Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2010 12:37:06 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has a Remington .30RAR??  I have not heard any discussion about it at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been wanting to buy an upper from DPMS but then I keep looking at the prices of a 7.62X39 build and I cant decide.  I love the concept but I just might hold out until more people work out the kinks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I just haven't really heard anything about it at all.  The 300BLK is the "new" thing now and is way easier to build than a 30RAR for sure.  Performance wise, the 30RAR is probably better for longer range, but the 300BLK seems pretty versatile so long as long range is not your game.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Bill Wilson has one and posted about it's performance over on the 6.8 forum. Apparently it's a great hunting round and can be loaded much hotter than the rem factory loads (kinda like the rem 6.8 SPC loads
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my .30RARs. Mostly shooting 11.5" suppressed SBRs. I think it's the best caliber for a hunting AR, it basically dupicates the old and proven 300 Savage in comparable barrel lengths and with the same bullet weight.

Highlights:

NO functional issues so far
Pet load is the 150gr Nosler Accubond over 37gr Benchmark which duplicates the ballistics of 20" 30-30 with a better bullet/BC and is "clean shooting" for suppressed use
It's super deadly on hogs, 55+ killed so far mostly at night with NV
Sucks that you can't buy primed or unprimed cases !!!!! What is Remington thinking?????

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Only 55+ hogs???  That's no test of a caliber's hunting prowess!  Come on man, you gotta at LEAST hit 100!!  HAHAHAHA!  Nice shooting.  Sounds like that 303RAR is a great caliber!  So do you form your own brass or just buy factory ammo and reload?  I agree though, not putting out brass for sale SUCKS!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Archived 30 RAR thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=504464

The last post in the thread was mine with some questions that never got answered so I'll try again.

Can you use standard .223 mags? If so, does it require a different follower or taking the rib out of them? If not, is there a 12 round mag available that would be about the size of a standard 30 (the other thread discussed a 4 round and 8 round that were similar in size to a 10 and 20 round 5.56 mag)? Is Remington the only current supplier for magazines?

What velocities does this cartridge get with lighter bullets like the 125gr Nosler BT or the 110gr or 130gr TSX?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Archived 30 RAR thread:

The last post in the thread was mine with some questions that never got answered so I'll try again.

Can you use standard .223 mags? If so, does it require a different follower or taking the rib out of them? If not, is there a 12 round mag available that would be about the size of a standard 30 (the other thread discussed a 4 round and 8 round that were similar in size to a 10 and 20 round 5.56 mag)? Is Remington the only current supplier for magazines?

What velocities does this cartridge get with lighter bullets like the 125gr Nosler BT or the 110gr or 130gr TSX?

No you can't use std mags, it takes a special single column feed design, mags are available from DPMS. Currently they offer 4 (size of a 10rd 5.56) and 8rd (size of a 20rd 5.56) capacity

As to velocity with any bullet weight, look up the 300 Savage in any reloading manual, you can expect the same velocity per bullet weight and bbl length.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only 55+ hogs???  That's no test of a caliber's hunting prowess!  Come on man, you gotta at LEAST hit 100!!  HAHAHAHA!  Nice shooting.  Sounds like that 303RAR is a great caliber!  So do you form your own brass or just buy factory ammo and reload?  I agree though, not putting out brass for sale SUCKS!!

Man I'm working on it, I've only been using it since late June this year....................I did an actual count of my records and it's 68 kills to date, largest 295 "weighed" pounds.

I'm just shooting up factory ammo and then reloading

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow!  You sure have been busy!  Would this be crop protection or just pure hunting fun?  WHat do you do with all the meat??
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Archived 30 RAR thread:

No you can't use std mags, it takes a special single column feed design, mags are available from DPMS. Currently they offer 4 (size of a 10rd 5.56) and 8rd (size of a 20rd 5.56) capacity

As to velocity with any bullet weight, look up the 300 Savage in any reloading manual, you can expect the same velocity per bullet weight and bbl length.

If the velocities for 300 Savage are an indicator this round really does get close to .308 ballistics.  The 300 Savage is only 100 fps slower than the 308 in most cases and with some bullets is about the same.

I think a 130gr TTSX going 2600 to 2800 fps from an AR would be hell on deer and hogs.

ETA:  Has Remington been asked about brass for this caliber?  If so, how did they respond?  I'm thinking it won't gain much popularity without opening the gates for handloaders.  It should also produce some interesting wildcats.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow!  You sure have been busy!  Would this be crop protection or just pure hunting fun?  WHat do you do with all the meat??

A combination of my hunting and clients at the ranch I was guiding. I also do some hog culling for neighbor farmers too. We salvage some of the sows, but usually feed the boars ot the coyotes and buzzards.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top