Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2008 1:41:53 PM EDT
My photo skills suck...so my apologies for the lousy pic...  

Anyway...After buying one of Mike & Harlan's masterpieces, I had to find something to do it justice...this is my interpretation of what ArmaLite *should* have offered...  

NDS-32B upper; KAD lower; A1 buttstock w/1" extension; 20" 5.56mm HBAR shortened to 17 1/2" + 2" 3-slot flash hider; home made "1-rib" slip ring; homemade ventilated & fluted Delrin & steel AR10 style handguard + caps; *actual* Portuguese AR10 front sight/base; brown flecked A1 pistol grip. LPK, bolt & carrier, buffer assembly all A2, I believe...they were all I had...  

A big "Thank You!" to VAAR for supplying some of the parts!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Far out!  How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I'm kind of disappointed...after all the sandblasting, degreasing, GunKoteing, and Parkerizing, it's all...black...  

I liked the shiny aluminum parts...  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful !.........................needs a waffle.

Hal
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]

That's beautiful... I've got to have one. How hard was the front sight post to find?

GREAT JOB
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
very sweet
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice build!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Oops.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How hard was the front sight post to find?

It was one of those things you see and think "I should get that...I can build something around it some day"...  

It wasn't exactly what I wanted...but it makes a good template for the one I'll build next...

But I still like the bare aluminum...It just looks *right*...  

Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Ye old XM177 experimental slip ring......it does look good for that build.

Hal
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Dood that is kule!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Postino, where did you get the stock extension? I have a large friend that could use one of those.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
By golly I like it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Postino, where did you get the stock extension? I have a large friend that could use one of those.

Fulton Armory, part # FA-AR-200-185

It only extends the stock 1", not 2"...  

I don't have the QD sling swivels; I haven't decided what to do about the holes yet...

I also need a .250" front takedown pin w/ball detent lock. I don't need anything from NDS at this time, does anyone know another source for these that also sells AR-15 parts???
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I also need a .250" front takedown pin w/ball detent lock. I don't need anything from NDS at this time, does anyone know another source for these that also sells AR-15 parts???

IM Heatnbeat about the pivot pin. Depending on what other parts you need, he may have something else too. I'm out of town, or I'd send you his e-mail address if you need it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IM Heatnbeat about the pivot pin.

I have an email from him;  he stated ".312 dia 601 style for SP1s"...As it happens, I have a couple of the .312" front ball & spring detent pins; not sure where they came from, but no use for this project...

I'll get one eventually from NDS, but at the moment it I don't need anything else from them...  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
if you can use one like the .312 style,
only in .250, Fulton has 'em.

Front Pivot Pin, w/Detent, f/Colt (Replaces 2 headed Screw), Small Hole
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if you can use one like the .312 only in .250, Fulton has 'em.

Front Pivot Pin, w/Detent, f/Colt (Replaces 2 headed Screw), Small Hole

OK, here's the question I have with that...Why does the pin w/detent lock on the outside of the receiver??? My receiver has the rebated hole...

I guess what I want is the flat/round headed pin that locks in the rebated receiver hole, not on the outside...

I'll probably have to make up something...  
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]
How about a 601 type from heatnbeat? Use as is on a slabside, or grind one edge flat if you're using an A1 or XM lower.

ETA: That FSB is the shiznit!
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How about a 601 type from heatnbeat? Use as is on a slabside, or grind one edge flat if you're using an A1 or XM lower.

ETA: That FSB is the shiznit!

+1

I got the pin for my DPMS lower 601 replica from heatnbeat.

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#23]
That's some beautiful work there my friend! Great job. Personally though, I think a carbine version with a 607 stock and CAR or midlenght HGs built like those would be the shit. (just dreaming)
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
...I think a carbine version with a 607 stock and CAR or midlenght HGs built like those would be the shit...

Two-piece steel & plastic [like the one above but shorter] carbine or mid length handguard, or all plastic???

I'd have to get another NDS-32 upper...  

But the barrel for the next one is on the way; the FSB is made; just need to look at handguard pics to decide on what they should look like...  

(And make up another slip ring)
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My photo skills suck...so my apologies for the lousy pic...  

Well, I think that your other skills more than compensate.

Outstanding piece of workmanship! Bravo!

I'll give it five out of five dancing bananas.

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Postino that`s great work!

Think you can make a forearm like that for an ArmaLite AR-10?
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

A handguard like this one, you mean???

I suppose I could...but no one could afford it...  

Just too many time consuming operations involved...and not enough time for my own projects...

Just cutting the slots in the metal vent took a complete evening...

And hollowing out, tapering, cutting slots & fluting the Delrin rod took several evenings...

With the equipment I have, it would just take too long to be profitable...  

But there are others on this Forum who have *real* machine tools, and the skill (and time) to make stuff like this at a reasonable cost...  

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Your entire handguard assembly really is some nice work regardless of the equipment used.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Your entire handguard assembly really is some nice work regardless of the equipment used.

The effect of using inferior equipment is to lengthen the time required for an operation...I have to take shallow cuts at reduced feed rates...just not enough torque from the cheap Chinese motors...60% of rated HP vs 85% for Yankee motors...and the machine itself is "flimsy" compared to say a Bridgeport...There's a reason the Bridgeport is so massive...It's to reduce flex...Steel and to a lesser degree iron is flexible (that's why springs are made of it) and will deflect under pressure...The massive base of the Bridgeport resists the deflection forces...and dampens the vibrations...

I'm used to my old J2 Bridgeport...This little 3in1 job is very unforgiving...  

(And I'm not the world's most patient man...)  

There is no way I could perform any work on this machine and turn a profit on it...I count myself lucky if I can break even...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I understand completely. I sold my 3 in 1 machine because I found myself taking most of my projects to work so I could fabricate them on the industrial equipment there. I'm looking for the right deal on a Bridgeport for my garage though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm looking for the right deal on a Bridgeport for my garage though.

I bought mine for $1800...IIRC, that's what I sold it for, too...  

You'll need 3-phase power, or a converter. Mine came with a simple mechanical converter, consisting of a 1-phase motor turning a 3-phase motor with a V-belt. You started the 1-phase motor, and when the 3-phase was turning you fed 220v single phase power to it. Then you shut off the 1-phase motor. The 3-phase motor was wired to the Bridgeport motor. Don't ask me how...electricity isn't my specialty...but I never managed to stall it out...or overheat it...  

I also found I *needed* 200amp service...100 to the house, 100 to the garage...

Prior to that, my wife (at that time) was heating dinner in the microwave, and drying her hair, when I turned the Bridgeport on...poof...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...I think a carbine version with a 607 stock and CAR or midlenght HGs built like those would be the shit.

I'm workin' on it...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A handguard like this one, you mean???

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/FrogBait4/th_protoguard.jpg

I suppose I could...but no one could afford it...  

Just too many time consuming operations involved...and not enough time for my own projects...

Just cutting the slots in the metal vent took a complete evening...

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/FrogBait4/th_metgrd3.jpg

And hollowing out, tapering, cutting slots & fluting the Delrin rod took several evenings...

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/FrogBait4/th_plashdg2a.jpg

With the equipment I have, it would just take too long to be profitable...  

But there are others on this Forum who have *real* machine tools, and the skill (and time) to make stuff like this at a reasonable cost...  

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/FrogBait4/th_neverwas.jpg

I was thinking of using a handguard from Brownell`s and a carbine cap to utilize as many production parts as possible. It was just be  the front sight block and the ventilated  rails that would need to be fabricated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 2:36:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was thinking of using a handguard from Brownell`s...

Which one??? Got a link???  
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Postino

You my friend, are an artist! I've always thought that people with your talents were the true artists of America. To turn raw metal into that gorgeous weapon to me is truly amazing. Ouststanding job. I just wish you had access to a CNC mill, so you could turn out several (hundred?) "kits" I bet you could sell them to all of us AR "junkies". I guarantee that will turn heads when you pull it out at the range!

When you get her out to the range, get us some pictures, and a report of how she does. Again, Outstanding job.....Mongo impressed!

Semper Fi
Az Deuce
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I just wish you had access to a CNC mill, so you could turn out several (hundred?) "kits" I bet you could sell them to all of us AR "junkies"...

Mike & Harlan at NDS have a shop with CNC mills and lathes on call...  

I would have bet that they had some idea of producing a "proto-clone" of ArmaLite #000001...  

They're probably just waiting to see how many emails they get requesting a complete prototype upper...to match their lower...  
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was thinking of using a handguard from Brownell`s...

Which one??? Got a link???  

Brownell`s part # 100-002-896ED
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Another great project - congrats.  How about a close-up of the "flash hider"?  Are the slots at 3,9,12 o'clock?
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Are the slots at 3,9,12 o'clock?

Uh, no...12, 4, and 8 o'clock...every 120º...  

In the foreground is an original Portuguese AR10 barrel extension. FH is integral. (The Portuguese mount the bayonet lug on top, so it is rightside-up.)  At the present time, my FH is 12/4/8...but you can see that the Portuguese is 2/6/10...Still every 120º, but one slot exhausts directly down...  

I'll have to experiment and see which way I like it...  

The Portuguese barrel extension also has an internal thread at the outer end of the FH...I have no idea why...

The extension pins on to the barrel from the FSB forward...

There are pics on the Dutch AR10 Site...  
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Beautiful build, Mr. Postino! By the way, I think that the threads are for the Blank Firing Adaptor. There's one on Gunbroker now, #111377598. I don't know how to make it HOT, can anybody show it? Of course it's .308-size, right, just a curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Beautiful build, Mr. Postino! By the way, I think that the threads are for the Blank Firing Adaptor. There's one on Gunbroker now, #111377598. I don't know how to make it HOT, can anybody show it? Of course it's .308-size, right, just a curiosity.

Linky for AR10 BFA

Interesting...I've only seen a couple BFA's...  

But the question is: Would a Main Battle Rifle have a feature designed and machined specifically to fire blanks??? I'm doubtful of that...I'm sure that this BFA does fit the FH thread and functions perfectly satisfactorily, but I don't think that is what the thread in the  FH is primarily designed to do...

The barrel extension has a circlip (not on that extension in the pic) which I think is to hold a rifle grenade on so it won't just fall off...but I can't think of anything that would screw into the FH...
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Actually, I'm kind of disappointed...after all the sandblasting, degreasing, GunKoteing, and Parkerizing, it's all...black...  

I liked the shiny aluminum parts...  

i totally agree. i am just finishing up my 000001 clone. it doesnt look like i did anything to it now. everything is so nicely finished it almost looks like i bought it off the shelf. i miss the shinny metal parts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The Belgian FAL has threads in the FH specifically to take the Blank Firing Adapter.

Hmmmm...Belgium, Dutch, Sudanese, Portuguese...Were there ever any *Yankee* AR10's???  

These Portuguese parts are Metric; the thread in the extension/FH is *almost* 1/2" x 28tpi...I can screw an AR-15 barrel stub (with FH thread) in the Portuguese FH about .100"; the thread goes in for .590"...

Makes me wonder why the AR-15 wasn't threaded for an internal BFA...
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I was browsing through the Grainger catalog and saw an intriguing entry...

Rod, Acetal, Brown, 2 In Dia x 1 Ft L

Acetal is another name for Delrin...and it's brown!!!  

Bad news...1 ft is $85.55...   And I can only get one handguard out of a foot...  

I really want a brown handguard for this fantasy AR...but if I make one, I'd still need a brown buttstock and grip...  

Delrin is pretty much impossible to paint...the impregnated rod is the best bet...  

Edit: Got a quote from Boedeker Plastics for Brown Acetal = $21.34 per foot/$50 min. I'm thinking real hard on ordering three feet...

...After the motor repair shop replaces the burned out "run" capacitor on my lathe motor...  

Edit2: Added a couple pics to first page
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:...I think a carbine version with a 607 stock and CAR or midlenght HGs built like those would be the shit. (just dreaming)

I've started on that...  

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#48]
That's the shiznit!  Can't wait to see it finished!
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...Personally though, I think a carbine version with a 607 stock and CAR or midlenght HGs built like those would be the shit. (just dreaming)

Still workin' on it, dawg...Just waitin' for some small parts from Del-Ton...  

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow, that's impressive, Postino.  I guess Del-Ton didn't have the parts in stock, I didn't get me LPK yet, and I usually get stuff I've ordered from them in a few days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top