Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2013 5:51:25 PM EDT
I'm sure I'm going to get hammered by the dupe police, because I can't be the only one this has occurred to.

Anybody know if there is any consideration of a SR 7.62?  It seems that ruger washed it's hands of the 6.8, I'm guessing this probably dosen't bode well for another caliber?

If you know something I don't (which isn't too hard), chime in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Ruger necessarily washed its hands of the 6.8 but rather the very vocal SPCII chamber crowd washed its hands of Ruger.  Nearly everything I ever saw written about the Ruger on all the Internet boards was negative.  It didn't matter if the gun was accurate or reliable.  Not having some variant of the SPCII chamber was condemned by many.  Too bad, as the 6.8 is an interesting and fun little cartridge regardless.  

Anyway, the 308 Winchester is a very established and accepted round without all the chamber drama that hurt the Ruger 6.8.  I think if and when Ruger launches an SR-762, it will be a welcome and worthwhile investment for them and us, especially if Ruger can bring the gun to market for substantially less then the other 308 piston guns on the market.  

With that said, the political climate probably has anything new kind of in limbo.  I can't imagine too many firearms companies are willing to dump R&D money into a new design that might still yet get banned when they can hardly keep up with demand now.  

Quoted:
I'm sure I'm going to get hammered by the dupe police, because I can't be the only one this has occurred to.

Anybody know if there is any consideration of a SR 7.62?  It seems that ruger washed it's hands of the 6.8, I'm guessing this probably dosen't bode well for another caliber?

If you know something I don't (which isn't too hard), chime in.

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the link to email Ruger's CEO and tell him you'd like to see one in 7.62 x51.
I sent one on the same thing a year or so ago. Maybe if he hears it enough?

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Mel, good point on R&D I hadn't considered it.

I didn't follow the 6.8 issue, just noticed they disappeared.  Cliff notes version, what was jist of them failing to use an SPCII chamber?  Why a dealbreaker for the 6.8 crowd?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is the link to email Ruger's CEO and tell him you'd like to see one in 7.62 x51.
I sent one on the same thing a year or so ago. Maybe if he hears it enough?

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html

Did it.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mel, good point on R&D I hadn't considered it.

I didn't follow the 6.8 issue, just noticed they disappeared.  Cliff notes version, what was jist of them failing to use an SPCII chamber?  Why a dealbreaker for the 6.8 crowd?

Wow!  Cliff notes on this issue is a book in and of itself.

6.8 shooters, as a rule, prefer the longer leade in the SPCII chamber, believing that this allows for substantially higher velocities at dramatically reduced chamber pressures.  The Ruger was built using the SAAMI chamber.  This was done because the other chambers that exist are basically wildcats with no recognized industry standard.

If and when one of the SPCII chambers gets recognized by SAAMI, Ruger might take another stab at things.  Too bad, really.  Debates over minor chamber specs aside, the 6.8 is a decent little round that would be great in a squad car or game warden's arsenal, etc.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a good thread that helps illustrate some of the passion regarding the SAAMI v SPCII chamber.  Warning!  You'll likely want to gouge your eyes out after reading!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106254
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Yikes.   I got about a page and a half into that thread can called uncle.  It doesn't seem like that much of a performance issue based on what I gather. Seems that sammi would make sense because it's standardized, even if you're giving up some performance versus the SPCII, which isn't standardized (which is what I took from it)

ETA:  I could see how Ruger, as an established manufacturer with a "long view" of the business would want an industry standard for potential liability purposes, if nothing esle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's a good thread that helps illustrate some of the passion regarding the SAAMI v SPCII chamber.  Warning!  You'll likely want to gouge your eyes out after reading!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106254

MJ, you where not kidding.

I'm happy with the spec 2 chamber Stag barrel I have.

I forgot to add that the chances of Ruger making a 762 GP rifle is possible in the future.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top