Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 52
Posted: 11/8/2010 1:33:55 AM EDT
With all of the threads pertaining to the new Mega MaTen being posted I thought it would be a good idea to do a brief write up covering the most commonly asked questions, this should help condense the information into one easy to access place, and hopefully cut down on a lot of repeat questions that have been popping up. Should also make it easier to search for answers making every one happy. I am not sure how to go about getting this tagged, but it would be nice if it was so that it wouldn't fall out of the first page where some people have trouble finding stuff.

Things to be covered
1.1   What Comes with a MaTen Reciever Set
1.2   Lower Parts Kits
1.3   Barrels
1.4   Stocks
1.5   Bolt Groups
1.6   Handguards and rails

1.1)What Comes with a MaTen Reciever Set?
My sets were delivered in a nice white box with Mega logo on it. In the box you will find your upper and your lower. The following parts will already be installed in the lower, the front and rear take down pins are already installed with their respective detents and springs. The rear take down pin detent and spring are installed from under the receiver, next to where the safety detent and spring will go. The spring is secured with a set screw so that it cannot escape when changing grips. Also included is a bolt catch pin, this is threaded, and requires the use of an allen key to remove. This greatly lowers the difficulty of installing the bolt catch and is a welcome addition to the set. Lastly the charging handle should be installed in the upper receiver. The charging handle appears to use standard AR15 latches, but as of now I cannot confirm this 100%, I have a badger latch to install in it, but so far I have not. I will update this when I have do so to confirm it works.

1.2)Lower Parts Kits
This seems to be the big question everyone is asking, what parts kit do I need, or what parts can I buy to complete this lower? Simple answer, all mill spec AR15 parts kits will include all of the necessary parts needed to complete your lower. Buying a complete lower parts kit will leave you with parts left over once you have completed the assembly, mainly the detents and springs for the take down pins, the take down pins themselves, as well as the trigger guard, the trigger guard roll pin, and the bolt catch roll pin.

The parts you will need out of the Lower parts kit are as follows
- mag catch
- mag catch spring
- mag catch button
- bolt catch
- bolt catch bearing
- bolt catch spring
- selector switch
- selector detent
- selector spring
- buffer catch
- buffer catch spring
- pistol grip
- pistol grip screw and lock washer
*** important note, the DPMS 308 bolt catch will not function properly in the MaTen as it is designed for AR15 lower parts***

If you decide to order these parts individually there are several sources from which to order them.
Rock River Arms
Del-Ton
Bushmaster
pkfirearms.com
palmetto State Armory

In my experience, which is limited, these companies do not charge full shipping on these parts, so you do save some money that way. For what its worth I believe it cost me around $27 dollars to order the parts individually from rock river to complete the lower. This did not include the trigger group, or the pistol grip.

1.3)Barrels
There are many great barrel choices out there for the MaTen and this is not going to be a comprehensive list by any means. It is simply a way to give an overview of what is out there. Most important thing to remember **** if you get a barrel with a DPMS extension you must use a DPMS bolt group, conversely if your barrel has an armalite extension you must use an armalite bolt group*** failure to do so may cause damage to your weapon, or your person. You know loss of life or limb, that sort of thing.

Noveske offers great barrels, they are machined on PacNor blanks, finished by noveske rifle works. They use an Armalite barrel extension which requires the use of an Armalite bolt group.

Rainier Arms offers a selection of 308 barrels in their Ultramatch line. These are barrels on Shilen blanks turned for them by an unamed source. Shilen blanks are well regarded, and come in several grades. It is not listed which grade blank is utilized by Rainier for these barrels. Reviews have been well received however, and these barrels offer the choice of either barrel extension.

Krieger offers barrels as well. Krieger is highly regarded in the bolt gun world and produces some of the finest barrels available. Cost is up there though. Available with both barrel extensions as well.

Ballistic Advantage does custom work, and I know they offer many options of blanks such as Douglas airguaged XX and can do both barrel extensions.

DPMS, and armalite offer barrels as well. I am waiting to hear back if companies like GA precision or APA will sell the barrels they use in their 308 builds separately or not.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
1.4)  Stocks
You have an unlimited choice of stocks for the MaTen build. You can utilize AR15 spec buffer tubes, both commercial and mill spec, and stocks. For instance I have a C1 length receiver extension on one of my builds with a Cav Arms C1 stock with a Seirra Precision adjustable butt pad on it, while on my other build I have a Vltor Emod with Vltor tube. It is important to note that when using an AR15 car extension you need to get a special buffer. These buffers are offered by Slash, a member on this site, at his website Heavy Buffers . Again this buffer and modified spring combo is needed to run an AR15 collapsible stock on your Mega MaTen build.

1.5)  Bolt Groups
As mentioned previously there are two *COMPLETELY DIFFERENT* bolt groups available for use in your MaTen build, and each *MUST* be used with their respective barrel extension. The two types are Armalite and DPMS style bolt carrier groups. My research has turned up very few if any negatives on the newest versions of each bolt group, however I believe older versions of the Armalite may not function properly with certain trigger groups due to the opening in the bolt where the hammer must pass. I will continue to look into this and update if needed. What I have found though is that there appears to be more choices available regarding the DPMS style of bolt group, with coating options like hard chrome out, and after market choices from makers like JP enterprises with their low mass bolt system. The Armalite seems to only be offered in good old park finish which works just great, but does not offer the ease of cleaning like one gets with a hard chrome. I do know that there are several places that will coat bcgs with varrious coatings, i do not however know if they offer thier services for 308 groups.

1.6)  Handguards and Rails
The MaTen uses a DPMS threaded on the area where the barrel is inserted. This means that all handguards used must be take a DPMS barrel nut. JP makes the V-tac handguard that can be used, Daniel Defense lite rails in the dpms pattern will also work, as will the KAC URX. Unfortunatly at this time LaRue Rails are only avalible with an AR10 pattern nut and cannot be used.

I do not know what pattern the LMT bolt from the MWS is patterned after, so I cannot comment on the use of that bolt group for these builds.

I will continue to add to this FAQ with more sections if any more questions start to be come reoccurring themes. I will also go through and make some of the links hot and add little pieces here and there on where you can possibly find some parts for good deals. Sorry for the wall of text as well, maybe we can get some photos in there too. Please let me know if there are any other questions regarding this FAQ or the MaTen and I will answer them to the best of my ability.  

Thanks to 1811guy who I stole the parts kit list from, hope he doesn't mind and thanks as well to NoloContendere who pointed out it would be helpful to have.

Pat.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job on the write-up, and about time.

Here's a LINK to my build as it shows a sample exhaustive parts list.

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is my parts list.  Just put mine together yesterday and function tested properly!  I can not wait to get out and shoot it.  

Mega upper/lower
Noveske 18” barrel
Armalite LPK2stg NM (lots of extra parts)
DPMS .308 Bolt Catch
Ergo DLX w/ Palm Shelf
AR 10 Buffer spring
AR 10 Buffer
Rifle Buffer Tube
SJC Titan Compensator
Dan Def 12” Rail
Magpul PRS AR10
BCG (Gen 3) No F/A notches

On a side note.  Someone had asked about the DPMS 308 bolt catch not working with the armalite BCG.  
Mine seems to function just fine however I have not been to the range yet I have just been functionchecking it.

Thanks
Bones
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Great job! You have been very helpful in my quest to build an awesome 308ar!

I'll leave this here as a placeholder for
When I get all my gear together and assembled.

So Far, I have ordered the following:(price)

Mega Machine from RifleGear.com (499)
Daniel Defense LPK from DSGArms.com (70) (Great kit)
UBR in foliage green from DSGArms (199) (plus 15$ off coupon in the dsg arms forum here on ar15.com!) (fits like a glove)
Heavy Slash buffer/spring (135) from heavybuffers.com (very nice!)
Phase5Tactical EBRv2 (53) (from their website, needs some extra sanding work to fit, see page 4)
Larue Tactical LT10-11 Rails $250 (new from ar15.com EE) (FAIL!)
DPMS Chrome Bolt Carrier Group, Phosphated bolt (JSESurplus $250)
Samson Star10-13.2" Rail (400 w/ barrel nut)
AAC Blackout (70$ from dealer friend)
Fulton Armory 16" SS Barrel (320$)
Millet 4-16*50 TRS-1 ($210 off EE)
Burris PEPR mount (70$ from SWFA)
JP Enterprise Adjustable Gas Block w/ Rifle gas tube ($88)
(total 2360'ish)

contemplating the Krieger 16" SS Barrel from Fulton-Armory.com (which they have in stock) with the Titan Chrome Bolt Carrier.  That will be the next purchase.
Then the handguards, either Larue or DD, then the scope... a Millett 4-16x50 trs-1 .mil/.mil w/ larue mount
Ordered the 13.2" Troy FDE MRF 308 rail ($180 black friday special) (FAIL.  New troy rails use new dpms rail height, NOT compatible with Ma-Ten build)
JP Adjustable Low Profile Gas Block ($80 w/ shipping)

of course, then my AAC 7.62 Blackout 51T mount for my 762-SD suppressor

installed the lower parts kit, and UBR this morning at 5am.  The UBR mounting screw is a bugger to get tightened down.  Magpul put too much blue loctite on the threads and I'm surprised I got it tightened down without stripping it.  Stock is awesome though.  

Got my 762 aac suppressor mount today and just ordered by 16" ss barrel from Fulton armory

Ordered an Atlas V8 Bipod from Triad Tactical today. (220$)

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is my parts list.  Just put mine together yesterday and function tested properly!  I can not wait to get out and shoot it.  

Mega upper/lower
Noveske 18” barrel
Armalite LPK2stg NM (lots of extra parts)
DPMS .308 Bolt Catch
Ergo DLX w/ Palm Shelf
AR 10 Buffer spring
AR 10 Buffer
Rifle Buffer Tube
SJC Titan Compensator
Dan Def 12” Rail
Magpul PRS AR10
BCG (Gen 3) No F/A notches

On a side note.  Someone had asked about the DPMS 308 bolt catch not working with the armalite BCG.  
Mine seems to function just fine however I have not been to the range yet I have just been functionchecking it.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6640/dscn1303c.jpg

Thanks
Bones

Let us know how that bolt catch works out as there have been conflicting reports as to fit and function. Yours fit with no modifications?

Thanks SLUHstud for all your help in info!
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, the guys at Rainier Arms are telling me I should hand-fit my DPMS .308 bolt catch to my MA-TEN lower by removing some material from the bolt catch. It looks like the DPMS bolt catches vary in size enough to cause some issues.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything that requires hand fitting i am saying is not compatible just so people dont get upset when it donesnt just drop in and work. Some people dont like to tinker with projects, some of us do.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I wont be out to the range for several months as I am currently bedridden with a broken leg.
Surgery #5 in morning for skin graft to close up faciatomy wound cant wait to get rid of the erector set around my leg!

OK Im not trying to sound mean or make anyone look bad but when I first put the DPMS bolt catch on I couldnt figure out why it would not work properly.
After tearing it back apart, I realized I had forgotten to put the cap/detent over the spring however once I put that on it function checks great
(and believe me all I do is sit here and play with it since I have NOTHING else to do LOL)

Only thing I have left to do is tighten the barrel and install the gas tube and she is ready to go.  I just cant hop out to my garage to set it up in the vice yet.

Great post SLUHstud!
Bones
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just waiting for money to do my build, but this should be tacked
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The DPMS bolt catch worked fine but I swapped it for the Phase 5 V2,
this is one smooth shooter with the adjustable gas block

Building another but it will have a adjustabe piston
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#11]
what adjustable block are you using?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
which phase 5 did you go with the v1 or v2? I am planning on going with a v2 with the lpk. then I dont have to order a 308 bolt catch. Also which BCG are you guys using? I see jse sells chrome lined BCG's but I also heard dmps is not the best to buy. I figured since rainier is out of their 20 inch barrels, unless I go with a 24 incher.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what adjustable block are you using?

A on/off/suppressed 3 position stainless block I made since Noveske is taking so long to come out with a 308 switchblock.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I am considering using one of the Kaiser barrels, does this use a DPMS or AR10 bolt?  I am not buying that it will accept either.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am considering using one of the Kaiser barrels, does this use a DPMS or AR10 bolt?  I am not buying that it will accept either.

Call Rainier.  And correct - it's either one or the other.  They MAY be able to offer it with either bbl ext however, like their own barrels.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call Rainier.  And correct - it's either one or the other.  They MAY be able to offer it with either bbl ext however, like their own barrels.

I did call them.  They told me either one.  I am thinking of just steering clear of the barrels altogether and getting something that I know will work.  Noveske is looking better every day.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am considering using one of the Kaiser barrels, does this use a DPMS or AR10 bolt? I am not buying that it will accept either.

Call Rainier. And correct - it's either one or the other. They MAY be able to offer it with either bbl ext however, like their own barrels.

I did call them. They told me either one. I am thinking of just steering clear of the barrels altogether and getting something that I know will work. Noveske is looking better every day.

Cant go wrong with that option.  you pay a little more but know what you are getting!
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there a significant difference between running a 20 in vs a 24 in barrel ? And if not & i went the Noveske route would i still be able to use my dpms bcg ?
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there a significant difference between running a 20 in vs a 24 in barrel ? And if not & i went the Noveske route would i still be able to use my dpms bcg ?

Greater velocity in the 24" (and weight) but you can not use the dpms bcg...noveske is strictly armalite.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You will get some added velocity on your shots with the extra 4 inches, but its not that great unless you are shooting out over 800 yards or so. You can still reach out to over a 1000 yards with a 20 incher Nd get reliable hits. You will save a lot of weight and gain better balance and handling with the 20 inch .

No you cannot use a dpms bolt group with a noveske barrel.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#21]

here's what I have so far!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Well I'd say that is a pretty darn good start. Looking real good!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I havent even tried to look for the parts I need, I plan on going with a 2 stage giselle trigger in the LPK,  chrome lined bcg from JSE surplus, and a 24 inch barrel from rainier and jp rails, and for the stock I am going with the magpul PRS and for shits and giggles I am adding on a phase 5 bolt catch. as for the flas hider I muight go with a FSC 308 I love it on my 6920.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Looks nice bud! I will have to bust out the camera here and see if i can show my babies off a bit too

BTW i like your idea on the 16 inch krieger from fulton. . . good choice in my book for sure. . .but then u already know that lol

Pat

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looks nice bud! I will have to bust out the camera here and see if i can show my babies off a bit too

BTW i like your idea on the 16 inch krieger from fulton. . . good choice in my book for sure. . .but then u already know that lol

Pat

Thanks Pat!  You have been a wonderful help.  I just ordered my Larue Tactical 11" handguards tonight

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Sweet man, be sure to throw up more photos as you get further along. I am just finalizing my parts list right now and will b throwing it up here shortly.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Thanks Pat!  You have been a wonderful help.  I just ordered my Larue Tactical 11" handguards tonight

Unfortunately the LaRue handguards use an AR10 pattern barrel nut, which will not work with the MA-TEN. You must use a DPMS or KAC pattern barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Unfortunately the LaRue handguards use an AR10 pattern barrel nut, which will not work with the MA-TEN. You must use a DPMS or KAC pattern barrel nut.

this is unfortunate news.  are you 100% sure?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Yes. LT has no plans in the works for a DPMS bbl nut, either.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

Yes. LT has no plans in the works for a DPMS bbl nut, either.

shit!  that's what I get. i bought it off the EE for a pretty good price.  Guess i'll just have to sell it now. ugh.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
That was news to me as well, sorry that it wont workout for ya. I did however add a section to the FAQ regarding this new info we learned, so now everyone will know.

As far as a solution to the issue, you could resell them, OR you could be a badass and see about getting a shop to make you a custom barrel nut, honestly i dont think it would be hard or expensive actually. Then you can be the first with a LaRue DPMS rail!

Shoot me an IM if you are interested in going that way, if you got me the LaRue nut i could easily draw up a cad file on a new DPMS nut for you, and send you the print to take to a shop.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/Mega308done10w.jpg

Your rifle looks awesome.  A couple of quick question.  I'm planning on building my MA-Ten with the same SWS handguards.  How difficult is the installation and can it be installed with a barrel that already has the gas block attached?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your rifle looks awesome.  A couple of quick question.  I'm planning on building my MA-Ten with the same SWS handguards.  How difficult is the installation and can it be installed with a barrel that already has the gas block attached?  Thanks.

The SWS hanguard is easy to install and with a low profile gas block the handguard will slide over it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#34]
NOTE:

Every attempt was made to ensure our AR10 handguards work with all .308 AR-platform rifles.

However, variations in some manufacturer's receiver profiles may require some minor gunsmithing (hand-filing, or minor Dremel work) to the LaRue Keeper that locks into the receiver. The Keeper not only prevents the Handguard Nut from loosening, it also prevents the Handguard from rotating, by fitting into the receiver.

I had planned on using their rail on my ma-ten build. there is what you claim and what their site says. so which is it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NOTE:
Every attempt was made to ensure our AR10 handguards work with all .308 AR-platform rifles.
However, variations in some manufacturer's receiver profiles may require some minor gunsmithing (hand-filing, or minor Dremel work) to the LaRue Keeper that locks into the receiver. The Keeper not only prevents the Handguard Nut from loosening, it also prevents the Handguard from rotating, by fitting into the receiver.

I had planned on using their rail on my ma-ten build. there is what you claim and what their site says. so which is it?

No one is claiming it will fit the ma-ten build.  i ordered one thinking it would fit b/c their website said "work with all 308 ar platform rifles".  From reading other posts on this and other forums, it's apparent it won't work.  That said, me and sluhstud are working on a barrel nut alternative Larue tactical ar10 handguards.  so, don't count it out yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Correct... The LT handguards are not the problem its the barrel nut is the problem.  The MA-TEN is DPMS/Knight barrel nut compatible and it appears the LT nut is Armalite/Noveske compatable.

I have emailed LT about the matter and should knowfor sure either Monday or Tuesday and will post what they send me on here.

Bones
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SWS hanguard is easy to install and with a low profile gas block the handguard will slide over it.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/DSCN1379w.jpg

Thanks for the info!  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Correct... The LT handguards are not the problem its the barrel nut is the problem.  The MA-TEN is DPMS/Knight barrel nut compatible and it appears the LT nut is Armalite/Noveske compatable.

I have emailed LT about the matter and should knowfor sure either Monday or Tuesday and will post what they send me on here.

Bones

I posted in their industry forum, but i agree an email/phone call would be better.  either way, we will get these to work.  i wonder how different other manufacurer dpms specific barrel nuts are...
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#39]
My two builds in progress

Build 1
Mega MaTen Reciever set
BCM Gunfighter Large Latch
DPMS BCG
SSA-E trigger group
Seirra Precision Grip
Cav Arms C1 stock with Seirra Precision Adj Butt pad
Krieger 1:11 twist 20 inch m110 profile with 308 battle comp
KAC URX Rail system
KAC Micro rear BUIS
Larue SPR mount
SWFA SS 10xHD glass
( as you can see some parts are still on the way lol )

Build 2

Mega MaTen Reciever set
BCM Medium latch gunfigher
Bill Springe field 3lb battle trigger
Ambi Mag release
Ergo grip
Vltor Emod w slash heavy buffer and spring
I kick hippies SLAP plate
Douglass airguaged xx 13.7 inch with pinned 308 battle comp to reach 16 inches
JP enterprises rifle length handguard with top rail
KAC micro BUIS front and rear
Larue SPR 104
SWFA 1-4 power ss when it comes out
Offset aimpoint micro
( of course missing parts as well. . . hurry up USPS! )

Both together

Pat

PS Nolo is ruining the surprize but he is right, he is going to be getting me some parts to look at and see if we cannot come up with a workable solution to get LaRue Rails to play nice with these Mega MaTen sets, of course Nolo gets the first so he can be the coolest kid on the block with his LaRue Rail setup on his MaTen before anyone else if we can make it work.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My two builds in progress

Build 1
Mega MaTen Reciever set
BCM Gunfighter Large Latch
DPMS BCG
SSA-E trigger group
Seirra Precision Grip
Cav Arms C1 stock with Seirra Precision Adj Butt pad
Krieger 1:11 twist 20 inch m110 profile with 308 battle comp
KAC URX Rail system
KAC Micro rear BUIS
Larue SPR mount
SWFA SS 10xHD glass
( as you can see some parts are still on the way lol )
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/SLUHstud/P1000121.jpg

Build 2

Mega MaTen Reciever set
BCM Medium latch gunfigher
Bill Springe field 3lb battle trigger
Ambi Mag release
Ergo grip
Vltor Emod w slash heavy buffer and spring
I kick hippies SLAP plate
Douglass airguaged xx 13.7 inch with pinned 308 battle comp to reach 16 inches
JP enterprises rifle length handguard with top rail
KAC micro BUIS front and rear
Larue SPR 104
SWFA 1-4 power ss when it comes out
Offset aimpoint micro
( of course missing parts as well. . . hurry up USPS! )
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/SLUHstud/P1000120.jpg

Both together
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/SLUHstud/P1000122.jpg

Pat

PS Nolo is ruining the surprize but he is right, he is going to be getting me some parts to look at and see if we cannot come up with a workable solution to get LaRue Rails to play nice with these Mega MaTen sets, of course Nolo gets the first so he can be the coolest kid on the block with his LaRue Rail setup on his MaTen before anyone else if we can make it work.

lookin' good!!!

doh! i didn't know it was a surprise!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#41]
i am just messing with ya lol, spread the word man. Just got to make sure there isnt something i am over looking in the design though that physically makes it impossible, or increases the difficulty alot.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#42]
is this decent? I am trying to find a good bolt. I heard dmps isnt that great of a brand.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpms308boltcarrierassemblyphosphate-1.aspx
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Where did you hear DPMS wasnt that great of a brand exactly? What was it in relation to? If you ask out there in general discussion about dpms, you very well might get some negative responses, but thats probably from the guys comparing a DPMS to a noveske rifle, or one build by MSTN. DPMS is a mass manufacture like rock river arms, and as such many will shun then thinking they are not good enough to be cool with on the interwebs. I have not heard of any issues with DPMS bolts, especially in 308. In reality thats one of two choices you have, you can get the DPMS bolt, or the armalite bolt, both of which have thier fans and thier detractors. Everyone in the 308 game uses one or the other, Fulton Armory with thier custom titan uses that exact same bolt, and i know fulton armory wouldnt use crap. GAP and APA, both very good custom rifle makers use DPMS bolts in their guns, so I would not be worried.

That is a great price on the bolt as well, however they have the non chrome one for even less if you dont care about having to scrub a little to clean it up.

I would get that bolt, or the other dpms bolt and not lose sleep over it, infact thats what i have. . .and i slept great last night.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#44]
My phase5 308 tactical lever came in today.  It's a very tight fit and feels like it needs to be sanded down a bit on one of the sides.  Also my Slash's modified spring and extra heavy buffer came in today too!  just need a barrel and bcg and rail now!!!

eta: just ordered my Chrome DPMS bolt from JSESurplus for $250.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm building a Mega MaTen & I've decided on 2 scopes & was hoping you guys could offer some suggestions . The first scope i was looking at is the USOptics SN3 3.2x17 with 35mm tube & 1/4 moa knobs & a MOA scale reticle . This build with all the options I want is gonna run me around $2800 out the door with mounts .The other scope I'm looking at is the Vortex Razor HD 5x20 with the moa reticle . That scope is gonna run me about $2300 with mounts & all the options I want .I know the USOptics scope is amazing and I've had a chance to actually pick it up & look through it , but is there any reason to get the Vortex over the USOptics other than the difference in price ?
http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN3-1700
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-5-20x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry man, scopes like that are a little to rich for my blood at the moment, but here is a great review on one of them you are looking at. I havent read it recently enough to remeber if its the same ret you are wanting, but its the same scope. Its a review from someone on this site, he goes by LoneWolfUSMC and is active in the precision rifle area in the armory forum. Nice guy from when i have talked to him, I am sure he can help with any questions you have as well.

Hope it helps and sorry i couldnt help more.

Razor review

Pat
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOTE:

No one is claiming it will fit the ma-ten build. i ordered one thinking it would fit b/c their website said "work with all 308 ar platform rifles". From reading other posts on this and other forums, it's apparent it won't work. That said, me and sluhstud are working on a barrel nut alternative Larue tactical ar10 handguards. so, don't count it out yet.

great :| I don't really want to go with the shorter DD rail but I suppose if I have to.. thats great news let me know if you plan on making more than just a couple for yourselvs.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Another potential barrel source is http://blackholeweaponry.com/

I have ordered a polygonal 3 flute barrel from them for my MaTen.  I will post a quick review when I get a chance to see/shoot it.

Barrel extension is DPMS style.
Some barrels they chamber for the ar10 .308, 7mm 08, 260rem, 6.5/284
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#49]

blackhole is who I'm going with. as for the ar10 part this is from another forum.

"All our AR10 barrels are DPMS compatible and do not fit the Armalite extensions. AR10 is a platform for the larger diameter barrels, an inch and a quarter at the extension end about. Our BCG's are of the DPMS platform as well. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks Billy"

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Here are some detailed shots of what it looks like:

mag release:

Phase5Tactical 308

difference in Phase5Tac v. regular ar15 bolt catch

another by itself:

UBR extended:

Complete lower:

My dog Kimber wondering where her rifle is:

Everything I have so far: (and can't be an ar15 pic without toes)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 52
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top