Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 11:03:51 AM EDT
This is the first time I have made it to the range with my new barrel converted by DBMG.  Also my first time using the Bushnell 6-24 FFP scope in Larue 50 mount with 30 moa.  I had been planning buy a new AR10 BCG as a potentially better fit for the Noveske chamber but after gage checking decided to give it a first try with a DPMS BCG.  I shot 40 rounds of factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 120 AMAX with 100 yard results below.  Probably the best shooting I have achieved and like to think that there is room for improvement given a number of factors.  This is literally the first 40 rounds through the barrel,  I didn't have the best rest/most stable position, I shot group after group without letting the barrel rest meaningfully, and this is factory ammo

I did have some reliability issues as spent cases got caught several times... the next round had been stripped and was on its way in but the brass was getting caught before fully ejecting.  Perhaps this has something to do with the DPMS BCG and will plan to run an Armalite bolt or complete BCG in future.  I haven't checked but perhaps the DPMS BCG is lighter or perhaps a break in issue... thoughts welcome.  I have never had this issue with this gun before with the factory 308 barrel.  Was using the H3 buffer the gun game with.

ETA:  All in all im happy with first results but will definitely begin reloading (now that I have some brass) as well as try to solve the issue I had.  I also shot the 300BLK and 6.8 a bit and was hunting down as much of the brass as I could recover given an all variant range day.  Snow was deep out at 100 and didn't need a base for the target... just stuck it into several feet.

Family of LMT MRP/MWS Variants (10.5" Noveske 300BLK, 14.5" LMT 6.8, 20" Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor)

Flyer was all me

Not related - MOE stipple job

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Great report and pictures. Thinking about waiting on LMT to come out with their 6.5 Creedmoor barrel before I try converting another manufacturer's barrel. Although, I'm eyeballing that 11.3" 300BLK  barrel Wilson Combat is offering for an MRP conversion. Will DBMG attach the gas block and gas tube on the conversion also?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  The tube is not retained on DBMG conversions to date so you have to be more careful with an uninstalled barrel.  Less an issue with pistol gas because the tube does not bounce around.  ETA:  Based on the SHOT pic of the new LMT barrels it looks like the 6.5 Creedmore is set for 1/9 ... I think I might prefer the Noveske 3R 1/8 spec.  I suppose the 6.8 remains the most compelling barrel to convert since LMT is standing firmly on 1x10 and old chamber.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice shooting.  What is factory Creedmoor ammo running these days?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice shooting.  What is factory Creedmoor ammo running these days?

Thanks.  Low $20s a box.  In addition to reloading the Hornady brass I just ordered some Lapua 243 brass from which I will try to form 6.5 Creedmoor brass.  Also have some 123 grain Lapua Scenar projectiles as well as some TSXs on the way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got a chance to take the 6.5CM out again yesterday and shot another 40 factory rounds at 100 yards (20 140AMAX, and 20 120AMAX).  120s shot more consistently tighter but best 5 shot group happened to be 0.68" with 140s.  No issues with catching brass this time out... will chalk it up to break in on the first outing.  Still using DPMS BCG that checked out for the Noveske chamber.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the update.  Please continue keeping us posted on your progress.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the nice write up and photos. Please keep us posted. I think you may cause me to spend some money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the nice write up and photos. Please keep us posted. I think you may cause me to spend some money.

No problem.  Forgot to mention that I did get a bipod for this trip but no bags behind... used my left arm.  Will have to make a special trip to try it out at greater distance.  Or, perhaps I should send my barrel and BCG to you for a second opinion and limited test of up to 100 rounds at distance.  

Noveske 6.5CM in MWS and 10.5" 300FB in MRP
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem. Forgot to mention that I did get a bipod for this trip but no bags behind... used my left arm. Will have to make a special trip to try it out at greater distance. Or, perhaps I should send my barrel and BCG to you for a second opinion and limited test of up to 100 rounds at distance.

Noveske 6.5CM in MWS and 10.5" 300FB in MRP

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/jasonusvi/V1.jpg

That would be interesting but you don't know me from Adam. I'm going to try to get out Friday and play with some 5.56 rifles and the SS 1-4x24 HD. I do love the distance the desert allows me on public lands.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Just curious Jason, why did you choose the creedmore over the 260 remington? Very nice shooting and write up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just curious Jason, why did you choose the creedmore over the 260 remington? Very nice shooting and write up.

Thanks.

1) Noveske makes a 6.5 Creedmoor and not a 260 (I like the 1x8 3R spec over spec LMT looks like it will come out with)
2) Reasonably priced match ammo
3) Correct or not have read that it feeds better on the margin, can load bullets longer, and that it might be less a barrel burner (so possibly longer useful life)

Don't want to start a debate over point 3.  I do think 260 is nice in that seems easier to reform 308 brass into 260.  I got a batch of Laupa 243 to convert and have tried a couple... seems easy enough but have not loaded and shot any yet (take out the expander and size them, trim, then expand, trim again).  Also have a batch of Hornady brass from my factory tests to start load development.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a really nice 6.5CM setup, jasonusvi. What trigger are you using? I have a Geissele DMR in my MA-TEN 6.5CM build and IMHO it contributes significantly to me being an accurate shooter.

And do try shooting some groups with a rear bag –– I'll bet you get close to half MOA. Those Noveske barrels are shooters.

My next step is the snipershide.com dot drill... A sheet full of half inch dots at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

1) Noveske makes a 6.5 Creedmoor and not a 260 (I like the 1x8 3R spec over spec LMT looks like it will come out with)

2) Reasonably priced match ammo

3) Correct or not have read that it feeds better on the margin, can load bullets longer, and that it might be less a barrel burner (so possibly longer useful life)

Don't want to start a debate over point 3. I do think 260 is nice in that seems easier to reform 308 brass into 260. I got a batch of Laupa 243 to convert and have tried a couple... seems easy enough but have not loaded and shot any yet (take out the expander and size them, trim, then expand, trim again). Also have a batch of Hornady brass from my factory tests to start load development.

Well you have captured my interest. I have some research to do. Nice rigs, please keep us posted.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is a really nice 6.5CM setup, jasonusvi. What trigger are you using? I have a Geissele DMR in my MA-TEN 6.5CM build and IMHO it contributes significantly to me being an accurate shooter.

And do try shooting some groups with a rear bag –– I'll bet you get close to half MOA. Those Noveske barrels are shooters.

My next step is the snipershide.com dot drill... A sheet full of half inch dots at 100 yards.

Still using the stock trigger.  Will have to pull the Geissele I have in a Service Rifle and get a rear bag.  You loading for your 6.5CM yet or find any particularly accurate suggestions?  Would be great to get some tips for this barrel.  Will also have to look up that dot drill... thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
No changes since last outing.  Harris bipod, same stock trigger, and no rear bag.  No failures on this 40 either.  Interestingly, 140s POI seems to be about 1/2" right of 120s at 100yards.  First 10 shot groups with 140s below.  I plan to take this rifle on a 1 day Hog hunt next month (my first).  Won't have time to work up loads so ordered a few boxes of Hornady 120GMX (Hornady equivalent of Barnes TTSX).  120 rounds to date... will clean for the first time.  ETA:  I'm sure this set up is more capable that my current abilities are able to demonstrate.  Eventually I'll get to the trigger, bag, and hand loads.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Shot to 300 at West Point range 5 on Saturday.  Its a challenge for me to find locations to shoot beyond 100 and looks like I will only get access to this range once or twice a year.  Was not allowed anything with trajectories better than 308 so had to swap back to the 16" CL.

Put my 12" square steel hanging as a diamond at 300.  Having switched from the 6.5CM barrel to the 308 barrel I had to adjust down 1.0mil of elevation and 0.5mil of windage to zero at 100 with cheap ammo.  Then dialed in 1.8mils of up elevation from the new zero to make 300.  Was happy to get 10 for 10 hits with Federal GMM.  Not a very challenging distance or particularly good group but am happy with the first results over 100 meters.  Getting that target to swing is fun.

Will report if I get zero shift off the original settings once I reinstall the 6.5CM.

308 Barrel back in with Stubby 10 round Pmag per NY mag rules.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got around to sizing the Hornady 6.5cm brass I generated from testing with factory ammo.  Will load some 120grain Lapuas and TSXs over TAC and Varget.  

Also made my first attempts at sizing a PPU 308 case and a couple of Lapua 243 cases into 6.5cm.  Had to adjust the sizing die by nearly another full turn after finishing the Hornady brass to get the 308 and 243 to check out in the 6.5cm case gage (following trimming).  Both versions chambered and ejected fine from my rifle.  

I may set the 243s aside for now because they have donuts in the neck from the thicker shoulder brass getting pushed up into the neck while the remaining neck brass not trimmed away is thinner.  I don't have neck reaming or turning tools and don't want to risk a possible pressure spike.  Might sell off the Lapua 243 brass.  

The 308 brass looks much more uniform and think I will size and load a few to try them out.  I had read that sizing from 308 to 6.5cm was a pain relative to 243 but so far don't see hassles or issues with the PPU 308 brass and the Lapua seems more problematic.  

ETA: With a bullet loaded in the 308 brass it is clear that the neck is too thick so unfortunately more work required than I thought.  

Factory Hornady 6.5cm, PPU 308 sized and trimmed, Lapua 243 sized and trimmed, Lapua 243 sized, Lapua 243

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
jasonusvi,

Do you have any updates on the function of your 6.5 barrel? Any idea how many rounds you have fired through your barrel at this point?

I have been trying to decide on .260 or 6.5, and have been leaning 6.5 due to the availibility of 6.5 factory ammo so long as it functions well in the mws.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
jasonusvi,

Do you have any updates on the function of your 6.5 barrel? Any idea how many rounds you have fired through your barrel at this point?

I have been trying to decide on .260 or 6.5, and have been leaning 6.5 due to the availibility of 6.5 factory ammo so long as it functions well in the mws.

Wish I could have dedicated more time to it but so far only 120 rounds I mention earlier.  I haven't had a failure in the most recent 80 rounds.  If I can get some time to trickle some reloads tonight I will try my first hand load groups / function tomorrow.  Between the .260 and 6.5 I thought the edge went to 6.5 for feeding, loading long, and reasonably priced factory ammo with benefit of .260 being easier forming of brass (I can't compare but 308 seems fine to me going to 6.5 through my Hornady dies).  

I might be willing to send you my barrel and BCG for your independent testing / report as I don't have easy access to a range over 100yards (or time to reach access).  Email me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
jasonusvi,

Wish I could have dedicated more time to it but so far only 120 rounds I mention earlier.  I haven't had a failure in the most recent 80 rounds.  If I can get some time to trickle some reloads tonight I will try my first hand load groups / function tomorrow.  Between the .260 and 6.5 I thought the edge went to 6.5 for feeding, loading long, and reasonably priced factory ammo with benefit of .260 being easier forming of brass (I can't compare but 308 seems fine to me going to 6.5 through my Hornady dies).  

I might be willing to send you my barrel and BCG for your independent testing / report as I don't have easy access to a range over 100yards (or time to reach access).  Email me.

Your reasons for choosing 6.5 are what I am finding most people say.

I have contacted lmt and was told their factory 6.5 barrels should be available in about a month. They are testing them now, so they are very close to completion.

I have a pm on the way for you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Shot the first 40 reloads today at 100 yards.  123 Lapua Scenars over approx 38.6 Varget dropped with a "Lee Perfect Powder" measure (no pressure signs) into once fired Hornady brass primed with CCI #34 7.62 primers.

My best three 5 shot groups were: 0.85", 0.77", 0.61".  Unfortunately forgot the stand for the Chrono so no velocity results yet.  

I'm guessing even better and more consistent results are possible If I spend time to work up some loads, install a Geissele, use sand bags (still using bipod and left for support from the bench), and improve technique / shoot more generally.  I also did not sort components for weight or weigh each charge.

Will put up some target pics up when I find my missing camera charger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Great info. Ref the LMT 6.8, I have my LMT barrel reamed to the SpecII, SPC II, whatever it's called now. No issues with SSA Combat Loads.

Now-when I shot the 85 grain TSX loads, had to use a standard buffer otherwiese it short stroked. I guess the gas flow was to sharp to get enough gas to function. The 110 grain loads, three kinds function 100% with the H buffer. I wonder if you have the opposite and it has to much gas causing the carrier to cycle faster?
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Great info. Ref the LMT 6.8, I have my LMT barrel reamed to the SpecII, SPC II, whatever it's called now. No issues with SSA Combat Loads.

Now-when I shot the 85 grain TSX loads, had to use a standard buffer otherwiese it short stroked. I guess the gas flow was to sharp to get enough gas to function. The 110 grain loads, three kinds function 100% with the H buffer. I wonder if you have the opposite and it has to much gas causing the carrier to cycle faster?

My LMT SS 6.8 reamed to SPCII (cut from 18 to 14.5 with perm vortex and pictured in first photo of thread) was over gassed and just got the gas port filled and redrilled smaller by ADCO.  

I haven't tried many loads yet but it feels much better now using an H2 buffer (it felt rough with an H3 previously).  I also got a few sub moa 6.8 groups yesterday with Nosler 115 HPBT seconds and Sierra 110 pro hunters over about 27.7 of dropped H322.  Velocity on the 115s is mid to high 2300s out of the 14.5" barrel.

What powder are you using for the 85 grainers or are you talking about factory SSA?  I plan to try some with both H322 and Re7.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#25]
All factory loads from SSA. At the time I did some reading and found that others had a similair issue with the lighter loadings. I have been throwing around th eidea of a MWS and the different calibers. No doubt on the conversion quality here, I'm waiting on the 300 Blk from LMT for my MRP. I wish that company could do the flange for the gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I took a few slightly fuzzy shots before the camera battery went down.

6.8 results on the left and 6.5CM results on the right.  The two groups on the lower left were the first results with Sierra pro hunters.  Not sure why I had a crap results just before the best 5 shot group I have had to date with that barrel (0.68").  160 rounds through the 6.5CM to date.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like the 6.5 has a lot of potential.

I emailed noveske and found out they will be making a 24" 6.5 CM barrel that really caught my interest. I am thinking I would like the 24" over the 20" just to get every little bit of velocity out of the round, plus I plan to use a 16" .308 at times to make a shorter package.

I am planning on varget as my 6.5 CM powder as well, that will keep my .308, .223 and 6.5 loads all on the same powder.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool news about the 24".  What do they say about timing?  Would be nice if its the same price as the 20".
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cool news about the 24".  What do they say about timing?  Would be nice if its the same price as the 20".

No response on the timing yet. I sent the email last night so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to let you know what I find out.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top