Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 3:50:30 PM EDT
Does anyone run an ACE Pistol Kit?  It appears that they have been removed from their site now.  Maybe because a buttsock can be added to them?  If you run one, have you done anything to yours to cover the rear nut that has the threads making it suspect to adding a buttpad?  Maybe they are in the process of re-designing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Or maybe this big ass notice on their home page may have something to do with it:

Just a guess but calling the number listed may get you the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks iNeXile556.  I do already have and run their pistol kit, and the Notice has been up for months.  I had talked to them about an end cap that would keep their ultralite buttstock from being attached to the pistol kit as it is the same tube with rear threads making it legal to own both.  Have not heard from them in a while, and assumed that the pistol kit may no longer be available until re-designed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine from JSE. I already had a spring and buffer. I have a 7" barrel. I am kicking around the idea of adding a flat or domed washer on the end of the buffer tube held by a flat bolt through said washer screwing it to the hole where the stock extension screw would go, but it will be just something just to do rather than something I would be doing to make it more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks iNeXile556.  I do already have and run their pistol kit, and the Notice has been up for months.  I had talked to them about an end cap that would keep their ultralite buttstock from being attached to the pistol kit as it is the same tube with rear threads making it legal to own both.  Have not heard from them in a while, and assumed that the pistol kit may no longer be available until re-desighned.

It is not being redesigned, it is perfectly legal as it is. You can use any tube you wish on your pistol. It is much easier to swap uppers than it is to add the buttstock to the pistol tube so why is it fine to own both a pistol and a rifle?  Stop spreading mis-information.

ETA: It took me less than 1 minute to find the pistol tube on their site. <comment edited; this is a tech forum, let's keep it civil-vermont2nd>

PISTOL TUBE LINK  Scroll to the bottom, it's right in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks hahrk-9 for replying intelligently, you understand my topic.

Oh by the way, the ACE installation instructions for installing the ACE Pistol Kit states, "Note: It may be unlawful to be in possession of an ACE AR-UL butt stock when an ARP recoil system is installed on your AR pistol."  That warning is because the buffer tube supplied with the ARP is the same end threaded tube that is supplied with the AR-UL.  It would be nice to have some sort of end cap that could be bolted on to reduce the possiblity of questions by LEOs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks hahrk-9 for replying intelligently, you understand my topic.

Oh by the way, the ACE installation instructions for installing the ACE Pistol Kit states, "Note: It may be unlawful to be in possession of an ACE AR-UL butt stock when an ARP recoil system is installed on your AR pistol."  That warning is because the buffer tube supplied with the ARP is the same end threaded tube that is supplied with the AR-UL.  It would be nice to have some sort of end cap that could be bolted on to reduce the possiblity of questions by LEOs.

As long as you don't own that stock, or if you do, have other rifles that the stock would fit, then there is no problem.  The only possible problem is if you own the stock that fits the pistol tube, but do not own a rifle that the stock would also fit. Then one could make an argument against you because the ONLY way it could be assembled is into an illegal SBR.  If you don't own the stock, no worries.
I run the ACE kit (actually, when I got my two kits it was before ACE made the kit and they put it together for me sans stock (yes it was in September 2004) and it has run perfectly on a 7.5 and 10.5 inch 5.56, an 11.5 inch  6.8, and a 12.5 inch .458.
Now, for kicks and giggles and as a sling attachment point, I drilled and tapped the buffer tube hole to accommodate the YHM rotating sling swivel stud.  I think is 5/16 x 24 but don't hold me to that. It makes for a very convenient single point sling attachment point plus, I suppose you could argue, since the hole is drilled out then the stock that does fit the tube would no longer attach properly with the standard stock screw.
YHM-9469

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Good points Big-Bore.  I currently do not own an ARUL, but I contacted ACE about buying the ARUL butt piece seperately when I was considering SBRing my 9mm pistol, after finding out that the ARP uses the same tube with the threaded hole for attaching the butt piece or skeleton entry stock.  Just buying the butt piece and turning the ARP into a full Ultra Lite buttstock for the SBR would have been a simple way to go.  I have since decided not to SBR.  When I first built my pistol I installed a milspec M4 tube, but since I had other ARs with the M4 buttstock, I decided to go strictly Pistol type tube to not raise any eyebrows.................then the ACE ARP arrived and I thought..............hmmmm, I still have a tube that a butt piece can be installed on.  I may just buy an aluminum A2 stock spacer and use the stock screw that ACE included in the ARP kit to bolt it on.  It will not be permanent, but it may give me piece of mind.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
My apologies HU100, and to you also vermont2nd. My comment was not meant to be uncivil, just a pun on the old assumption joke.

I sometimes appear a bit harsher then I intend. I am getting older so maybe it's that grumpy old curmudgeon mindset beginning to creep up on me.
Now get off my lawn!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
No offense taken iNeXile556.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top