Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Matt, do you (or anyone else) know if this part is still available? I don't see it listed on the MagPul site.

Hey Lance, I'm sorry I missed your question. I've been taking a bit of a vacation from the boards (anger management ).

The last time I spoke with Richard (6 weeks ago), he said they were closing to making some more so I would just give Magpul a call to see where they're at.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Vltor - Regular vs. Clubfoot

I understand that the benefit of the clubfoot design is so you can use your extra hand to stabalize the rifle by holding the stock in the prone position.

This is a benefit of the clubfoot, but are there benefits of the regular compared to the clubfoot? I've narrowed by choice to a Vltor, but I'm trying to decide which one to get.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
i fugure i should dd my 0.02 worth on the ace socom stock so i can stop typing the same thing over and over.

ace socom

i had two of them along with a friend who owned one making three.

all three were great stocks to begin with but ended up sharing the same problems.

first problem was that the two slotted screws on top of the stock body would come loose to the point where it felt like the stock was coming apart. blue loctite didnt work too well with these two screws unless it was just wearing loose soo often. even loctite'd it would need adjustments after every shooting sessions.

second problem was the collapsing button/bolt/screw/whatever you want to call it but the thing you depressed in order to release the stock to collapse/extend. the cam inside would not stay true to the install and would spin around the crossbolt and when fired it would force the cam against the indention in which they were to lock against and sear the cam's edge off and pretty much jam/weld the stock body to the buffer tube and the only way to undo this was to disassemble the collapsing mechanism. even after fixing the button the cam was still seared so replacement is a must unless you plan on fixing the stock in a single position with the locking pin included with the stock( at least mine did)

third problem which incorporated both previous problems was the loosening "play adjusting" screws located on the top of the stock body itself must have been wearing into the buffer tube case even though it was loctited it would need adjusting after every shotting session. after disassmbling i found that the combonation of the adjusting screws digging into the buffer tube along with the seared cam pin allowed back and forth rocking of the stock body cause ditches to be dug into the buffer tube.

the only time the stock lived up to it's advertisement was when it was fixed with the provided bolt but even then there was still the loose stock body due to the tiny slotted screw use to keep the stock body in place or to adjust the play.

the rifles that had the stock on them included two carbine rifles that were used hard along with one .50 beowulf.

the two carbines have close to 2-3k maybe 4 through them with the stocks installed and were not babied in any way, the .50 had around 300 through and it seen moderate abuse.

use/abuse included riding in the trunk,thrown occasionally, carried through woods, thrown over fences to access rear secton of my previous land, many range trips, also attempted a few doors with the stock as advertised( wooden cages and old doors laying around at said land was substituted for doors) and lots of shooting. the worst thing probably ever done to this stock other than installing it on a real gun was being thrown around and it didnt hold up one bit.

most of the rounds the stock seen was early on when the stock was first installed and they were at range trips so it we were easy on the stocks when they started showing problems and after that i think we were upset that the stock sucked and just opened up on them.

there have been good reports on these stocks for the most part but who knows, maybe those said good stocks havent seen good use. though im sure ace would have replaced the parts i didnt want to deal with it since it would probably happen again since this wasnt just one stock that had the problems but three. this post is not to question ace's service but ace's socom "door breaching" stock.

again this is my $.02 worth on the stock and if you have different then fine, i could care less cause i would not pay that much for that stock again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]
and to add

i have done quite some damage with my magpul m93r using the back end and its still solid and does not have any play in it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
eklikewhoa, thank you for that detailed write up of your experiences with that stock.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
eklikewhoa, thank you for that detailed write up of your experiences with that stock.

not a problem, thank you for starting this thread
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm trying to decide on a different stock for my Colt SP-1 carbine and have narrowed it down to the Vltor or LMT Crane units. The latter is twice the cost,though. I do like the looks of the Vltor w/rubber butt pad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Clint50:
I'm trying to decide on a different stock for my Colt SP-1 carbine and have narrowed it down to the Vltor or LMT Crane units. The latter is twice the cost,though. I do like the looks of the Vltor w/rubber butt pad.

Try both before you buy. They look similar, but feel very different.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Uhh... I broke my M93B. Yeah, the lugs that engage the buffer tube... gone. Do NOT use a M93 to butt smash stuff on a bayonet range.

I like it and all, but I think i'd put a VLTOR on if I was doing it again. Cheaper and probably more durable with an integrated QD sling point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
How's that for service!?

Originally Posted By Magpul:
Just saw you are in Germany.  Send us your address and we will send the latch to you with instructions on how to install it.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a "pro" here but I just put my Christmas LMT/Crane on my AR...and I LOVE it.     Cheek weld is perfect for me and there is no slack in any part of it.  Outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My choice is now between the LMT/SOPMOD and the Vltor.  I've shouldered the SOPMOD and think it is incredibly comfy, as well has having no rattle at all.

I'm seeing the Vltor as a way to save $100, and still have basically the same thing (no, I don't really care about the storage compartments at all, just the feel and solidness of the stock).  Is the Vltor different enough in feel/comfort to make this line of thinking a mistake?

Also, does the Vltor have any rattle to it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Not_A_Llama] [#16]
Why did I have to click on this thread? Now I *NEED* a CTR.

Is there any chance for a battery storage tube system on it? I'd get one even without, but damn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul, why are you trying to complicate my life?  :)

Can you clarify the "friction" locking mechanism?  Does this mean that the CTR will not be limited by a 4/5/6 position buffer tube?  The only friction locking mechanism I can visualize is that on trekking poles for hiking, and some of them invariably lead to "slippage" the more they are used.  Hopefully this will not be an issue with your new stock, as it looks like yet another addition to my "want" list.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Rich,

How much pressure can a friction mechanism with infinite adjustment hold?  Seems like if you exceed the pressure the friction adjustment can bear it slides closed.  Am I missing something about how the stocks mechanism works?  If not, what is the pressure figure that it can withstand?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the sneak peek Rich!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah, now THAT sounds sturdy!

And if they might happen to be available in flat earth/coyote brown when they hit the market, I will have to procure one!

Thanks Rich!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Tango27:
My choice is now between the LMT/SOPMOD and the Vltor.  I've shouldered the SOPMOD and think it is incredibly comfy, as well has having no rattle at all.

I'm seeing the Vltor as a way to save $100, and still have basically the same thing (no, I don't really care about the storage compartments at all, just the feel and solidness of the stock).  Is the Vltor different enough in feel/comfort to make this line of thinking a mistake?

Also, does the Vltor have any rattle to it?  Thanks.

I just got in a Vltor for my M16 and I think it is very good, with a good fit on the milspec buffer tube.  When it is collapsed there is no jiggle.  When it is open there is a very small amount of play but much less than on a new Colt standard carbine stock (6920) which I have to compare it to.

I think, looking at the buttplate, that it looks a bit weaker when compared to a LMT, and lack of the rubber will make for easier breakage if dropped.

Works for me, though at $107 including QD sling swivel, delivered!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#23]
What happened to the 4 position stocks that Bushmaster used to sell?  I'm looking for that style/look, obviously one that doesn't rattle in all positions.  Do they still make them?

2nd Q: are ANY collapsible stocks strong enough for last resort/bashing?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I just installed a Crane clone stock on my Colt. It fights tight without any slop and really improves the cheek weld. Feels slightly longer,too.
Comparing it to a friend's LMT SOPMOD,they look and feel identical to me.
Clint
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Who offers Crane clones?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ] [#26]
pbs357  BUSHMASTER  still sells the Older Fiber Lite 4p Tele Stock!

I bought one from BRAVO COMPANY pretty cheap and it fits Great!

But Yesterday I order the VLTOR, had some extra cash to blow.

Update

I like the SOPMOD that came with my Defender 2000 M4 14.5
Alot better than My VLTOR

BTW guys with regular Telestocks should consider a SADDLE instead of a VLTOR
they have a good Cheek Weld and storage
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Which is better: the 4-position CAR stock or the 6 position M4 stock? I'm looking for comfort and the shortest possible length when collapsed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Originally Posted By Accomplice:
My thoughts:

Lightest=Best

For that particular rifle, that stock seems to be a good choice. But, that same stock on a 16" bbl upper with a 12" FF railed foreend would cause the rifle to be unbalanced.

I have a 6-pos stock (M4) on a 24" HBAR setup with a FFHG (customizable tube). The entire rifle (with bipod, empty mag, DCH and red dot) weighs 11 lb. It weighs about 12 lb with a full 30rd mag and scope. The balance point (with the stock fully collapsed) believe it or not, is right at the offhand location where you'd grip the handguard normally.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
ace socom
again this is my $.02 worth on the stock and if you have different then fine, i could care less cause i would not pay that much for that stock again.

Man... that sucks. Have you contacted Ace Ltd. about the problem to at least see what their response would be?

I'm curious if they would respond defensively or apologetically in regards to the major problems you seemed to have had with not only one but three of their stocks.

I have one, but I haven't put it through any kind of abuse yet. I had it on one rifle then sold the rifle shortly after and had the stock sitting in a box. I just recently put it on my V-Match.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#30]
I was reading through this and noticed that comments about rigidity or lack of , I would like to make note that if your using a Vltor make sure you get the but pad I didnt and got tangled up in some wire and my rifle went down and busted the end up pretty bad.  It did'nt affect the ability to use the stock or rifle other than it was missing some of the but plate and looked pretty ratty.  I have since replaced it but now I have a butt pad on it.  I doubt it would have happened with the pad as it would have softened the blow and the pad if needed to be replaced is cheaper than the stock.  Just my .05 worth hope it helps.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
ace socom

Man... that sucks. Have you contacted Ace Ltd. about the problem to at least see what their response would be?

I'm curious if they would respond defensively or apologetically in regards to the major problems you seemed to have had with not only one but three of their stocks.

I have one, but I haven't put it through any kind of abuse yet. I had it on one rifle then sold the rifle shortly after and had the stock sitting in a box. I just recently put it on my V-Match.

they offered to replace the cam but that does not fix a poorly designed stock or the crap "adjustment" screws on the stock body.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ] [#32]
I bought the OLD SCHOOL FIBER LITE FROM BRAVO COMPANY it RULED until my VLTOR CAME

Anyone want to buy a nice Fiber Lite? 25plus ship
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#33]
which vltor did you get? I'm considering the fixed because i'm trying to quit wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Black carbeaner!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a side by side comparison of the LMT SOPMOD and the new Choate 16-01-04.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=450372
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Who sells Choate besides the company?
Link Posted: 4/27/2006 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By pbs357:
What happened to the 4 position stocks that Bushmaster used to sell?  I'm looking for that style/look, obviously one that doesn't rattle in all positions.  Do they still make them?

I just purchased a plastic CAR stock from Stag/CMT with a milspec buffer tube (unlike the BM) for $70.
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow, good read...thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you very much for taking the time you did on this post.  I am in process of my first build and the Magpul m93B stock is more likely what i will be going with, possibly with a POF 18" upper as well

Anyway, thanks again.  Very informative.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know when the Magpul CTR stocks will start showing up and what the price will be?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I just got an email from Magpul and was told that they would have test stocks out in the next few weeks, but nothing on when they would be in production.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Originally Posted By KA3B:
I have a side by side comparison of the LMT SOPMOD and the new Choate 16-01-04.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=450372

I was looking at these at the last gun show. I tried to get it on my buffer tube, but the lock pin would not retract far enough for me to get it over the end of my tube to try it. After reading through this thread I am now stuck between the Choate and the ACE Socom.
I'm leaning toward the Choate because it uses the M4 sling positions and I can easily get a QD mount for them. From the looks of it I won't be able to do that with the ACE.

I also have the DD Car QD easy mount (the one that bolts onto the buffer tube without removing it) and I really would like to keep that as well. Anyone know if that is possible? I use 2 slings, an ASP single and a Specter 3 point so having the QD's is a must.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Does the Bushmaster stock have a mil-spec tube?
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#46]
What are the differences between the mil-spec tube and commercial tube?
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I just went back to the vltor with my current setup and i gotta say it's about pefect
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#48]
The OD on the tube is different.  I forget which is bigger (not that it matters) but you can't use Mil-spec collapseable stocks with a commercial tube.  A mil spec tube is avaible for VLTOR for about 30-50 bucks.

Someone else asked what VLTOR.  I have the collapseable club foot.  It's fine.  I'm surprised about two things - one that there is still some rattle, and two, there's no detent or stop with it, so when you go to expand the stock, if you keep pulling, the stock comes off the tube.  It seems silly for such an otherwise good design not to have whatever the feature is on the old fashioned stock that it won't come off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I recently installed a Magpul M93B on my 16" AR.  I'm very happy with it.  I've got to order a loop style ambi single point attach fitting for it, but it's a great fit, rock solid, and even my 9 year old loves it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 1:59:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Ummmm

CTR

UBR

Anyone?

Any update?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top