Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:18:15 AM EDT
In your experience for the Ciener 22lr AR kits:
1)  Which brand works good (mini-mags, dynapoint, golden bullets, etc)?
2)  Which weight (36g, 40gr, etc)?
3)  Does it matter bullet type (JHP, LRN, etc)?

Wnat to break one in this Christmas and would like to get the best ammo for it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In your experience for the Ciener 22lr AR kits:

I have tried Dynapoints, Thunderbolts, Yellowjackets and a fist full of others.  Mini-mags run well but are too expensive for full-auto blasting.  I have had very good luck with the Federal bulk stuff from Wally-world.
My kit also has the Lakeside recoil spring installed.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Dynapoints are cheap, run well in mine, and stay subsonic for suppression
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Mini mags seem to be very consistent and are a good break in ammo. I am running PMC Zappers in mine,they are 1/2 the price of the mini mags and shoot groups about half the size also. They can be hard to find , the 38gr seem to work just as well as the 40gr type.
Bulk packed Rem golden has been horrible in my semi auto guns,some boxes are fair to good and some boxes will seem to have 10 duds out of every 100.Less accurate than the mini mags also.
Federal bulk plated high vel has been ok but still no more accurate than the mini mags.
Try to keep it clean and as soon as it starts to smooth up some (couple 100 rounds) try cleaning and running the rails dry to really slick it up.(you will have some failures but it will improve faster this way)
My broke in and smoothed up unit will shoot high velocity great,most standard velocity pretty reliable with much better accuracy than all the high velocity stuff, and it even functions pretty good with sub sonic stuff.
Eley target and the good fed gold medal target shoots the most accurate but is kinda expensive,Wolf MT is very accurate but is still pretty expensive now. SK standard (a target grade ammo) is very accurate but for plate shoots and the like I stick with the Zappers as the high velocity stuff is slightly more reliable.
I clean my unit and soak it down with simple spray silicone lube. Any oil just soaks up all the dirt and I can run a long afternoon of blasting without any gumming up.
Good luck with your unit!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine likes Dynapoints.
JR
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I try to shoot the plated stuff when possible. Winchester Super X 40 gr solids are my favorite.
CCI Blazer ammo runs $7.99 per brick around here and will function fine. Since  Blazer is recommended for the LM7 I have on order I keep a few bricks of them on hand as well.
My old Colt SP1 upper is set up for 22LR only - I removed the gas tube. I also run a couple of o-rings around the chamber adapter inside the barrel extension which really helps keep the action from "gunking up" so quickly.
I lube the rails with a few drops of Mobil 1 motor oil. Runs great in SA or FA!
One last  note: I have given up on bulk pack Remington 22LR ammo, total junk IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]

I've shot at least a couple mags of:  CCI Mini-Mags, Win Power Points, CCI SGB, CCI Subsonic HP, Wolf MT, Win Xpert, Rem GB 550 pack, Win Dynapoints, CCI  Blazer, Aguila SSS.  All worked OK except the SSS worked one time and jammed the other and the Xperts work sometimes and jam a lot sometimes.   I think they work OK when it's clean but not so well when it gets dirty.  And they seem to have some slightly oversize rounds that cause it to not quite go into battery and then FTFire and FTExt the live round.  

Not that I can tell.  

I'd stick with High-Vel until it's good and broken in before trying the slower stuff.  I believe JAC recommends Rem GBs, but in my experience Rem .22LR is about as inconsistent as you can get.  I mostly use the Federal 550 packs from Wal-Mart.  If you're going to shoot a lot it's probably better to stick with copper plated rather than the wax lubed.  (I think CCI like Mini-Mags have wax over the copper.)  Less likely to plug up the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I read somewhere (maybe the LM7 forum) that cheap CCI Blazer .22 is EXACTLY the same as expensive CCI mini-mags, minus the copper wash, which I think doesn't do all that much.

CCI Blazer .22 might be an excellent, all-around rimfire ammo.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I read somewhere (maybe the LM7 forum) that cheap CCI Blazer .22 is EXACTLY the same as expensive CCI mini-mags, minus the copper wash, which I think doesn't do all that much.

Will you be bringing some to Tom Bean with your Ciener / RDIAS set-up?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Will you be bringing some to Tom Bean with your Ciener / RDIAS set-up?

If my work schedule allows it.  I don't always have weekends off!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I like the blazer ammo but in all my guns it has run thru the chrono at quite a bit slower,so much so I doubt it is just the coating (or lack of) on the bullet
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine runs like a top in semi and full auto with bulk pack remington golden.  I am, however, using a Lakeside Guns recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine runs all ammo that I feed it.

To get it to run reliably, you must get the lakeside guns recoil springs.

Call them and tell them you have an AR-15/M-16 Ciener kit and you need recoil springs for it.  It costs $10 shipped for 3 of em.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Call them and tell them you have an AR-15/M-16 Ciener kit and you need recoil springs for it.  It costs $10 shipped for 3 of em.

I can't recommend this more.  Their spring kit now includes a stronger firing pin spring and weakened hammer spring as well.  This kit should solve 95% of kit problems people may experience.  The nice thing about the recoil springs (which are heavy duty and extra length so that the user may trim to suit their applications) is that you may even set up a particular spring for specific loads to include subsonic.  The spring kit is the shiznit and solved all my issues, before that, my kit was very ammo sensitive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Winchester t-22 40 grain standard volocity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't recommend this more.  Their spring kit now includes a stronger firing pin spring and weakened hammer spring as well.  This kit should solve 95% of kit problems people may experience.  The nice thing about the recoil springs (which are heavy duty and extra length so that the user may trim to suit their applications) is that you may even set up a particular spring for specific loads to include subsonic.  The spring kit is the shiznit and solved all my issues, before that, my kit was very ammo sensitive.

+1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
What effect, if any, when you install the Lakeside spring kit (with its weakened hammer spring) and then remove the Ciener / dedicated .22LR upper, and shoot your .223 upper again?  Any detrimental effect when shooting .223 with the weakened hammer spring.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, it is equivalent to the 15 min trigger job.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Broke in the kit today with minimags.  The 5th round did not go bang - had to load again and no problems 2nd time.  Other than that ran like a champ.  Both slow and rapid fire - not one hiccup.  Also shot acceptable groups.  My intention is not for a match grade gun - so this will be just right.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top