Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2005 2:50:27 PM EDT
  Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure of the latest short creation from POF doing accuracy testing. This is a basic POF piston drive upper with a 9 1/4" Mike Rock barrel and a special JET suppressor purpose built for the short barrel attached. Velocity was 2184fps with 77gr match ammo. Groups were shot at 100 and 300 yrds(just to see what would happen). Wow, we were suprised at the group size with this short barrel.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3853992/1119871779399_pofocc91.jpg
OCC carbine and 300 yrd target
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3853992/1120786911788_pofocc93.jpg
Close-up of group at 300yrds. link to hi-res
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3853992/1119743399457_pofocc95.jpg
3 shots at 100yrds. link to hi-res
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3853992/1122296561995_pofocc96.jpg
6 shots at 100 yrds. link to hi-res
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
GJ, you've got close-up photos of the targets, got any of the gun itself?

Also, do you have a decibel reading of how loud the gun is with the suppressor, or just a ball-park comparison to something?

Did you try any other loads than 77gr and what were the results?

You say the suppressor was "purpose built for the short barrel." How does it differ from a standard suppressor?

John
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Frank-

Any links to more info on this system- cost/availability etc? I just got SBR paperwork approved......
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
how are barrel length and group size related?
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still curious about this......
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
My topend should arrive early next week!!! I got the call from Frank Wed. I ended up speaking with Chris about the details!! Very top notch guys over there! If there service is any kind of indicator of there product I will be very pleased!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a nice system any plans for 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel?

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you keep from getting baffle strikes with such a short barrel?  I know that most of the major suppressor companies will not usually warranty baffle strikes if you're using less than a 10.5" barrel.  What's different about this case?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got my upper from POF today and Im really impressed. I havent shot it yet and will not get to until the weekend but the quality and design of the whole upper is very nice! Thanks Chris and Frank for such a nice product!
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I have just picked up a 16" POF-USA upper with the 9.0 Predator on it.  Impressive looking, fairly light weight.

I placed it on a Bushy lower.  The POF is finished in black so it's not a perfect match with the dark gray Bushy.  No biggie!

I put 60-rds through it last night just to get my ML3 sighted in.  Accuracy was hard to gauge since I was shooting a red dot against a red scope target.  25-yd (easy to aim on red target) resulted in 10 shots in a 1" hole.  50-yds was closer to 1.5" for ten excluding some flyers caused by me.  Ammo was Fed XM193.

I'll do a full write-up with photos once I can put some rounds downrange with better targets.

I highly recommend the upper and am planning to buy a 14.5" M4 style from POF-USA sometime soon.

Good product!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Can you use any standard rail system with the gas piston set-up or only the predator rail system?

Is it considerably heavier?

Does the piston affect felt recoil?

On the OCC, how does the higher top rail affect stock-cheek weld?

Like many people, I'm hesitant to drop the $$$ for something I've never shot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
i just saw that thing in shotgun news.badass!!no sbr's for alabama . mg's and suppressors, okay maybe get sound tech to permanently attach  M-can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I got to shoot my POF equiped rifle today. ALthough it was brief and it was not at the range, I was very pleased. It shot smooth, stone reliable and very accurate for just plinking at cans into the water.  The kick is slightly different than the direct gas impingement. Its not really more just a little different.
Only the face of my bolt had any carbon on it. Everything else was clean. Of course the piston was slightly dirty. Very easy to clean though. Pull the plug out of the gas block and everything just comes out.
I shot about 100 rounds with zero malfunctions. I will be shooting some more at my range later in the week.
Once again between dealing with the guys over at POF and the product they sold me, I couldnt be happier! Worth every cent!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Shot the POF upper again today. Its the 14.5 fluted m4 barrel with a  pinned A2 flash hider. The rail is the P-9x mid length. This thing is really sweet! I shot it with a standard heavy buffer and the recoil is slightly more than a similar direct gas system weapon. After I put the MGI buffer in, it was smooth and straight. I put about 200 rounds through it and didnt have any malfunctions at all. The scope I am using has a problem but as far as the mechanics of this gas piston system, this is a step forward for the Ar15 rifle.  Other than the face of the bolt, everything stayed very clean. The piston itself gets a little dirty but that to be expected.
Also the bolt carrier stayed much cooler during  sustained fire. We compared it to my Dads after shooting a full 30 round magazine and I could still hold my carrier in my hand. His , you could not touch!
To say that Im impressed is an understatement! I have no regrets after buying this upper. The guys at POF are great and easy to talk to and there product seems to be just as good!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
SRTM4,

Thanks. We appreciate your business.
By the why, where's the pictures?
Best regards,

Frank
Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF-USA)
www.POF-USA.com

I can build a pretty evil ar-15 but Im to stupid to post pictures! I can email a couple to someone if they would like to post them??
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
How the hell to you upload pictures??  I have some POF eye candy I would like to throw on here....
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#23]
POF eye candy is sexy!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Well let's see them pics...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#27]
SSSSSSEEEEEXXXXYYY!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]
SRTM4, is the flash-hider permanently attached? It is an A2 birdcage, isn't it? Hard to tell.

Also, isn't that the Valdada scope? Do you have a good source for those? Who'd you get it from and about how much?

John
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, its permantly attached. Its pinned and then tack welded. And then cut back down and refinished with a small shot of Gun Kote!
I got the scope from SWFA. They were in stock and shipped out very quickly. I paid $599 for it.
The scope is great. Super clear glass and nice illuminated recticle.
To me , I have the perfect combination. This weapon is smooth, reliable, ergonomic and best of all Sexy!
Thanks Frank for getting that pic up for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
okok, i'll try to send the pics to ya tonight......thanks a heap..
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah! It would be nice to see some more POF weapons!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Pictures sent ..
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#34]
SRTM4, it looks like you've got the Surefire Nitrolon flashlight attached. What unit are you using to attach that light to your rails? Is it in a good position for your thumb to operate?

Also, I know it's a Surefire, but I don't know if it's built as tough as the others to take a weapon's recoil. How is it holding up and are you at all worried about it guts shaking loose from repeated recoil?

John
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
SRTM4, it looks like you've got the Surefire Nitrolon flashlight attached. What unit are you using to attach that light to your rails? Is it in a good position for your thumb to operate?

Also, I know it's a Surefire, but I don't know if it's built as tough as the others to take a weapon's recoil. How is it holding up and are you at all worried about it guts shaking loose from repeated recoil?

John

Grendelizor,  thats exactly what it is. The light works fine. Its mounted to the VLTOR flashlight mount. Very neat and inexpensive mount. It would be better to have it wired down to the foregrip. I have an M95 anchored to another ar15 right now. Im thinking about putting it on. I was holding off to see how reliable the POF was! Thats not an issue anymore. The POF doesnt miss a lick! It will graduate to my home defense rifle here soon.
About being worried about recoil damaging the light? Hmmm. Never had that problem before and I have had this particular light on a couple of my AR's. And now that I have the MGI buffer and  Wolf heavy recoil spring, recoil is smooth as silk!!!!

Oh and if you look closely youll notice that the flashlight is mounted on the left hand side. Im right handed but shoot left handed. I wear my single point sling on the opposite side too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
FDAWG, The weapon is Looking Sweet!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for uploading that pic Frank!  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
very nice rifles
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#40]
SRTM4 and Fdawg,

I've read that the POF is somewhat nose heavy. What do you think of the weight and balance of the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
SRTM4 and Fdawg,

I've read that the POF is somewhat nose heavy. What do you think of the weight and balance of the rifle?

Posted By abnsfc:
SRTM4 and Fdawg,

By looking at it you would think that it is front heavy. Honestly ,I cant say that it is. The predator rail is bulky and at first I didnt know if I was going to like it. I was wrong. Even with the Knights rail panels it has a great feel. I have a daniels defense and a knights rail on my other 2 blasters and they seem small now.
The gas piston parts cannot weigh that much because there is so little there. Very simple! The way I like it!! Less to break.
Even from adding the gas piston and the predator rail, this thing is very well balanced!!!
Did I mention I love this thing!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Excellent info, thnak you.  I do get the vaguest sense that you love the POF.

Okay, I'm in contrast-compare mode now. The LW system uses a piston spring and retains the gas rings on the bolt to help stabilize it . The POF uses neither of these. Why did POF eliminate those parts?

I'm not trying to re-kindle the flames of previous threads (I own neither system), I'm just trying to decide which system to buy for a coming home present to myself.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Excellent info, thnak you.  I do get the vaguest sense that you love the POF.

Okay, I'm in contrast-compare mode now. The LW system uses a piston spring and retains the gas rings on the bolt to help stabilize it . The POF uses neither of these. Why did POF eliminate those parts?

I'm not trying to re-kindle the flames of previous threads (I own neither system), I'm just trying to decide which system to buy for a coming home present to myself.

Mike

Hey Man, I do love my POF. Thats the one I would recommend only because it works, its simple, and I own one!
I think that the LW would also be a very good choice. It looks well designed and probably works as advertised. Id like to get one sooner or later.
Ive added return springs to the POF pushrod. They work. They actually help with felt recoil just a little. After trying a few different types and sizes, I decided to go back to the way POF sold it to me. The springs did not make enough difference to justify having them. This keeps the system very simple and less chances of things breaking.
My current setup is the MGI Rate reducing buffer, a Wolfsprings extra heavy recoil spring , and a D-ring for extraction. This weapon is 100% reliable with even Wolf ammo. DO I need all of this? NO! The POF ran fine without these extra options. I now have a very reliable , accurate, and smooth as snake shit shooting rifle!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Honestly my POF is slighty nose heavy, this was solved by using a Vltor stock and milspec tube. I have good balance and have zero problems handling the rifle. POF customer service is beyond reproach and I would say they are the most customer friendly seller/manufacturer in the nation. The rifle is WELL worth the money. I love the POF lower, comes standard with TD grips, pictograph safe/fire and ambi selector...  awesome.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for your honest input. I gotta admit, the POF has a big "Bang for the Buck" factor.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Honestly my POF is slighty nose heavy, this was solved by using a Vltor stock and milspec tube. I have good balance and have zero problems handling the rifle. POF customer service is beyond reproach and I would say they are the most customer friendly seller/manufacturer in the nation. The rifle is WELL worth the money. I love the POF lower, comes standard with TD grips, pictograph safe/fire and ambi selector...  awesome.....hy.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the complete rifle (and I'm assuming you got it direct from POF-USA since I can't seem to find a vendor/retailer for them)?

Their website says "Retail" is $975 on the upper, but doesn't give me even a clue about the lower's price.  Looking at other lowers out there, I'm guessing in the $400-500 range.  Is this accurate or a pipe dream?

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#47]
1500 price point will get you a better version then I have! Frank now can make the rail over the gas block like the HK... so, this would be a 14.5 POF upper CROS /w Troy rear, POF lower, picto /w TD grip and a troy front flip...  That would look very similar to the HK you are trying to replicate.... add some nifty high speed items and some HK mags and you have essential the same rifle with long stroke piston and you saved 1500-2000 dollars, heck you can almost by two POF's for the price of 1 HK if you can even get a semi lower......Plus HK service sucks......Peace-Fdawg
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Can you please give me the cost and turnaround time for the SBR piston upper pictured in your ad, minus the vortex and adding an A2 in its place?

I am referring this ad, the upper on the carbine at the bottom row of weapons
www.pof-usa.com/POFAdNew%5B1%5D.jpg

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#49]
What kinda Accuracy are these getting ?  Sub MOA ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
1500 price point will get you a better version then I have! Frank now can make the rail over the gas block like the HK... so, this would be a 14.5 POF upper CROS /w Troy rear, POF lower, picto /w TD grip and a troy front flip...  That would look very similar to the HK you are trying to replicate.... add some nifty high speed items and some HK mags and you have essential the same rifle with long stroke piston and you saved 1500-2000 dollars, heck you can almost by two POF's for the price of 1 HK if you can even get a semi lower......Plus HK service sucks......Peace-Fdawghr

Actually, after talking with Chris over at POF, it doesn't look like they can do the full length rail over a 16" barrel.....or at least he and the email I received from Frank didn't sound like it was possible....only mid-length.   Not sure I'm clear as to why b/c if the midlength rail covers  the gas block and clears it, then a longer, full length rail should as well. **EDIT** But maybe I misunderstood and their mid-length stops before the gas block??  I'm not entirely sure now.**

I'm in contact with L-W now as well......and it seems they'll be able to make something much more like the HK (as far as looks) and a system that is *possibly* better  than the HK (at least if you believe what was written about them going farther in the SCAR testing than the HK).   Currently, they can't make a full length rail version b/c they don't have the rail system yet from Grenadier Precision, but I've been in contact with them as well and they are not only working on that, but possibly even HK style sights.    Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for these new products to become available before I buy.  That's probably okay though, b/c I still have plenty to learn.  

HTH,
Sean
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top