Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2004 10:01:08 PM EDT
here ya go -
www.militarymorons.com/weapons/weapons.1.html#mrfc

username and password are both 'mm' to view full size pics.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Great pics and review.  Whats the skinny on a rifle length version?  Free float, same system?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks much, MM. Good stuff!

One question... will an ARMS 22M68 Aimpoint mount lock down at the juncture where the MRF meets the upper receiver? In other words, will the mount bridge the "gap"?
Link Posted: 6/16/2004 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Great  job on the review and pics!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
MM,

As usual excellent review and great pics!

I know you probably haven't had much time to put a lot rounds through it but do you think the lower and upper might loosen uo after a few thousand rounds or does it look like it will hold up?

Link Posted: 6/17/2004 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice write up there, MM.  The pics look great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Say MM, did you use the blue locktite on the screws?
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks much, MM. Good stuff!

One question... will an ARMS 22M68 Aimpoint mount lock down at the juncture where the MRF meets the upper receiver? In other words, will the mount bridge the "gap"?

Good question.

It looks like it's a great match between the upper and MRF rails.  My original Gen1 (prototype?) MRF has an obvious mismatch of the rails.

My guess is that the current MRF-C would have no problem with accessories mounting over the gap, but I'd be interested if someone could try it and report back.

Another week or so until I get my MRF-M.  I can't wait!!

Corey
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
viper - yes, midlength and rifle mount the same, as far as i know.
NYP - i don't have an ARMS 22M68, so i don't know.  it depends on where the crossbar on the mount is located. the rails line up perfectly (i used a mount to bridge the rail and receiver when assembling it) so it just depends on the cross slot.  good thing about it is that it doesn't depend on the barrel nut being perfectly TDC as it doesn't index off it.
yojimbo - i just got it - no rounds thru it yet. the upper and lower portions are completely solid when clamped around the barrel nut, and will only loosen if the 4 bolts come loose.  the bolts go into steel threaded inserts, not aluminum. (yes, i did put a drop of blue loctite on them, duffy ). looking at the design, i don't feel that the forend is any more likely to loosen than others.
if it loosens somehow, it will rotate less than barrel-nut indexed rails (where the rotation is limited by the gas tube hole clearance), as the two tabs that index the receiver are much tighter toleranced.  there's still a very small perceptible amount of rotation possible (due to differences in receiver manufacturing tolerances), but it's VERY small.
hawkeye - i try my best to keep up
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
MM,
Another great review.

Nice improvement by Troy with the 'locking tabs' to prevent rotation.  Simple but effective.

I can't wait for the rifle length version.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I can't wait for the rifle length AR10 version.

Just thought I'd throw that in, in case TROY happens to see this.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't wait for the rifle length AR10 version.

Just thought I'd throw that in, in case TROY happens to see this.  

You don't think they haven't thought of that?  

My guess is there will be a few of these running around the Troy R&D department soon.

I suspect that Troy has a winner on their hands with the MRF.

The real test is going to be how it stacks up against the URXII and DD forends.  MM -- can you offer any insight into this?

Corey
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You don't think they haven't thought of that?  

My guess is there will be a few of these running around the Troy R&D department soon.

I suspect that Troy has a winner on their hands with the MRF.

The real test is going to be how it stacks up against the URXII and DD forends.  MM -- can you offer any insight into this?

Corey

Yeah, Corey, I think you're right.  Actually, when I met Mr. TROY at the KCR shoot, I mentioned an AR10 forened to him, and he said something to the fact that they were going to work on that after they got the AR15 one going along.  So I just thought I would remind them that there is definately a market for that still

Link Posted: 6/17/2004 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, Corey, I think you're right.  Actually, when I met Mr. TROY at the KCR shoot, I mentioned an AR10 forened to him, and he said something to the fact that they were going to work on that after they got the AR15 one going along.  So I just thought I would remind them that there is definately a market for that still

Steve Troy seems like a great person.  (Heck, Cheryl and Brett are great also!)  I've never met him, but we've spoke a few times on the phone.  He told me the last time we talked that they were going after government contracts but wouldn't lose sight of us customers on the civilian side.

Troy Ind. is a great company to deal with in my opinion and experience.

Link Posted: 6/17/2004 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Corey

hi corey,
as far as workmanship/materials/contruction, i think all 3 of those rails will live up to expectations, based on what i've seen from DD and KAC - they're all well made products.
but if you mean 'stacking up' one against the other, they all have different attributes/features so i suspect choices will be made based on their features which will be up to the individual to decide which one fits his needs best.
for example, if someone wants the lightest, they'd go for the DD (not knowing what the URXII weighs)
the least gunsmithing and removable lower handguard - the troy.  and so on.  the best insight will come from the individual users' needs.  just my .02.
cheers,
MM

Link Posted: 6/17/2004 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Steve Troy seems like a great person.  (Heck, Cheryl and Brett are great also!)  I've never met him, but we've spoke a few times on the phone.  He told me the last time we talked that they were going after government contracts but wouldn't lose sight of us customers on the civilian side.

Troy Ind. is a great company to deal with in my opinion and experience.

Have to agree with you there, TROY has been a pleasure to do business with.  I've been talking to them quite frequently for the past few days, since my forend and BUIS got sort of lost after the UPS shipping.  Cheryl and Mr. Troy have been very kind and helpful in getting everything taken care of for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
MM,
Will the YHM front sight fold down completely?
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
MM,
Will the YHM front sight fold down completely?

it's already in the locked down position.  it won't go any lower or it'll contact the top front of the rail.  a bit ugly, IMHO, but when i got it about 5(?) years ago from bushy, there weren't many choices for folding front sights.  it was that, or get another GG&G flip up ($$).
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
So, uh, where, and how much?
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Delta,

Those are $250 shipped.  If you're interested drop me an IM or an email.

GIFFMANN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top