see the tape from yesterday when it happened.  It was cool to watch all the smoke when it blew.  They are going to send it back to bushmaster.  However I don't know if I could trust another one.  Good thing I was wearing Oakley Shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe we can get some feedback on CCI's Cus Serv with this little episode.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Blazer has been around for many years in many calibers....it was designed as, sold as, and intended as inexpensive non reloadable ammunition.  It meets all safety standards SAAMI spec and works as intended.  I never use it, I don't like it, I don't recommend it, and I don't fault it.

Anyone in the plastic injection molding industry knows that it is extremely misleading (advertising) to call these weapons carbon fiber.  It is PLASTIC nothing more or less.  Mixed in with it is carbon fiber strands.  This is often confused with the strength of layered carbon fiber sheets that are mixed with a resin and formed under pressure or temperature.  People hear how strong carbon fiber is and assume that 'carbon' strength applies to all applications.  Any (unbiased) engineer will tell you that a 'carbon' upper reciever is inferior to a 7075 machined aluminum forging.  It was never redesigned as a plastic component.  What are the true benifits of 'carbon' fiber AR15 components?  They are cheap to make in great quanity quickly.  If you spin it right you can get (some) people to believe you have a super strong ultra lightweight rifle and they'll pay more to get it.

Picture is worth a thousand words.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh....btw....glad to see you didn't get hurt!

I would get your money back and buy an aluminum forged standard 9mm AR and never worry when you pull the trigger.  You will have to beefcake up a bit and heft that metal tho.  If my Pinto went up in flames I might not want to try my luck again even if Ford wanted to give me a new one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Blazer  . . . meets all safety standards SAAMI spec and works as intended.  I never use it, I don't like it, I don't recommend it, and I don't fault it.

Really?  You may want to read this before you categorically pronouce it to be the equivalent of brass case ammo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blazer  . . . meets all safety standards SAAMI spec and works as intended.  I never use it, I don't like it, I don't recommend it, and I don't fault it.

Really?  You may want to read this before you categorically pronouce it to be the equivalent of brass case ammo.

I did not pronounce it to be the equivalent of anything...in fact...I clearly state I don't recommend it.  Your link is informative but it relates only to open bolt weapons.  So why does an closed bolt system have open bolt ruptures?  Again...not the fault of the ammo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Avrgr,
I feel your pain dude! I had a Carbon 9mm to kaboom on me back in March of this year. However, mine broke apart at the stock end, instead of the fore-end. I sent it back to Bushmaster and they refunded my money, with which I promptly bought a Colt 6450. When I spoke with Tom Tyler @ Bushmaster they claimed it was an ammo related failure, but I was firing Speer Gold Dot 124 at the time it happened. I think it fired from an open bolt and that was the issue. How many rounds did you get through before it happened? Mine did not even make it to the 50 round mark. Sorry for your loss and good luck on getting a refund or replacement.

Wrenn
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#24]
The death of any black rifle is always a sad day.  May it rest in peace.

Link Posted: 7/12/2006 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I did not pronounce it to be the equivalent of anything...in fact...I clearly state I don't recommend it.  Your link is informative but it relates only to open bolt weapons.  So why does an closed bolt system have open bolt ruptures?  Again...not the fault of the ammo.

I can't find it now, don't recall if it was in my Colt manual or somewhere on the web, but I remember a warning about using "aluminum cased" ammo in an AR 9mm.

Damned if I can back it up though. :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Were you bumping?

Not that it should ever do that anyway...mind you.

snip

Don't kid yourself on this.  I was bumping my 9mm and had a case blow out from firing out of battery.  The round hit the edge of the chamber and lodged in the barrel with a clear point of impact on the round.

I saved the blown out case and it is on the shelf on my garage if folks want to see a photo.

It did not damage my Oly in any way, just blackened the next few rounds in the Sten mag.  

The 9mm does not have a moving, rotating bolt and it can fire out of battery.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad I did not get hurt in any way.  However, All the warnings you see about firing aluminum cased ammo (none of which was in the Bushmaster manual).  Is the intent of that warning for reliability reasons or don't shoot blazer cause it will cause your gun to blow up on you?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm glad I did not get hurt in any way.  However, All the warnings you see about firing aluminum cased ammo (none of which was in the Bushmaster manual).  Is the intent of that warning for reliability reasons or don't shoot blazer cause it will cause your gun to up on you?.  

I have tried Blazer in my 9mm AR, and it is not reliable.  Neither is it in my friend's AR.

In locked breech pistols, it seems to run all right, but it definitely does not like blow back actions.

I never considered it to be dangerous, but I might have to rethink that point.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to see that. I have always been skeptical of plastic rifles.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm glad I did not get hurt in any way.  However, All the warnings you see about firing aluminum cased ammo (none of which was in the Bushmaster manual).  Is the intent of that warning for reliability reasons or don't shoot blazer cause it will cause your gun to up on you?.  

I have tried Blazer in my 9mm AR, and it is not reliable.  Neither is it in my friend's AR.

In locked breech pistols, it seems to run all right, but it definitely does not like blow back actions.

I never considered it to be dangerous, but I might have to rethink that point.

i think they are saying if a alum. case fires out of battery it is more likely to crack and explode rather than just buldge out with a brass case

I am have used blazer w/o issue, but i dont bumpfire or have a plastic AR
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a friend that had a double charge in one of his relaods that he shot through his Colt 9mm, the ejection part door flew off and there was a slight bulge in the upper.  After we tore it down and inspected it he shot it and everything was ok.  That was about a year ago, and he still shoots it everyweek w/o any problems.

I'd love to know what Bushmaster's responce is to this. Factory ammo that blows a upper apart, there has to be something else going on.    

They need to be all over something like this since it is a fairly new product.

Good Luck  
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a friend that had a double charge in one of his relaods that he shot through his Colt 9mm, the ejection part door flew off and there was a slight bulge in the upper.  After we tore it down and inspected it he shot it and everything was ok.  That was about a year ago, and he still shoots it everyweek w/o any problems.

I'd love to know what Bushmaster's responce is to this. Factory ammo that blows a upper apart, there has to be something else going on.    

They need to be all over something like this since it is a fairly new product.

Good Luck  

Really?  Because a guy blew his AR apart with crappy ammo and Bushmaster wont replace it as they shouldnt have to.  I dont think the manufacturer should be responsible for the lack of the users judgement.  There is a huge on going thread on it right now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I did not receive the piece of paper stating these facts when I bought mine in March. I was using Speer Gold Dot 124's when mine blew up, and it is on the "approved " ammo list.

Avrgr,
Did your rifle include this paper? Just curious when this started becoming a problem, and when they started including this warning.

Wrenn
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I did not get that piece of paper.  I bought my rifle when they first came out in December 05.
That advisory was published on this day ======> Bushmaster Ammunition Advisory   (published: 2/15/2006 11:31:50 AM)
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Man, I'm sorry to hear about what happend to you carbine.

Not to add salt in the wound though...the scanned post above mine did clearly advise against the use of CCI/Blazer. The yellow flyer was included with all the other product paperwork. As for me, regardless if I believe I know a weapon, I still read through all the manuals and paperwork it comes with.

Maybe it wasn't included with your carbine when you made the purchaseI have not had one issue with mine in the least, and I still don't regret the descision to purchase a Carbon 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quote from bushmaster web site about their Uppers  "these molded receivers are completely impervious to moisture, rust or corrosion and offer a 40% increase in strength over aluminum."

I wonder why the MILITARY hasn't switched over to this "Superior" Product?

I can't believe Bushmaster puts their name on this crap.

This is yet another failure of this junk that people will sit an ponder how it was an AMMO issue, or Mag issue, or some other nonsense.  Maybe it was the sling he was using!
Link Posted: 7/16/2006 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]
+1
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#42]
One thing you guys should know.

Carbon fiber is only strong for a time period after that "time period" is over carbon fiber begins to get brittle and subject to failure.

i dont know if its true with the bushmaster recivers but i know you can only use a carbon fiber MTN bike for a few years or one season if you race them. the carbon fiver will only put up with stress for so long and then it turns brittle and breaks

just my 2 cents

glad your still in one piece
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
One thing you guys should know.

Carbon fiber is only strong for a time period after that "time period" is over carbon fiber begins to get brittle and subject to failure.

i dont know if its true with the bushmaster recivers but i know you can only use a carbon fiber MTN bike for a few years or one season if you race them. the carbon fiver will only put up with stress for so long and then it turns brittle and breaks

just my 2 cents

glad your still in one piece

Sheet wrap carbon fiber materials are the ones that wear out quick. Carbon composites are much stronger and have a much longer life span. Instead of starting with a sheet of woven material, they take multiple small pieces of the material and blend it with the resin or polymer, and press it into shape.    

Carbon fiber composite is a great material. Using it to make threaded areas or using polymer based carbon composites where heat is a factor is a big mistake though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I am glad you are OK, as I have just purchased (last week) a brand new Carbon 15 9mm carbine and this is making me a little skeptical. I guess we will see, as I have not fired it yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm glad you are ok, sorry about your rifle  How many rounds did you put through it before it kaboomed?
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Between 800-1000 rounds.  When it worked it worked great it.  I really enjoyed shooting it. I used polymer 9mm mags and they worked fine.  BTW Bushmaster's customer is really great.  They are taking care of me.  
Tony
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#48]
My Colt 9mm eats everything I feed it.  I’ll stick with the Winchester white box 9mm for mine.  Or my Ranger ammo.  

I’ll keep my 9mm Blazer aluminum cased ammo for other 9mm‘s.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I was wondering if there were pics or stories of any cheaper and "40% weaker" aluminum 9mm Colt type systems blowing apart?

I have seen an Oly 10mm out of battery detonation (with previously bulging brass) and no rifle damage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I was wondering if there were pics or stories of any cheaper and "40% weaker" aluminum 9mm Colt type systems blowing apart?

I have seen an Oly 10mm out of battery detonation (with previously bulging brass) and no rifle damage.

Excellent point.  A pistol round shouldn't blow the gun apart as much like a rifle round would.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top