Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:33:26 AM EDT
So far my quest to find a method of free floating my RRA LAR-8 16" midlength carbine has turned up FEW options.

1.  Daniel Defense Lite 9.0 rail (SPECIAL VERSION for RRA LAR-8) - backordered from DD and RRA.  <- SHOCKING!  

2.  JP Enterprise JPHG-5A -  Looks like a good less expensive alternative and according the JP it is designed for the LAR-8.  

3.  I have seen a post or two about the Troy .308 two piece quad rail that requires the barrel nut to be cut and removed.  Since with this system you are not removing the Barrel nut at all but rather clamping to it the rail do you think this would work?  I have sent a pm to the guy who posted that he did it but no response.

So.  Anyone have any experience with the JP  JPHG-5A?  IS the barrel nut designed for the LAR-8?  Do I risk detonating my rifle and myself by installing it?

Any other safe options to FREE FLOAT this rifle?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done the conversion on my LAR 8 with Troy Industries 308 rail. It was a risk that i had to take.  No body else has done the conversion and when i called Troy Industries,  They were unsure.  I bought it figuring if it doesn't work, I'll return it.

It works great with no modification to the barrel nut.

You need an  AR15 armamnet tool to take the barral off the reciever and remove the delta ring, spring and e-clip. (if you don't want to take the barrel off your gun, Troy Industries suggested to cut off the delta ring, spring and e-clip; I chose to save my parts and it took 15 seconds to remove the gas block and use a wrench to remove the nut)  Using the orginal barral nut, reinstall to 80 foot pounds, install gas tube and new lo profile gas block. The only thing that i had to do was trim the ejector cover axle pin down by about 1/8 of an inch to create clearance for the rail.   I took the pin out and trimmed the side that goes in to the reciever. That way, once the gun is reassembled, you see the un trimmed side of the pin. Install the rail, tighten the allen screws and admire.  

Danial Defense requires a new nut and their stuff has been on back order for many months.  Plus, I am not to fond of the 6 allen head boltd that hold the rail on to the reciever.  There are not any other visable screws on the  LAR 8 besides the gas block clamp, and you get rid of that with the Troy package anyway.

I have not seen the third rail you talked about so i have no comments on it.  Go with the Troy package.  It is about $75 cheaper then Daniel Defense and they are in stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

2.  JP Enterprise JPHG-5A -  Looks like a good less expensive alternative and according the JP it is designed for the LAR-8.  

I looked it up and they are claiming that it will work.  i guess that use of the barral nut and their reciever extension will adjust for the different length reciever threads that the LAR 8 has campared to the AR10.

Is it less expensive?

It is $175 for the kit not including shipping ( website says out of stock but they are taking back orders),To  buy the top rail is another $75 (also out of stock),To buy the side and bottom rails is onther $40 each.  So, you'll need three to be symetrical.  $120. This is optional. and you are going to need a low profile gas black $45.

175.00                      kit
  75.00                      top rail
  45.00                     gas block
  40.00                      bottom rail ( did not include the two side rails)
+ 12.00                    Shipping
––––––––-
$347.00                    Total

I believe the Troy Industries kit would be less expensive ($335 shipped) and it is in stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#3]
The JP would be a good alternative considering its price.  I would not need all the extra rails.

I plan on mounting a bipod and thats it.  

So I am back to the $175 plus shipping.

The JP one is for MID length systems so no need to replace the gas block as it will sit outside the tubular forearm.

The Troy is a 12" version and requires the low-pro gas block for that reason.

They both should work but now the question is the Troy in stock with Troy?  They do not list the status of items on their web site.  I'll call them on Monday.

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i got mine from here.

Im ordered mine about two weeks ago. from what i understand, he had several in stock.  it came priorty mail and in 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I got an email from JP Enterprises today.  They say that the one they make will work just fine with the LAR-8.  

The bad news that I was told 5-8 months for delivery.  HOLY FUCKING SHIT!  For a FF tube!  I could maybe understand if it was for a new rifle, custom pistol or some other geewhizbang item but a FF tube and two barrel nuts!

Troy here I come!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
what brand is the rail?
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Thats cool.  Looks like it would be plenty light enough and offer a ton of cooling.  
That could be an option.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not sure about this spacer you talk about.  I know that rock river frowns on this.   Plus you picture shows a slight gap between the rail and the upper reciever.  

It looks cool but it's the same price as Troy Industries Rail and yet Troy Industries  are direct fit, no spacers needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
No FF rail yet.  But I did add some FAT handguards to it until I either get a Troy or DD.  I like them better than the skinny OEM ones.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Are those regular ar15 type middy handguards or special 7.62/.308 specific handguards?
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I compared the hand guards on the LAR 8 to a standard AR15 type hand guard and the LAR 8 in much larger in diameter than the standard AR15 hand guard.  I wish all this good stuff was interchangeable with the more common AR10 or even the Ar15
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top