Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:58:04 PM EDT
Anyone know what happened to SOCOMMFG they made the T6160 Bilit Diamond Lowers?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They did a new run out of Fortal aluminum that is closer to 7075T6 specs. Out of buisness.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the owner recently pleaded guilty to a Federal felony and is no longer allowed to produce firearms (lowers).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
There goes my "lifetime warranty"
Your better off with another lower anyway, the only cool thing about my Diamond was the "jack screw", so I could tighten the lower to upper reciever fit and the cool looks. The trigger adjustments were a joke, it is built like a tank though.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah......I never got the trigger adjustment to work either..... But it's built like a tank.....I use it on my Beowulf....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Brownells still has them in their 2006 catalog.  You could call for availibility.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two of them. Brownells only had the red ones left the last time I checked. The thing I like about them is the fact that there are no roll pins. I hate %&#$*# % roll pins.  I also like the fact they are machined from solid T6&7 blocks they are beefy. The only thing I don't like about them is they will not take a stock CMAG I had to "adapt" my CMAG for use with mine. I also put a two stage McCormic flat trigger on ane and had to "adapt" the trigger to fit. It was too long and would stick after pulled so I filed a little off the bottom. I went to check their site the other day and it was gone.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]

I believe the owner recently pleaded guilty to a Federal felony and is no longer allowed to produce firearms (lowers).

Interesting. I actually talked to Earnest about this sometime last year, around the time the whole deal was gearing up to go to trial.  He didn't seem to think it was going to be anything his lawyer(s) couldn't take care of, but apparently not.  I wonder if this forces him to close down his Class III shop in North Augusta.  I mean, is he no longer a manufacturer, or can he not sell firearms at all?  

I can't remember what the whole thing was about, but it had something to do with some type of prototype upper he was building/developing.  IIRC, he'd sent a prototype in to the ATF, and that's where it all went down hill.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
A portion of the trial transcript is out. It pretty much details how it all went down.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Any link to the transcript?  I'd like to read it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Check your IM. Guy on thread on subguns is sending it if you request it. It took me over an hour to read it and it is only one persons questioning by both sides. I think it was 242 pages. I learned a lot human nature from reading it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
So Erny sent a prototype upper to the ATF and now he's up shit creek. All I can do is shake my head.  What is with the ATF? Every time I read something appalling about the ATF and think it can't get worse it does. Those guys are out of controll.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So Erny sent a prototype upper to the ATF and now he's up shit creek. All I can do is shake my head.  What is with the ATF? Every time I read something appalling about the ATF and think it can't get worse it does. Those guys are out of controll.

Now, I honestly don't know the whole story, and my memory on the whole thing is sketchy at best.  But, I do remember him saying it had something to do with an upper he was developing.  I wish I could remember what it was for!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Just wondering what the attraction to these billet lowers are?  

It seems to me that you're paying more for lower quality 6160 when when forged 7075T6 is availble for less.

I guess if you like the looks better I can understand but I'd rather pay less for the better material...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag, how about a link we all can see?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It seems to me that you're paying more for lower quality 6160 when when forged 7075T6 is availble for less.

I guess if you like the looks better I can understand but I'd rather pay less for the better material...

I mispoke on my first post and was corrected on the second post. I belive thay are / were machined 7075T6 and I have two. I am planning to eventually use them on a beowulf setup and a .338 lapua setup. If you ever get the chance to check one out in person they are very well designed, they dont use roll pins, they have a jacking screw, they are heavy duty in all the critical / historicly thin areas of a normal cast or forged lower and the well markings are machined in not stamped which we all know stamping extrudes the metal and causes stress fractures. I think IMHO they are a better product. The only draw back is the mag well is cut differently and to use a C-Mag you have to buy the M249 feed clip kit to use your Ar-15 / M16 C-Mag.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't believe internet summaries of what happened. It was not that simple.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't believe internet summaries of what happened. It was not that simple.

I was just somerizing my interpratation of what I had read in this post. This wan't intended to be a in-depth chain of events as an explanation too whom ever happened upon this thread. But I would be interested in any information you may have on this subject.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone wants a copy of the transcript, email me and I will send you a copy.  I'm not sure who's to blame, but the transcript do explain a little.  The one thing it did show me is that some of the ATF agents charged with upholding firearms laws know very little about actual firearms!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]

I mispoke on my first post and was corrected on the second post. I belive thay are / were machined 7075T6 and I have two

I was told 6061T6 on the older ones. The new run is supposed to be Fortal aluminum that is close to 7075T6 in specs.
the new ones I was told begin at 1000 serial number and up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Couldn't you make the same argument for the krink flash hiders (that don't hide flash, I could care less how loud my 10" entry gun is as long as I have plugs in), what about AR's in general; unless you are military or LEO is there really a use for them? It all comes down to what people like and how they like to personalize their guns, no more, no less.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Your better off with another lower anyway, the only cool thing about my Diamond was the "jack screw", so I could tighten the lower to upper reciever fit and the cool looks. The trigger adjustments were a joke, it is built like a tank though.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0018.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0017.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0010.jpg

Tell us please about the sling on this rifle... Home made?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't you make the same argument for the krink flash hiders (that don't hide flash, I could care less how loud my 10" entry gun is as long as I have plugs in), what about AR's in general; unless you are military or LEO is there really a use for them? It all comes down to what people like and how they like to personalize their guns, no more, no less.

Yes, I agree about the Krink that's why I would probably never have one even on a SBR.

My question wasn't about "NEED" but rather the quality of the product for the amount of money you're spending.   I.E. paying more for lesser quality materials, 6061 for more $$ vs 7075 for less $$.  I think we're seeing the same thing with the Sun Devil lowers vs the CMT/Stag lowers.

BTW, I also agree that people should get what they want since it's their money after all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0018.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0017.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0010.jpg

Tell us please about the sling on this rifle... Home made?

I just bought 2 from brownells. Part number for Tacticle rifle is 762-125-001 costs $18.55 Ea.  Available for Shotgun and Hunting Rifle also.

Thanks Ptaylor

Also the 7075 you speak of is forged not milled, ther is a differance.

Machined From A Billet With Reinforced Stress Areas

4-axis, CNC machined from a seven pound block of T-6 aluminum; Every pin hole, screw hole, attaching point and opening is precisely aligned to original military specs. No stampings, no unseen fractures and the extra mass at high stress areas reduces wear and slop. All sides are extra thick to resist twisting. Extra metal around pin holes reduces wear. Accepts small pin diameter fire control parts and takedown pins. Trigger overtravel and engagement, and upper receiver tightening screws (Jacking Screw) are built into the receiver. Bolt hold open pin and rear take down pin spring and detent are held in place with set screws.

I used a McCormic trigger in both lowers so the trigger adjustments didn't matter anyway.  As I said before I absolutly hate rollpins. I even drill and tap the front gas block and gas tube to accept an allen cap screw so I dont have to use a roll pin.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top