Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2006 2:21:15 PM EDT
This board rocks, Richard and I worked a deal and so I will have one once I get him the money and UPS does their job.

I am still waiting for Alexander Arms ro respond to my email and depending on what configuration they are doing now I may still get on their waiting list.

Thanks for all the good replies and I will definately try the old GI mags I have with this round.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Jim, it's been discontinued by Alexander Arms, but you could go to their website and call them to confirm.

John

===========
6.5 Grendel: Soul of an AR10; Body of an AR15
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd check with the original maker AA to see if they even still have the tooling for it. It so, it should be fairly easy for them to run out one more. That said, there probably ass deep in 6.5 Grendel work so....

Second option would be just have one custom built. I'm sure Marty would be more then happy to throw one together for you.

But to get the ball rolling would require some work on you rpart first off. Call Alexander Arms, see if they can do one. If not, get ahold of some other custom rifle makers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm trading emails with Alexander now, the first response was it would be an extented wait but no time line, no price and no configuration.

I am waiting for the next reply from them, maybe they can still do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one,  and wouldn't sell it,  but there are two problems:

1.  There is no really good magazine for it.  You have to experiment with various aftermarket 20 rounders and you eventually get a couple of magazines that reliably feed 17-18 rounds.

2.  Although is it more accurate than a 5.45x39 AK,  it is just barely so.  The problem has to be the ammunition,  because the quality of Alexander Arms products are really top-notch.  Just taking it out of the box,  it was nicer than any AR upper I had ever purchased (except my JP CTR-02).  I will admit I have not tried a wide variety of 5.45 ammo with it.

I would call Alexander Arms - it would not surprise me if they had a couple left or could do one for you - when I bought mine,  I had to wait for the same thing that is holding up my 6.5 Grendel - bolts.  My understanding is that they did a final large run of 5.45 bolts and if they still have some they can probably get a barrel made - but when the bolts are gone there will be no more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm trading emails with Alexander now, the first response was it would be an extented wait but no time line, no price and no configuration.

I am waiting for the next reply from them, maybe they can still do it.

I would imagine your going to take a backseat to the hunreds if not thousands of Grendel orders they have in the works. Might have to be patient for a 5.45 upper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well,  I hadn't tried the "tilting" followers - all my dozens of AR mags have the magpul anti-tilt follower or the green follower.  I'll look through my boxes of old AR parts and try that next week at the range.  Thanks!

I have tried some USA mags but get the same as the 20 rounders - I can only load 18 rounds or so - I guess by "good mag" I meant "good 30 round mag" - I have 3-4 mags that I only use with the weapon that are reliable up to 18 or so.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool! Hope your happy with it.

Thats one thing I nejoy about the AR platform. Not just the rifle, but the people as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top