BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/5/2003 2:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11]
1- I have noticed in the adapter thread that a few people are having trouble with the mag staying in the block...the mag catch on the block is backward as we all know, allows the catch to "CAM" if you pull on mag hard enough. Mag catch on UZI is other direction, if you pull on mag, it pulls the catch into the magwell frame tighter.

I have been looking at mine and farting around, and I see mine allows the mag to be pulled out rather easy--- without using the release button.

Repair/fitting:

First remove the catch from the block-- use a 5/64" roll pin punch Use the punch for a temporary pivot pin when inspecting your work.

Strip a mag down to the bare tube, and slide it into the block. With the catch dummied up via the pin punch, look inside and see if the ear of the catch is visible in the mags' slot....

Use a file and lightly file the pad that holds the mag--- my pad was too thick.... inspect....
Do this until you can see the ear of the catch even with the inside wall of the tube. You will notice that the thumb paddle on the catch will pivot up over the blocks' surface a little also, but a 1911 type extended mag release button may be in order also... Mine now clicks sharply, and cannot pull the mag out, the catch has a nice "bite" on the mag now.

PICS REPLACED 9-29-2008

2- The std flat back IMI mags don't fit-

Inspection findings so far:

Seems the "ribbed" back mags fit fine.. the radius on the "flat" mags is farther back than the "ribbed" mags, and the radius' point hits the radius in the magwell at the rear, I have not done anything here yet, the mags are a little wider at the rear, than at the front, depth wise seems identical. So maybe a file in the blocks' 2 rear radius may take care of that, along with removal of some of the material in the well from where the cutter that made those 2 large "windows" left a pad in the magwell area.

REPAIR:
Late this afternoon I took a long flat file and filed surface to remove the chatter marks (high spots) on the front and rear walls where the mag would ride up in the adapter,,,,nothing touched on the left and right sides, then I took a rat tail file and worked the rear radius' at each corner.. just enogh to allow the mag to slide in, and not rattle to any degree. I found it easiest to drive out the roll pins and remove the feed ramp at the front, and remove the ejector, so you can have file extend all way through the adapter inside.

Now mine will accept the 25 and 32 mags with the flat rear. Hand cycled a full 32 round mag, all good there.....Need to go fire the crazy thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I found a couple of problems that I had to address with the dremel.

First: The bolt catch/release ear caught the rear of the adapter and then jammed against the back. I ground out quite a bit of the rear of the magblock and ramped the top of it. Now the bolt catch moves and functions just fine.

Second: I ramped the top of the rear of the magblock. I found that it was difficult to use the charging handle to move the bolt. Used some spray powder marking paste over the mag adaptor and found where the bolt was dragging/hitting. Same for the bolt release ear. Grind, grind, grind until no more interference.

Third: I beveled both sides just a hair at the top. I found that my upper has a slight bevel where the mag adapter fits against it. This was one of the things that was forcing me to open the upper/lower assembly to insert properly. Again, marking powder worked really well for this.

Now, I can insert the adapter without opening the gun. The mag release button will fit flush when it is in place and release it. There is no drag when charging the bolt and the Texaco mags (stars) fit well. I hand cycled 20 rounds and everything went well.

Now, if I can just get out to the range and try this......

BTW, this is in an OLY lower/Colt upper.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:58:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#2]
I did a few of SBR7_11 fixes and they seemed to be just what the Doctor ordered...

I removed the block's mag catch and filed down the half-round pad that is machined or cast into the back of the catch, now my mags stay put. If I pull to beat all hell I can still get my IMI mags out, but who the heck would do that when shooting. My south African mags wouldn't come out if you used a truck.

I also "squared" of the inside back radius area and a few more of my mags now actually fit.

This block will be the cat's meow once we make a few needed small changes. Hey, it's actually kind of fun to play around with it a little. You also get a feeling of achievement.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:28:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#3]
Ohhhhh....opps. Well, evidently by doing what I did achieved the same results. The "Tooth" on the mag catch goes into the mag deeper and it holds the mag in. It works real good with unloaded and loaded mags.

I was a little unclear about the "pad" you refered to, but this worked good....Damn, I looked really stupid for a minute...yes, only for a minute;)
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
marking for future reference
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mario_FAMOInc] [#5]
[red]Well after a few hundred rounds through my mag block it was starting to release from the host gun when I would inadvertantly hit the standard M-16 mag catch button.  Since my finger would reach for the standard button by simple memory reflex, I could see that it was going to be a problem for me.[/red]

[purple]NOTE: This fix is impractical unless you are dedicating a lower to the 9mm conversion since the standard mag release button becomes almost inoperable for regular use.[/purple]

[blue]The fix:[/blue]
I removed the standard M-16 mag release button, spring and catch.  I then used a cutoff wheel on my Dremel to cut the last four threads off of the catch.  After touching up the cut with a stone and B'wood Casey touch up marker I reassembled the mag release.  By rotating (screwing in) the catch as far as it would go the button ended up flush with the side of the receiver and does not lend itself well to being pushed in by finger.  

To insert the mag block, push the M-16 mag release button all the way in with a derylin take down pin tool or similar tool until the mag block inserts all the way in and then release the mag release.  The M-16 mag release button should be flush with the side of the receiver.  If it is not, screw/unscrew the catch as needed.

It is a simple and easy fix to a very real problem and the end result looks slick.  I scanned a pic (below) of the results.  Sorry it isn't a closer shot.

[img]http://www.famoinc.com/files/VMHiTech_Mag_Block_in_Bushy.jpg[/img]    

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, got mine to the range today after the repairs noted in earlier post.

Mag block fit in fine. Nice and tight. Used only the texaco(Star) IMI mags to test.

Ran about 40 rounds semi auto. Everything went nicely. Ran about 200 full auto and everything went well also. I had one mag that seemed to pop loose and thru things into a spin for a minute, but checking the catch and insuring everything stayed tight took care of the problem.

Ran a couple of 25 round bursts and everything ran nicely.

Might have to try the mag catch adaptation that SBR7_11 discussed in the earlier post.

BTW. Ran S&B thru most of the time. Tried the Radway Green also. I really like that way that stuff goes! It is hot.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to do some work on the mag catch button on the mag block adapter and put on a raised button of some sort to make it easier to find and push.  

In the meantime I stuck a piece of rubberized, textured pool tape on it.  It worked so well that I am going to keep it like this until, and if, it proves to be inadequet or VM Hi Tech comes out with an improved version.

Mario
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Mario!

John called me at home the other night, Monday I think it was, around 9:30pm EST. He asked for me by name, and wanted to know if I was still interested in a block.  I told him I had mine already, and Lane had got it for me,, he remembered Lane. Asked if all was ok, and said he had been following AR15.com thread about the adapter. I felt funny owning up to this thread, told him I authored it and described the minor issues I had to correct, he seemed really interested to improve upon the product. I did mention the backwards mag release, he siad they are going to address putting some kind of pad or something to fatten the release paddle,,, I told him I was just going to install an extended 1911 style mag release button, he said the release' paddle should be drillable.

I told him mine works as intended, and that the ejector was right on the money when the block installed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, he called me too.  Not long after I got my block... probably August 5 or so.

I told him of my impressions and some thoughts that I had and he seemed receptive to them.  I told him about the threads over here and he said that he had been reading them with interest.

I have a feeling that there will be a Model 2 in the works by about this time next year.

Take care,
Mario
FAMO, Inc.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#10]
Well, another mod done....

3- The mag release button is kinda dificult to operate/too flat/needs larger pad-button.

Repair:

I took and had to replace the missing extended mag release buttons on my 1911's,,,, so I got a 3rd for the Hy-Tech mag release.
Chuck at Shooters Connection has a simple .375" diameter steel button for $6 with the screw.

I took and tried to drill the release button with a simple black #43 bit from Sears, would not touch it... tried a #43 bit (shiney) and still nothing.  I did find a couple yellow/gold colored bits I had laying around from a couple yr ago (got them at Sears also.... the .092" bit went right through the release, though it was .003" bigger than the #43 I was supposed to use, the 4-40 hole tapped fine.

The button is now secured to the release with the screw, and it barely takes any thought/effort to release a mag... I have also been smoothing my previous filing of the rear corners with 240 sandpaper around a cleaning rod, and have the mags (flat rear) falling right out when button pushed. I did a little more polishing to the catchs' edge that drags the mag, so it slides on the mag tube easier, and radiused the edges in the magwell opening so the mags would find home a little easier, rather than hanging on the sharp edges from initial machining. I'm going to have to get my block re-anodized if I keep working on it.....

PIC UPDATED 9-29-2008 -

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys keep comming up with some cool solutions...  I need to read this again with my 9mm parts tonight but I am still trying to appreciate...

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:
Or you could simply buy the Hy-Tech block, do a little clean up to it, and use the plain old Uzi mags as-is..... use your notching money to buy more mags.
View Quote

So, can you help me understand the mechanics of how this block changes things around?  Does this change still work with the AR-15 mag release or do you drop the mag with the new release you added in the last couple pics?

Also, may I ask for your help to put this project together so we can put a page together like we did for the Sten project...

[url]http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/colt2stenmags.html[/url]

I love these forums but after 6-months things drop off the bottom if we don't save the info somewhere else!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#12]
Hey there!!! I was wonder if maybe you would take interest..

The block for the most part does the same thing that the  Colt clones do, align the mag for use in Colt pattern system, and hold the feed ramp and ejector.
This block is held in place via the std mag catch, and the blocks sidewalls are taller than the Colt style blocks, so downward pressure from the upper causes the block to push down when upper is closed, and makes it difficult to push the std mag release to accidently drop the block. The added material on the bottom is to give a place for the Uzi mag release, as it uses plain Uzi mags.

Mag change is std Uzi drill, via the release on the bottom of the block.. I just added a 1911 button to give the release button some "meat", easier to operate (if you are 1911 shooter, you'll understand).

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been trying to figure out where I can buy one of these blocks....  Anybody have a link or contact info?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged for reference.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.vmhytech.com/tactical.html

$149.99 each

I am tossing around the idea of buying one myself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Good info.  Anyone know  if these minor kinks have been worked out?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Good question, I e-mailed vmhytech a couple of weeks ago and asked pretty much the same thing, if I got a reply I missed it in the junk mail filter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
i shot them an email today.  I got a return receipt from a John Cencioso but no reply.  I wonder what his problem is
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
tagged
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I sent my money off today for a VM magwell adapter after talking to John at VM Hytech. He says the models available now have a larger magazine well and raised button. As soon as I get I will post pics for you all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Offspring,
Did John mention if the new raised button is interchangable with the old one?
Mario
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't ask and he didn't say. Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/8/2004 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#24]
any updates on these blocks?  Did VM fix these little issues?
Link Posted: 1/9/2004 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Hoplite:
any updates on these blocks?  Did VM fix these little issues?
View Quote

ditto, I have been waiting to buy until this was fixed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2004 6:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Offspring] [#26]
I just got my VM Mag block. It was tight as hell in my Bushmaster lower, but I think it is "permantently" in there now. I can't press the mag release and pull it out. The mag release button is raised, I have some cheap uzi mag I got off Cheaper Than Dirt and it slides in fine and the mag catch holds it in place with a firm thump on the on the bottom of the mag to seat it. Below are some pics.

edited to add: I haven't shot it yet. Will do that next weekend. I hand cycled 5 snap caps repeatedly with a couple FTE. That could have been user error. Also the mag release doesn't look that ugly to the naked eye. I guess the camera brings the worst out. I think I am going to sand that a bit.

[img]www.vetreview.org/personal/DSCN0001.JPG[/img]
[img]www.vetreview.org/personal/DSCN0003.JPG[/img]
[img]www.vetreview.org/personal/DSCN0008.JPG[/img]
[img]www.vetreview.org/personal/DSCN0019.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2004 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Offspring,
Looks good.

My mag block fit real tight in my BFI to begin with and then after a while was removeable by hitting the standard mag release.  That's what prompted me to disable the mag release button (see post above).

I tried to contact John at VM Hytech a couple of times and have gotton no reply.  I guess that I'll have to live with the textured tape on my button for now...

I really like the looks of the beveled mag opening, is it as funneled as it looks?

Mario
Link Posted: 1/9/2004 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#28]
They were closed for 2 weeks during Christmas. He was quick to respond to phone messages. I just pryed my mag block out. It slides right into my Colt. Think I will do some sanding later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, I'll give him a call Monday.
Mario
Link Posted: 1/10/2004 10:17:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SBR7_11] [#30]

Originally Posted By Offspring:
I just got my VM Mag block. It was tight as hell in my Bushmaster lower, but I think it is "permantently" in there now. I can't press the mag release and pull it out. The mag release button is raised, I have some cheap uzi mag I got off Cheaper Than Dirt and it slides in fine and the mag catch holds it in place with a firm thump on the on the bottom of the mag to seat it. Below are some pics.

edited to add: I haven't shot it yet. Will do that next weekend. I hand cycled 5 snap caps repeatedly with a couple FTE. That could have been user error. Also the mag release doesn't look that ugly to the naked eye. I guess the camera brings the worst out. I think I am going to sand that a bit.

Soooo, does it accept the "flat" rear mags freely, as I am wondering if John altered his CNC program to cut the rear corners a weeee bit wider..... From most of the responses, it seems this small detail that could be quickly addressed with a file by user has scared off some potential buyers, besides the flat release button.

The button-release in your pic looks kind of "chunkie" on the surface... maybe a good sand blast an re-park will take care of that.

EDITED-->>>> here is pic of mag release that has button, and parts "parked by Todd @ Ohio Rapid Fire... due to diferent steel alloys used for paddle and button, the button is a silver/grey color, and the paddle is grey/black color, adds alittle contrast to the whole works---

As to your "ejects",, look at the ejector, make sure it is as close as possible to the bolt, as its surface contact to case is minimal (stupid Colt design).... simply look in eject port, pull bolt back slowly, see if eject finger is as tight fit as possible to contact case, I need to get pic to show what to look for, but you should see it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2004 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#31]
No FTEs or FTFs today while shooting, must have been user error when hand cycling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2004 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mario_FAMOInc:
Thanks, I'll give him a call Monday.
Mario
View Quote

Any news yet ?
Been waiting to buy this for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2004 11:49:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mario_FAMOInc] [#33]
ilikelegs-
No, I got distracted in the meantime and never called.  I'll write the number down again and try to do it Monday.

The magwell works great for me without any modifications at all so the retro fit on the button isn't a big thing.  The disabling that I did of the button on the lower and the texture tape on the VM HyTech button have worked for me re: finding the mag release.  

I guess the big thing that helped me the most was that I was ready to buy bulk mags for my UZI when I got the VM HyTech block.  I tested a bunch of different mags in it that came with, and already worked in, my UZI and then bought in bulk the one that worked the best in both magwells.  I've got two dozen of all the same 32 round mags now that work in both guns.

Mario
Link Posted: 1/27/2004 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
HEY!  WAKE UP!

John over at VM HyTech got in touch with me today and is sending me a raised button mag release for my first generation mag well block.  He said that it will drop right in.

He told me to post over here for any of you guys that bought the first generation blocks to contact him if you want the retro-fit raised button release.

The best part?  IT'S FREE!

[url]http://www.vmhytech.com/tactical.html[/url]

Mario
Link Posted: 1/28/2004 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Now things are starting to get interesting. I've been thinking about replacing my HK-94 with a 9mm AR. This could be the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Alright! Time to order one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I got the second gen mag release button from VM HyTech and it dropped right in, as advertised.  

Thanks to John at VM HyTech!
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been holding off buying one of these until it took all Uzi magazines and the magazine release was fixed.

Does the current version of this adapter come with the raised magazine release and already milled to accept all factory Uzi magazines?
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Deanh-
Get in touch with Offspring who posted at the top of page two, he seems to be in possession of a new version.
Mario
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought two, one for me and one for another board member.

It had the raised knob, and works well.

Mine didn't like the imi 25 round mags.  A little touch up with a metal file fixed that.  Now it works well.

The other person's block was a much better first fit than mine.  He will likely need to file a little, but not near as much as mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By frisco:
I just bought two, one for me and one for another board member.

View Quote

[wave]

I finally got one.
Thanks again frisco.
Now we will see if this POS 9mm
of mine will finally work right.
It will be used heavily on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Good news with my mag block. The 9mm is finally
a reliable gun.

A few of the brand new mags are a tight fit and
they will not stay latched in the mag block if they
are fully loaded. I think filing the notch where
it catches the release will work enough. My old
beater Uzi mags work the best. I have shot over
500 rounds with the new block and most of those
rounds were bump fired.

I'm very happy with the Hy-Tech block.
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Has anyone ordered the block from Brownells recently, and was it the "2nd version" with the raised mag release button?

Dawg
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:
Has anyone ordered the block from Brownells recently, and was it the "2nd version" with the raised mag release button?

Dawg
View Quote

yes and yes
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Frisco!

Just waiting to save up a couple more $$$ and I will have my 9mm A3 w/VM Hytech.  Yeeha! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I went shooting this weekend with the 9mm
and the feed ramp on the mag block broke.

So I will be seeing about getting this replaced.
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:
I just got two new VM blocks for use on my guns, it appears they are made to only work with rounded magazines.

Well the mags I have are square, and I don't particularly like the idea of it not being able to use ANY uzi mag, just specific ones.

So I spent over 3 hours yesterday using files to square up all the inside edges of the magazine well, test my magazines for fit as I went a long.  I got the one so all my mags slide in easy and drop free.  I'm going to finish off the job with some emery cloth on the inside of the mag well to polish everything out.  I may or may not have it reanodized, I'm not sure that it's particularly important.
View Quote

Yeah, I was disappointed by mine in that respect, too.  I have 5 of the painted south african contract 25 rd mags from Vector, and they all have square backs.  It took me about an hour with the file remove the radii on the rear corners.  Now all my mags go in.  They don't drop free, but I don't know if they are supposed to.  I realize it takes extra machining steps to square off the rear corners, but it would make life a lot easier for all of us with square-backed mags.  Since the corners don't take a lot of wear, I don't think I'm going to bother with re-anodizing.

Other than the fact that none of my mags would fit, it's a nice piece of kit.  [;)]  It fits nice & tight in my magwell, and it has the raised mag release.

I did a variation of Mario's fix for not ejecting the block (although mine doesn't fall when I hit the AR mag release).  I screwed the mag catch in all the way, which leaves a few mm of screw sticking out of the middle of the mag release.  It is a reminder when I go to hit the AR mag release, because I feel the sharper end of the screw instead of the flat button.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#50]
The magblock I got from Brownells wont take the square mags; they wont even start in the magwell.
I have emailed HyTech.
I also have a problem with all the Uzi mags.  The cartridge cases sit too low in the mags.  The lips hold the cartridges down so that don't come up all the way in the back.  Causes the bolt to override them instead of stripping them from the mag.  Tried to bend one of the IMI lips and it began to crack.  Too brittle I guess.

Did anyone else have this problem?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top