Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2004 4:00:40 AM EDT
Have you milled/cut out the rail in the inside?

Pictures??

Comments?
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm working on it in my spare time which has been slim lately, I just got off a 72 hour week
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
the only pics i have so far
The Sten mag is actually wider 1.5 inch vs. the UZI 1.375 so there is plenty of room for the .45 to fit if not for the rib

As you can see a Corbon hollow point will fit with ease but a ball will not load more than 2 rounds because of the rib

I will post more of the progress when i make it unless a manufacturer decides to build a .45 mag that will hold at least 20 rnds but i have seen nothing suggesting anybody will
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
No pics yet but i have cut the rib and it holds 13 rounds of ball.
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar problem with my 7.62/39 AR conversion all I did was sink the bullets into the case a little deeper then they fit into the mag no problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
How about M-3 grease gun mags?  Check out www.dalphon.com
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
dalphon is gone
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
here they are

the rod is to fill the hole and the die grinder is what i used to cut it. You'll have to massage the hole cut to get the burr off and DO NOT CUT THE ENTIRE LENGTH! leave material at the top and bottom to hold the correct dimensions of the mag, theres no need to cut the bottom anyway because the follower sets there. Like i said before 13 rnds is all i could stuff in it, i may try tweaking the spring and follower, one mag i have has a shorter follower. With Christmas and the holidays i havent had time to work on it so i dont know when i'll get the block added and the rod welded in and Moly coated. So if your cheap like me and have some tools you can make your own .45 mag a WHOLE lot less than you can buy one besides my UZI mag only holds 13 rnds too, it cost $60 the sten mag has about $15 invested in it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
tag ..

By rod to fill the hole, you mean to allow the socom block to still catch, correct?  

I made one this AM, haven't test fired it yet.  I hogged out a lot more material from the back.  It was a Dalphon-type, and I welded the adapter block back on when I was done.  When I get the fed lips tuned, I will do two more oly-types.  It does hold 16 rounds, and I drilled holes in the follower to allow the use of a tool to assist loading, since the slot allows access to the follower.  Rev B may include a thumbbusting loading button.

I am also interested in what tool and/or process you used to cut the remainder of the rib in the closed section of the magazine.  I used a die grinder, but it was not easy.  I also cut the slot pretty wide and will probably add reinforcement to prevent the mag from bulging.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine ran like gang busters.  I put about 150 rounds of 230gr LRN and FMJ  through it yesterday. I am going to start on a second one and try to make it look better.  The Sten mag holds 16 .45 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mine ran like gang busters.  I put about 150 rounds of 230gr LRN and FMJ  through it yesterday. I am going to start on a second one and try to make it look better.  The Sten mag holds 16 .45 rounds.

I can only stuff 13 in it and thats really trying, and i'm eliminating the socom block and welding a new one to the mag and thats a thin cut-off wheel i used with the grinder and a steady hand

havent had much time to finish I've been building new beds for my kids and the holidays have put a damper on projects plus i ran out of wire for my welder
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Got any pics? especially of the spring and follower to see what the diff is in mine, i tried another spring and follower and still got 13 rnds, guess i'll have to do some trimming
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got any pics? especially of the spring and follower to see what the diff is in mine, i tried another spring and follower and still got 13 rnds, guess i'll have to do some trimming

I have been traveling and didn't have time to make a photo quality mag.  I did not modify the spring or follower.  I initially used my drill press to load the mag, and then at the range I was able to load the mag by hand.  Hopefully I will be able to work on a couple more this weekend......
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
OH..... gonna tag this one!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#17]
In trying this conversion I noticed that semi-wadcutters or hollowpoints were short enough that they did not require the rib to be removed. I don't have my upper completed yet as I am waiting for bolt and barrel from Oly. I'll test FA with semi-wadcutters and see how it goes. Since I expect to use my own reloads I'm hoping not to have to remove the rib.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm running an relatively unmodified Sten mag body now, I just shortened up the overall length of my reloads to 1.22 inches(I think, not at the bench right now).

As I was in a hurry, and skeptical, I epoxied the 3/16 rod to fill the follower depression, tweaked the feed lips outward slightly, and ground a bit off the front lip of the mag body.

The magazine runs pretty good, except for an occasional first round feed failure(the first round always looks like it is at too extreme of an angle).  I'm getting 14 rounds in the mag....

Interestingly enough, I found a wide variation - over .050, on the inside width of the magazine, which caused my first Sten conversion to fail miserably....I just swapped the follower, tweaked the lips, and ground the snout, and was up and running on this last one.

With that said, I'm still not satisfied with the Sten magazine setup, or capacity.  I bought a couple of Thompson and Grease Gun mags to play with this weekend.  Need to pick up one of those Calvary lowers and try it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
There was this picture that I got from an auction a while ago.... it was a for a Sten gun.  It consisted of a barrel and modified Sten mag to fire 7.62x25.  The mag rib was milled off some how.  Some people said it would be hard to do that, possibly having to remove the outer later of sheet metal only to be returned after milling (that was before the ban).  With the ban done and gone, one 'could' just ill through the two layers.....

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
The mags I intend to use are two Sten mags welded together that have a 55 round 9MM capacity.  I expect them to hold 32 or more 45acp rounds.

Dalphon used to modify Grease gun mags by squeezing the upper mag body so it would fit the AR mag well. While that is doable I like the idea of using a magwell adapter for the Sten mags instead of welding on an adapter. I suppose an adapter could be made for the Grease gun mags as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked on this problem [ no hi-caps for .45]  for a month or two without coming up with anything that was really what I wanted [ 30 rd mags]  I finaly got pissed at the project enough that I made a steel lower to take unmodified grease-gun mags. It uses a MAC-10 type mag catch . Ive had one on my rental wall at my range for 2 or 3 months now renting it as a full-auto . Works good and a lot of fun.  I don't think we have pictures on the website , if you're intrested e-mail me and I can send a few shots.    
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Well i finished mine and i'm not satisfied, 13 rounds no more and i just about have to stand on it to get 13, but it seems to be working good so i'll use it.

On the other hand check out my 9mm mag

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]
tag this one
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top