BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 52
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
78fordf150, what is "wenr to mfle"?

I went ahead and bought a 20" Rainier Arms Ultra Match 308 barrel for my MA-ten.

I havent shot it yet but im hoping to soon.  It was reasonably priced, Rainier has an excellent repuation here on arfcom.  They acctually dont make thier barrels, they are made on Shilen blanks (some of the best), and I heard that they are turned by White Oak Armament (also, very good).

They are kind of new and not many reviews or reports on them yet.  I took the chance.  So far the barrels looks great inside and out

ETA: Here is a thread about the Rainier Ultra Match barrels
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
78fordf150, what is "wenr to mfle"?

I went ahead and bought a 20" Rainier Arms Ultra Match 308 barrel for my MA-ten.

I havent shot it yet but im hoping to soon.  It was reasonably priced, Rainier has an excellent repuation here on arfcom.  They acctually dont make thier barrels, they are made on Shilen blanks (some of the best), and I heard that they are turned by White Oak Armament (also, very good).

They are kind of new and not many reviews or reports on them yet.  I took the chance.  So far the barrels looks great inside and out

ETA: Here is a thread about the Rainier Ultra Match barrels

I have been looking at them and a few others all evening. These look real promising.

Also looking at Black Hole weaponry. I need to make up my mind. Hopefully this weekend I can get my DPMS stripped down and the MA Ten put together.
I'm really glad I did this instead of just swapping barrels on the other one.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]
While I will say the Rainier Ultra matches are probably very good barrels, I think for the money you can do better. Many people do not realize you can go to companies like Krieger or Mike Rock and get a custom barrel made to your exact specs for length and contour, for the same price, if not less in some cases.

Case in point, for my mk12 mod 1 i am building I got a krieger barrel turned in the correct contour by compass lake engineering for 400, thats less than many of the mk12 barrels out there, and its on a blank from one of the best makers out there. Less than a Noveske, less than a centurian arms, and in my opinion on a better blank than pac nor or douglass. Another example, would be the douglass premium airguaged i got my dad for his Recce build from compass lake. Better barrel blank than alot of other companies selling douglass barrels, and only cost 325. I think alot of people dont realize you can go to these manufactures yourself and cut out the middle man markup, and get a better barrel than what is mass produced.

Now some will say that these places take a long time to get barrels from, but that has not been my experiance. I have gotten every custom barrel i have ordered in under a month, most in under two weeks.

My suggestion for a barrel would be to call around and see what you can get from somone like douglass, hart, mike rock, or krieger. You may be surprized at the money you could save, or the amount of barrel you can get for the same money. Again not to bash Rainer because they have always done good by me, and i keep going back to them for my parts, just not my barrels.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I come across this thread a while back from Rainier about Ma-TEN building, it has some good info in it for any one looking to build a MA-TEN.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The barrel is my biggest decision right now.  It's a good thing I don't have the money to buy it right now!!  I was looking at the Krieger or the Rainier Ultra match on their website.  I'm on a semi budget because I want to get this thing built and shoot it, but I want the best I can afford...  I know I want a threaded 18" barrel but not sure who.  Decisions, decisions
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
One minor thing regarding barrels.  Though generally this shouldn't be a problem, Rainier Arms will check the headspace for you if you buy both the barrel and bolt from them.  Most people say you generally don't have to worry about headspace, but I never shoot anything I put together myself without checking headspace first.  It could save you the cost of having to get some gauges, though you can recoup that cost over multiple builds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have to decide what flash hider I am going to use then I will be finished (until I decide which scope I want.  This week my Atlas bipod came in the mail and wow, this thing is freaking awesome. I was really sceptical about spending 230 bucks on a bipod but it appears it was money well spent. The atlas is built like a tank and is still really light. It makes my Harris look like a play toy.

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Does anyone know if an LWRC REPR upper will work on a MaTen lower?
I don't own a REPR, so can't say 100%, but it does appear to be an SR25 pattern, so it should work.

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if an LWRC REPR upper will work on a MaTen lower?

Nope the REPR is proprietary
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Call me dense, but I am still confused about .308 gas tubes. I know DPMS and Armalite patterns use different lengths for their gas tubes. This is how I understand it: DPMS pattern .308s use the same length gas tubes as regular AR-15s. So, if I get a .308 barrel by Kaiser or Rainier that says it has a midlength gas system, I buy a regular Ar-15 midlength gas tube and am good to go, correct?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Call me dense, but I am still confused about .308 gas tubes. I know DPMS and Armalite patterns use different lengths for their gas tubes. This is how I understand it: DPMS pattern .308s use the same length gas tubes as regular AR-15s. So, if I get a .308 barrel by Kaiser or Rainier that says it has a midlength gas system, I buy a regular Ar-15 midlength gas tube and am good to go, correct?

As long as you are using a DPMS barrel extension and DPMS BCG you can use the appropriate length AR-15 gas tube (ie: car, mid, rifle) but if you are using a Armalite barrel extension and armalite BCG you need the appropriate length AR-10 gas tube
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, thats what I figured, and yes I am buying all DPMS parts (to keep parts similarity between my other .308)
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Armalite uses different length gas tube for their rifle length.  I don't recall the info on the mid and carbine length.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Will this work?  I'm going to run a carbine legnth stock(for now) on my MA-10.  Will this buffer & spring (second line) work instead of the buffer and spring from slash?  Only reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to order some goods from the site and get the le/mil discount so every little bit helps...
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Will this work?  I'm going to run a carbine length stock(for now) on my MA-10.  Will this buffer & spring (second line) work instead of the buffer and spring from slash?  Only reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to order some goods from the site and get the le/mil discount so every little bit helps...

Maybe, you might need to get this part to make it work correctly. http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10207025&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

I can't remember if the factory AR10 carbine buffer tube is the same as an AR15 buffer tube. Someone should be along to confirm.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will this work?  I'm going to run a carbine length stock(for now) on my MA-10.  Will this buffer & spring (second line) work instead of the buffer and spring from slash?  Only reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to order some goods from the site and get the le/mil discount so every little bit helps...

Maybe, you might need to get this part to make it work correctly. http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10207025&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

I can't remember if the factory AR10 carbine buffer tube is the same as an AR15 buffer tube. Someone should be along to confirm.

It is longer.  You'll need the longer AR10 buffer tube.  Or you could use the Vltor A5, but with an H3 buffer instead of the A5 buffer.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn, I'll just go with the slash buffer and spring...
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, I'll just go with the slash buffer and spring...

Good choice. Slash comes strongly recommended by Magpul if that helps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
My first set went out today to mike at underground skunkworks this week, it will be 8 months till its back, but from what I have heard of miles work it should be well worth it.

Also still trying to find a 16 inch rifle length gas barrel for my other build. Anyone got any ideas?

Pat
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Sluh,
 The barrel I'm leaning towards right now is the 16" fulton Armory.  It is set up for a rifle length gas system, with a .936 gas block.  Nolo has the barrel and has a few pictures in this thread and the Mega picture thread...
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea I saw that barrel, nolo and I talked extensively about it actually before he got it. My only issue with it is the diameter. It's a heavy set up under the gasblock which I am concerned about the weight of. I want to keep this a lighter fast handling setup if I can. So far that's the only 16 inch rifle length I can find though.

Thanks for the help though
Pat
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been talking with Nolo about it as well.  I just about ordered one but they want $40 to ship it up here!  I want a semi light weight 16" black barrel so after paying the outrageous  shipping then I would most likely be paying even more shipping to send it off to be fluted and coated...

I sent an email to Ballistic Advantage about their barrels but I haven't heard anything back yet.  I figure they are on their way to shot show...  I also looked up Black Hole Weaponry but haven't been able to find any reviews on the net about their barrels, well I've found 1 review on different sites but it is the exact same review just copied and pasted every where...

So of course I'm stuck with the same old barrel dilemma, again...
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I to have been trying to get hold of ballistic advantage, and I doubt the reason you can't get hold of them is due to shot show. I tried least twice a week for a month and a half or so now, both emails and phone calls. Neither form of messages returned, so honestly I am kind of turned off on them due to their lack of ever calling a potential customer back.

The reason I haven't gotten one of the fulton kriegers due to the same thing as you. I don't want to pay for it, them pay to ship it to adco and have it reprofiled . Just ends up being to much money.

Hope I can hear back from ballistic advantage sometime reasonably soon.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I need some range reports!!. From the guys that are lucky enough to already have their sticks built...

Who makes DPMS barrels? I've also kicked around the idea of buying a SASS barrel...  It's a good thing I don't have enough cash for everything right now. Otherwise I would be jumping into this build without doing the research I should.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
What are the specs on your barrel?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Adco or Marvin do the dimples? or someone i dunno about?

Pat
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are the specs on your barrel?

18" Noveske.
KAC style dimples

Very nice!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Haha, good timing. Barrel looks great. I'm expecting my 16" 7.62 Noveske bbl back from Marvin this next week.
He's a busy man. Just got my Afghan bbl back Tuesday from him.
I'm running out of Noveske barrels to send to him!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Marvin is the man, i got a 12.5 and 11.5 on the way to him myself. If i can just get a dang 16 inch rifle gas 308 barrel for this figured out it will go to him as well.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I should probably check in here....

Everything but the BCG, scope mount and rail. Ordering the rail this week I hope. Maybe the mount too.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m281/cowboy7242001/IMG_1649.jpg

Man that looks good!!!

Thinking about having Dimples or flutes put on my 18in Rainier ultra match. But was wondering if it affects accuracy, seeings how it
is done after the bore is already finished? Always been told it could affect the accuracy quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#34]
would i be correct in assuming that the DD 7.62 lite rail will line up perfectly with the top rail on the ma-ten upper?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Got my kac m110 gas block in today! slow but sure is the motto for this build

Pat

Sluh,
Where did you get this from?  I also need some Marvin info...  Does he have a website, pics of his work, a member?  Where, how do I find more info.?
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I was browsing for 308 free float handguards today and came across this on Troy's online store:  http://store.troyind.com/13_8_MRF_308_BattleRail_Black_p/strx-e3a-12bt-xx.htm
It is the Troy BattleRail TRX-308, which they say is "coming soon."  It appears to be a .308 version of the TRX Extreme rails, which I hear a lot of good things about... they are supposed to be very lightweight, modular, and really narrow, which supposedly is very comfortable.  I linked to the 12" version, but the site has 13.8" and 7.2" versions, too.  Looks like pretty good prices... the 12" is $205.  I don't know when they are supposed to hit the market, but it might be something to consider for those who are planning a MA-Ten build.  They come in Old DPMS, New DPMS, or Armalite rail height, and their barrel nut is DPMS-compatible.  Looks like they had the MA-Ten in mind when they designed this.

On another subject, do any of you know of anybody who makes a light-profile, 20" chrome-lined 7.62x51 barrel other than Armalite?  For my MA-Ten build, I am wanting to do a battle rifle with a full-length barrel, but keep it light weight... I'd like it to be in the same weight category as an M-14 or FAL, as in under 10 lbs., but with the accuracy and ease of mounting optics of an AR.  I would like to use a DPMS pattern barrel so I can use regular AR gas tubes and so I have more options with bolts, but I don't see anybody making a barrel that is light-profile like Armalite's, with chrome lining, in DPMS pattern.  All the custom barrels are heavy profile match-type barrels.  If it comes down to it, I will go Armalite... it is more important to me to have a chrome bore/chamber than it is to have a chrome bolt.  

Really an Armalite AR-10A2 barrel is perfect for what I want to do.  I want to keep the fixed front sight, and put one of those Troy TRX-308 12" rails over it with my sling attached to the rail.  That way I wouldn't be pulling on the front sight when I am slung up in a loop sling.  

I will probably go with an E-mod stock, because I want a telescoping stock that still has some storage.  I have an ACOG TA-55A, the 5.5x one that is made for 7.62x51, that would sit nicely on it, too.  It is currently on my M1A, but it is a bit of an awkward setup that requires a high cheek riser.

Anyway, good seing everybody's builds... it looks like the MA-Ten is a pretty kick ass product.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was browsing for 308 free float handguards today and came across this on Troy's online store:  http://store.troyind.com/13_8_MRF_308_BattleRail_Black_p/strx-e3a-12bt-xx.htm
It is the Troy BattleRail TRX-308, which they say is "coming soon."  It appears to be a .308 version of the TRX Extreme rails, which I hear a lot of good things about... they are supposed to be very lightweight, modular, and really narrow, which supposedly is very comfortable.  I linked to the 12" version, but the site has 13.8" and 7.2" versions, too.  Looks like pretty good prices... the 12" is $205.  I don't know when they are supposed to hit the market, but it might be something to consider for those who are planning a MA-Ten build.  They come in Old DPMS, New DPMS, or Armalite rail height, and their barrel nut is DPMS-compatible.  Looks like they had the MA-Ten in mind when they designed this.

On another subject, do any of you know of anybody who makes a light-profile, 20" chrome-lined 7.62x51 barrel other than Armalite?  For my MA-Ten build, I am wanting to do a battle rifle with a full-length barrel, but keep it light weight... I'd like it to be in the same weight category as an M-14 or FAL, as in under 10 lbs., but with the accuracy and ease of mounting optics of an AR.  I would like to use a DPMS pattern barrel so I can use regular AR gas tubes and so I have more options with bolts, but I don't see anybody making a barrel that is light-profile like Armalite's, with chrome lining, in DPMS pattern.  All the custom barrels are heavy profile match-type barrels.  If it comes down to it, I will go Armalite... it is more important to me to have a chrome bore/chamber than it is to have a chrome bolt.  

Really an Armalite AR-10A2 barrel is perfect for what I want to do.  I want to keep the fixed front sight, and put one of those Troy TRX-308 12" rails over it with my sling attached to the rail.  That way I wouldn't be pulling on the front sight when I am slung up in a loop sling.  

I will probably go with an E-mod stock, because I want a telescoping stock that still has some storage.  I have an ACOG TA-55A, the 5.5x one that is made for 7.62x51, that would sit nicely on it, too.  It is currently on my M1A, but it is a bit of an awkward setup that requires a high cheek riser.

Anyway, good seing everybody's builds... it looks like the MA-Ten is a pretty kick ass product.

Yeah, saw the SHOT video. This is the rail that's replacing my DD Lite 12.0 on my MATEN.
Should shave almost half a pound after all things considered. Got my barrel back from dimpling, which took another half pound off. So, a full pound off the front end of the rifle. :-)
Those Elk better be scared!
Let's just hope with a slightly bigger barrel nut and some rework of the rail, that it mounts a little more solid than the 556 TRX.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is the rail that's replacing my DD Lite 12.0 on my MATEN.

is it mostly just the weight factor with the DD rail? or other reasons you'd want to replace it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I will probably swith my RA 11" out when the Troy TRX comes out. I'm sure it will @ least 4oz's lighter
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the rail that's replacing my DD Lite 12.0 on my MATEN.

is it mostly just the weight factor with the DD rail? or other reasons you'd want to replace it?

Weight only.  The DD is rock solid.  Love it.  Problem is, I'm trying to shed every single ounce I can off my 16" MATEN.  I've been waiting on a rail lighter than the DD - this is it.
Not that the DD is heavy, for what it is, but this is lighter.
Once I get this rail, the DD's goin up in the EE for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I received some parts in today, and there are some issues.

I went with the Rainiers Arms Ultra Match Barrel, and order the 308 stainless muzzle brake, and the low profile gas block.

The gas block does not fit on the barrel, and the muzzle brake fits but looks horrible.

The barrel is thicker than the PRI MSTN QC muzzle brake, so it looks like its the wrong one, but it does say 308 on it.

Either the barrel is to thick, or these parts just aren't the right ones to use.

Also, does anyone know why there are two barrel nuts in the DD rail box?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I went with the Rainiers Arms Ultra Match Barrel, and order the 308 stainless muzzle brake, and the low profile gas block.

The gas block does not fit on the barrel, and the muzzle brake fits but looks horrible.

The barrel is thicker than the PRI MSTN QC muzzle brake, so it looks like its the wrong one, but it does say 308 on it.

Either the barrel is to thick, or these parts just aren't the right ones to use.

Thanks.

Not the best picture, but does this look right?

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Not the best picture, but does this look right?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/MuzzleBrake.jpg

Rainier has taken care of everything and are getting the right parts out to me.

They stated that because I got the 24" barrel, the gas block needs to be larger.

I also ordered a different brake, as I don't like the look of the taper being smaller than the barrel, so I went with one that does not have a tapered end.

Rainier was great to work with, and I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Fireman-JB,

Hey sorry just saw your post. I got the m110 gassblock off of here on the EE. Its a rare find for sure and cost me a pretty penny, even thought i got it for less than what i normally see them for. If anyone is interested a reproduction is produced by Badger tactical, price is a cool 450 for the gas block. . . .

I never did get any amount of interest for the one i drew up and was looking to get made. In the end i figured it cheaper to buy this one than make one or two off for myself. If anyone is interested in them let me know. If we get a good enough number its something i can have put into production.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#45]
What action block/vise has everyone been using while putting your mega together??
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What action block/vise has everyone been using while putting your mega together??

DPMS - works perfect and is strong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Brownells panther claw type device with the top from a Block Worx.

Also, used the standard AR15 bolt catch, works fine.  Locks back on empty mags, easy to lock back manually.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#49]
VERY NICE
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Troy announced a TRX Extreme for the 308 guns so I snagged a rainer to use on mine in the mean time.

Yeah, I have one of the TRX's on order, they said they'll ship out at the end of the week (though we'll see if that happens)

Page / 52
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top