Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2008 9:06:12 PM EDT
I am an individual user of VLTOR products and I have no affiliation with, or business arrangement with them.  I simply have found a product, made by Americans, which suits my needs.  Your needs may vary from mine, but I have found this handguard (hereafter "HG")  to be versatile and exceptionally well made, so I thought other ARFcommers might benefit from a review of the mid length model, which has just been released.  I also want to apologize in advance to VLTOR if I make any mistakes in quoting specifications of the product.

I owned a CASV-EL, and liked it so much, that I decided to buy another one for my  Ko-Tonics upper.  However, at the time I ordered the KT 68, VLTOR had not yet released their mid length model.  They were nice enough to reply to my emails regarding prototypes upon which they were working, and once finished, they sent me one of the first units off the line.  With such gracious customer care, I thought it only fitting to give them a free "plug" whilst at the same time providing all of you with some valuable info.  In short, everybody wins

So, let's get started:

The VLTOR CASV free-float handguard is best known in its "EL" configuration, and was originally designed for a Navy contract.  The handguard was installed on M4 carbines and SBR's, and was intended to retrofit, accommodating the standard issue front sight tower.  However, it was eventually sold to civilians once the contract ended.  It has been described as being easy to install, lightweight, versatile and modular, and possessing a monolithic rail.  They are made mostly of aluminum, and I believe there may be some other metals used in the threads and the screws.  The mid-length model is not just a longer version, though it does posses similarities in construction, materials and general appearance.  As any good company would, VLTOR upgraded the entire platform to take into account trends in AR-15 tactical accessories, optical options and of course gas-system length.

New features include:

- sling apertures for quick detach studs

- dedicated detachable rail for FUFS.  This was built into the space of the cutout seen on the EL which would have left the gas tube exposed.  The Mid length model is 0.6 inches longer, with no cut out for the front sight tower.

- rail mounting options which include 3, 6 and 9 o'clock and 2 lower 45 degree positions

Installation :  Let me just say that when I began researching 4-rails and free-floaters, I cringed at the thought of cutting the delta ring off, and even more difficult installations just stopped me from reading further.  IMO, the CASV is the easiest HG on the planet to install, and that includes even easier than plastic HG's!  Try one and you will see what I mean.  If you need to get to your gas tube, or barrel or a piston conversion, this HG will allow you to access it with minimal hassle.

1)  Make sure the weapon is unloaded and chamber cleared

2) Remove the existing HG

3) After removal from the package, disassemble the CASV by pressing the tabs on the fore end of the unit and letting the lower half swing free.  Then simply slide the hinge-tabs out.  Remove the rail clamp and screws.

4)  Apply rearward pressure to the delta ring, exposing the barrel nut teeth.  Then, drop the top HG assembly onto the barrel nut allowing the rail section to mate to the flat top of  the receiver.  There is a channel, similar to that found on plastic guards, which interfaces with the barrel nut teeth.  Proper installation is achieved when the delta ring snaps over the rear portion of the HG and the rail is flush with the receiver's flat top rail.

5) Next, install the rear mounting clamp.  Simply pass the screws through the holes in the rail and the slots in the picatinny rial of the receiver, then slide the clamp onto the screws and tighten with the supplied Hex wrench.  Do not over-tighten (whatever that means).  This locks the HG onto the receiver rail.

6)  Now, we are ready to attach the bottom section.   The lower half has two "hook" shaped hinges aft, which serve to pivot onto the studs in the upper half in its aft section.  Simply slide the hinges up into the upper half until the studs are engaged and rotate upward until the tabs are nearly engaged at the fore end of the HG.

7)   At this point, you will have to reach forward and pinch the two tabs located on the fore end of the lower half and push them up into the recess in the top half until they snap and lock.

Believe it or not that's it!  You are done.  Here's the installed HG with my Eotech sitting atop it.  Note that the monolithic rail is continuous and allows for "bridging the gap" in mounting an optic.  This expands your options.

Mounting options and modularity:

Now I will show you just a very few of the mounting options you'll have with the CASV's modular rails.  Obviously I won't show them all, because the combinations are almost limitless, and up to the user's imagination, but for most of us, rails serve two or three   purposes.

1) a weapon mounted light.  Of course, this also includes visible and IR lasers, most of which are mounted either 1o'clock or on the top rail if using IR laser and helmet mounted monocular NVD.   My most important happens to be an IR illuminator for night vision use, and this is shown in the 1 o'clock position including the mounting and the use of the short rail.  The short rail allows me to place my hand on the guard without the rail edge cutting me up, as the remaining surface is smooth.  Personally speaking, I don't want a rail where I don't need a rail.

The above photo shows the light in 1 o'clock position, then Eotech on the top rail forward enough to get my PVS-14 in behind it, and the side opposite the light with no rail at all.  This smooth side is where my hand must rest, and I don't want a rail there.  The two holes to which I am pointing are the threads that allow for mounting the FUFS rail.  It, too is a short rail and it (but not the FUFS) is included in the package.  

2)  Vertical foregrip or bipod:  These simply mount to a rail that would attach to the underside of the bottom half of the CASV.  One would either use the 4 or 6 inch rail.

3) sling attachments:  You won't necessarily need a rail for this any more.  The CASV-M comes with apertures, both on the port and starboard side of the HG, for QD sling studs such as pictured.  You can also use any of the threads for screw-in sling attachments in any of the mounting areas for umpteen attachment points.  I love this feature.

The kit contains the following mounting rails:

(1) 6-inch rail

(2) 4-inch rails

(2) 2-inch rails

(11) flathead Hex drive screws

(2) Hex wrenches

(1) Very cool VLTOR sticker

Here's my Ko-Tonics superlight 6.8 SPC upper on a Colt lower with PVS-14, 3X magnifier, Eotech 552D1, Da Torch Variable beam focus IR illuminator (purchased from our very own Victor) , VLTOR CASV-M handguard, Magpul CTR stock, Ergo grip and Vortex 3068 flash-hider.  Notice that the monolithic rail allows for the NVD to be mounted behind the Eotech (even a 552) sufficient to get the 3X magnifier on.  This rig was made possible by the CASV HG and its versatile rail systems.  The HG gives my hand a purchase on the smooth portion without interference from the rails or the light.  The sling is out of the way, and when carried, the mounting is flawless, even when the gun has to be shouldered instantly.  This is what I use today.

Yes, you can do an awful lot with these units.  They free-float the barrel, they allow for access to the barrel even after installation, can be used with pistons, are lightweight, versatile and modular, allowing for both a KISS configuration or the full-blown kitchen sink tactical accessory approach.

The installation is the easiest of any HG on the market today, bar none, and the company that makes the product is 100% American.   You might want to consider this HG if you own a mid-length, or if you are in the market for a RRA 5.56 mid-length, Ko-Tonics 6.8 SPC, or any of the other fine mid-length uppers any time soon.  I have introduced Tim Hicks to the idea of making a "Hi-Tech-Rancher" version of the KT 68, which would come from his shop with the VLTOR CASV-M, Vortex 3068, and VLTOR low-profile gas block.  I can only hope that you guys will goad him into making you a few of these models (and ask for it by this name, too)

VLTOR Weapon Systems:
3735 North Romero Road
Tuscon, AZ 85705
www.VLTOR.com

Thanks for taking the time to read this review.  I hope you enjoy it.

HTR
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics.  I am curious you say most of the construction is aluminum, does that mean that the hand guard area is all aluminum?  How is the hand guard component attached to the the part of the rail that mounts to the flat top upper?  Do you know the weights for the carbine and rifle lengths?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The HG is all aluminum, yes.  There are Struts that support the top half of the unit, but I am not sure if these are also AL.  I believe that they are steel.  The rail is riveted to the HG, and then it extends back as one contiguous piece.   There is no seam in the monolithic rail from its front to back.

I hesitated with the weights because I wasn't 100% sure, but IIRC, the CASV-EL is 13.6 ozs.  There is no "rifle" length version.  The one I wrote up is the mid-length version, and I believe that the weight is 14 ozs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
In response to a question in another thread, here's a picture of the struts that support the top half of the unit.  these can be dremel-modified to fit around the ARES piston conversion if desired.  The operation is quite straightforward.

Link Posted: 1/17/2008 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice write up and pics HTR. Thanks for your effort. I'm hoping to find a dealer who stocks the CASV-M in FDE very soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking at getting the CASV-EL but have a question.  I'm not real concerned about cowitnessing (actually, I really don't give a damn), but in the event of a malfunction I'd like to be able to still sight in without removing my Bushnell Holosight.  Is this possible or would I need a quick detach for the Holosight in the event of "oh shit"?
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Since the rail is raised .475", you will likely need a QD mount for the holosight.  That is, if it is the same height as the Eotech.

Since the Aimpoint and Eotech are so reliable, one of these is very unlikely to ever leave you in that position.  I have had my Eo for 5 years now and I have never had a failure in the field.  The reticle blinks when the battery reaches 25%, so you can simply swap them before you get into any kind of stressful situation.

The Aimpoint batteries NEVER go dead.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you very much for the info!

Would it be possible for you to show the "FUFS rail" mounted?  

I assume it's lower than the monolithic rail to allow the front and rear sights to work together.

I also would assume that, using the FUFS rail, one could install this over a carbine gas system with a low profile gas block???

Thanks again for going to all the effort...  I am having a difficult time resisting the urge to sell SOMETHING and try one.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thank you very much for the info!

Would it be possible for you to show the "FUFS rail" mounted?  

I assume it's lower than the monolithic rail to allow the front and rear sights to work together.

I also would assume that, using the FUFS rail, one could install this over a carbine gas system with a low profile gas block???

Thanks again for going to all the effort...  I am having a difficult time resisting the urge to sell SOMETHING and try one.  

First, you're welcome

1) I have a picture of the FUFS but it is too small to see the detail necessary, so I will call VLTOR tomorrow and get them to email me a better picture of the FUFS.

2) You assumed correctly, that the FUFS "rail" is flat on its base, and thus rides flat on the HG.  The base of the sight lines up level with the top of the remaining rail.

3) Interestingly, the CASV-M can be installed over short barrels, say 7.5 to 10 inches and with a low profile gas block, the barrel will ride just inside the handguard opening.  Good example is the Noveske diplomat.  I will get a picture of this, too

You can install the M over a carbine length gas system, but you would not want to install the EL over a middie, because then the fore 1/3 of the gas tube would be exposed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Interestingly, the CASV-M can be installed over short barrels, say 7.5 to 10 inches and with a low profile gas block, the barrel will ride just inside the handguard opening. Good example is the Noveske diplomat. I will get a picture of this, too

I can help with that one...  

OBVIOUSLY NOT MINE, but it may well be the best looking SBR I've ever seen.

It's already posted in another CASV thread, but if Military Moron wants it down for some reason, I'll take it down by golly!

Just so I'm clear... Is this "FUFS rail" a picatinny rail that will accept ANY FUFS, or is it proprietary?

The one on MM's shorty doesn't look like a folder, and it looks proprietary.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's already posted in another CASV thread, but if Military Moron wants it down for some reason, I'll take it down by golly!

Just so I'm clear... Is this "FUFS rail" a picatinny rail that will accept ANY FUFS, or is it proprietary?

no problem with posting the pic.
the flip up front sight is proprietary to the midlength CASV - it installs in place of the short rail in the front space  - all the pics and details are in my writeup (username and password are both 'mm' to view larger pics):
www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html#casvmg
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interestingly, the CASV-M can be installed over short barrels, say 7.5 to 10 inches and with a low profile gas block, the barrel will ride just inside the handguard opening. Good example is the Noveske diplomat. I will get a picture of this, too

I can help with that one...  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mcasv9.jpg

OBVIOUSLY NOT MINE, but it may well be the best looking SBR I've ever seen.

Thank you for posting that pic.  I had a few off the Military Moron site, too, but I didn't want to post them without permission.  After all, my write up is totally original (also amateur), and I wanted to post only pics that I myself had taken.

That is the picture to which I was referring.  The FUFS is proprietary to the HG, and it is a folder.  MM's write up is damn good, too.    I read it and wished I had the resources to do stuff like that for a living....

And, yes, that probably is the coolest looking SBR I've ever seen!
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#15]
hi-tech-rancher, that was a great article you wrote.  Have you had any problems with the lower portion coming off.  Some Navy guys I know try and get their weapons issued with a KAC Ras instead of the Vltor because they have to zip ty the lower rail on for reliability reasons.  I have really wanted one of these rails for my personal weapons, but talking with these guys has made me think twice.  I'm assuming that you are not in the military and do not train like you are.  I'm in the Army, but I don't use my personal guns like my duty guns.  So, if you are a recreational shooter like myself (with my guns), have you had any problems?  These guys I talked to are putting some major stress on their weapons and reliability is paramount in our line of work, so when they say they "suck" I'm thinking I may not want one but my intended use is much different.  In a plinking or civilian style range use situation do you think there would be a problem?  

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hi-tech-rancher, that was a great article you wrote.  Have you had any problems with the lower portion coming off.  Some Navy guys I know try and get their weapons issued with a KAC Ras instead of the Vltor because they have to zip ty the lower rail on for reliability reasons.  I have really wanted one of these rails for my personal weapons, but talking with these guys has made me think twice.  I'm assuming that you are not in the military and do not train like you are.  I'm in the Army, but I don't use my personal guns like my duty guns.  So, if you are a recreational shooter like myself (with my guns), have you had any problems?  These guys I talked to are putting some major stress on their weapons and reliability is paramount in our line of work, so when they say they "suck" I'm thinking I may not want one but my intended use is much different.  In a plinking or civilian style range use situation do you think there would be a problem?  

Thanks.  

GIb,

You are correct that I am not active military, so I don't train with the rifle in this way.  However, I do put my guns through quite a lot of rigorous field use.  I do not go to a "range" per se, as I usually shoot at the ranch and I hunt hogs on foot alot.  Pigs are big, mean, nasty beasts and that can get pretty hairy at times.  You might even call it "combat" when they charge you and intend to inflict damage upon you .  It has happened to me more than once.

I have never had the bottom half of my CASV HG's come loose.  I do not use a vertical foregrip, and I can see where this might exert a tremendous amount of force on the lower half, but even with lights and occasionally a small bipod hanging off the rifle, this thing has always been rock solid.

If you are going to use the CASV for recreational shooting, hunting and anything in between, I cannot imagine that you would have a problem.  I have also found VLTOR to be a very good company, and I am sure that you would get a refund or replacement if you had any problem whatsoever.  You might even want to pass along the specific problems that were mentioned by your navy buddies, so that VLTOR can address them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MM's write up is damn good, too.    I read it and wished I had the resources to do stuff like that for a living....

nice writeup and pics as well, HTR.
LOL - i don't do it for a living (actually i don't earn a dime for writing reviews), and i'm not sure i'd want to. once you become a paid writer instead of hobbyist, it's hard to maintain the perception of unbias.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
MM,
Does the T-1 co-witness with the BUIS on the CASV-M?  Looks like they might.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#19]
giff,
yes, it does. the T-1 is a bit low in its supplied mount but you can still co-witness. the LaRue low T-1 mount works better, which is what i have now on my CASV-M.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried adapting the CASV-M with the ARES piston conversion kit yet?  I know someone out there is just dying to get out the dremel and start grinding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Are there any AR15.com vendors selling these yet?  (Did a search first of course)
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
As for the handguards, no, I don't think so, but you could order one directly from VLTOR.

I heard that ARES is working on the mid length piston conversion kit right now, and as usual, we'll probably hear about it right after the SHOT show.

ETA:  the CASV-M can be mounted on carbine length gas or piston guns, so if course at this time, one would have to use the ARES carbine kit.  But how cool would that Noveske diplomat be with an ARES in it??
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know where I can get a Vltor CASV-M rail system in green with the attached front sight post? I have emailed Vltor multiple times and called but with no avail so I am looking for other purchase options. Thanks -Out here
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know where I can get a Vltor CASV-M rail system in green with the attached front sight post? I have emailed Vltor multiple times and called but with no avail so I am looking for other purchase options. Thanks -Out here
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are there any AR15.com vendors selling these yet?  (Did a search first of course)

MSTN I believe
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome, just what I've been wanting for my Sabre ever since I encountered the CASV - had no idea these were in the works until this thread!
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
If someone made a flip up front sight of the right height that you could mount your rear BUIS up on the rail, we would have none of these worries about co-witnessing with an EOTech!  Everything would just be moved up 0.475"-front sight, rear sight, EOTech.    

No problems.  

Anyone listening?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If someone made a flip up front sight of the right height that you could mount your rear BUIS up on the rail, we would have none of these worries about co-witnessing with an EOTech!  Everything would just be moved up 0.475"-front sight, rear sight, EOTech.    

No problems.  

Anyone listening?

It's not all that complicated...  As mentioned in this thread, the CASV already comes with a short piece of picatinny that attaches in place of the front sight.  You just mount any "forearm rail mount" front sight you choose on that piece.

No problems.

For the rear, you could either try one of several different brands of mini-risers (YHM, Ameetec, etc.) to fill that very small space behind the rail to mount your BUIS, or just mount it directly onto the CASV rail.  It would only be slightly forward, and give you what you want without having to wait for someone else to make something for you.

Of course, VLTOR could step up and make that rear piece themselves.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool!  Thanks for the info.

Now I have to find someone to take my FS off and replace it with a gas block and I am all set.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't find any dealers that have the CASV-M. Has it been released for distribution yet?
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Try contacting VLTOR directly after next week. See following response to my email.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your interest in our products.  To answer your questions, we do have the CASV-M in stock.  We are currently going through a change in computer systems, so we will not be shipping anything until next week.  

If you have any questions I would be happy to assist you.  Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Nicole Evanoff
Executive Assistant
Vltor Weapon Systems
3735 N. Romero Road
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-408-1944  Direct
520-293-8807  Fax
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered my CASV-M in black (in-stock, BUY NOW!).  Extremely nice people.
Forgot to say that I called them.  Did I already say BUY NOW before the word spreads?  BUY NOW.

PS.  No, I don't work for VLTOR.  I just like supporting good people selling, what appears to be, a good product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top