Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2004 7:18:58 PM EDT
Does anyone?
Link Posted: 2/25/2004 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer is obviously yes.   There was recently an article, I think linked to from here, that certain forces overseas were trying to get as many as possible "for testing and evaluation."

MSTN has already posted pictures of one he sent to OPSINC.

I expect reports to be posted here in a few weeks from ARFCOM members.

-z
Link Posted: 2/25/2004 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you buy ammo yet?
Link Posted: 2/26/2004 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Last I checked, couple days after shot, SAAMI hadnt even spec'd the round and Remington did not have it available for commercial sales.

Additionally nobody has 6.8SPC mags availbale, yet.

MSTN, ARMS, Ops, Barrett, & PRI have most of the 6.8SPC AR type rifles in existance. It's a web myth that 10th Mountain took delivery of 200 of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2004 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a factory 6.8SPC Remington 700 short action.  Not exactly a AR15, if that doesn't answer the question, but I am really pleased with it and it's performance with the 115grn ammo, especially suppressed.  The Remington 6.8SPC is a heck of a good cartridge in a bolt gun for everything from an urban/midrange perimeter gun to a youth deer rifle.

Kel
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington is due to have the ammo out in April, that means May if they stay par for the industry, they could suprise us though. The Barrett M468 is due in June, the kit will include 100rds plus 5 and 10rd mags. There is some talk that standard 5.56 mags will feed the 6.8 but Barrett thinks they won't. I'd love to hear more on this.
Keep your eye on Shotgun News, the April 1st issue will have ads for a value priced 6.8 upper in several configurations. I don't want to mention the maker as they may not have enough made yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It should be interesting and I would bet no existing 5.56mm mags will feed the 6.8mm reliably fully loaded. I would bet you could get about 10 rounds or so in them and they may feed reliably. Never tried it myself so I cannot tell you for sure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was recently an article, I think linked to from here, that certain forces overseas were trying to get as many as possible "for testing and evaluation."
-z
View Quote

Was this the article?:
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=4872[/url]

I just found it the other day- An interesting read!
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I do

[:D]

One of the photos MSTN has posted is of my upper.

Wait a week or 2 and I'll write up a report.  Until then, I'm not saying another word about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm waiting for LMT's 6.8 MRP parts...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm waiting for PRI's 10Rnd 6.8SPC mags, Black Hills or Hornady 6.8SPC Ammo, and Bushmaster or Colt 6.8SPC uppers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll be waiting a long time for those uppers, because neither company plans on making them.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought PRI was already selling the 5 and 10 rd mags?
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Not yet...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Who is offering 10rd mags? I'm thinking of a 18" spr and i really don't need more capacity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You'll be waiting a long time for those uppers, because neither company plans on making them.

-Cap'n
View Quote

Yep, I'm aware of that. As much promise ads I think the caliber has, I wont pay $1200.00+ for an upper from MSTN, SSK, or PRI.  I'm not a fan of the ARMS SIR, so Barrett wont get my money either.

DPMS seems to be improving their quality lately. So maybe if they make one...depending on cost and features. If it's less than $600.00 and has a chrome lined brl I'll seriously consider it.

Sherluck, Model-One, ASA, JT, Oly, ect...no way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sherluck, Model-One, ASA, JT, Oly, ect...no way.
View Quote

Model-One is making uppers in 6.8mm!
(I was shocked myself)- Someone already posted a copy of their ad in the AR discussions board.

BTW- Thanks for your post show write-up on the 6.8- Hearing good things from a cynic is worth a lot more to me than the usual gun rag "It's Fantastic" crap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
There's nothing on there web sight yet.
If I could get 10rd magazines and ammo at will i would buy one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
People want way too much for the uppers that are available: In fact it pisses me off to no extent how much people want to charge for other peoples ideas: 6.8mm, SPR etc...I understand people need to make a living-I'm all for that but it is just greed or highway robbery to charge as much as some people are. It really is not that difficult to make in these configurations/calibers people just want to make it seem like it is some sort of voodoo and info is super secret cool-guy stuff:
anybody with a lathe a few tools and half a brain can do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahab,

Yes, that was the article.

KMFDM,

I think the price differential is due to economics.    If 100,000 of something can be sold, the manufacture process can be optimized and fixed costs amortized over those 100k units.  If only 2000 are built, the R&D and tooling costs will be much higher per unit.

Sure, if you know the spec, any competent machinist can lathe a barrel or built custom parts on a mill.    If you spec out the cost that route, it's going to be really high for one-off parts.

-z
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rest assured, good people.

We will have affordable 6.8 SPC uppers available soon. These will be from White Oak Armament, and built on RRA receivers. They will be TOP quality.

We'll also offer barrel/bolt combos.

Details are in the works.
View Quote

Good news, hope someone comes out with affordable magazines.
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#23]
The machine tooling that is used for the 5.56mm is the same w/the exception of the bolt face, one or two very small parts and the chamber reamers-that was the way it was originally laid out, low switchover cost for existing 5.56mm platforms was one of the ideas that was thought about: I still say highway robbery!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Wes,
Your SPR and 6.8SPC uppers are most likely worth every penny you charge for them. But many of us do not need or want a Compass Lake Brl, and fitted bolt, or Ops brake. The fitted bolt is an issue I dont even claim to understand. A in spec bolt should headspace correctly with an in spec brl, no fitting needed. I'm perfectly happy with a chrome lined brl and a vortex or phantom, and any bolt that drops in and headspaces correctly.  MY comments reguarding the 6.8SPC pricing are based more on that you cant get a [b]basic[/b] 6.8SPC upper from anyone, let alone trusted manufacturers like Bushmaster and Colt. So many of us are left with the choise of paying for features we neither want or need, or just sticking with the 75 - 77Gn 5.56mm

Barrett came close, but I'm not going to pay for an ARMS SIR or flip up front sight. I dont find either feature desirable or anywhere near worth the price.  If they later chose to sell a version with standard handguard and FSB, they will most likely get my money. I would even be willing to pay a slight premium over 5.56mm upper prices.
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]
MSTN:

The comments were not directed at you per se-I have seen quite a few on line and at gunshows also who seem to have the "Super Secret Squirrel" knowledge that's all.

And yes, a lathe and half a brain was used to develop most of these programs.

I applaud your effort to pick up a phone, use some connections to get what you need done. Or spend a couple hours figuring a few minor parts of the system out-good for you. Now, sit down with a few people and draw up a system (Rifle modifications, new cartridge, modified feed system) from scratch for the most part on your own time and dime and then watch someone come along and take the ideas of the whole design team and market them to the public for an large amount before the intended clientiele is even able to get one-that is what is frustrating to me.

I guess that is business? good bad or indifferent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
If I recall correctly, MSTN was very involved with the development of this cartridge.  Hence why they figured out the gas port.  So i dont think they are out of line asked what they are for a 6.8 upper.  Might also be why they have actaully sold some already...as they had the parts from the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#31]
This month's "Front Sight" magazine, the magazine of USPSA (the US Practical Shooting Assn, the US affiliate of IPSC) had an article on 6.8SPC and how it will make the new Major rifle Power Factor (320).    ?I expect competition use of this cartridge to take off.  

Those IPSC guys will do anything for an advantage - and Major PF has a definite scoring advantage when shot from an AR15 platform.  They shoot specialized $2k+ pistols and $1k shotguns already, so another upper for $1.5k is just a drop in the bucket.

-z
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok, the ammo issue is being handled from last I checked....It just takes time. And to clarify to all on this thread I am not the big player on the 6.8, I just help out whenever I am able to on certain aspects.
MSTN, one day I hope to get to your range complex and do some shooting some time next year. I was supposed to go this year but work got in the way again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/11/2004 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top