Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2007 8:32:30 PM EDT
Anybody out there with this configuration...? I've got a VLTOR upper receiver and would like to get a Larue handguard, but have read in a few places that this config will not work...due to the MUR upper being to "beefy". I've read that since the upper is a little bigger, the anti-rotation part will not work. But, I've also read that people have made it work...

Here's my build, thus far... I received my Noveske 16.1 barrel today, now I just need a handguard to attach to the MUR.

Ideas, pics, suggestions...?

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pictures...  

Did you have to do any modifications to the anti-rotation part...? I've read where people were having to file down one side of the part to make it fit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
you need to mill the anti rotation clip whatever a bit to fit it, but works.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]

I just cut off the keeper portion here....

This side lacks the keeper....

This side retains it....
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/pokethru/LaRue-Vltormod.jpg
I just cut off the keeper portion here....

i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/pokethru/RECCE011safe.jpg
This side lacks the keeper....

i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/pokethru/RECCE063.jpg
This side retains it....

Thanks for the pictures of the handguard, this helps me figure out what needs to be done. Are you happy with handguard after doing the modification...?  Any issues...?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
One minor issue for me during installation...

The screw is right up against the receiver causing misalignment and wasn't allowing it to thread into the spacer.
Instead of installing the screw last, I "started" it into the spacer earlier in the installation, proceded with the rest of the install, and tightened it at the end.

If your doing a gas block under the handguard, the instructions they provide will not suit you, but do help.

The steps I took were as follow:
1. Install barrel and barrel nut
2. Install keeper and start screw into spacer
3. Install gas block and tube
4. Install handguard
5. Tighten screw from step 2

ETA-I'm completly satisfied with the end result
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One minor issue for me during installation...

The screw is right up against the receiver causing misalignment and wasn't allowing it to thread into the spacer.
Instead of installing the screw last, I "started" it into the spacer earlier in the installation, proceded with the rest of the install, and tightened it at the end.

If your doing a gas block under the handguard, the instructions they provide will not suit you, but do help.

The steps I took were as follow:
1. Install barrel and barrel nut
2. Install keeper and start screw into spacer
3. Install gas block and tube
4. Install handguard
5. Tighten screw from step 2

ETA-I'm completly satisfied with the end result

Thanks again...    and Thanks Wes...  

I wonder if this would work... Just take the piece and file down the marked area (see pic below)... kinda custom fit. Or is the MUR just to wide for that to work.

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same thought as you and that is how I started to modify it. Problem is you have to grind it down flat to the same thickness as the center portion.
After 30 minutes of grinding on it with a Dremel, I realized I wasn't going to get it flat and "sharp" enough in the corner of the milled area without looking like crap.

ETA: But, I have heard other members attempt this with success
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.auctionadvisory.com/73r1.JPG

www.auctionadvisory.com/73l1.JPG

thanegrooms - I'm probably one of the only people who's not all that thrilled with the added swivel lug on the newer LaRue rails. Part of the reason is because I love KAC rail panels. Do your KAC rail panels lock onto the LaRue rails in the position that you have them in? (not sure if LaRue added the KAC cut ahead of the swivel lug?)

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanegrooms - I'm probably one of the only people who's not all that thrilled with the added swivel lug on the newer LaRue rails. Part of the reason is because I love KAC rail panels. Do your KAC rail panels lock onto the LaRue rails in the position that you have them in? (not sure if LaRue added the KAC cut ahead of the swivel lug?)

Thanks

Yes the panels lock. I also use a swivel lug... just shave a small 1/8" divot out with a knife for the lug to fit.  It doesn't swivel 360, but it works.

I think I am going to put a CQD sling loop further up the rail, since that is a better sling lock-up position for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I just jig the keepers up on the mill and use a carbide end mill to trim off the portion that interferes. I have done a few like this and it works great, maybe not as fast as cutting one side off but retains both ears and looks more balanced imo. A file would work as well, but would probably take awhile

These are the only pics I have saved..

LaRue keeper locked down to mill table

Keeper base-coated after milling, ready for gas tube and forend

Finished

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
when i installed it on the MUR, i cut off the right side of the keeper, retaining the left side. the keeper prevents the lockring from rotating, and the handguard loosening up on the barrel nut, and will work whether it's on the left or right. however, retaining the left side of the keeper prevents the whole assembly/barrel nut from rotating loose.
the right side of the keeper doesn't prevent the barrel nut from loosening.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Yes the panels lock. I also use a swivel lug... just shave a small 1/8" divot out with a knife for the lug to fit.  It doesn't swivel 360, but it works.

I think I am going to put a CQD sling loop further up the rail, since that is a better sling lock-up position for me.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I just fit mine up today. It took about 15 min on the dremel and was not bad at all for me. I used a cut off wheel and a grinding stone. Seems to work fine. I am going to refinish it and I will be done. I took pics but dial up makes uploading and posting a nightmare.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I made this simple milling fixture for modifying LaRue keepers:

ar15barrels.com/tech/larue-mur.jpg

Thanks everyone for the pics and info... I'm going with the Larue and will attempt the modification.  When I order the handguard I may ask for a couple of anti-rotation parts, in case of a screw up...  

It doesn't look like that much needs to be taken off. I'm sure it will take a while, but I'll just use a file to take off the metal that needs to go. I don't have any type of professional milling tool machine, so I'll have to make due. I'll just clamp down the piece and hope for the best.

Although...  Randall(AR15barrels), would you be willing to do the mod if I send you the part...? That is, if you already have some sort of template for making the cut...

For a fee of course.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I was able to use a file and a lot of elbow grease to be able to fit mine. I cleaned it up with super fine sand paper, and just hit it with some Duracoat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would you be willing to do the mod if I send you the part...? That is, if you already have some sort of template for making the cut...

For a fee of course.  

$15 plus return shipping.

I'm going to order the handguard right now...

I'll let you know when it arrives.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I love LaRue rails, but for this particular reason I used a Daniel Defense M4 rail and it also came out as nice, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would you be willing to do the mod if I send you the part...? That is, if you already have some sort of template for making the cut...

For a fee of course.  

$15 plus return shipping.

PM sent...
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
here's an update...

Thanks Randall!  you did a excellent job on the larue keeper... it fit perfect up against the VLTOR receiver. I really appreciate what you did. I received the part back from you Friday afternoon and I put the upper together Friday night.

Here's the finished result.

you can see the whole process of my build here, the upper build is on page 2:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=333483&page=1
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top