Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The "sten block" is not a perfect solution.  It brings up issues as w/ the original 2 peice colt block.  And many do not want to pin it in, if and when production starts.  With less then a year to go with the ban, the Sten block might be a victim of "time".  If the ban sets, new manufacture of "colt" mags will resume, making the block useless.

So will the idea of engineering guns to fit existing mags.  Oh well, time will tell and we shall see....
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The sten mags will always be MUCH cheaper then the colt mags.
Yeah when the ban sunsets the new colt mag prices will drop down to around $30 or so but you will never get the price back down to the pre-ban prices.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:06:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#3]
DrugRunR,

I agree that mag prices of Colt Mags will never go as low as Sten mags but the Colt mags are easily worth the 10x the price when you give them a try.  Personally, if Colt mags return to below $40/ea I will buy a dozen just for the last round bolt catch and the quality of these mags.  I have one Colt mag, and I bought it damaged, and I like it a whole lot better than the the other options except for the insane prices they have gotten to...

Sten mags are cheap and they work but they don't work as well as the UZI or Colt mags.  I think this thread is great as it adds another option to the AR-15 platform and as I had said before, I have the parts to try this myself but I seem to have too little time.

Personally, I think this is why these Sten Mag blocks have not been moved to a comercial production as at this point people, like me, are waiting to see what the law and mag prices does.  Just the same, I think I have about 4-dz sten mags at home just in case these were the last HCs I could get...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
QB, I am not gonna go the sten mag route.
Just like you, I am gonna use the UZI mags for now in the HY-tech block and get a ASA block for when the ban goes away and I can snag up the LEO Colt mags for cheap.

But I beleive that there is a market for someone if they want to make a STEN MAG adaptor that is relaible.  But on the other hand, I just saw that post of the custom lower that uses sten mags with NO adaptor.
I wonder if he will make me one for the colt mags.  That would be sweet, no adaptor to fool with.

CHARLES
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
DrugRunR,

The ASA block does not have the bolt hold-open feature.  The RRA block does, but I have heard there are problems with it not staying in place.  There is also the Hahn Precision block which has the bolt hold open, but it is a bit pricey at $200.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
With less then a year to go with the ban, the Sten block might be a victim of "time".  If the ban sets, new manufacture of "colt" mags will resume, making the block useless.
View Quote

I have a use for the Sten blocks without the AW ban.  You can squeeze a Grease Gun mag like Dalphon did and they would fit right into a Sten block.  That's my plan for a .45 M16.  Just waiting now.  I've got to get a .45 Colt patern upper next.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaliburz] [#7]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=172633[/url]

Just "archiving" a thread of a 0% lower that was made to use notched Stens (dedicated lower) that bascially is like the Sten block.  Colt type upper used.

Edit - Jan 11, 2004

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=177868&w=myTopicPop[/url]

"Archiving" a thread... the Uzi 9mm bolt hold open thread.

Edit- April 9, 2004
More archving of posts
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=186137&w=myTopicPop]Covus' Oly 45 2 Piece[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Once I get my Sten mag adapter, I'm going to see if I can find someone to build a barrel in .45 GAP. As soon as I get some .45 GAP ammo I'm going to see how it fits in a Sten mag. :)
Link Posted: 2/14/2004 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
If these mag blocks ever get finished I would like to buy one.  Please email me at [email protected] when you get you computer back and the blocks ready for sale.

Thanks,

Ghilly
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 10:17:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXAGGIECCL] [#10]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 4:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaliburz] [#11]
Weird..... says 12 pages, but "text" is at page 9....

OH...something interesting.... SNSIndustries mentioned this in another thread.

Thread where quotes came from

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:

Originally Posted By SNSIndustries:
And I'll try to be less defensive.

I don't see any dedicated platforms out there for 9mm except for Colt's, do you know of some one else who is making dedicated 9mm lowers? Or are you refering to all the different "adapters" and such for converting a .223 magwell to 9mm ?? There is a boat load of those.... thats for sure, I even made some for sten mags in the colt system... and Im going to make another one to add to the bunch here pretty soon as well

SNS

In red- Oh!?  Err.....  how is it set up?  I'm really curiouse.....  Is it similar to the ones a few of us hacked together????

Edit-
Hey, when you get your project lower done, maybe I can drop by your shop, if you are open to the public.  You're in WA, and so am I!!!!!

And SNSIndustries reply:

Originally Posted By SNSIndustries:
Two piece design, locked in via set screws/cams.  So.. probabaly not all that different than what others have done here.

Im not a regular retail gun shop(im a mfg) so I don't have a showroom per se, however, I do retail sales by appointment only.  

SNS

Well folks, maybe SNS Industries is your best bet.... I 'IM-ed' for a little more details and a price.  Time will tell....

Never mind..... no longer being made.

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
See my post above.... was edited.... sorry to give false hope.
Link Posted: 3/20/2005 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The "original" Colt style magwell adapter blocks for STEN mags I started making a few years ago during the AWB....  will work with the Oly Arms uppers interchangably... just remove or add the ejector for each style, respectively.  The "new" ones will not have the ejector slot milled, and thus will only be for Oly Arms style pistol caliber uppers.  

~D~

SNS
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 10:56:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-fan] [#14]
Just in case you felt bad about going to all the trouble to do a Sten magwell conversion and now find that, since the AWB is dead, you can buy new Hi-cap 9mm mags, there is an alternative to the sten mags so hold on to the sten magwell setup. The Suomi 36 round stick mag can be modified with ease and the "Like New" price on them runs around $10. They are DOUBLE STACK, DOUBLE FEED just like the uzi mags but a lot cheaper -- for now! If the word gets around the price will go up just like with the sten mags.

There are small tabs on the front and rear of the suomi that need to be ground down to match the front-to-back size of the stens -- like 1.5". The width of the mags must be adjusted slightly since they are a bit too wide -- just grind a little off each side till they fit -- a little squeeze in a vise will help! Cut the notch in the side just like you did with the sten and you're done!

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:16:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-fan] [#15]
If you decide to try the suomi mags then you will have a few spare stens laying around. Try finding a suomi 72 round drum mag and put the two together for even more fun!

This was a quick prototype and it works! The drums run around $20 right now so there is still a lot of things that can be done with that old sten magwell conversion.
Link Posted: 4/23/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Hello AR-Fan
Colt has gone back using the pin technique (as they did originally - though I'm not sure the pins are at the same location) because they were not satisfied with the internal set screw system (fell out sometimes in full auto).
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Pirate_Sniper:
the SNS magwell blocks were originally designed for single feed STEN mags.  The feedramp mods pictured above are for double feed mags... ie: sterling

SNS has produced a very limited number of 2nd. gen. magwell blocks for the Colt style to use STEN mags.  I would say check out thier website and or contact them directly for the most up to date info.

This is from said companies site:

We have a limited number of 2nd generation MWB in the white w/ejector slot but w/o ejectors for Colt/RRA style 9mm uppers to use STEN mags. Add a ejector-use in Colt/RRA... remove the ejector-use in Oly, ....we are the ONLY commercial MFG offering a magwell block that works in both styles !!!!

Well folks, for you who have a subscription to this thread, there is the latest update....

(If the mods feel that this post may consitute an advertisement, I appologize.  IT is only ment as an update for those who followed this project.....)

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, those mag blocks are still on the company web page....so must be available....
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Very Interesting
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried going through this thread but a lot of the formatting has gone to hell making it hard to sift through

is there an easy, no (or very basic) modifying needed, set up for using Sten mags in a colt style 9mm upper currently available?

NY still has a ban, so new mags are out, and I have a bunch of sten mags I bought years ago in preparation for getting an oly style upper. but from what I can tell colt style uppers are easier and cheaper to find and offer more options, but since I already have sten mags and NY still has a ban I need to be able to use my sten mags
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By sharky30:

Bottom of page here ---> "HERE"
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
HOW COME THE PICs ONLY SHOW AS A RED X IN A BLOCK>>>??????????????
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I got one last year from the guy that took over them from SNS I believe
Took me MONTHS of hounding him to get it
I'll post pic in a weeks time when I;m home
Its nicely made
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top