Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2009 9:43:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for some ladders that will fit a YHM 7" rail without it turning into an bad fitting nightmare.
Magpul? Tango Down? I heard Surefire makes the best but haven't been able to find them so if anyone knows
I'd appreciate it.

Tnx
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have magpul ladders on the top and bottom of my knights rails and the magpul panels on the sides. I like them but have never tryed the surefire ones. Good luck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul "ladder" rail covers are the only ladder type covers I'm aware of.  If you meant "rail covers", Tagodowns are nice but too heavy IMO, Magpul XTs and XTMs are nice too. KA makes some but I have no experience with them.  I prefer the ladder covers just because they ad the least amount of weight.  As far as a "fitting" nightmare, if you mean trimming, the ladder cover are very easy to trim, the Tangodowns are a PITA, the XTs are pretty easy, and the XTMs do not need to be trimmed because they come in small sections.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
When using ladder style rail covers, I prefer the Surefire ladder rail covers.  They are cheaper, softer, and easier to install than the Magpul.  You can purchase a 3-pack for around $15.  

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=Z70

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-m4-rail-covers-set-of-3-z70.html

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
i like the magpul ones
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My Daniel Defense Omega rails came with some ladder rail covers, but I'm not sure if they are the ones who made them. They seem to be just like my Magpul ones.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My Daniel Defense Omega rails came with some ladder rail covers, but I'm not sure if they are the ones who made them. They seem to be just like my Magpul ones.

They are ergo brand. They say so on the reverse side.

I have both ergo and magpul ladders and they seem to be pretty similar though I think the ergo's install just a little easier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both ergo and magpul ladders and they seem to be pretty similar though I think the ergo's install just a little easier.

I have 3 of the ergos that came with my Omega, and 1 magpul piece. I really don't see a difference in how hard they are to install. Really, they're not hard at all to install.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the Surefires.  Easier to install and a bit smaller profile.  I also like the way they look better.  Downside is  slightly less protection as they sit more "in" the rail as opposed to "on" it.  You can get them from Calvin at Brightflashlights.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember reading on here that they are one and the same .
If my memory is correct Ergo makes all of the ladders and every one else just re badges them .

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When using ladder style rail covers, I prefer the Surefire ladder rail covers.  They are cheaper, softer, and easier to install than the Magpul.  You can purchase a 3-pack for around $15.  

Bingo, Thanks.
Until now I looked everywhere including Surefire's website but couldn't find them. Right now I'm using XTRs but with the YH
rail it's like picking up a big cannister. I'm going to swap them out for the ladders and put the XTRs on a LaRue thinner profile FF.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Surefires are available from B and H Photo of all places. I like them because of their slightly sticky composition and they fill the inside of the rail and add no bulk like so many other brands.
Do a search at B and H for Surefire Z70.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had Ergo's on my YHM 2 pc but found the combo to wide for proper grip, My solution was to saw off about 6" of the rail protusions along the sides of the rails where my hand grips while firing and carring the weapon at the ready. I then wrapped that section with aluminum foil for a heat sheild covered by a layer of quality duck tape and Ap/Armaflex 1/8" thick by 2" self-adhering insulation tape for the outer layer. I now have a confortable non-slip grip with rails still available for and aft of the covered section. This method also reduced weight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like magpul....cake walk to install...look great, can't really tell you have covers on there since they are the same general shape as the rail
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The DD ones are a bitch to get on and off, the are very stiff and I have to get something under the edge and pry it up just to get them started to come off, I would like to try the surefire ladder covers if they are softer plus the DD are like $12 each instead of $15 for 3.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Surefire are the best I've used.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo, Thanks.
Until now I looked everywhere including Surefire's website but couldn't find them. Right now I'm using XTRs but with the YH
rail it's like picking up a big cannister. I'm going to swap them out for the ladders and put the XTRs on a LaRue thinner profile FF.

I use the Surefires on my YHM rail for the same reason.  It's large just by itself.  Adding anything other than the Surefires makes it feel uncomfortably large.  That is also the reason I'm a big fan of the Surefire rail systems.  It's rock solid and doesn't add hardly any extra girth.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Surefire it is
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The DD ones are a bitch to get on and off, the are very stiff and I have to get something under the edge and pry it up just to get them started to come off, I would like to try the surefire ladder covers if they are softer plus the DD are like $12 each instead of $15 for 3.

Thats the 'nightmare' scenario I want to avoid as I have enough misfires in my parts box.

Thanks everyone. I need to pay my dues tomorrow and get a membership to ARF.com. The research and consumer feedback saves more then enough to pay for it. Also, I'll be 'bona fide'.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Magpul
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Magpul

it's my understanding that ergo makes all ladders EXCEPT the surefires.   thats why the surefires sit differently and are a different material. i have both surefire and ergo. i highly prefer the surefire. only drawback is i believe surefire only makes them in black.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Do the surefires come in Foliage Green?  I noticed the Sampson ones on optics planet do.  They just don't come in a pack.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I found them hard at first too, until I used a trick I use for installing wire loom.  Its tantamount to the reverse peeling of a banana.  ...If that makes any sense.  Anyways, once you get that first slot, the rest of it goes on super easy.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure who made them, but the ones that came with my DD rail are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
After comparing the Surefire picture to the Magpul picture, I just wanted to point out the the surefire covers are about 1/4 shorter than the magpul. No big deal, but it was something that I noticed.  They still seem to be a great deal @ 3 for $15 @ optics planet.  I am going to pick some up and give them a try.

ETA - B & H Photo has these for free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Ergo supplies Daniel Defense, and almost EVERYBODY else. I have heard the Surefire ones are unique.

PursuitSS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top