Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2010 2:00:29 PM EDT
How do y'all align your low pro blocks on your barrels?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Self align with the gas tube attached and on the receiver. The gas tube does all the aligning.  A can of compressed air confirms the alignment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Self align with the gas tube attached and on on the receiver. The gas tube does all the aligning.  A can of compressed air confirms the alignment.

I was planning to plug one side of the barrel and pumping air threw it....looks like you confirmed my idea:-). Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm using a yhm clamp on low pro block so the dimple jig  won't work for me:-(

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Then use a calibrated eyeball.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then use a calibrated eyeball.

Need to send my eyes out for recalibrating lol.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I am hoping that some company (ADCO I hope you are listening and can help us out) will make a shim (washer) the same thickness of the handguard cap to help take the guessing out of proper gas port alignment with gas blocks! It is frustrating when people take their new builds to the range to find out they have built a single shot (pushed gas block up aginst shoulder)! LOL. Wish I still had my shop to make these! Been thinking about this for quite some time! M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't need to plug the barrel.  There's a clear hissing noise and no blow back out of the gas tube when you hit the spot with the compressed air.  Compressed air can tubes fit nicely inside gas tubes.

I use a feeler gauges between the shoulder and the gas block to ensure no movement when tightening the set screws or clamping.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't need to plug the barrel.  There's a clear hissing noise and no blow back out of the gas tube when you hit the spot with the compressed air.  Compressed air can tubes fit nicely inside gas tubes.

I use a feeler gauges between the shoulder and the gas block to ensure no movement when tightening the set screws or clamping.

Still think the shim would be a whole lot easier and faster! I use to manufacture before the first AWB and the shim idea would be alot faster! I also have used the compressed air to align but their are still times that misalignment occurs due to the air flowing even when alignment is not 100%. This shim also will help when installing flip up front sights or railed blocks so you can spend the time making sure the sight/rail is level and not needing more hands to hold feeler gauges! Just my .02.
M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the air method but use a rubber tube attached to the gas tube and blow through it. Gas block holes are purposely oversized so they are forgiving.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Daniel Defense puts a dimple on the underside of their barrels so that you line up the circular hole on the underside of the gas block with the dimple in the barrel and you are lined up. Being that many folks change out the FSB for low profile GBs it was very ingenious and take the guess work out of the equation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#12]
My Daniel Defense barrel came totally virgin. I had ADCO pin a PRI block on there for me.  cost $110 including the gasblock and shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top