Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 6/6/2009 10:34:54 AM EDT

Don't know if this has been brought up here before.

This is someone else's picture edited by me, but I did receive 3 LMT BCGs last year direct from LMT and they looked exactly like this.  MIM marks dead center of the key and in addition the inside of the gas keys were NOT chrome lined.  This was in 12/2008 and were new manufacture for the time.  My best guess is that maybe LMT is cutting corners to increase manufacturing volume during a period of high demand.

As you can see the key is broken in the area where it has been staked, I don't know what this means but it is obvious the metal is more brittle than their older gas keys or a Colt gas key where the metal will displace smoothly with no break.

Now I'll admit I'm not technically educated enough to know if this will really make any difference in function and I know people say "MIM is stronger than anything if properly executed" but this kind of thing just makes me think twice about buying a BCG from LMT.  I think for the time being I will stick with Colt and BCM.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I emailed Mr. Swanson about this.  I own an LMT but I'm not a fan of MIM at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have really taken a liking to the Bravo BCG.  Tough to get one now, But the best of the bunch. As close to "Bullet Proof" as you can get.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine looks exactly like that. Bad?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got home from work and checked my LMT rifle.  Mine is pre-election mania by about 3 months.  Mine is normal.

Here is a picture

Here is a picture of the BCG carrier key from my father's LMT post-election.  Certainly appears to be mim and is cracked at the staking.  He is gonna have to call LMT on that one!

Here is a picture

That is pretty shoddy in my opinion.
Gonna make my next 2 rifles Colts.  Better chance of getting good quality I hope.

Derek.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like some of the parkerizing flaked where the staking was done. If the metal was brittle, it would have cracked. I don't see anything to be excited about.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like some of the parkerizing flaked where the staking was done. If the metal was brittle, it would have cracked. I don't see anything to be excited about.

It is cracked at the stakes so it is brittle.  I can put a blade down into the crack.  This is not parkerizing flaking at all.  The gas key is an important area and the quality is lacking on my father's rifle.  His bolt carrier should be exchanged for one in spec.  I can see the cracks plainly in my picture.  You can't
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The break looks pretty clear cut to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just got home from work and checked my LMT rifle.  Mine is pre-election mania by about 3 months.  Mine is normal.

Here is a picture
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/derekcb26/LMTBCGP90XPics004.jpg

Here is a picture of the BCG carrier key from my father's LMT post-election.  Certainly appears to be mim and is cracked at the staking.  He is gonna have to call LMT on that one!

Here is a picture
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/derekcb26/LMTBCGP90XPics006.jpg
That is pretty shoddy in my opinion.
Gonna make my next 2 rifles Colts.  Better chance of getting good quality I hope.

The cracks are very apparent in that bottom picture.  Weird.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an LMT BCG in the mail today from Bravo Company. I need to check mine to see if its cracked like the one in the photo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine I just got from Bravo looks fine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple like that.  I do not believe they keys are chrome lined.  I have e-mailed LMT.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
gun damage waitingto happen
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a couple like that.  I do not believe they keys are chrome lined.  I have e-mailed LMT.  

I've got one on order from LMT, I'm curious as to what they have to say
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#14]
What is (a) MIM????
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is (a) MIM????

Metal Injection Molding
Quoted:

Let us know what they say. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I emailed Mr. Swanson about this.  I own an LMT but I'm not a fan of MIM at all.

Tag for the response.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I've heard reports of the same mark being found on BCM carriers as well...  I would be willing to bet money that this is a single batch issue, and LMT and BCM were both forced to use gas keys from the same source because those were the only ones that could be acquired at the time.  My friends new LMT does not have the possible MIM mark on it, and it was bought NIB less than a month ago...

According to Grant of G&R Tactical, LMT is using a black coating inside their Gas Key.  Perhaps that is why it looks like it is not chrome lined...

ETA: corrected...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for the response.

+1

I checked mine ,that was ordered from BCM on December after the "O" event and it have the possible MIM mark.
I hope that the one that  I ordered from BCM this last week does not have this.

ETA:
Well after further inspection mine does have the cracks on the stacking,as you can see in this pic:

Just for reference , two properly stacked BCG's:as you can see there are no cracks on the stacking( Top one is a BCM ,bottom one a pre election chaos and more than 2000 rds. LMT from my MRP:

At least I am confident that if there is something wrong with these BCG's LMT will take care of the problem ,they have always stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've heard reports of the same mark being found on BCM carriers as well...  I would be willing to bet money that this is a single batch issue, and LMT and BCM were both forced to use gas keys from the same source because those were the only ones that could be acquired at the time.  My friends new LMT does not have the possible MIM mark on it, and it was bought NIB less than a month ago...

According to Grant of G&R Tactical, LMT is using a black coating inside their Gas Key.  Perhaps that is why it looks like it is not chrome lined...

I have a brand new BCM BCG still in the bag. It is a recent purchase maybe a month ago, it has the BCM logo on the carrier.
It does NOT look like the one pictured above with the so-called MIM marks.
I also have one from maybe 8 months ago that also does not have "MIM" marks.

Consider this a report to the contrary.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a recently purchased LMT semi-carrier with the cracked staking, un-chromed gas key, and MIM marks as well.  It's a spare, so eventually, maybe I'll get a new gas-key for it and replace it and the bolts when I've got some time and feel like tinkering.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a brand new BCM BCG still in the bag. It is a recent purchase maybe a month ago, it has the BCM logo on the carrier.
It does NOT look like the one pictured above with the so-called MIM marks.
I also have one from maybe 8 months ago that also does not have "MIM" marks.

Consider this a report to the contrary.

Bill

This is mostly just a tag for further information but obviously just as all LMT BCGs don't have the marking, not all BCM will have the markings either. More importantly, we don't even know if this is an issue. The staking marks/cracks do look like an issue.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe I'm not seeing the issue, but why would the crack prevent the staking job from doing what it is supposed to do?  The only purpose of staking to displace some metal onto the screw so as to create enough friction to prevent the screw from backing out.  If sufficient metal is contacting the screw, its adequate...

I'm not allowed to link over to "that other site", but when this topic was brought up over there, the consensus from the big players was that the staking in this first pic was adequate...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm not seeing the issue, but why would the crack prevent the staking job from doing what it is supposed to do?  The only purpose of staking to displace some metal onto the screw so as to create enough friction to prevent the screw from backing out.  If sufficient metal is contacting the screw, its adequate...

I'm not allowed to link over to "that other site", but when this topic was brought up over there, the consensus from the big players was that the staking in this first pic was adequate...

The issue that I see is that if the material is breaking from the stake already, what is stopping it from cracking further. Also, the bigger issue is that if the material can't handle the staking how strong can it really be?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue that I see is that if the material is breaking from the stake already, what is stopping it from cracking further. Also, the bigger issue is that if the material can't handle the staking how strong can it really be?

All I'm sayin is that people who know more than I do think this is a non-issue.

I think people need to suspend judgement until we hear from LMT.  They have been making changes to their bolt design, including changing the interior coating of the gaskey.  And this goes back before the panic and election.  Until we hear word from them, LMT should be given benefit of the doubt IMO...

BTW, I found a BCG with the possible MIM mark that predates the panic, as well as another one that is a standard forged chromelined gas key that has the black interior coating and chrome lining evident.  I will try and get pics tomorrow...

eta: These were both bought before the panic

Forged Key

Other Key

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"That other site" is not a credible source of info, all of the postings are heavily influenced and controlled by Grant who owns the site and always talks and defends his own product line.
Grant also owns G&R tactical and is a high volume LMT dealer. (You put 2 and 2 together here......)

I call BS on the "Black inner coating" because it looks just like bare metal to me and scraping it with a paperclip it also feels like bare park.

Although there are several knowledgeable industry people who post there none of them replied in the referenced thread.
The "big players" that you mentioned in the thread are Grant and gotm4, both of which are involved in the ownership of that website.

Also notice how the thread was conveniently closed before the discussion could be taken further.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"That other site" is not a credible source of info, all of the postings are heavily influenced and controlled by Grant who owns the site and always talks and defends his own product line.
Grant also owns G&R tactical and is a high volume LMT dealer. (You put 2 and 2 together here......)

I call BS on the "Black inner coating" because it looks just like bare metal to me and scraping it with a paperclip it also feels like bare park.

Although there are several knowledgeable industry people who post there none of them replied in the referenced thread.
The "big players" that you mentioned in the thread are Grant and gotm4, both of which are involved in the ownership of that website.

Also notice how the thread was conveniently closed before the discussion could be taken further.

Why don't we wait for LMT to say whether it is bare park or not?  Several people have put in emails.  Until then it is just rumor spreading...

Other than that, I have always respected gotM4's opinion.  I have seen nothing that would indicate his credibility is to be questioned.  Until LMT answers some of our emails, I will give gotM4 and LMT the benefit of the doubt...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#28]
tag for LMT's response.

FYI I have 2 LMT carriers.

1) F/A carrier and "pre-craziness"... stake job looks GREAT.
2) S/A carrier and "post-craziness"... stake job closely resembles those pictured - but not nearly as bad (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me).
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
tag for LMT's response.

2) S/A carrier and "post-craziness"... stake job closely resembles those pictured - but not nearly as bad (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me).

FWIW I've got 4 LMT carriers.

1 S/A carrier - "pre-craziness"... stake job looks GREAT.
3 S/A carriers - "post-craziness"... stake job closely resembles those pictured.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
tag for LMT's response.

FWIW I've got 4 LMT carriers.

1 S/A carrier - "pre-craziness"... stake job looks GREAT.
3 S/A carriers - "post-craziness"... stake job closely resembles those pictured.

If it goes that long when I get home on Thursday I will check all of mine, all 5 pre-election. 3 were bought just before and I will see what they look like. I agree that we should wait to see LMTs response, and until there is a catostrophic failure, I really don't care either way. LMT has more than earned every penny I have spent with them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Hope LMT isn't  trying to cut corners on their BCGs with going with the MIM parts.  I need to get one for my LMT upper.
Hiopefully LMT will clarify the matter.  I wouldn't doubt it since their new tactical latch looks to be MIM also.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#33]
BCM™ stock just went up another notch
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#34]
"You will need to send in the carriers. It is not policy to send out
replacement parts for repairs.  One other thing, we don't chrome the
inside of our gas keys any more, we use a different coating.  Please
reference rga # xxxx on your return.  Also include a copy of your
receipt.

Best regards,
"

I received this e-mail from LMT,  I have ordered a couple Armalite keys from DSG

I would order BCM keys, but they are out of stock.  Bushmaster charges me tax (AZ) and high shipping.

edit to add: DSG is awesome,  I just didn't want to replace these.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
receipt.

Best regards,
"

I received this e-mail from LMT,  I have ordered a couple Armalite keys from DSG

I would order BCM keys, but they are out of stock.  Bushmaster charges me tax (AZ) and high shipping.

But this doesn't answer the question as I still haven't seen anything that needed repair. The question we are trying to answer is if the manufacturing process is different and if so what it is.......

ETA: One thing that reply did answer was that they are using a "different" coating on the inside of the gas keys which substantiates what was said earlier in this thread and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
receipt.

Best regards,
"

But this doesn't answer the question as I still haven't seen anything that needed repair. The question we are trying to answer is if the manufacturing process is different and if so what it is.......

ETA: One thing that reply did answer was that they are using a "different" coating on the inside of the gas keys which substantiates what was said earlier in this thread and elsewhere.

and, why did they change the process?  what was wrong with the way they WERE doing it?
e.g. did the change to cut costs or fix a problem?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I just received the LMT BCG that I ordered from Bravo Company last week and it does have the MIM marks and cracked stacking  

It would be nice to hear more info about this matter from LMT.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
receipt.

Best regards,
"

and, why did they change the process?  what was wrong with the way they WERE doing it?

Cost cutting.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I just sent another email about this after I found the MIM mark and cracked staking on my father's bolt carrier.  I asked for replacement with a forged unit that is chrome lined.  I also asked that future BCG's be made like they used to be.  

I like my LMT but this shows (to me) a serious downgrade in quality and I wonder where else quality is being cut.  Will update when I get a response.

Derek.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I really like my LMT but looks like their going down the same road as a lot of companies.  They build a quality product and get a good reputation and then they think they can cut corners/cost.  Hope they wise up before they taint their reputation!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I really like my LMT but looks like their going down the same road as a lot of companies.  They build a quality product and get a good reputation and then they think they can cut corners/cost.  Hope they wise up before they taint their reputation!

You mean like going from H buffers and M16 carriers to semi carriers and carbine buffers in their complete rifles?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like going from H buffers and M16 carriers to semi carriers and carbine buffers in their complete rifles?

I don't think LMT ever used H buffers in complete rifles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
receipt.

Best regards,
"

I'm betting these changes are a result of their experimenting with their "enhanced bolt" design.  Now arguably the "enhanced bolt" was a solution for a non-existent problem to begin with.

I also just put in a cordial email expressing my dissatisfaction with these changes (in the most polite business like way possible).  If LMT gets enough customer feedback about this we may be able to talk some sense into them...
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I don't think a semi-carrier costs any less than a F/A carrier for a manufacturer.  So that would hardly be considered a cost cutting measure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I don't think a semi-carrier costs any less than a F/A carrier for a manufacturer.  So that would hardly be considered a cost cutting measure.

I thought they used to come with H buffers?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Depending on the coating they are using, it could be superior to Chrome.  

Functionally, the chrome lining in the key probably isn't super critical...but it would be nice to have.  

As far as the staking...buy a MOACKS.  The Pocket version is cheap and they are great to have around. I bought one and have touched up the staking on a lot of ARs.  It pays for itself.

It costs less than we usually spend on ammo for one trip to the range...  Get the tool.  http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php#

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I just received a BCM M-16 bolt assembly today.  The carrier key is not MIM and the staking is perfect with no cracks.  This is by far the finest bolt with no corner cutting.  I was even surprised to have a BCM laser engraved logo on the bolt carrier which is visible from the ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I don't remember them ever coming with one, but thats not to say they didn't before I became aware of LMT.  FWIW as of the first version of jwises AR-15 review they did not have H Buffers.  Also, as of the first version of Rob_S's "the Chart" they did not have H buffers...
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I don't remember them ever coming with one, but thats not to say they didn't before I became aware of LMT.  FWIW as of the first version of jwises AR-15 review they did not have H Buffers.  Also, as of the first version of Rob_S's "the Chart" they did not have H buffers...

I stand corrected.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top