Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2012 3:55:36 AM EDT
Curiosity got to me last night, but all I can find is info on suppressed.  Compared to 556 and 9mm ar15s, how loud is an unsupprssed 300 subsonic?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not know decibel level but I shoot unsuppressed sometimes and I have tried it without hearing protection.  It is not overly loud but it does ring my ears a little.  I do not know if that helps any.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
This video might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_2tcj7P4s
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a little quieter than shooting a mild .45 pistol. No supersonic crack, but still pretty damned loud.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I had checked the youtube videos before, it's hard to really tell much since everything sounds loud comparatively.

I was looking at it for the home defense round option, I have a 9mm ar already(that's essentially a chuff of air when it shoots).  I just don't want my ears to bleed out after shooting, hence why I'm not putting a 556 inside.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had checked the youtube videos before, it's hard to really tell much since everything sounds loud comparatively.

I was looking at it for the home defense round option, I have a 9mm ar already(that's essentially a chuff of air when it shoots).  I just don't want my ears to bleed out after shooting, hence why I'm not putting a 556 inside.

I would not even buy .300 blackout unless its was 10 inches with a suppressor. Either way shooting a gun is going to damage your ears but the 5.56 is def one of the loudest rounds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not even buy .300 blackout unless its was 10 inches with a suppressor. Either way shooting a gun is going to damage your ears but the 5.56 is def one of the loudest rounds.

That's your opinion...those of us that actually own the caliber appreciate what it has to offer, suppressor or not. He asked a direct question. Try not to inject your stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's your opinion...those of us that actually own the caliber appreciate what it has to offer, suppressor or not. He asked a direct question. Try not to inject your stupidity.

Lol!
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
its still fucking loud.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa there calm down now. Lets be civil or this might get locked.

300 blk shines brightest when its suppressed right?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Incorrect, it's a supersonic round that just happens to suppress very nice.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
For home defense you are better off with a 9mm pistol or carbine loaded with 147grn hollowpoints. It's still going to be loud and make your ears ring though as will any gun unsuppressed. The 9mm carbine will be slightly quieter than the 9mm pistol due to the longer barrel length, however the pistol will be much handier and more practical.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does shine suppressed.

It is also great supersonic for hunting. Fact of the matter, it is AK ballistics in the reliable AR platform.

It cracks me up, that the 320 pound, crisco leaking computer chair army speaks of subjects that they "read" on the internet. There are people out there that own the weapons they are talking about, shoot said weapons on a weekly basis, reload, and hunt with them.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does shine suppressed.

It is also great supersonic for hunting. Fact of the matter, it is AK ballistics in the reliable AR platform.

It cracks me up, that the 320 pound, crisco leaking computer chair army speaks of subjects that they "read" on the internet. There are people out there that own the weapons they are talking about, shoot said weapons on a weekly basis, reload, and hunt with them.

Relax man. Stop trash talking.

op if you get a .300 blackout i suggest you suppress it for home defense.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For home defense you are better off with a 9mm pistol or carbine loaded with 147grn hollowpoints. It's still going to be loud and make your ears ring though as will any gun unsuppressed. The 9mm carbine will be slightly quieter than the 9mm pistol due to the longer barrel length, however the pistol will be much handier and more practical.

I disagree. I'd rather have 30 rds of .30 cal rifle ammo (whether subsonic or not) than 30 rds of 9mm ammo in my HD/SD firearm. Hell, I'd rather have 30 rds of .223 than 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, just in the interest of conversation, I would think (just my opinion) that I would rather use expanding supersonic rounds WITH the suppressor for HD, and have definite bullet performance.  Would the subs not just tend to punch through?  I have never shot a suppressed rifle with supersonic rounds inside a building, without hearing protection, so this is just off the top of my head.  Will try it at the range (indoor) next time just to see how bad it is.

Any thoughts?
Doc
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK, just in the interest of conversation, I would think (just my opinion) that I would rather use expanding supersonic rounds WITH the suppressor for HD, and have definite bullet performance.  Would the subs not just tend to punch through?  I have never shot a suppressed rifle with supersonic rounds inside a building, without hearing protection, so this is just off the top of my head.  Will try it at the range (indoor) next time just to see how bad it is.

Any thoughts?
Doc

Supersonic suppressed in doors is still loud as hell w/out hearpro... Better than not suppressed tho.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
5.56 is not loud,  the muzzle devices on the gun make it that way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not a bad idea to consider your hearing when shooting indoors, but jeez, you're talking about giving up a whole lot of effectiveness so that you can protect your hearing while your life hangs in the balance.  Full power, expanding 300 BLK/5.56/etc. is the only sensible way to go for HD, and you can either suppress it and make it hearing safe, or you can put on a Noveske Pig without the expense and the ATF paperwork, which will still help a lot.

Good guys shoot bad guys with unsupressed rifles indoors every day, and you never hear them saying, "Boy, I wish I shot that guy with a 9mm fart gun instead of my 5.56 SBR to save my hearing."
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a little quieter than shooting a mild .45 pistol. No supersonic crack, but still pretty damned loud.

this ^

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
With my HVT, it will get you hard

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With my HVT, it will get you hard

Never shot my 8" BLK indoors. Outdoors and unsuppressed, the subs sound like pistol rounds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Curiosity got to me last night, but all I can find is info on suppressed.  Compared to 556 and 9mm ar15s, how loud is an unsupprssed 300 subsonic?

well with out a meter i can say that out of my 16" bolt gun (no action noise) a aac 7.62sd and 247 gr sub loads@ <1000fps  ... it's sounds to my ear like a pellet gun.

this is from liberty about their leonidas intergrated upper  - AVERAGE dB METER VALUES AT 1440 FT OF ELEVATION: 121dB Action noise only was metered at 118.7THIS INFORMATION IS COLLECTED WITH SUMMIT 220gr SUBSONIC AMMUNITION USING A B&K 2209 IMPULSE
SOUND METER

the can that you use is going to effect the "loudness" of the shot as well as the action noise.

just for craps and giggles ...

from left to right
220 smk factory rem sub / 220 nosler partition / 208 amax / 247 cast / .223 factory fmj

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
anyone selling those 247g lead projectiles?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
anyone selling those 247g lead projectiles?

There will be another run of the molds made shortly, group buy on the cast boolites site is going on now. I have an order in for a 4 cavity this time around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Tumble lube on the red cast bullets?

Quoted:

Quoted:

well with out a meter i can say that out of my 16" bolt gun (no action noise) a aac 7.62sd and 247 gr sub loads@ <1000fps  ... it's sounds to my ear like a pellet gun.

this is from liberty about their leonidas intergrated upper  - AVERAGE dB METER VALUES AT 1440 FT OF ELEVATION: 121dB Action noise only was metered at 118.7THIS INFORMATION IS COLLECTED WITH SUMMIT 220gr SUBSONIC AMMUNITION USING A B&K 2209 IMPULSE

SOUND METER

the can that you use is going to effect the "loudness" of the shot as well as the action noise.

just for craps and giggles ...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/sinsir944/blk%20projectiles/IMG00747-20111119-2002.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/sinsir944/blk%20projectiles/IMG00748-20111119-2003.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/sinsir944/ammo.jpg

from left to right

220 smk factory rem sub / 220 nosler partition / 208 amax / 247 cast / .223 factory fmj

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tumble lube on the red cast bullets?

no, thompson red angel lube, the projectiles cast at .311, then are resized to .309 with a magma star, and hard lubed.

seems to work just fine in the bolt rifle. i don't have an ar in 300 blk so i cant speak about that.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top