Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2004 8:43:54 AM EDT
I like mine!

One of the best 281 bucks I've spent in the while!

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice setup.  I've never been too keen with the collapsable on a 20", but if it works for you, run with it.  

Looks like I'll have another project to build in the future.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that's nice looking!  I hope to put together a 20" upper like youre with a MRF near future.

May I ask where you the rifle length MRF for such a great price?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice to have a collapsible stock with an ACOG.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  I installed the MRF-CX on my primary carbine and have been very happy with it so far!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Damn, that's nice looking!

+1

MN
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, that's nice looking!

+1

MN

I don't know where greentips bought his MRF but I purchased mine from C4iGrant @ G&R Tactical
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very nice!  I installed the MRF-CX on my primary carbine and have been very happy with it so far!

Pics please!  I'm considering selling my 58mod for this or a LaRue, when/if they make a "9.5" sized system.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics please!  I'm considering selling my 58mod for this or a LaRue, when/if they make a "9.5" sized system.

I'll get one up tonight for you.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolutely beautiful
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
ah, I was actually charged 281 bucks.  oops!!

I have several KAC and ARMS rails, I give Troy  two thumbs up. The fit and finish are excellent, much better than some of the KAC stuff that I have just acquired recently ( at least it is not purple! ).  The mating of the lower and upper halves is flawless.    

I did not weight the rail but it seems to have more "meat" than the KAC FFRAS,  This is my first rifle length rail so I cannot really comment on how it compares to others.  I

Quoted:
Damn, that's nice looking!  I hope to put together a 20" upper like youre with a MRF near future.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are the KAC rail covers mounted towards the muzzle?  I know ya have to dremel the covers a bit to go over the solid parts of the MRF..
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Long arms?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Looks great!

He would probably like it more if he got a Magpul stock and sold off his 6 position stock.

*edit*  Stock looks like a Colt.  That could mean one of two things.  He either really likes the Colt, OR he is going to get more upgrade money for the Magpul!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Dremel?  No, I just put them on.

Quoted:
Why are the KAC rail covers mounted towards the muzzle?  I know ya have to dremel the covers a bit to go over the solid parts of the MRF..

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Very sharp eyes. It is indeed a Colt.  

I am one of those very few (or the only one on this planet) individuals who do not care much about the magpul.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks great!

He would probably like it more if he got a Magpul stock and sold off his 6 position stock.

*edit*  Stock looks like a Colt.  That could mean one of two things.  He either really likes the Colt, OR he is going to get more upgrade money for the Magpul!

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I mean the rear portion of the MRF
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, I just slided them in at the muzzle end of the rail...........
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here ya go.  Sorry about the crappy picture.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

kisara,
Here's my MRF-CX

Greentips,
How's the balance on that with the MRF?

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#21]
greentips -

What is the actual length of that forearm?  I'm looking for a 12" rail for my next project...  Also, where did you get your MRF for that great price?

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to hijack, but I just got the MRF-R as well.  It is sweet.  I got it through Grant at G&R.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How heavy are the Troy forearms?

Don't quote me but my MRF-R was 19oz I think.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#24]
It is actually 280 bucks. my bad!

It is the same length as the A2 handguard, 12" it is?

Quoted:
greentips -

What is the actual length of that forearm?  I'm looking for a 12" rail for my next project...  Also, where did you get your MRF for that great price?

Spooky

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say so, Daniel Defense names their rifle length railed handguard 12.0...
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
To each his own.  I love the cheek weld I get with the magpul.  It is really nice with the ACOG

Quoted:
Very sharp eyes. It is indeed a Colt.  

I am one of those very few (or the only one on this planet) individuals who do not care much about the magpul.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks great!

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#27]
how does one install one of these?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
how does one install one of these?

Dremel off delta ring.  Remove Weld spring, and snap ring.

Place upper portion of MRF over barrel nut.  (use carry handle to perfectly allign upper reciever rail with MRF rail)

Put nipple in lower clamp, Put spring behind nipple.  Put lower clamp on bottom of barrel nut.

Tighten 4 allen bolts, connecting lower clamp to upper rail assembly.  

Slide lower rail assembly on, lock in place with nipple.

Remove carry handle "allignment tool."

Shoot.  Smile.  Repeat until out of ammo.

The MRF should come with instructions which contain pictures.

Stainless
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm...  Anyone know if it would be possible to install a rifle-length MRF lower portion with a carbine-length upper portion to create something like a DD FSP?  I've always wanted an FSP for my next build, but I have a 14.5" BM barrel w/ a standard-FSB & perm. phantom and the fact that the MRF seems to be one of the very few tubes I can use that doesn't require the removal of my FSB and FH, it seems like the way to go.  That said, am I correct about this latter part?  - or, are there any others out there that I could use without removing the FSB & FH?  

***Edited to add:  Hey wait!  I just saw the thread on the Troy MRF-CX...hmmm, this seems like just the thing I was looking for!  :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hmmm...  Anyone know if it would be possible to install a rifle-length MRF lower portion with a carbine-length upper portion to create something like a DD FSP?

I was going to use mine for a Dissapator type setup myself.  Then I checked the weight of the unit (19.75 oz installed, yes that includes the barrel nut).  I decided I didn't want to add that kind of weight to a carbine.

Installs really easy, I've got it on my M16A4 / Designated Marksman's type.  Even with the A2 profile barrel its a bit on the nose heavy side (the light sure doesn't help); but it's managable for a while.

Really well made unit - and as an engineer I really appreciate all the nice touches (the spring loaded pin detent that makes the bottom rail secure yet easily removed for cleaning or attachment of an M203).  The tabs on the side to prevent the rail unit from rotating.  

The only thing Troy needs to do is add some lightening holes along the top/bottom rail sides to lighten the unit (like DD & LaRue use).  The unit itself is some 18.5oz - optimally it should be under 16oz (preferably under 16oz if you add the weight of the barrel nut).
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone tried a rifle length on a 16" carbine with a low profile gas block?

If so, I would love to see pictures.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That is exactley what I was going to do.  But it would make for one nose heavy carbine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactley what I was going to do.  But it would make for one nose heavy carbine.

I figure a Magpul stock would help even it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#35]
You could use an MRF-MX over a low profile gas block.
It won't be as heavy as the R, and it has more rail space than the C.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You could use an MRF-MX over a low profile gas block.
It won't be as heavy as the R, and it has more rail space than the C.

I'd love to see pictures both ways. I just can't make up my mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a MX on a carbine length barrel, It's very nice and has a lot of rail space, the troy flipup sights are great too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Pics?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]

EDITED to add:

Colt MT6731 upper de-postbanned by ADCO (who did an outstanding job in and turned it around in a week).  HBAR turned to a profile matching that forward of the gas block (0.73" by my measurements IIRC).  ADCO also threaded the bbl and installed an A2 FS.

All this with the Troy Ind. MRF-MX and Troy front/rear BUIS's.  This is great upper.  I really like it and it's easily sub-MOA.

I really like it.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Sweet, I'm looking to do something like that with a LMT upper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Really well made unit - and as an engineer I really appreciate all the nice touches (the spring loaded pin detent that makes the bottom rail secure yet easily removed for cleaning or attachment of an M203).  The tabs on the side to prevent the rail unit from rotating.  

The only thing Troy needs to do is add some lightening holes along the top/bottom rail sides to lighten the unit (like DD & LaRue use).  The unit itself is some 18.5oz - optimally it should be under 16oz (preferably under 16oz if you add the weight of the barrel nut).

Besides the weight, what really turns me off about the Troy carbine model is the way they lowered the bottom rail!

I understand the reason for this (to clear the front handguard retainer so it can be slid forward for removal).

I personally hope that someday soon LaRue will pick up on this (the continuous rail concept) and run with it as they have with similar products!

We Engineers (Mechanical here) understand the contributions of Troy, LaRue and look forward to all their future offerings.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Cory,

That's one sweet looking blaster! I love the MRF-MX!  BTW, how heavy is the MRF-MX?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Cory,

That's one sweet looking blaster! I love the MRF-MX!  BTW, how heavy is the MRF-MX?

I'd guess half way between the MRF-C and MRF-R in weight.  Just a WAG but maybe a bit less than a pound?

Let's put it this way, with the Adco medium profile bbl (which I absolutely love) and the Troy MRF-MX, run bare (like in the last pic) it is a very handy lightweight feeling configuration.

So while I don't have an exact weight, I think it's within the "reasonable" ballpark such that it's a non issue for me.

I hate to say it, but I like the MRF-MX almost better than the MRF-CX upper....

Corey

EDITED to add pics of the MRF-CX.  As you can see, they're set up pretty different.  I like the CX only because I'm a fixed BUIS guy at heart and if I had one rifle to grab it would be the CX with the M2.

This is the first time I've resized an image so I hope it looks okay.  Too small.  Let me try again....

EDITED again for a typo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks good with the CX.  I'm feeling a case of 'get both' coming on...

Must listen to the voices!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Looks good with the CX.  I'm feeling a case of 'get both' coming on...

Must listen to the voices!

Tell me about it.

I got a Troy MRF-C prototype.

Then, instead of a production MRF-C, I shaved a front sight assembly and got the MRF-MX.

Another rifle was perfectly happy with it's RASII, but that one had to have an MRF-CX (and who was I to argue with my favorite rifle?).

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
The only thing that I can fault LaRue for is that I won't shave the fsb while I'm addicted to their fixed BUIS.  Therefore I can't satiate my MX needs  And yes, you get a good bit of credit for my MRF affliction with your ongoing saga
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just installed my 12" Troy rail.  I can move the very front part of the rail up/down by about 1/4" with just thumb pressure.  

Are you sure you have the hex head screws at the rear torqued down properly?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well, mine did NOTcome w/ instructions.  

Mine either.  The instructions are on the web site at http://www.troyind.com/products.htm  There's two pages listed in the left column.

It isn't listed in the instructions, but here's what I'd suggest:
- apply a little grease or at least oil to the surfaces where the top portion touches the piece that clamps around the bottom.  Especially the slanted sections that interlock.  The parts need to clamp tightly to the barrel nut, not to eachother.
- lube the threads on the screws to make sure they tighten all the way down without binding .
- tighten opposing screws as you would when doing lug nuts or a valve cover so that you know it's torqued down evenly.
- the instructions on the web site says you need to tighten them until you get 1/8" deflection with the Allen wrench they include.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top