User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:54:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet build.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Denny, will the KFH work when one opts for a 12"rail?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Denny-

Remember, the name "IMP" is already taken by Colt.

I'd hate to see GD go after you

wp
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that a Midlength?

Would a 12" barrel work with a midlength?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks nice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding!  This could be just the right medicine for urban combat.  I've not shot a 6.8, so how's the recoil in that package?   Would there be much of a handicap with follow up shots compared to 5.56?

And, I like the fire belching pig, reminds me of an aircraft I used to fly on...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is that a Midlength?

Would a 12" barrel work with a midlength?

Carbine length gas system on this.  A middy would most likely cause reliability problems unless it was a piston system.

Denny

Denny, middy 12" user checking in here. I've got 2 now, and they're both running 100% w/ SSA and Hornady factory ammo. If you want, I can IM you a gas port size range that's been working extremely well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
cool
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
E-mail sent...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome SBR.

I posted the pics in Denny's picture thread at the AR Discussions forum (go to page 3).

Denny's Guns/ Global Tactical Picture Thread link
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Why would you run a 12" barrel with a 2" long weight krink brake on the end when you could use a 14.5" barrel that will have better velocity, equal reliability, lower transmitted sound, lower weight, and the same length?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why would you run a 12" barrel with a 2" long weight krink brake on the end when you could use a 14.5" barrel that will have better velocity, equal reliability, lower transmitted sound, lower weight, and the same length?

Because then you get to stick a Vortex on the end of it and get a 16" barrel.  As for velocity, it's not meant to be a long range gun in the first place, the 6.8 pill coming out of that barrel has plenty of oomph to do what it needs to do...

J

It is an SBR, the barrel doesnt have to be 16". It just seams silly to spend a bunch of money just to get the same overall length, more weight, and lower performance.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A 14.5 with a Vortex or Phantom will be in excess of 16" in overall barrel length.  This little guy is 14.25" with the Krink.

I would hardly call that little.

Quoted:
The Noveske KX3 is the best answer there is to muzzle blast out of shorties other than a silencer.

The irony is that the Noveske brake makes those shorties not so short

Quoted:
There is a Surefire 6.8 silencer coming for this rifle.  In fact I have several on order and I just ran into Standich at GA Precision this evening.

cool

Quoted:
The intended ranges of this carbine are from in your mouth to 150 yards or so.  The 12" barrel will handle the killing power just fine in 6.8 SPC, especially loaded with 110 grain V-Max projo's.

I don't think this was ever in dispute.

Quoted:
I disagree with the lower transmitted sound statement.  A 14.5" with an A2 or other popular muzzle device is much louder than a shorty with the excellent Noveske developed KX3 blast mitigater, especially when you have others close by in your shooting vicinity.

Prove it. Since the Noveske brake is not a silencer and does not reduce sound it can't be quieter than any other flash hider. The brake may project sound but it certainly is not quieter than a 14.5" barrel and an A2 bird cage.

Quoted:
I seem to recall a comment from a Barrett armorer in a thread about a batch of 15 12.5" 6.8's built for some USMC FAST teams.   I would assume they know what they are doing as well.

Post the comments.

Quoted:
One thing for sure the 6.8 SPC trumps 5.56 even with 77gr ammo inside of 100 yards in shorties.

That is wonderful but it does not change the fact that the Noveske brake is 2" long and makes a compact carbine not so compact.

I know the Noveske brakes are the in thing right now but they are pretty silly when you think about what you are compromising.

ETA:Here is some sound testing by RSilvers with an 11.5" barrel and a Repro Colt Moderator LINK
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not as little as a 10.5, a little more little than a 14.5 with an A2 or Vortex.

True, but the 14.5" barrel has better velocity, lower muzzle blast/flash, weighs less, and is basically the same size. I'm not saying the 12" 6.8 is bad, just that it is silly to hang a noveske off the end when you could get better performance in the same overall package.

Quoted:
And a silencer will make it even more not so short, what's the point?

A silencer is actually useful where as the Noveske just adds length and weight to the end of the rifle. If you are dying to add weight and length to the rifle why not make it count with either more barrel or a suppressor?

Quoted:
Then why mention velocity loss in the first place?  That seems like a dispute.

I never said there was velocity loss, I said that you get more velocity with from a longer barrel which ends up being the same length as the 12" plus the Krink.

Quoted:
I think the point Denny is making is that it's less perceived blast to the shooter.  Ever shot a shorty with a Noveske on it?

Yes I have. I found it to be front heavy, needlessly long, and still just as loud as any other carbine on the range. I "perceived" that if I took off my hearing protection I would have permanent hearing loss which indicates to me that it is not of any real benefit as a noise reducer/moderator/mitigator/transducer/flux capacitor/ or any other slick marketing name you want to give it.

Quoted:
Right, the Noveske brake is 2" long, or so, and makes a compact carbine not so compact.  And you are proposing that a 14.5" with any flash suppressor is more compact?  NOW I see

I'm not proposing that at all, I simply said that the krink brake is silly. The so called benefits it adds come at a cost of an additional 2" and a half a pound added to very end of the rifle. If this is OK then why not just ass two more inches of barrel? The whole reason for adding the krink brake is to aid in reliability and (supposedly) reduce the muzzle blast, both of which can be attained by adding more barrel...which coincidentally adds more velocity.

If this gun is reliable without the krink then why put it on? and if it is so bad without it, why not use a longer barrel?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag for range report, Denny did you get my e-mail?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ian

Here is quote from 50cal.  A member since 2000 with 7,000 posts and a well respected Team Member on the board.

I built 15 12.5" 6.8 uppers for one of the USMC FAST teams while working at Barrett. They shot great at 100m. I was surprised at the accuracy of the factory Remington 115g ammo from the 12.5" barrel.

Denny

Exactly, there is no indication that the muzzle blast is unbearable or that there is a problem with ballistics, so why add that boat anchor to the end? You built a great rifle, why compromise the overall package by adding 2" and half a pound to the end?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ian

Here is quote from 50cal.  A member since 2000 with 7,000 posts and a well respected Team Member on the board.

I built 15 12.5" 6.8 uppers for one of the USMC FAST teams while working at Barrett. They shot great at 100m. I was surprised at the accuracy of the factory Remington 115g ammo from the 12.5" barrel.

Denny

Exactly, there is no indication that the muzzle blast is unbearable or that there is a problem with ballistics, so why add that boat anchor to the end? You built a great rifle, why compromise the overall package by adding 2" and half a pound to the end?

Ian

This rifle is experimental.  I configured it this way to test the effectiveness of the KX3 on this configuration.  I will also test it with a Vortex, a PRI 6.8 Quite Comp and the Surefire can.

Form follows function here.  

Denny

I would love to see the results, can you post them to this thread? Also, can you post weights and lengths?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#31]
very nice looking forward to a review of this setup
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]

The Krink brake is approx. 1.25 of an inch longer than an A2 sup. and adds 5 ounces.

In return, it directs muzzle blast away from you ears, and the ears of your team.

It is useful in a limited number of circumstances, most of which involve working in teams.

It also reduces muzzle rise noticeably.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Krink brake is approx. 1.25 of an inch longer than an A2 sup. and adds 5 ounces.

In return, it directs muzzle blast away from you ears, and the ears of your team.

It is useful in a limited number of circumstances, most of which involve working in teams.

Prove it Jack

From Tim Lau's post on 10-8 www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19994&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
"Guys,

Some random observations:

1. One student had a Kahles 1.1-4x24, which is externally similar to the S&B Short Dot. The first thing I noticed was that despite published statistics, the Kahles was just about an inch longer than the Short Dot when compared back to back. Eye relief is much less forgiving on the Kahles, and on this example, the illumination was not working.

2. Two bolt carrier keys came loose as they were unstaked (or had very weak stakes) from the factory. Since I had one of Ned Christiansen's Mother of All Carrier Key Stakers on hand, I ended up staking half a dozen carrier keys. Even the excellent CMT/Stag Arms bolt carriers have relatively weak stakes.

3. One student's Bushmaster bolt broke at the cam pin hole. If the bolt is going to break, it will usually break here or shear the first lug adjacent to the extractor. While MP/proof testing does not guarantee anything, we have certainly seen fewer failures in factory Colt bolts than any other brand.

4. Another student's Bushmaster somehow had it's buffer retaining pin pop out into the fire control assembly. The tip was sheared off and the retaining pin spring also fell into the action.

5. A Winchester cartridge somehow made it out of the factory with no flash hole. The primer popped out of the pocket and fell into the action. The case stuck in the chamber and a portion of the rim was sheared off.

6. An LMT MRP had a gas tube so crooked it mangled the carrier key, breaking a piece of it off.

7. Most students seemed to agree that the effect of the Noveske KX3 in throwing sound forward was impressive.

Tim"
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#34]
In addition to extensive experience with Colt Commandos and Mk18's, I suspect we have had more time shooting short barrel 6.8 mm carbines than about anyone else.  If suppresors, like the Surfire "shorty" can (FA556K) are not used, we have found the Noveske KFH/KX3 flash hiders that clearly direct sound and blast away from the shooter and teammates to be the overwhelming preference on 10-12" barrel 5.56 mm and 6.8 mm weapons.  The Noveske's are used not because they are the latest fad or "in thing", but because they improve the tool and the ability to successfully complete the mission...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove it Jack

From Tim Lau's post on 10-8 www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19994&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
"Guys,

Some random observations:

1. One student had a Kahles 1.1-4x24, which is externally similar to the S&B Short Dot. The first thing I noticed was that despite published statistics, the Kahles was just about an inch longer than the Short Dot when compared back to back. Eye relief is much less forgiving on the Kahles, and on this example, the illumination was not working.

2. Two bolt carrier keys came loose as they were unstaked (or had very weak stakes) from the factory. Since I had one of Ned Christiansen's Mother of All Carrier Key Stakers on hand, I ended up staking half a dozen carrier keys. Even the excellent CMT/Stag Arms bolt carriers have relatively weak stakes.

3. One student's Bushmaster bolt broke at the cam pin hole. If the bolt is going to break, it will usually break here or shear the first lug adjacent to the extractor. While MP/proof testing does not guarantee anything, we have certainly seen fewer failures in factory Colt bolts than any other brand.

4. Another student's Bushmaster somehow had it's buffer retaining pin pop out into the fire control assembly. The tip was sheared off and the retaining pin spring also fell into the action.

5. A Winchester cartridge somehow made it out of the factory with no flash hole. The primer popped out of the pocket and fell into the action. The case stuck in the chamber and a portion of the rim was sheared off.

6. An LMT MRP had a gas tube so crooked it mangled the carrier key, breaking a piece of it off.

7. Most students seemed to agree that the effect of the Noveske KX3 in throwing sound forward was impressive.

Tim"

What exactly are you not agreeing with? C_J's comments echo Lau's.

It's also kinda funny... Combat_Jack was in the class cited in your link. He was running the MRP with the gay gastube.

DocGKR, IIRC the standard Surefire M4FA will work with a 12.5" barrel if one uses a 9" rail. BTW, anyone loading 6.8 ammo with bonded bullets yet? The SSA ProHunter loads are pretty nice for intermediate barrier penetration, but I'm thinking a bonded bullet (or an AMAX loading) would hold up to auto glass a tad bit better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Cap'
I'm joking on the "Prove it" thing.  I posted the Tim Lau comments for further evidence that many think the krink does work, that's all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Cap'
I'm joking on the "Prove it" thing.  I posted the Tim Lau comments for further evidence that many think the krink does work, that's all.

Doh! Sorry bro, all of the jackassery from industry trolls ragging on products that have a specific purpose has just got me pissed lately.

It's funny now that I know you were joking
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cap'

Doh! Sorry bro, all of the jackassery from industry trolls ragging on products that have a specific purpose has just got me pissed lately.

It's funny now that I know you were joking

No problemo!  "Tone of voice" is a bitch to convey sometimes on the 'net.

Anyway...COOL rifle Denny!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Great build. I have two questions. The first being, how many inches in front of the gas system was the muzzle. And secondly, did you shoot it with a normal flash hider for reliabilty issues.Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Question to Mr. Dennysguns,

For those of us that would want to own a 16" in total length, for legal reasons, what barrel options would work best, say with a permantly mounted Krink for 6.8? Or will that even be an offering?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top