Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2013 4:24:13 PM EDT
I'm getting a separate 11.5" upper in the works. I would love a switch block, but due to the lack of rail options, I think I want to go with a low profile adjustable gas block.

Which is the best setup? I want low profile enough to fit under a tubular rail like a Seekins BAR, NSR, etc.  But I want it to be simple to manipulate. I mainly want adjustable gas for suppressor use.

Thoughts..?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Syrac ord
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Syrac ord

+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think there is anything that is as easy as the Switchblock other than the WAR reciever. Personally I use an adjustable gas tube with my suppressed 11.5. I had to drill out a small hole in my top rail for the allen wrench, but it works good. I set the screw once and have not moved it since. Works fine.
I would love a Switchblock pinned to an 11.5" Noveske barrel, but my setup works great now so...
There was a gas block that had some slide metering device that could be pushed with a bullet tip through a set of rails. I can't remember the name, someone will help. It looked ok, not too crazy about it enough to buy one.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, But how rapidly can that block be adjusted. If possible, I want a quick suppressed mode setting, and then a quick, unexpressed setting.  I'm not familiar with how one manipulates that block.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a set screw. I do not adjust mine. They get carboned up and do not like to move too well. Set it and forget it. Shoots reliable unsuppressed, and smooth with the can.
Why would you shoot without the can anyhow? I get mabey 5 rounds off and the can is on for the day. Every so often I need to hear a loud gun. It's just rude.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a set screw. I do not adjust mine. They get carboned up and do not like to move too well. Set it and forget it. Shoots reliable unsuppressed, and smooth with the can.
Why would you shoot without the can anyhow? I get mabey 5 rounds off and the can is on for the day. Every so often I need to hear a loud gun. It's just rude.

Really...hmm. Makes me want a switch block. I don't like the idea of not being able to rapidly change from suppressed to unsuppressed.  I don't know how often I would shoot with or without the can because I don't have one yet. I expect the biggest advantage to the can is at night, and on an SBR knight use is probably the most practical. Not saying that shooting guns with cans isn't pleasant, but they are heavier, and I just don't know yet. I really want something that can be adjusted quickly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Syrac.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
go with the wilson combat low pro.........
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Syrac.

I read that the syrac adjusts in 1/4 turn increments.  So it "clicks" if so that can't be too hard to adjust on the fly right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out this one...have never used it but it looks closest to a suppressed/non-suppressed setting like the switchblock.

http://micromoa.com/
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]
How about the Innovative Arms WRA Upper with the two gas settings? It wouldn't interfere with any rail. Palmetto sells them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Syrac.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
SLRrifleworks.com makes a slick one. I have one on my SLR rifle and since you were talking about rails check out their handgaurd. They call in the "intrepid" slim profile that flares out at the tip to rails. But I know their block is adjustable cause when I was ordering my rifle we talked ablout it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SLRrifleworks.com makes a slick one. I have one on my SLR rifle and since you were talking about rails check out their handgaurd. They call in the "intrepid" slim profile that flares out at the tip to rails. But I know their block is adjustable cause when I was ordering my rifle we talked ablout it.

Damn, the place is 3 miles away from me!  I wonder if they have a walk up store front?

BTW, I'm only 2 miles from KAC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Syrac ord

+1

+2
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for the SLR gas block.  Much better than the others I have tried.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I have SLR and Syrac adjustable gas blocks. They both work VERY well, with the same sort of detented settings. The one thing about the Syrac block is that you have to push the unlocking plunger and hold it in while you adjust the block (two hand adjustment). The SLR design uses no plunger (one hand adjustment).
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
So the SLR just uses the detent to secure the setting? How many "clicks" are there per revolution and how many revolutions between  off and wide open?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#19]
SLR Rifleworks or Syrac.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So the SLR just uses the detent to secure the setting? How many "clicks" are there per revolution and how many revolutions between off and wide open?

Yes. The SLR just uses the detent (which seems to be a very positive click). 12 clicks total, 3 clicks per full turn, 4 full turns from off to wide open.

The Syrac is very similar.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Why doesn't anyone make one like these that don't require a tool to adjust?  Something like the newer RA XCR or Colt Competition Rifle?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are some pics showing how simple the SLR gas block is to adjust.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]
All those mentioned are the syrac lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not in love with 2 handed adjustments. But I agree, I'm shocked there isn't a tool-less option. Something much like a low profile switch block
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Syrac was first. I have one of their .750" blocks and two of their .625" blocks.

That being said, SLR is a little cheaper, and it's easier to adjust. I have two of their .750" blocks now, too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All those mentioned are the syrac lol

The SLR is a pretty good copy of the Syrac..

Looks like its also easier to adjust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Hi guys saw the thread and thought I would put in my 2cents. I own a company that makes only very high end AR15 uppers Man O' War Precision Arms and I exclusively use SLR adjustable gas blocks. First and foremost because they work as advertised I have never had a customer complain about one failing nor have any of the ones on my personal rifles had any issues and there customer service is among the best in the industry. The fit and finish is excellent and the 1/3 clicks I like better than the 1/4 clicks because the difference between the two is minimal and 1/3 saves time when I'm making adjustments and when setting it for different loads it's much easier and faster to count out 5 clicks as opposed to 8. A little thing but it makes a difference. The beauty of this gas block is when it was designed the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) technique was applied and made it as simple and as uncomplicated as possible. Also in reference to the question about why isn't there one that is hand adjustable. The answer is they do as a matter of fact Noveske makes one and it's great but it has 2 major draw backs, 1st is price they MSRP for $185, 2nd is that you are stuck with the old conventional look of having a gas block stick out of your hand guard and using a hand guard that’s longer than your gas system is no longer an option which can be a major drawback depending on the purpose of the rifle and how you shoot. Perfect example is a 3 gun rifle. The beauty of this gas block is that you can have a low profile gas block that allows you to have an extended hand guard and still be able to adjust it at your leisure. I hope this helps!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish LaRue would just go ahead and release their PST gas block separately...it's pretty much the perfect solution for a fast switching option like the Switchblock, but in a low-profile design that can actually fit under rails.

ETA: Yes it would obviously require slight design change for standard barrels, but it wouldn't be that hard
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I really wish SLR would come out with a clamp on style. I dont like the stresses a set screw gas block induces on the barrel.

Edit: I emailed, they said they would if there is a demand.

Firemission: email them about a clamp on version
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wish LaRue would just go ahead and release their PST gas block separately...it's pretty much the perfect solution for a fast switching option like the Switchblock, but in a low-profile design that can actually fit under rails.

ETA: Yes it would obviously require slight design change for standard barrels, but it wouldn't be that hard

+1
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I really wish SLR would come out with a clamp on style. I dont like the stresses a set screw gas block induces on the barrel.

Edit: I emailed, they said they would if there is a demand.

Firemission: email them about a clamp on version

Not only clamp-on, but a .625" block for lightweight barrels too!

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anybody know of a clamp on gas block (.750) with a similar detent system to the SLR? I plan on running a suppressor so I want something easily adjustable on the fly for both that and for different ammo loads. I want the clicks so I can use it like a switchblock with more settings and am thinking of adding a mount on my rail to extend a shaft with a knob for tool-less adjustment. All of the others I have seen either require pushing a loc (syrac style) or don't have detent positions, just pressure on the adjustment screw like the seekins.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't know why anyone would ever want a clamp on style gas block over a set screw style gas block. The set screw attachment method using dimples in the barrel is very reliable.

I use set-screw blocks on most of my ARs, but there are a few I'd like to use clamp-ons for.

Quoting this article -> http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/what-makes-an-ar-accurate-whitley-offers-answers/

5. Gas Block: You want a gas block that does not impose pointed stress on the barrel. Clamp-on types that grab all the way around the barrel are excellent. The blocks that are pinned on with tapered pins that wedge against the barrel or the slip on type of block with set screws that push up from underneath (or directly on the barrel) can deform the bore inside of the barrel and can wreck the accuracy of an otherwise great barrel.

I realize that people use set-screw gas blocks on accurate rifles all the time (me included), but if I spend $600+ on an "uber-Match" barrel, I'd like to do all the little things I can do to make sure it's as accurate as it can be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know why anyone would ever want a clamp on style gas block over a set screw style gas block. The set screw attachment method using dimples in the barrel is very reliable.

I use set-screw blocks on most of my ARs, but there are a few I'd like to use clamp-ons for.

Quoting this article -> http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/what-makes-an-ar-accurate-whitley-offers-answers/

5. Gas Block: You want a gas block that does not impose pointed stress on the barrel. Clamp-on types that grab all the way around the barrel are excellent. The blocks that are pinned on with tapered pins that wedge against the barrel or the slip on type of block with set screws that push up from underneath (or directly on the barrel) can deform the bore inside of the barrel and can wreck the accuracy of an otherwise great barrel.

I realize that people use set-screw gas blocks on accurate rifles all the time (me included), but if I spend $600+ on an "uber-Match" barrel, I'd like to do all the little things I can do to make sure it's as accurate as it can be.

will the set screw work if you do not dimple your barrel?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

will the set screw work if you do not dimple your barrel?

Yes, but the popular line of thought is that the dimple(s) will help retain the gas block even if the screws loosen a bit under hard use. A bit of a "mechanical lock".
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Wilson Combat makes an adjustable gas block that has a forward facing adjustment screw, so you can just take a long allen wrench (which I believe is included, mine is still on backorder), and adjust it even with your handguard on.

I'll provide a better review after it finally shows up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Paladin Machine 3 position gas block on the way. I'm putting it on a 24" .260 Remington. With a .936" gas block diameter barrel. I've heard good things about the PM one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top