Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2011 8:46:18 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster Carbon-15 pistol and would like to install an foam cover on the buffer tube.
Is this do-able or is it a factory job? ie must be dipped in foaming chemicals?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i bought  1 with my ace buffer kit, but other people tell me to go to a bike shop for handlebar foam, baby powder it inside and use an air hose to expand it to slip on
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
J&T http://jtdistributing.net/store/index.html used to sell replacement foam pads for the skeleton stocks, to cover the tube.

I can't find a part listing for it there, but if you don't get a better option, give them a call, see what they say.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
A member on this forum suggested this rubber cover that looks like foam. I'd imagine it would hold up longer than foam. I was going to buy one, but realized I really don't need a cover for my buffer tube.
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=448
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
PK has them for $5

Soapy water helps to slide them on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Use an air compressor and the foam will slide right on.  No need for soap or any other substance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
RUBBER BUFFER COVER

This looks like the one for my 1.25" X 4" buffer tube for my Carbon 15 pistol.
When I install it do I just cut it to size or do I pack the end of the tube with ???? whatever.
I was thinking that second maybe an option. I can always cut it down if I do not like the weld or the "limp spot" at the end of the tube. Once I cut it I can not put it back together again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i bought  1 with my ace buffer kit, but other people tell me to go to a bike shop for handlebar foam, baby powder it inside and use an air hose to expand it to slip on

this

i just tried it and it works. it's a wrestling match but it works. and don't cut the foam grip to same length as buffer tube. leave it longer. when it stretches it will shorten. the bike grip i used was 2 inches longer than the rock river tube i have and ended up being the correct length when installed. 8 bucks and i got 4 foam tubes. now i got 3 spares.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

i just tried it and it works. it's a wrestling match but it works. and don't cut the foam grip to same length as buffer tube. leave it longer. when it stretches it will shorten. the bike grip i used was 2 inches longer than the rock river tube i have and ended up being the correct length when installed. 8 bucks and i got 4 foam tubes. now i got 3 spares.

Great what did the box look like or more to the point where did U get it. I looked in my local bike shop but found nothing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#10]

when i got home i thought" no way it's gonna fit." set the buffer tube end up on the table after getting the first tip in and just wrestled with it blowing air in the top end and i got it on. took about 10 min.
kinda looks like a corn dog.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
use hair gel to slide it on..........slick as grease and dries like glue!
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

use hair gel to slide it on..........slick as grease and dries like glue!

Or use glue. It's also slick and dries like glue... Wait a minute.

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
why are you guys thinking it needs glue of any type. the fit is so tight it will never come off unless ripped or cut. honest truth i couldn't get it off with out destroying it now. glue not needed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Are there any colors other than Black?  I will need a Foliage Green one for my next build to match the stock on my BCM...
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#16]
With the foam running the full length of the tube, things can get kinda tight under the charging handle.  In fact, depending upon which tube you have, those thick bike grips won't let the charging handle fully extend.

Besides, the Exile Machine rubber cover was only $8.24 shipped, arrived in 3 days, and is WAY more durable than those bike grips.  Unlike the open cell foam of the bike grips, the Exile cover will not absorb water or chemicals.  Plus, it protects the end of the buffer tube from dings.  I don't see any reason to go the bike grip route when a much better option is easily acquired for the same price.

Mine slid right on my Spike's tube with no effort, yet is not coming back off without surgery.  No personal grooming products needed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Oooooooooooh

JUST had a bright idea on what to use for a cheap & easy silencer cover

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With the foam running the full length of the tube, things can get kinda tight under the charging handle.  In fact, depending upon which tube you have, those thick bike grips won't let the charging handle fully extend.

Besides, the Exile Machine rubber cover was only $8.24 shipped, arrived in 3 days, and is WAY more durable than those bike grips.  Unlike the open cell foam of the bike grips, the Exile cover will not absorb water or chemicals.  Plus, it protects the end of the buffer tube from dings.  I don't see any reason to go the bike grip route when a much better option is easily acquired for the same price.

Mine slid right on my Spike's tube with no effort, yet is not coming back off without surgery.  No personal grooming products needed.

just checked with my pistol i'm building right now and it clears the foam. actually it grazzes the top of it but doesn't impeed the stroke.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oooooooooooh

JUST had a bright idea on what to use for a cheap & easy silencer cover

LOL you'll have a flaming marshmallow on the front of your boom stick.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I must be doing something wrong. By the time I had the cover from Exile halfway down the tube I ripped it. RRA pistol buffer tube.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I must be doing something wrong. By the time I had the cover from Exile halfway down the tube I ripped it. RRA pistol buffer tube.

the air compressor trick works the best. start by working the cover over the smooth end of the buffer tube. then take an air nozel and blow it into the top of the rubber. the air will expand the rubber or foam enough to let it float down the tube. it's a combined effort of blowing and pulling down on the foam tube at the same time. like your milking a cow. it's easier if you have 3 handsit's slow going but it worked for the bike grip over my rra tube and the bike grip was designed to fit a 3/4 inch bike bar. i got it over a 1.1/4 buffer tube. i haven't seen one but if the exile tube does not have a hole at the end this won't work. youd have to put a small hole in the tip of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's where I usually lose it and tear the thing to pieces.

Get another one and try again. It's totally worth it having one on there. It sets up against a wall or against the floor of your safe and doesn't slip. It's great to grip onto for carrying and it cheek welds fantastic in cold weather.

something I did to my first one (which was much tighter than my second one), was to run very hot water through it to get it to loosen up. I know there's probably water still in there but it's not getting to anything rustable.

I didn't want to use soap or anything that would leave a residue.

The air compressor trick would probably work great. If only we all had air compressors or workplaces that welcomed firearms or firearm parts. Don't put a hole in the rubber. There's already a hole in the buffer tube so you don't need one.

Bottom line. Try again. This time keep your wits about you and know that there is strength in being gentle and patient.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I pulled the trigger and ordered the hard foam cover from Exile.
I hope it gets here by Friday.
The Old Lady is at work that night so I will have some me time to do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Brownells sells replacement covers for the Ace stocks. I think they are about $3 apiece.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Well.. The Old Lady is at work and the cover is here.  
I Slipped right on.
I was about 1" longer than I need it to be, so I cut a piece of cloth to stuff into the cover.
Looks great and gave me an extra 1" to fit to my cheek.
WOOOOOOOO
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
PK has them for $5

Soapy water helps to slide them on.

This is what I did just yesterday.  Worked great
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I used bicycle foam handle bar grips on mines too, $9.00 for a pack of 4, hell I even have spares now if I ever need them!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody tried to stretch on on a regular CAR buffer tube?
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the air compressor trick works the best. start by working the cover over the smooth end of the buffer tube. then take an air nozel and blow it into the top of the rubber. the air will expand the rubber or foam enough to let it float down the tube. it's a combined effort of blowing and pulling down on the foam tube at the same time. like your milking a cow. it's easier if you have 3 handsit's slow going but it worked for the bike grip over my rra tube and the bike grip was designed to fit a 3/4 inch bike bar. i got it over a 1.1/4 buffer tube. i haven't seen one but if the exile tube does not have a hole at the end this won't work. youd have to put a small hole in the tip of it.

They sell different sizes. The RRA tube is a larger diameter and you will need to order the correct size. Do you think you ordered the wrong one? Let me know cause I have the RRA tube included in the PSA LPK and was going to order the exile cover.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's showing $7 shipping for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered two of the bigger covers. I'll see if it fits on the CAR tube.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Just to let everybody know, the buffer tube covers I got from Exile fit great on my carbine buffer tube.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Just an FYI I contacted exile machine about my shipping issues and they took care of me.

Got the PBT 6" cover on my RRA pistol buffer tube and it is awesome! Heartily recommend.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top