Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:57:35 AM EDT
Hey all,

I am considering which barrel to build for a lightweight, 16" carbine. I'm leaning towards the Bushmaster superlight as I've been reading good things about them here. I have a couple of questions though:

Are these barrels inherently any less accurate on the first few shots, or does the accuracy only degrade under rapid fire? Or is this all just BS, i.e. the accuracy of the superlight is just as good as an HBAR under slow and rapid fire? In other words, is there really *any* point to having excess steel on your barrel when the accuracy potential is limited by the chrome lining process?

Would this barrel be permanently damaged by dumping a beta mag or two through it as fast as possible?

Is it possible to order the barrel without the drilled holes for the front sight taper pins? I don't plan on putting a front sight on it anyway, so I don't see the point in having these.

Can this barrel be had with the M4 extension, or will I have to have that added on afterwards?

Does anyone else make a barrel that compares to the Bushmaster superlight? Priorities are

1) reliability/quality of build. Must be chrome lined
2) as lightweight as possible
3) M4 extension

Price is no object. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are these barrels inherently any less accurate on the first few shots, or does the accuracy only degrade under rapid fire?

When cold my superlight is just as accurate as any other Bushy barrel.  I have not done accuracy testing with the barrel when hot.  I can tell you it WILL keep all the rounds in a 2"x4" box at 50 yards when has been exercised and it too hot to touch.

In other words, is there really *any* point to having excess steel on your barrel when the accuracy potential is limited by the chrome lining process?

Not IMHO.  If you're really looking for that supream accuracy you should be looking for a stainless barrel, or a quality chrome-moly.

Would this barrel be permanently damaged by dumping a beta mag or two through it as fast as possible?

Uhh no - this was the same barrel profile that was used for 20+ years the M16A1 and XM177 series.  Though I caution you about doing two beta dumps - that would exceed the cookoff danger point (just as it would if you did the same 200 rounds through a M4 or M16A2 barrel).  I don't know if the HBAR has the same cookoff point.

Is it possible to order the barrel without the drilled holes for the front sight taper pins?

No.

Can this barrel be had with the M4 extension, or will I have to have that added on afterwards?
Not from Bushmaster, you'd have to order it from Colt to get the M4 feedramps.

Also I seriously doubt you could add an M4 extension to an existing barrel - the extensions are timed to the barrel and the gas port is drilled based on the extension.  Near impossible to retrofit a new extension.  Your only hope with the Bushmaster would be to dremel the ramps in.

Though I've never had a need for them in the last 2 years and thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo of all types (from Wolf to Black Hills 75gr OTM).

Does anyone else make a barrel that compares to the Bushmaster superlight?

Colt. (and expect to pay twice as much)

If price is no object as you say, then call up SAW Sales and order the Colt barrel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Forest.

Is there any advantage of the Colt over the Bushmaster, other than the fact that barrel extension comes pre-cut with the M4 ramps? I've had M4 ramps added to rifle extensions before, so I guess it's not not that big a deal. Is there a significant quality difference (performance wise) between Colt's lightweight offering and Bushmaster's? Is the Colt as lightweight as the Bushy?

If you're really looking for that supream accuracy you should be looking for a stainless barrel, or a quality chrome-moly.

No... I'm not looking for supreme accuracy, something that can shoot less than 1.5 MOA is all I really need, although less than 1.0 MOA would be ideal. I'll leave the sub 0.5 MOA work for my HS Precision
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot my superlight into an 8"-10" circle at 100yds all the time.  It's the exact same group I get with my HBAR of equal length every time.  Based on my experience, they both shoot the same.

I bought my Superlight upper from Eaglefirearms.  They were less expensive than Bushmaster, and the barrel came with the chrome lining.  It's 4140 steel, not 4150 like Bushmaster's barrels.  I don't know how much this matters to you.

BTW Forest:  I ordered a Bushmaster barrel right after the ban expired (M4 profile, 14.5/1/5" FH) and it came with the M4 barrel extension.  Yes, I'm absolutely sure it's the M4 feedramps and I absolutely know the difference.  All of my Bushmaster barrels in the past came with the standard feedramps.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My current build project started with one of CMMG's 14.7" LW 1/7 barrels.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try EagleFirearms.net. They may be able to build to your spec as well as far as removing the front sight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just did it the easy way and ordered a Bushmaster superlight.  I'm VERY happy with it.  It's just as accurate as my buddy's M4 barrel, and lighter to boot.

It's funny... I asked the same questions before I bought mine, and I just KNEW that my accuracy was going to go to crap with the skinny barrel.  It didn't.  All that worry for nothing.  As a bonus, my Bushy superlight weighs less than a Beretta Storm!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt

But you may not find one with feedramps.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BTW Forest:  I ordered a Bushmaster barrel right after the ban expired (M4 profile, 14.5/1/5" FH) and it came with the M4 barrel extension.  Yes, I'm absolutely sure it's the M4 feedramps and I absolutely know the difference.  All of my Bushmaster barrels in the past came with the standard feedramps.

That is good to know - thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The M4 feedramps will be hard to come by.  JT Dist makes a lightweight bbl as well, and I believe they come with a chrome option.  Check them out.

Mitch
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, all, for re-affirming my hopes of ordering a superlight!  I too was wondering if they got too whippy when hot, but how many times, seriously, am I going to be dumping ammo that fast AND worrying if they stay inside 1" @ 100yds?  Haha... let's hope never.

M1S order on the way... replacing last year's front-heavy Dissy with a superlight kit... pics soon!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top