Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2005 12:28:46 AM EDT
This cant be right...

My buddy just picked up his RRA 1251"Entry Tactical" from our FFL the other day. He had a bunch of accesories he wanted me to install on it as soon as he picked it up. So he dropped it off to me. When I took it apart to install the LaRue handguards I saw this:

This carbine was purchased from a highly recommended dealer from the EE (name withheld until I clear this up) as a "new in box" 1251"Entry Tactical". What is up with these feedramps??? Are all RRA ramps dremel'ed like this? Anyone else's RRA have these style feedramps? ***Incase its not clear from the pic, the ramps look like they were cut into the reciever by a dremel tool, and the anodizing is gone on the reciever cuts***

*ETA: I was goin to refinish his barrel with Norrels because when I removed the FSB to install a PRI flip-up, I scratched up his barrel a bit. When disassembling the upper, I could not get the barrel to seperate from the reciever after removing the barrel nut. On all of the other uppers I have worked on the barrels come off easily after removing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]
C'mon now!!! Somebody help!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
does the gun shoot correctly?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Havent fired it yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
E-mail the pic to Steve at ADCO.  He knows more about RRA's than most folks, and will give you the straight scoop.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
my DPMS is that way.  Works great
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
my DPMS is that way.  Works great

I dont think there will be any function problems, but it doesnt look like what I expected from a factory RRA rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My Armalite Post Ban carbines look like that also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have that exact rifle(well same model).
Ill check mine when I get home from work and post back(no digi cam so cant post pics)

Edit - yeah checked mine and it looks just the same.
Although it doesnt look like the right side does. both look just like the one on the left(maybe its just a reflection on the right side i see? who knows)

ETAagain - havent had any problems shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I just received a DPMS M4-style upper and the feed ramps looked the same way.  I called DPMS and a tech said that was how they were doing it so they could tell which upppers they had assembled in-house vs. those that were assembled by "unscrupulous" dealers and sold as factory DPMS uppers.  I asked how they would be able to tell the difference between one of their "dremel" jobs and a "dremel" job by an "unscrupulous" dealer and they didn't know.  I was thoroughly confused by their flawed reasoning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have to say that it looks like someone got ahold of their new Dremel tool.

C4

+1

I've never seen a RRA factory rifle with M4 feedramps.

Unless it's something new?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

C4

Yep

Unless they are outsourcing work to Pakistan.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've never seen a RRA factory rifle with M4 feedramps.

Unless it's something new?

Unless ADCO made changes to the one they sent me, I would say its something 'new'

Purchased mine the week of the AWB being lifted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a RR Entry Tactical about a month ago.

The M4 feedramp cuts in my upper are smooth, but not uniform when comparing one to the other. It looks like the cuts in the upper reciever were made after the barrel was installed, using a dremel. They are not very well done.

I have an Armalite AR-10 carbine with M4 feedramps cut in it. The cuts in the receiver were made before the upper was finished. The cuts in the upper receiver were deeper than the cuts in the barrel extension, leaving a ledge that the bullet tip would likely snag on. I dremeled the cuts in the extension till they matched the cuts in the upper.

My guess is some manufacturers are putting M4 barrel extensions into uppers without the cuts and then installing the cuts in the receiver to blend into the cuts in the barrel extension.

Just a guess.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the responses guys. I was just surprised when I saw them after hearing about RRA's "top quality" products, and comparing them to my carbines (MRP) feedramps. I always thought the anodizing was there for a reason
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bought a RR Entry Tactical about a month ago.

The M4 feedramp cuts in my upper are smooth, but not uniform when comparing one to the other. It looks like the cuts in the upper reciever were made after the barrel was installed, using a dremel. They are not very well done.

Just to clarify... are you describing your  upper or mine (or both)with the above quote?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I am describing my RRA carbine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Gotcha! Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
man the ramp on the right looks like whoever was dremelling slipped
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want factory anodized M4 feedramps your options are CMT, LMT, AND Colt. For the money AND quality I recommend the CMT uppers. I don't understand why anyone would choose a Dremeled upper over CMT, but if it makes you happy...
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Thats a shame if that was done by RRA. If so I wonder how much they paid the guy with the drimel? If thay want M4 feed ramps. They should tool up for it.

If this is RRA's R4 style ramps way of differing from M4. To avoid legal matters with Colt. I dont think Colt has a leg to stand on. As these are nothing like Colts M4 ramps.

I'll stick with Colt's

edit to add. Oh ya or LMT.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Believe there is a thread somewhere else on this topic that Steve@Adco did answer and this is a new "improvement" RRAs is doing.  Those cuts are on my Varmit upper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#23]
UPSguy The BBL extention is right. However the receiver is not. is your Varmit upper just like this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#24]
My CMMG upper has dremeled feed ramps, but they look nothing like those.

They actually look like M4 feed ramps are supposed to.

That just looks...pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

ditto, especially the right side.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone else out there have an RRA Entry Tactical that they could check the feed ramps on. I would like to find out whether this modification is on all the guns they are building, or is it an oddity. Please check your rifles and give us a heads up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Believe there is a thread somewhere else on this topic that Steve@Adco did answer and this is a new "improvement" RRAs is doing.  Those cuts are on my Varmit upper.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733

Iv read that good info before. However I cant find the page is the new "improvement" RRAs is doing, covered on? Are you sure hes not talking about a different post all together?
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

and filthly... shame on the owner!
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

and filthly... shame on the owner!

C'mon now... thats the oil it was shipped with. Its never been fired.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#33]
My M4gery from M&A Parts

My Rock River 20" I bought off the head armorer at Rock River

Looks like my M4gery has a rifle barrel extension and an M4-type upper.
My Rock River has the same marks you show so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edit: Hope these aren't too big
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
That just ain't right...

RRA is going to get a recommendation demotion if this is how they do M4 ramps now days...

Even the M&A pics of M4 ramps looked "unmatched."

Good, bad or whatever, my Colt M4 ramps are anodized and match the barrel... That's how it should be done by ALL M4 manufacturers...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would suggest that RRA send their M4 dremel work to ADCO as I am sure they could do a better job!

C4

I did one better. I just ordered a CMT M4 upper from you to replace this butcher shop job. Doesnt CMT manufacture RRA's stuff anyway? Why wouldnt they just use a CMT M4 upper reciever instead of butchering a A3 like this one???
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

C4

+1

stupid feed ramps
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]
My uppers on my Armalites are anodized and have a smooth transition from extension to upper. I'm very pleased.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My uppers on my Armalites are anodized and have a smooth transition from extension to upper. I'm very pleased.

thats because its an armalite.!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I did one better. I just ordered a CMT M4 upper from you to replace this butcher shop job. Doesnt CMT manufacture RRA's stuff anyway? Why wouldnt they just use a CMT M4 upper reciever instead of butchering a A3 like this one???

Are you sure that barrel has an M4 barrel extension?  It doesn't really look like it in the picture compared to the pictures and informaiton in the adco post.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
My CMMG M4 Upper looks like that too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure that barrel has an M4 barrel extension?  It doesn't really look like it in the picture compared to the pictures and informaiton in the adco post.

No, im not. If it doesnt match up right , I will use it for my current 6.8 project. Im gonna need one for myself anyway. Thanks.

Nick D.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would suggest that RRA send their M4 dremel work to ADCO as I am sure they could do a better job!

C4

I cannot say for certain who RRA gets their receivers from. All I know is that CMT does sell to Colt.

C4

CMT does do RRA's lowers because they have a "CM" prefix on the serial number just like the CMT lowers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats because its an armalite.!!!!

All Armalite receivers have the M4 type extensions in them from the factory, including their .308 models.

Quoted:
That just ain't right...

RRA is going to get a recommendation demotion if this is how they do M4 ramps now days...

It just looks half assed, therefore, I agree.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
No, im not. If it doesnt match up right , I will use it for my current 6.8 project. Im gonna need one for myself anyway. Thanks.

Nick D.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Looks like a RRA upper to me.  They have always tapped the upper with a Dremmel.  I'd just shoot it and not worry about it. It will function just fine. Its a rifle, a tool. If it goes bang thats all that matters, right

RRA may have done it, but I disagree with the "all that matters" stuff.  I just got a DPMS factory upper with Dremeled ramps and I'm pissed.  The problem is that there is no standard for Dremeled ramps.  These guys are creating custom barrel to rec ramp cuts that will not match anything other than the mating part that it was cut with.

I was going to swap this barrel to another rec and this rec to another barrel, but now I can't unless I want to Dremel yet another barrel and rec.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I've gotten factory RRA uppers like that (well sort of like that other than the slip and unequal ramp on the right).  Not true M4 ramps and it looks like that is a rifle extension not M4.  You might let Grant know to send a non M4 ramped upper

I'll just use it for my 6.8 project. It just puts me one step closer. Thanks Jason

It just doesnt make sense...It seems they (RRA) will loose more $money$ from potential buyers being turned off by the quality of workmanship (lack of) with this type of short cut. If CMT does indeed manufacture RRA receivers, they make M4 receivers, so why not use a CMT M4 upper with a real M4 extension??? Of all the dealers selling the CMT stripped uppers, I havent seen a difference in price between the standard and the M4 uppers. What is the price diff. between a rifle or M4 extesion??? Since they raised their prices this year, its the least they can do. Along with letting my buddy trade up to a real M4 upper
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Man that just doesn't look right at all, I'd be asking WTF? too, I'm goint to keep an eye out in the future, thanks for the heads up
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top