Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:54:06 PM EDT
Just wanted to share my latest builds...

I had a Noveske Afghan (with pinned Surefire flashhider) converted to fit my MRP. The other build is my 5.7 cut down and shroud added to make OAL 16.1" so I can still use my SWR can.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice sticks
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
...I am so jealous...that Noveske MRP barrel setup is awesome!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Share with us the details on the conversion.  I have an MRP and would be interested in how this is performed.  I thought that you needed a proprietary barrel extension, which isn't available from LMT?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.. let us know how it shoots!

Quoted:
Share with us the details on the conversion.  I have an MRP and would be interested in how this is performed.  I thought that you needed a proprietary barrel extension, which isn't available from LMT?

Thanks!

+1... who did the work and where'd they get the barrel ext.?!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Yea I'd like the details as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll post some other pics  and more info tonight.

The conversion to the barrel does not require a new barrel extension. Adding the MRP barrel extension would not work with a standard barrel. Pretty much any barrel can be converted to fit the MRP. I first had a CMMG lightweight Mid-length barrel done that functions flawless.

The Afghan barrel pictured with the Switchblock used the gas tube that came with it. A standard gas tube will work whether its Carbine, Mid, or Rfifle length.

A friend of mine and I came up with the idea, he is a machinist and in WA. If it's cool with the Moderator I will post a link to his website.

The Afghan barrel shot a vey nice group with Black Hills 77rg between 1/2 to 1 MOA.

I have also had a Noveske 300 fireball barrel converted I'll take a pic of. It too functioned perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]
OMG  That is simply outstanding and most certainly one of the most custom items Ive seen.

That piece of awesomeness takes a brass pair, vast amt. of confidence in both the MRP and noveske barrel and some dollar bills I am sure to pull off.

PLEASE feed the badness thread with some AAR's on it if you have the chance....very, very interested
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty much any barrel can be converted to fit the MRP.

So how much money are you talking about ?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interested in a 11.5 SS bbl for my MRP :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Very interesting
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I should have clarified...any ar-15 barrel can be converted.

website dbmg-llc

Pictured is a Noveske 16" 300 Fireball barrel next to a LMT 16" MRP barrel then installed.

...this is one of the 5 shot groups the Afghan barrel shot with BH 77gr at 100yds...I think it can tighten up if I try harder.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

website dbmg-llc

Pictured is a Noveske 16" 300 Fireball barrel next to a LMT 16" MRP barrel then installed.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/P1000824.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/P1000826.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/P1000828.jpg

...this is one of the 5 shot groups the Afghan barrel shot with BH 77gr at 100yds...I think it can tighten up if I try harder.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/2010-09-07201928.jpg

THAT IS SICK......  great group...just need 5 more holes in it

what kind Torque wrench thingy is that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the torque wrench at REI of all places.

Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza Torque Wrench

It wasn't cheap but for it's size and simplicity I've been very happy with it....other than its in Nm not in/lbs!!!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty interesting... I have been very interested in the MRP for quite some time, but the current LMT specs for the 6.8 SPC barrels kind of turned me away.

Being able to do the conversion on a barrel with better specs for the 6.8, could make this a more interesting option.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey EoPoint, I know a lot of us really appreciate this post.  I had no idea this was possible.  Is it correct to say that your Noveske Afghan (mid gas model) with the clamp model switchblock fit without modifying the gas block location.  Just want to make sure that if I was to drop some bills on their 14.5" mid gas switchblock barrel it will work with the CQB MRP rail.  Also, what made you chose the clamp on model switchblock instead of the pinned model.  Again, man I really appreciate the post.

Jason
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
As The_Accuser stated, I didn't know that this was possible either.  Thanks for the very informative post!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:49:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Where are you getting the straight gas tubes from?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#19]
This means GREAT THINGS for the 6.8 crowd.  Now you can put a SPC II chambered barrel in your MRP.  
LMT makes their 6.8 barrels with an out of date chamber and out of date twist rate.  Now you can put
a White Oak, Noveske or any other 6.8 SPC II chambered and properly twisted barrel in your MRP.

HUGE NEWS for anyone with an MRP who wants to move on to better things than LMT offers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This means GREAT THINGS for the 6.8 crowd.  Now you can put a SPC II chambered barrel in your MRP.  
LMT makes their 6.8 barrels with an out of date chamber and out of date twist rate.  Now you can put
a White Oak, Noveske or any other 6.8 SPC II chambered and properly twisted barrel in your MRP.

HUGE NEWS for anyone with an MRP who wants to move on to better things than LMT offers.

+10000 ... This kicks ass... thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently $150.

Pretty cool. I wonder if this would work and ever be offered for the MWS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently $150.

I just left a message for them asking them to look into it... I just cant decide which barrel to buy and send first!!!  Finally!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Options are nice, however I have always been happy with the performance of my LMT barrels, even my 6.8's.  However, I can see where the switchblock would be nice for certain applications.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
did you send in bbl/gas block/gas tube?

where do you get the straight gas tubes?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent !
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LMT will sell extra gas tubes if you need them. i have one or two of the carbine ones in the shop if you need one i'll throw it in the mail to you.

this is excellent information on the barrel options. a custom 6.8 is calling my name.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMT will sell extra gas tubes if you need them. i have one or two of the carbine ones in the shop if you need one i'll throw it in the mail to you.

this is excellent information on the barrel options. a custom 6.8 is calling my name.

cool! how much for the tube
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep in mind you do not need to use straight gas tubes. You can use Pistol, Carbine, Mid, Intermediate, Rifle gas tubes that are "bent".

The CQB version of the MRP is the same as a 9" Rail forend.

This is a GG&G Modular Gas Blcok installed on a standard LMT 16" barrel. the gas tube is a midlength.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Keep in mind you do not need to use straight gas tubes. You can use Pistol, Carbine, Mid, Intermediate, Rifle gas tubes that are "bent".

The CQB version of the MRP is the same as a 9" Rail forend.

This is a GG&G Modular Gas Blcok installed on a standard LMT 16" barrel. the gas tube is a midlength.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/2010-09-09182016.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/2010-09-09182030.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Eopoint/mrp/2010-09-09182114.jpg

Show this installed in your MRP... pretty please
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently $150.

I've got 2 on order and am willing to be a guinea pig when they get here if the guy is up for it......

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys keep us posted on this.
6.8 SBR here I come!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool! how much for the tube

i don't have the price at the moment (i'm at home), i'll get back to you tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#36]
It just so happens that I have a 14.5" Noveske SB laying around and now I know what I can do with it..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Options are nice, however I have always been happy with the performance of my LMT barrels, even my 6.8's.  However, I can see where the switchblock would be nice for certain applications.

Cheers

Thanks for stealing my reply pal.....I was going to say that I will not be moving on from Rock SS barrels unless I get a Kreiger or a colt 6520 barrel done this method as MRP barrels are exceptional pieces of kit and every model that exists has a certain inherit accuracy in them from the maker, to the design and then lastly how they are captured by the chassis.

If this turns out to be 100% effective route to go I will be getting my beloved 6520 pencil LW barrel done and then rip off Edwins Krieger recce barrel  I will have many more Rock SS barrels before that ever happens as a .260 rem Rock SS, 18" Rock SS 5R .308 and then at least one more SS Rock MRP barrel cut down from the 18" or 16" to 14.5" (rock afghan)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Thanks for stealing my reply pal.....I was going to say that I will not be moving on from Rock SS barrels unless I get a Kreiger or a colt 6520 barrel done this method as MRP barrels are exceptional pieces of kit and every model that exists has a certain inherit accuracy in them from the maker, to the design and then lastly how they are captured by the chassis.

If this turns out to be 100% effective route to go I will be getting my beloved 6520 pencil LW barrel done and then rip off Edwins Krieger recce barrel  I will have many more Rock SS barrels before that ever happens as a .260 rem Rock SS, 18" Rock SS 5R .308 and then at least one more SS Rock MRP barrel cut down from the 18" or 16" to 14.5" (rock afghan)

I'd personally rather have a 16" middie MRP barrel turned down to LW profile than a carbine length 6520 barrel modified to work in the MRP.  I can see the 6.8 folks that are hung up on the chambering and twist rate getting excited about barrel options, however I don't see any need to stick a Noveske barrel into an MRP...and yes I have owned and currently own Noveske and think his gear is top notch. This is not intended to knock the OP b/c I love to tinker and modify equipment.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I expect my 6.8 barrel any day now, just going to have it reamed to SPCII, I'm fine with the 1 n 10. Since all of my ammo is the Tactical Load (TL) I spoke with LMT and they advised that if I'm shooting that, I need to ream it-with the understanding that I "fully" own it.

You know in the end in regards to other than the profiles offered, LMT may decide to do some light weights down the road, which would be cool for us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm not knocking the LMT barrels by any means...mine are great.  I think this thread is just a bonus to those of us with MRP's or folks that are on the fence with wanting one.  Before this thread the MRP haters would mostly knock it for proprietary barrels...that may be all out the window now...  Again thanks EoPoint, I have bookmarked you buddy's website and definitely see a Noveske 14.5" or 16" switchblock barrel on my MRP wishlist.

Jason
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

website dbmg-llc

how does that 300 fireball shoot? if it isnt too much trouble could i see some groups?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Mid gas Noveske barrels with permanent switch blocks and strait tubes look like ideal candidates for this treatment
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I expect my 6.8 barrel any day now, just going to have it reamed to SPCII, I'm fine with the 1 n 10. Since all of my ammo is the Tactical Load (TL) I spoke with LMT and they advised that if I'm shooting that, I need to ream it-with the understanding that I "fully" own it.

You know in the end in regards to other than the profiles offered, LMT may decide to do some light weights down the road, which would be cool for us.

I haven't had any issues with my 16" and 12.5" CL 6.8spc MRP barrels; although one of my buddy's is gonna ream the chambers whenever possible.  

Truth is I never shoot them due to ammo pricing...oh and I also have a SCAR CQC now (that was for Trident).

Cheers

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't had any issues with my 16" and 12.5" CL 6.8spc MRP barrels; although one of my buddy's is gonna ream the chambers whenever possible.  

Truth is I never shoot them due to ammo pricing...oh and I also have a SCAR CQC now (that was for Trident).

Cheers

With the SPC chamber and TL's, you stand the chance of having some problems, although I'm not a pretty man-I dang sure don't want to be an ugly one.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

With the SPC chamber and TL's, you stand the chance of having some problems, although I'm not a pretty man-I dang sure don't want to be an ugly one.

Well said Mark!

Cheers

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Hehe...in total honesty I absolutely love your scar cqc and that is no doubt the one I would buy(not that I could).....that said, that is perhaps the finest scar specimen that a civilian owns to date...be it a scar l or scar h.  

I missed the 6.8 boat completely....cannot really understand why it has become relatively popular....might see it go extinct due to the massive AR .308 boom we are experiencing.  I could never justify paying almost as much for the 6.8 loads as a .308 load.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I missed the 6.8 boat completely....cannot really understand why it has become relatively popular....might see it go extinct due to the massive AR .308 boom we are experiencing.  I could never justify paying almost as much for the 6.8 loads as a .308 load.

Oh no, Trident, you did it now!    If this were to appear in some threads I'd bet you could feeeeeel the heat radiating...  

jk
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#48]
 I know, I know.....but I really did think first and type twice as I considered my current firing location in this subforum that has far less traffic than the others
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Hehe...in total honest I absolutely love your scar cqc and that is no doubt the one I would buy(not that I could).....that said, that is perhaps the finest scar specimen that a civilian owns to date...be it a scar l or scar h.  

Unfortunately 6.8 spc has not caught on enough to bring down the price of ammo.  I know that I would rather shoot my 6.8 mrp all day over my AR-10, which I no longer own.  The idea of having the superior ballistics of 6.8 cartrdige and still being able to maintain the commonality of the 5.56 AR platform is great. That said, I can see why people are leary to get into 6.8 due to ammo pricing; hence the beauty of the MRP that only requires investing in barrel, bolt and mags.  

Sorry for derailing the thread.  Carry on.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Unfortunately 6.8 spc has not caught on enough to bring down the price of ammo.  I know that I would rather shoot my 6.8 mrp all day over my AR-10, which I no longer own.  The idea of having the superior ballistics of 6.8 cartrdige and still being able to maintain the commonality of the 5.56 AR platform is great. That said, I can see why people are leary to get into 6.8 due to ammo pricing; hence the beauty of the MRP that only requires investing in barrel, bolt and mags.  

Sorry for derailing the thread.  Carry on.

Cheers

Further derail momentarily - The price of the ammo AND the availability of it (I know, they're related).  Point is, it's nice to know that pretty much where ever you go you are likely to find some 5.56 or .223 ammo.  If the day ever comes where both of these are not really factors for 6.8, I will be looking closely at 6.8 MRP barrels.  I'll make this thread even further controversial....I would be looking for 6.8 in....PISTON!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top