Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:50:59 PM EDT
What does everybody think about birchwood casey making touch up for our retro weapons,It would be nice to make some touch up like the black they have but in retro gray. I wonder what would have to be done to have them start making it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I know first hand that Brownell's Aluma Hyde II Parkerizing Grey is an excellent match for XM grey. There's pictures in a thread I started, and other members have stated that Aluma Hyde II Dark Parkerizing Grey is a good match for the darker grey anodizing found in the M16A1 parts kits.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]

like everything else in business, you make stuff that there is a huge market for. in the case of them making a "retro grey" touch up paint, it simply doesn't make financial sense to make it when there is only a very small tiny market for it,  by far tiny compared to the sales of  black AR that are out there.  

If I was running a business I wouldn't spend the money to make it, then end up sitting on literally thousands of gallons that aren't going to be moving.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

like everything else in business, you make stuff that there is a huge market for. in the case of them making a "retro grey" touch up paint, it simply doesn't make financial sense to make it when there is only a very small tiny market for it,  by far tiny compared to the sales of  black AR that are out there.  

If I was running a business I wouldn't spend the money to make it, then end up sitting on literally thousands of gallons that aren't going to be moving.

Read the post above you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone used Brownell's baking laquer(dark parkerizing gray)? Thinking about trying some out on some slip rings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Read the post above you.

I did, that is parkerizing solution, you specifically  asked about touch up product, and that is what I responded to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the post above you.

I did, that is parkerizing solution, you specifically  asked about touch up product, and that is what I responded to.

It's not a parkerizing solution. It is instead a refinishing/touch up solution. "Parkerizing Grey" is just the name of the color.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Has anyone used Brownell's baking laquer(dark parkerizing gray)? Thinking about trying some out on some slip rings.

I've used their Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Gun Finish Dark Parkerizing Grey on a couple of 1911s and ARs.  I think it's good to go.  I've also used it to refinish pins and lower receiver parts to match NDS's finish.  Close enough for rock and roll.

This upper and lower are entirely finished in Brownell's Dark Parkerizing Grey:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This 1911 I rebuilt has the same finish:

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well that fad did not last long. People that are wanting to touch up their Retro rifles now, instead of prematurely wearing them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I used norrell's grey-black for my xm and it matches PERFECTLY, however, before i refinished i played with some aluminum black on the upper's scratches...it matched really well but didn't seem durable
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top