Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2011 6:37:42 PM EDT
Is there a reproduction Chrome slick side carrier for the 601 or am I SOL?
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure Young Manufacturing sells a non serrated slick chrome carrier.  Listed as SP-1/ M-16.  Kinda remember you have to ask them when ordering for one without their logo or you will get their logo on it.  It's a real nice product also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Young Manufacturing sells a non serrated slick chrome carrier.  Listed as SP-1/ M-16.  Kinda remember you have to ask them when ordering for one without their logo or you will get their logo on it.  It's a real nice product also.

Cdenmark I can't thank you enough, you just saved my retinas from being burned on mounds of web pages.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5336

I think this is DPMS's slickside carrier...ask to be sure if you're ordering one though
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've wondered about the logo. The pics don't show it but, pics are misleading these days. It'd be nice to know if there was a sure fire way of getting an unmarked carrier.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they only put the logo on the National Match carriers

http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/product-info.php?pid73.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just sent a sp1 back that had the logo...you have to call them and ask for one without the logo

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sent a sp1 back that had the logo...you have to call them and ask for one without the logo

that sux...wonder when they started messing up the normal carriers with their advertising??
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
They all get a logo unless specified without to the best of my recollection.  You see them both ways though.  As stated a very nice product and the national match lightweights are not retro but as good as any made.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
[that sux...wonder when they started messing up the normal carriers with their advertising??[/quote]

They need to make a drop down box where you can select logo or no logo
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The Young carrier will likely have a squared carrier key instead of a full round too. The firing pin retaining hole on the right probably wont be right either.

Might want to keep an eye on this seller, he has originals for a good price from time to time.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=831668
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Young carrier will likely have a squared carrier key instead of a full round too. The firing pin retaining hole on the right probably wont be right either.

Might want to keep an eye on this seller, he has originals for a good price from time to time.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=831668

Well they didn't last long
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]
yup watch the ee there have been quite a few on in the last 2 months, there is a guy with 8 carriers on there 7 are for slickside
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[that sux...wonder when they started messing up the normal carriers with their advertising??

They need to make a drop down box where you can select logo or no logo

I haven't purchased any YM carriers in a year or two, but my regular slickside carriers never came with a logo...maybe I've just been lucky

if they are logo'ing all of the different types of carriers now, a drop down box for the option of getting one with or without logo is an excellent idea
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I ordered my Young Mfg. chrome SP1/M16 BCG online, and then called and explained clearly to the nice lady that I wanted the "retro" style.
I'm very happy with it, tho' as HK mentioned, it does not have the full round key. That didn't bother me, but I did go ahead and get a chrome machined DPMS FPRP from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
none the less I will call them first, just to be sure I get what I want the first time .
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
having the later style gas key doesn't bother me either, as it can't be see when the carrier is installed, but the small later style firing pin retainer hole is visible and that does bother me a little
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think this is DPMS's slickside carrier...ask to be sure if you're ordering one though

So this is slicksided?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this is slicksided?

I doubt it.  AFAIK DPMS only offers serrated carriers...I've seen their chrome plated carriers before and they were serrated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this is slicksided?

I doubt it.  AFAIK DPMS only offers serrated carriers...I've seen their chrome plated carriers before and they were serrated.

here's a pic of my slickside 601 and DPMS carriers...you can see the difference in the early and later firing pin hole in these as well as the "D" on the DPMS carrier

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy smokes that DPMS looks good. As an FYI I love the Young Manf. ones (I only have one of their NM one right now but would like to have one of their slicksiders and one of their LtWt ones for a build that I am working one). Thanks CrackedCornish
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'll be dipped!  I didn't know they made slickside chrome carriers!   Do you need to call in and specifically ask for one?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I'll be dipped!  I didn't know they made slickside chrome carriers!   Do you need to call in and specifically ask for one?

that one is a few years old and it's possible that they don't offer them anymore that's why I said the part that I had linked to earlier may be a slickside and to call DPMS and confirm before ordering
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that one is a few years old and it's possible that they don't offer them anymore that's why I said the part that I had linked to earlier may be a slickside and to call DPMS and confirm before ordering

Just got off the phone with them, they seemed to know what I was talking about but didn't think they had any.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
The machining on the DPMS carrier is too smooth - the original 601s I have/had look like a beaver gnawed it to shape before the chrome.  I like it, though...

The folks at Young are really nice & helpful - they even agreed to put a chrome key on a parked slickside carrier:  "Sure....I don't know why you want to, but we can do that."    I ended up finding originals but if I need more I'm going there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Fulton Armory did have rebranded DPMS chrome slickside carriers at one time, but I don't see them listed anymore.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Fellers...I've got them but didn't realize anyone needed them. IM me with needs! I'll take pics and post what I have left of my retro stuff so those who need it can get it.

I think I'm done with all of mine now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I found them listed on Fulton's website. The stock number is FA-AU-038.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow, Fulton has changed the website since last Friday. Looks a whole lot easier to navigate.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, Fulton has changed the website since last Friday. Looks a whole lot easier to navigate.

I am not sure how it could be harder... Oh , I probably should not have said that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Stuka_Pirate

You got mail!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I replied to all so far?

Anyone using these or need one?

Link Posted: 1/11/2011 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fellers...I've got them but didn't realize anyone needed them. IM me with needs! I'll take pics and post what I have left of my retro stuff so those who need it can get it.

I think I'm done with all of mine now.

Quoted:
I think I replied to all so far?

Anyone using these or need one?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/bsmith483/HPIM2628.jpg

I hope your not using the retro forum to advertise your parts for sale, as that would be a CoC violation
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top