BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have limited access to a camera, and I can't get pics right now...sorry. They still look identical to the pic on the first page.

I had only the 2 mags loaded with 30rds each.....they functioned PERFECT. Now I will try get out again soon and test them with alot more ammo. I don't have a hold open option on my ASA mag block, so no comment if the work that way.

I will probably buy a few more...if I can get them for under $20 each.

They aren't the ideal mag, but you know...they are pretty good....and they shoot...so far anyway.
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, so they work, and are of good quality.

Where do we buy the "New and Improved" magazines?

BTW, thanks alot for the review.
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
direct looks cheapest so far
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's where I got mine....they are $24.95 each......I hope someone can get them cheaper.

Mags
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
HK Dude, thanks for the reveiw.  I am going to order one and try it out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of the early versions of this mag and had the same problems everybody else had. Seems the biggest problem was that the feed lips were too flimsy and wouldn't hold the rounds properly. As best as I could measure, the mag body was 52/64's wide but at the feed lips it was 57/64's.

I sent the thing back to ProMag on their lifetime waranty and am waiting for the "new & improved" version to show up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot my AR9mm a little more....

90 rounds through each mag with Zero problems so far.

I suggest doing what Shawnr1 did....order 1, make sure YOU like it...then get more if you do.

I have decided these work for me, but they may not be for everyone....quality-wise.

Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought one from your link HK-DUDE nice company they are. Let you know how it goes later.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of stock but...
Natchez - $14.55
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn now that is cheap
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these last-shot-bolt-hold-open?

Just got a SGN today.  The Natchez ad in there has them for $13.58.  I imagine you'd have to call them to get this price.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I called Natchez and they have no stock and don't expect any for several weeks.

Doug
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Wherever you guys get them, just make sure they are the latest, newest design.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I called Natchez and they have no stock and don't expect any for several weeks.

Doug

So either 1) they sold out 2) they are advertising in hopes of getting sales and that their product arrives before the issue came out???
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I only want 3 more....I may just bite the bullet and pay the $24.95 from the source that I KNOW has the latest and greatest.

No, I have no connection to that guy....but he's great to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got my mag  I haven't loaded any rounds in it yet.  I looked it over and took it apart.  The bolt hold open feature works.  Drops free when empty only.

Edited: Bolt hold open does not work properly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The mags look great... and ribbed too!  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Well they look good enough.  What kind of block are you using Shawn?
I guess they would work in a Hahn block?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#19]
david

I'm using an ASA block.  It is modified to work with a 9mm bolt catch.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
david

I'm using an ASA block.  It is modified to work with a 9mm bolt catch.

Can you tell us since the bolt catch works with your modified ASA block, should it work with a Colt/RRA block?  

Sorry for asking this question, but I'm only familiar with the Colt/RRA block.  

Plus.  Thanks to everyone for your research into an alternative to the high cost of 9mm Colt style mags.    

Great site for info.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Colt_SBR

I'm not familiar with the Colt/RRA block.  I think it should work.  

The bolt hold open tab on the Pro Mag is similar to the ones on the Colt mags with plastic followers.  The Pro Mag followers look like the Uzi/Colt (metal) followers.  I have some pics that I am going to post later that compare the Colt and Pro Mag followers.  I have some pics that compare the Colt and Pro Mag followers.  

I will post pics later.........going to the range to see how the mag function.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got back from testing my mag out at the range.  The mag function with no feeding problems.  

Earlier I posted that the mag would lock the bolt back.  Well, it did when it was empty.  The bolt did not hold open after the last round while firing.  The follower gets pushed away from the bolt catch after the last round.  

Here is a pic of the mag loaded..........tab not contacting the catch.

The top of the follower look like it was filed down.  

These are the only two problems that I noticed about the mag.  This would be a great mag (for me) if these problems didn't exist.  If I didn't want the bolt hold open feature it would be a keeper.

Here are some more pics:

top: Pro Mag, bottom: Colt

left: Colt, right: Pro Mag

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like there is a little play forward-to-back.  Any possiblity of glueing/jb welding a little more tab to the back of something on the front of the follower so the tab stays far enough back to push up on the bolt catch?

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]
DAMMIT!!!!  I own 7 colt mags and I paid an average of 75 bucks each for them.  I did that cause they are the only friggin ones that work fully.  And a colt 9mm 10 incher with BHO is possibly the finest carbine in the world.  Without the BHO, it's just not that special....

Having said that, I would buy about 20-25 of the new mags if they simply WORKED!!!  It seems from the colt mags and the conversions available online that the follower has to be made out of - not only metal - but a particulalry strong and resilient metal.  ProMag doesn't strike me as capable of this ("this" being "quality"), but of course, if mecgar got in the game.....  

We should really be working on a group buy from mec-gar.  Any mag that has to put a waffle exterior on is hidingsome functional problem.

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Dawg,

I think that could be a possible fix.  I had the same idea.  The front of the follower has an area that needs to be built up more to push it back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I called Mecgar, they are not allowed to sell the mags to the public because of contracts and they apparantly don't own the tooling. That's what I was told anyhow
One of my newer Colt mags will do that same thing with the follower tipping forward and not locking the bolt back.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#27]
As I said in an earlier post, I had one of the early versions of the mag and it was FUBAR. Sent it back to ProMag on 11/23, they got it on 11/29 and UPS brought me a brand new one today. Pretty good service. Now to get it to the range and see how it does.

Remember that ProMag has a lifetime warranty on their products. If any of you guys have mags that are bad, send them back for free replacements.

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm fine with free replacements, but if they don't function 100% in my shtf gun, then what's the point?
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I have 10 Colt mags that I paid too much for, but by God they run.  I wish MecGar would make some new ones, since I, too, need/want the BHO to work.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Remember that ProMag has a lifetime warranty on their products. If any of you guys have mags that are bad, send them back for free replacements.

USA has a lifetime guarentee on their magazines also.  It only expires when you get tired of exchanging one POS magazine for another POS magazine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder why Colt doesn't release more 9mm AR mags.  They still sell their 9mm SMG and have to still make the mags for the SMG's.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

USA has a lifetime guarentee on their magazines also.  It only expires when you get tired of exchanging one POS magazine for another POS magazine.
-----------------------------

I can't disagree with that. USA mags are about the most worthless POS on the planet. However, I'm reserving judgment on the new ProMag until I can test it on the range. If it runs without a problem in full auto, then it will be a great alternative to to the almost nonexistant and still expensive ($50 LEO cost), Colt mags. Even if it hiccups in full auto but works OK in semi, it will still be a good deal for those guys who don't have a subgun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I wonder why Colt doesn't release more 9mm AR mags.  They still sell their 9mm SMG and have to still make the mags for the SMG's.  

Colt_SBR  

I take it Colt has gone the "LEO only, we hate civilians although we can barely stay in business" route with their 9mm mags too?

Pardon my language, but fucking morons.  It is a wonder they don't go bankrupt every year with their business strategy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Cannon_Guy

Could you compare the Pro Mag you just received to mine?
I think the mag I received was not the latest and greatest.

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I just bought 2 of these mags, and they suck.  I paid $22.00 ea. and they will be on their way back to Promag Monday.  I think they are the first run type, since the bulged so bad they are really tough to insert, and will not feed a round.

Hopefully the second gen. are an improvement.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#36]

I just got back from testing my mag out at the range. The mag function with no feeding problems.

Earlier I posted that the mag would lock the bolt back. Well, it did when it was empty. The bolt did not hold open after the last round while firing. The follower gets pushed away from the bolt catch after the last round.

Here is a pic of the mag loaded..........tab not contacting the catch.

The top of the follower look like it was filed down.

These are the only two problems that I noticed about the mag. This would be a great mag (for me) if these problems didn't exist. If I didn't want the bolt hold open feature it would be a keeper.

Here are some more pics:

top: Pro Mag, bottom: Colt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted :: 12/9/2004 3:30:30 PM
Last Edited :: 12/9/2004 3:31:04 PM by Shawnr1

Today I received my Promag for my AR15 9mm.  I had the same problem as Shawnr1.  I removed the follwer and built-up its front with a thin beed of JB Weld.  Once finished I filed away the excess from the edges.  When you remove the follower you will see a thin vertical guide line.  Build-up the front of the follower with JB Weld just enough to cover this line.  This worked perfectly for me.

Mike

Link Posted: 12/14/2004 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Maybe they simply don't have any to sell?

At the Funshow yesterday I ran into a dealer who had 5 32rd'ers on the table.  He wanted $125.00 each for them!  He wouldn't budge on price at all, then he added he had over 100 of them in stock!

Link Posted: 12/14/2004 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Today I received my Promag for my AR15 9mm.  I had the same problem as Shawnr1.  I removed the follwer and built-up its front with a thin beed of JB Weld.  Once finished I filed away the excess from the edges.  When you remove the follower you will see a thin vertical guide line.  Build-up the front of the follower with JB Weld just enough to cover this line.  This worked perfect.

How about some pics?  Perhaps you should make a write up and forward it to Promag?
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]

At the Funshow yesterday I ran into a dealer who had 5 32rd'ers on the table. He wanted $125.00 each for them! He wouldn't budge on price at all, then he added he had over 100 of them in stock!

That's why the butt monkey has 100 of them! I'm all for people making money, but that's not right.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#40]
How about some pics? Perhaps you should make a write up and forward it to Promag?

I would be more than happy to add pictures to my posting.  The problem is I just don't know how.  I will photograph the modification and save it to my computer.  Once I find how to upload on this site I will add the pictures to my post.

Mike8750
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
How about some pics? Perhaps you should make a write up and forward it to Promag?

I would be more than happy to add pictures to my posting.  The problem is I just don't know how.  I will photograph the modification and save it to my computer.  Once I find how to upload on this site I will add the pictures to my post.

Mike8750

Ask a silver or gold team member nicely (liek one who wants to see pics) and they can host them.  Of find a free online hosting place.  Don't try and host from a Geocities account or anything like that, they don't allow file sharing like that (the jerks!).

Dawg
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I have not got around to adding JB Weld to my follower yet.

Here are some pics of the front guide on the follower

Link Posted: 12/14/2004 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Can someone explain what JB weld is? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#44]
It's similar to a 2 part epoxy, it comes in 2 tubes and you mix equal parts....it kicks ass....dries kinda grayish black.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you for posting those pictures shawnr1.  Now people can visualize what I was writing about.  This modification should work perfectly for you.

mikes8750
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I added JB Weld to the tab that contact the bolt catch.  I tried it out yesterday and it worked perfect.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I just received the Sportsman's Guide ( ) flyer in the mail today.   They have these for $17.97ea, or a 3-pack for $44.97.   Unfortunately, I don't know if these are the "old style" or the newer improved models.    I don't go to their website, but the item number is AX5A-90950.

Can anyone post a photo of the old and new side-by-side for comparison?   I'd like to know what to look for if I come across some of these at a show.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just received the Sportsman's Guide ( ) flyer in the mail today.   They have these for $17.97ea, or a 3-pack for $44.97.   Unfortunately, I don't know if these are the "old style" or the newer improved models.    I don't go to their website, but the item number is AX5A-90950.

Can anyone post a photo of the old and new side-by-side for comparison?   I'd like to know what to look for if I come across some of these at a show.   Thanks!

Natchezess has them in stock for alot less. I have three of them they look like new ones since they did not have them in stock until a  few days ago, they must be new style. I took a Bastard file to the sides and made them drop free out of my RRA block. I done one before like this and no problems with it yet. Will try all 4 of them tommorow at the range
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I took a Bastard file to the sides and made them drop free out of my RRA block. I done one before like this and no problems with it yet. Will try all 4 of them tommorow at the range

Do you have the old RRA block for Colt mags or the new one for the seamed Uzi mags? I'm just wondering how close of a fit it would be to the new block.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I have the block that uses the allen screw to tighten in place. It was purchased new last year. I use modified Uzi mags in it too. The modified Uzi mags came from RRA and Adco.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top