Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2011 2:17:46 PM EDT
Can you guys tell me anything about these early Bushmaster rifles?  There is one for sale local to me.  I think it's pretty cool.  Heavy finish wear.  They were askin' about $600 for it.

Looks like the on on the bottom of this pic...........

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
that's a fair price if not a little on the cheaper end.  here's a writeup i did on my 2 rifles and armspistol

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
that's a fair price if not a little on the cheaper end.  here's a writeup i did on my 2 rifles and armspistol

Thanks for the link.  Now I want to go buy the damn thing..............................

Do they take regular AR mags?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.  Now I want to go buy the damn thing..............................

Do they take regular AR mags?

yep.  i don't shoot them much but i've heard others say it can be finicky.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Man .... those pics take me back.
IIRC, they were closer to the AR180's than AR15's back then, and fugly as hell.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Man .... those pics take me back.
IIRC, they were closer to the AR180's than AR15's back then, and fugly as hell.

Not close to either. Its a rifle version of the IMP survival pistol. Compare it to a Daewoo K2. No parts interchange, but the K2 is a copy, IMHO.

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
So, essentially, it's an American Galil?  A folding stock AK that takes AR mags.  What's not to like?  In all seriousness, I almost bought one back in the late 80's/early 90/s.  IIRC, asking price was 400.00.  I passed and still kick myself.  It shot GREAT, seemed reliable as all get out, and ballanced nicely.  I just HAD TO HAVE an XM177 clone though and ended up with an Oly (hey, it was pre internet!).  Still have the Oly XM but then again, those are a dime a dozen.  The only minus against the Bushy is that parts would be mighty hard to come by these days.  

In the best ARFCOM tradition, I say GO BUY IT.

ka
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, essentially, it's an American Galil?  A folding stock AK that takes AR mags.  What's not to like?  In all seriousness, I almost bought one back in the late 80's/early 90/s.  IIRC, asking price was 400.00.  I passed and still kick myself.  It shot GREAT, seemed reliable as all get out, and ballanced nicely.  I just HAD TO HAVE an XM177 clone though and ended up with an Oly (hey, it was pre internet!).  Still have the Oly XM but then again, those are a dime a dozen.  The only minus against the Bushy is that parts would be mighty hard to come by these days.  

In the best ARFCOM tradition, I say GO BUY IT.

ka

the one I bought brand new was a total POS...Bushmaster spent more time fixing it, than I did shooting it....finally got a refund and bought a folding stock mini 14
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
The one pictured, ran 100%.

It had a pretty good kick for a .223.. Most I have felt. Almost hurt.

The rear site had some broken weld, which prevented me from being able to zero it.

The parts that look like they would break- trigger parts, bolt parts, etc. seemed to be AR parts.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I love the way they look, always wanted one so badly but they are banned specifically by name here in NJ so I'll never get the chance unless I move.  very cool gun indeed.  They also made them with fixed wooden stocks, the furniture was interchangeable i think

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmmm, never seen one of those before. Cool.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hmmmm, never seen one of those before. Cool.

the bushmaster logo used to have the armspistol in the snake:

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, essentially, it's an American Galil?

ka

No. It uses an AK style long stroke gas piston and bolt carrier, but uses an M16 bolt and M16 fire control group. The closest thing to it is the Daewoo K2, as I said above. The Daewoo also uses the AK type piston, M16 bolt and FGC, but the bolt carrier is based on a shortened M16 style, modified to work with the piston.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, essentially, it's an American Galil?

ka

No. It uses an AK style long stroke gas piston and bolt carrier, but uses an M16 bolt and M16 fire control group. The closest thing to it is the Daewoo K2, as I said above. The Daewoo also uses the AK type piston, M16 bolt and FGC, but the bolt carrier is based on a shortened M16 style, modified to work with the piston.

and the woo has a fixed ejector.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top