Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2008 7:05:07 AM EDT
CDNN is selling a Cobb SCAR 30-06 "Aniversary-marked" edition with a 24" 1:10 Lothar-Walther barrel.  I'm set up for loading 30-06 so this gun interests me.  Does anyone have any experience with this gun, particularly in this caliber?  Is it a precision rifle?  With a good handload or match ammo, can it be sub-MOA?  How rough is it on brass?  

Experience... thoughts... comments... suggestions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
CDNN is selling a Cobb SCAR 30-06 "Aniversary-marked" edition with a 24" 1:10 Lothar-Walther barrel.  I'm set up for loading 30-06 so this gun interests me.  Does anyone have any experience with this gun, particularly in this caliber?  Is it a precision rifle?  With a good handload or match ammo, can it be sub-MOA?  How rough is it on brass?  

Experience... thoughts... comments... suggestions?

Thanks.

No experience, but saw the same thing and thought it would be a cool gun to have in .30-06.....unfortunately, I have no idea if it would be reliable, where you'd get mags (Cobb I'd assume), what the mags might cost, etc.

I'm curious to see if anyone here has one and can give a report.

Sean
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC it uses BAR mags.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC it uses BAR mags.

I beleive you are correct. Not sure if they are modified or not though
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have a link to the CDNN page? I cant seem to find the Cobb on their site...
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Their guns are in the downloadable catalog only.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Since Bushmaster bought Cobb, the only question you shoiuld ask yourself is who will support the rifle if it does need attention? BM? I do not see anything on their website concerning the MCR rifles except the 50 cal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Good point.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I purchased mine from CDNN over the summer.  When it arrived I was as impressed as Marshall at CDNN thought I'd be.  The gun case it arrived in is by far the nicest one I have.  The case comes with wheels which help a lot since the rifle alone is advertised to weight 13.5 lbs.  The two mags it came with are unaltered B.A.R. mags.  The only surprise to me was that the firearm does not provide any bolt hold open feature.  I have tested my MCR-300 for function using M2-Ball ammunition and it functions flawlessly.  I have not spent the time yet to accurracy test the firearm yet.  The bipod that comes with the package is short and I find it only useful from the bench.  As with any firearm that I like as much as this, it would be even better to have two of them.  I bought this item mainly because it shoots 30-06 which is my favorite cartrige and I like having something different.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have shot one of the prototypes and boy howdy what a gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
It is worth mentioning that there is very little perceived recoil when firing 30-06 out of this Cobb MCR-300.  It is the most comfortable to shoot 30-06 I've fired.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a brand new one at the Indy 1500 gun show over the weekend. What a gun. I thought they were asking 2900.00 and I thought it came with more stuff.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is an image of the MCR-300 NIB (stuffed animal not included)

http://members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/0626081926small.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a full profile image of the MCR-300

http://members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/0626082209asmall.jpg
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
does anyone know what size the muzzle is threaded?
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  The only surprise to me was that the firearm does not provide any bolt hold open feature

I really wanted one of the 308's that took hk mags and the lack of a BHO was a big factor in me not getting one

The other is that I am broke
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
if it uses bar mags it probably would not hold open didn't the BAR fire from an open bolt? ie no hold open tab on mag
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the one where you can change calibers all the way up to a 338 Lapua, right
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Do they have a website this rifle is found on?
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is the one where you can change calibers all the way up to a 338 Lapua, right

Yes, the 338 was a friggin beast BUT the muzzle device made it pleasant.

I do not know where that stands now that Bushmaster ownes them. I know soem 308 kits are outthere.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
They actually used to list 416 Rigby and 460 Weatherby
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
bushmaster replied to me to check back in december they are developing it now. maybe they want me to test it
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What all parts are interchangeable with ar ones? any idea if Bushamster plans on supporting the system?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey everybody,
    I have got one of those Cobb's 30.06 but it has the Leupold scope.  It is setup for long distance shooting.  I have been shooting with it.  I have shot it out to 2,000 yards with excellent results.  I have been hunting with it on wild hogs and have taken them at 300, 500, and 700 yards in the clearing.  It nailed them every time.  The rifle uses unmodified BAR magazines that have no bolt open feature.  I discovered this out when I got the rifle and was upset with this feature not being mentioned.  I investigated getting this done but it would be more trouble than it was worth.  I have about 10 magazines for this rifle.  It shoots like a .308.  However I have an MGI recoil reducing system in it and it kicks in between a .223 and .308.  Sorry for the long post but this rifle has been good to me and I love it very much.  

Cheers Mate!
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
KingWolf

Are all of your magazines from Cobb or are the unmodified BAR Magazines?

and have You had any problems with getting the First round to feed from any of Your Magazines?
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
tomCobb06,
    All of my magazines were bought from company in England  that had them in the orginial boxes and the waxed paper.  I have not had any feeding problems with my magazines.  Just keep them lubed and unloaded so as to releive tension on the springs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I spoke to someone at Bushmaster and they said to check back in late 2009.  They are planning on releasing the .308 and .338 first.  He said they did not know when for the 30-06.  

They have already produced Cobb's .50BMG carbine and are backordered already.  

Does anyone know what brand suppressor fits on the quick detach flash suppressor that comes on this rifle?
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
KingWolf

when You get a chance, would You please, Look at the bottom. of Your BAR nagazines and see what Brand they are. I have two types stock Number is the Same on both, 5564076 A  But the A is on it's side with point toward the 6

the second is 5564076    SLY and the SLY is also on it's side  the L is on the same line as the Stock #

the SLY magazines are the ones I am having trouble with.

And I have Yet to try the sideways A Magazines at the Range.

Thank You

TomCobb06

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Okey-dokey.  I'm officially broke.  I just bought one of these today.  I tried the CDNN website, called them up and they laughed saying they had been sold out for a while and didn't know where else I could get one.  Ended up purchasing one on Gunbroker.com from a gentleman who had three (yup, I said 3).  

I believe he plans on selling one more and keeping the last for himself.  He originally got them from CDNN a while ago.  If anyone would like his contact information I'd be happy to give it to you.  Seems like a nice fellow.  I'll confirm my recommendation when I receive the rifle.  

I've never been so excited to be broke.  Unfortunately, it's now destined to be a safe-queen since I have no money for an optic.  I guess I can at least break the barrel in at the range.  I don't need any sighting system for shoot 1, clean, repeat 15 times, shoot 2, clean, repeat 3 times, and shoot 5 and clean one time.  

That's going to be a long day.

I'm not real confident that Bushmaster will ever release the 30-06.  When I spoke to the rep he didn't sound like they were, at least for quite a while.  I think they are concentrating more on rifles that can go either civilian or military/contractor, hence the .50cal carbine they are doing and the planned .308/.338 MCR rifles (just an opinion).  And that's if they get around to it before any future evil-black-rifle legislation that I'm sure will be in the works.  

Consequently, anyone interested in my Savage .308 10FP in a Bell and Carlson Medallist stock, Nightforce rings/mount, Super Sniper 10X with killflash and flip-covers, and Harris bipod?  Probably going to sell it for about $1000, before shipping.  Priced it out and even with some dealer pricing it comes to over $1300, I think.  Only about 120 rounds though it and that was to break it in in the manner described above (never from the muzzle and with KG cleaning supplies) plus a few range days for grouping.  Shoots well under MOA.  Just a thought.  Also have a new set of RCBS competition .308 dies.  If anyone is interested, I'll email you when I put them on equipment exchange in a few days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Dreban. Why don't You move Your Nightforce rings/mount, Super Sniper 10X with killflash and flip-covers, to the Cobb Rifle you bought.

At least then You would have an Optic on Your New Rifle, Making it a useable Rifle!

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
TomCobb,

Thought about that, but I think I'd like to go with a variable power optic on this one for a bit further range.  Plus it will be easier to sell the Savage with the complete package, I think.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#32]
OH BABY!!!  Got it in today and it's a beaut.  Heavy SOB, but that's expected.  Case is really nice, too.  I'll replace the cheap-o foan with some of the replacement foam I keep for my Pelican cases.  Stocked up on blanks of instrument case foam from a reupholstery store that are the same as the ones from Pelican, but only for %10 of the cost.  Will take some pics and post them tonight, but they aren't any different than any of the others out there.  VERY tight fit when I broke it open to look at the bolt, which is nice.  Holy smokes, that bolt is a FREAKIN' MONSTER.  I'll include pics of it, too.  

Must....not...go......straight to range after work....

Must....not...buy.....expensive optic for it yet.  Must buy CMP 30-06 ammo before it's gone/taxed through the roof.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Dreban, the suppressor adaptor uses Johns Guns suppressor, thats what the flash hider is.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dreban, the suppressor adaptor uses Johns Guns suppressor, thats what the flash hider is.

Hope this helps

That's what I had heard and when I emailed them about it, they had no idea what I was talking about.  If that really is the case, boy am I sure glad that Cobb put a major suppressor manufacturers quick detach on my new rifle (with a grin).  I'm going to have to replace it with a YHM quick detach so I can use my Phantom on it.  I just hope I got the right thread on the end of it, because I already have the QD.

Guess I could sell the other one after I take it off.  Someone's got to own a Johns Guns suppressor.

Thanks for the info.  Was slack on getting the pics on last night.  spent the entire evening after work breaking it down, cleaning it and pasting some TW25-B on the internals.  Also found a new Saiga 12 at the local gun shop for a steal and impulsed bought it so I had to spend some time de-gooing it and lubing it properly.  Will get the pics on tonight.

Ok.  Here's the pics.  LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BOLT CARRIER!!!  Not sure what it's made of, but it's fairly unique looking.  Almost like case color.

Spoke to someone at Bushmaster and apparently they are releasing the .308 and .338 versions this year.  When they do, the proprietary bolt carrier, charging handle and firing pin for my Cobb 30-06 will be the same as the Bushmaster .308 version.  So I don't have to worry about replacement parts.  I was also told that there is significant interest in the 30-06 and it should follow the .308 and .338.  I guess some folks are sitting on these Cobbs as an investment, similar to the original Stoners, but that's not my plan.  This baby is putting lead down range.  

That Saiga is a fun little piece, too.

Range reports to follow, but unsure as to when, especially seeing as how I have no optics, glass, iron or otherwise.  I have a pair of Troy BUIS in FDE that I was saving for the .40cal Rock River Arms AR carbine that was supposed to be forthcoming this last year (still is on it's way, I"m told), so I guess I could at least put those on for the time being so I could hit something.  Also read in the most recent Shotgun News that the 6X NCStar optic wasn't that bad for a $20 optic.  Hate to put something like that on the Cobb.  Kinda like putting granny-panties on Kim Kardashian.  But it would give me the ability to aim it until better glass was obtained.
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, got it to the range and spent the entire afternoon breaking in the barrel.  Unfortunately, still no optics or BUIS so I just shot it in the general direction of the targets.  Not exactly what I was planning on, but at least the barrel is officially broke in.  

BAR mags were mostly good.  A few had some play/wiggle room up and down after they snapped in which effected feeding.  It's ok.  They are military surplus from God knows how many years ago.  I'll keep the ones that aren't perfect for parts.

Shoots great and very little perceived recoil.  Ate the Greek M2 ball like it was candy.  

Again, when i finally get an optic on it I'll put out a report on accuracy.  

OH, so I'm enjoying the fact that I now have a rifle that is, essentially, a prototype of which only 100 were made.  I'm expecting never to see one again.  The first day I go to the range, I look down 6 seats and there's a guy shooting the exact same rifle.  What are the odds?  Made me chuckle a bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The MCR 300/100 year 30.06 is a very nice rifle.  I have one with a Horus Vision 3-12x50 scope on it.  The rifle was purchased from CDNN back when they had that blowout sale.  This is actually the second Cobb MCR 300 from CDNN as the first one failed at only 16 rounds.  The cotter pin that retains the firing pin broke and got jammed between the bolt carrier and receiver.  After a lot of work the carrier came free but the cotter pin left a nasty gouge inside the receiver.  The rifle was sent back to CDNN, who promptly replaced it with another.  CDNN's customer support is excellent!  So, this new Cobb made it to about 60 rounds before it met with the same cotter pin fate as the first.   However there was very little damage to the receiver this time.  Cobb eventually corrected the problem with this second rifle under warranty; which is apparently a design flaw with the original bolt carrier.  The replacement carrier is of a different design and is now hard chrome plated.  I strongly recommend contacting Cobb/Bushmaster about the bolt carrier before you encounter the broken cotter pin problem.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I finally got out to the range today to test the new bolt carrier group from Cobb.  After 40 rounds everything is looking very good with no marks whatsoever on the cotter pin.

For those interested, here is a picture of the new BCG group from Cobb.  A standard (Young NM) BCG from my 6.8 SPC is in the foreground for comparison.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/wdelack/PDR_0147.JPG

-P3
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Wish I had the cash when CDNN had them. Have the cash now but they are now $5000 on GB :(
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They actually used to list 416 Rigby and 460 Weatherby

Now that would be nuts...
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]
2000 yards with a 30-06

Right

Put your boots on the shit is getting deep>>>>
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top