Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:03:26 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I wanted to get some advice regarding the pricing on an AR15. I have the chance to purchase a smith and Wesson m&p sport ar15 for 826.50 out the door. I was wondering what people thought about this price? Is it a good deal? Is it worth buying? I know everything is marked up because of what is going on; however, I have been told these rifles are selling for around $2100 new online. Then again, I have read online that these rifles were selling around the $600 mark before the talks of a ban. What does everyone think. Is this a good price for this rifle? Or do you think i should wait out this storm and wait for prices to lower (although i doubt the prices will ever be as low as they once were...thoughts?).

I know many people will say for only $200 dollars more you can get something way better. But honestly $200 bucks is a lot of money for me. Honestly, i will just be using this for the range, home defense, maybe some competition if i get into it and mainly for the zombie apocalypse/end of the world survival situation and all the reviews online seem to be stellar and the rifle gets high marks and is labeled as major bang for your buck.

I have always wanted an AR and although I doubt a ban will happen I would like to get one now before another mass shooting happens and they are possibly gone for good.

Anyway, what does everyone think of the price? Is this a good deal? Is it a great deal? Should I definitely hop on this or wait? Thanks in advance for the help!

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Price is excellent.  Firearm fine.  There is lots of reading about the S&W on this forum.

Buy the firearm and start enjoying it.

I have been a huge fan of S&W for many years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The M&P15 sport is an excellent rifle. It was my first AR.
I purchased it for 650 back in february 2012. I had it for about 6 months then I sold it for a BCM.

I don't have any regrets purchasing that rifle, it was real simple and durable.

OP, you can't go wrong with this rifle, but if you will be thinking about upgrading in the future for a better one, I recommend you wait out the storm, or go on the EE and search for a rifle.

HTH.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
For that price I think I would buy it, and I don't need another AR. If you want to know what it's worth in today's market, look at the equipment exchange. If you can take it apart and sell its parts for more than you would spend on the complete rifle then I would say you won't get hurt buying it. If I had that rifle at that price I think I could part it out and make a few dollars, not that I am suggesting you should do that, it just gives you an idea of its street value. In a few months the value may well drop, but I don't think it will drop below the purchase price you listed. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Get in car, drive back to store and promptly purchase.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice everyone! I am leaning towards purchasing it when it gets in. Does anyone else have something to say about the rifle and price of $826? Oh and i am assuming i could modify it (e.g., add attachments) as easy as any other AR, is that corretct?Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just trying to get some more opinions before i pick her up, anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The sport is a great rifle.  It just lacks the forward assist and dust cover.  If your just using it for range use and maybe hunting it would be just fine.  I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them.  And yes you can always upgrade it just like any other AR.  When your looking for an upgrade you could always just buy a new upper.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think the Sport version is selling for 2100 dollars but still a good buy right now at that price
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think the Sport version is selling for 2100 dollars but still a good buy right now at that price

Really ? I'd wait until things calm down. $2100.00 would put together a much nicer AR than just a basic gun, The slick side, sport uppers were less than a standard upper before the panic set in and it does somewhat limit it to a range gun where keeping the action clean shouldn't be an issue. I have a bull barreled one that is strictly a shooter / range gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy it, put a few hundred rounds through it and let us know what you think.
Just FYI.....that's a good price in today's climate but the M&P is not selling for anywhere near $2,100 on line. At least not what I've seen.
There was a 2-3 week stretch (early Jan.) when it might have gone for that much on GB but not now.
It's a good rifle at a good price.....buy it!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, the rifle is a good one.  It has everything you need for a shooter that will last you until YOU will be the one knowing if you need something better or not.  

I assume this is the model with the melonited 5r 1:8 twist barrel?  It is a great barrel for the money even at $826.  I would take that barrel over any chromelined barred any day of the week for any application.  Unless of course the application was a lightweight project.. then I would want the same type of barrel in a LW profile.

I think that model comes with a commercial spec receiver extension, that is probably the only "part" I would change personally just because I tend to find milspec RE's and stocks fit together better.  

I would prefer a midlength gas system over the carbine but the carbine length is tried and true and as you get more experienced with the platform you can judge for yourself if you want to try a midlength or do any of the options out there for adjusting your gas/felt recoil/perceived recoil.

I personally think the bubble is about to pop, no bans are coming, and in about a month or so prices are going to plummet as people realize they spent WAAAY to much on something that is going to be readily available for awhile yet and that might be the time to buy.  Prices only can come down from here... wait until they stabilize again and then buy.

But if you HAVE to have one NOW... and trust me I understand that feeling, just completely impulse bought another pistol I have no use for other than... ooo shiny... then $826 isn't getting raped too bad and you won't be kicking yourself that much 6 months down the road.

Remember to post pics and read all the forum rules and welcome again

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the help! You said it's a good price in today's climate, so does that mean to get a better price I should wait a little? Or do you think this will be the best price for quite some time to come? In other words, do you think prices will be going down any time soon or is this climate here to stay and I should go through with this purchase because I won't find a better deal for a long time to come? Sorry for the long string of questions, I just want to get the most information and opinions on the topic as possible. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really ? I'd wait until things calm down. $2100.00 would put together a much nicer AR than just a basic gun, The slick side, sport uppers were less than a standard upper before the panic set in and it does somewhat limit it to a range gun where keeping the action clean shouldn't be an issue. I have a bull barreled one that is strictly a shooter / range gun.

I was referring to the OP mention that these guns are selling for $2100, I don't think the sports are going for that much. However, I think that $830 OTD is a decent price given the current state of the market.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, the rifle is a good one.  It has everything you need for a shooter that will last you until YOU will be the one knowing if you need something better or not.  

I assume this is the model with the melonited 5r 1:8 twist barrel?  It is a great barrel for the money even at $826.  I would take that barrel over any chromelined barred any day of the week for any application.  Unless of course the application was a lightweight project.. then I would want the same type of barrel in a LW profile.

I think that model comes with a commercial spec receiver extension, that is probably the only "part" I would change personally just because I tend to find milspec RE's and stocks fit together better.  

I would prefer a midlength gas system over the carbine but the carbine length is tried and true and as you get more experienced with the platform you can judge for yourself if you want to try a midlength or do any of the options out there for adjusting your gas/felt recoil/perceived recoil.

I personally think the bubble is about to pop, no bans are coming, and in about a month or so prices are going to plummet as people realize they spent WAAAY to much on something that is going to be readily available for awhile yet and that might be the time to buy.  Prices only can come down from here... wait until they stabilize again and then buy.

But if you HAVE to have one NOW... and trust me I understand that feeling, just completely impulse bought another pistol I have no use for other than... ooo shiny... then $826 isn't getting raped too bad and you won't be kicking yourself that much 6 months down the road.

Remember to post pics and read all the forum rules and welcome again

Thank you. This, and along with everyone else, is great advice. I dunno if I can wait 6 months; however, I don't like getting raped to any degree haha. I could possibly wait a little bit though, any thoughts that prices will drop sooner than 6 months?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you for the help! You said it's a good price in today's climate, so does that mean to get a better price I should wait a little? Or do you think this will be the best price for quite some time to come? In other words, do you think prices will be going down any time soon or is this climate here to stay and I should go through with this purchase because I won't find a better deal for a long time to come? Sorry for the long string of questions, I just want to get the most information and opinions on the topic as possible. Thanks!

Its quite alright...let me tell you something...the guys on this forum are truly amazing and they will tell you straight up what you need to hear.
I come here every day and read, read, read and occasionally ask questions. If you are going to get into AR's I would suggest you doing the same thing. This is NOT like other forums where "experienced" people are going to make fun of you.....there are no (well, almost no) stupid questions on AR-15.com.
Great place for Noobs like you and me..

To answer your question.... IMHO prices are going to continue to drop, quite possibly plummet. If you can wait it might not be a bad idea. You might save a couple hundred bucks. BUT....if you are like a lot of us and you just want the damn rifle then go buy it.
As someone stated earlier....no matter what happens, at that price you won't be kicking yourself in the butt too bad.
Go get the damn rifle and join the club of people that spend waaaaay too much time and money on necessary toys.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I really think prices are going to drop... HARD within the next month... go look at the Equipment exchange there... the orange button on your top right.  

Go back as far as you can.. hopefully back to November if they let you.... now compare those prices to two weeks ago... the same rifle that would sell for $1000 in November would sell for $2500 two weeks ago, and thats not because the manufacturers raised prices (although some did ) but its because of the panic buying... people scooping up the supply at retail so fast the only way you could get a rifle was from the same guy who just bought the entire stock.  That same guy who backordered the same thing at 5 different places and then canceled his order at 4 of them when one order came through.  Thus we have drain on the supply plus an artificial drain on the supply.

Now look at the prices and ads now.  Prices have come down a bit... but they aren't moving.  Nothing is selling.  People have realized that the AWB isn't going to pass... they just don't have the votes to do it.  People either spent all of their money or they have been sitting here saying "I ain't paying that much" and just waiting... like me

Prices will continue to drop.  People will slowly stop buying up all of the supply.  Pretty soon the stores will be stocking as normal and the guys who bought all of the supply will try and unload... and then we will be like... well why would I buy it from you when I can just buy it at retail again?  So they will price below retail.  And then we will be like, well why buy it from you when I can buy it from these other 5 guys trying to unload?  And they will drop it further.

Economics man.  Its not black magic.  Simple Supply and Demand.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Great post  durabo.....I couldn't agree more.

I was in my LGS the week after Newtown and a guy in front of me bought 12 AR's and 24 extra mags....his order was right at $25,000. He paid with a CC.
The kid behind the counter made a comment about him building an army and the guy said "son, these rifles wont come out of the box until someone pays
me twice what I just paid".
Now, granted he has probably sold all of those by now but those days are over in my opinion. Anybody buying like that now is likely going to get stuck with some of it at least.

I also thought.....isnt against the law to purchase firearms with the sole purpose of making a profit on them if you don't have a license?
Maybe someone can enlighten me on how that reads.

Sorry OP.....I have totally hijacked your post.

Have you bought that M&P rifle yet? LOL!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with durabo...barring any more psychos that have an incident.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
agreed, though an AWB is not likely nationally, some states are trying to pass a statewide AWB.  I live in Maryland and O'Malley is pushing for an AWB here and it will likely pass, along with some of the strictest gun laws in the country(fingerprints for handguns...ridiculous)

I like the price, my brother got one for just under 1k a few months back and loves it.  I would say in regards to the AWB, it depends on the state you live in.  If it were me, I'd be buying it right away
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
$826 is a reasonable price for that rifle, pre or post Sandy Hook.

Great price?  No, but it is reasonable, especially OTD.  Around here, that'd be about $780 before tax.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
depending on your location you can find better rifles for the same price.  A local place to me has Stag and Troy come in frequently and selling at the 800-900 range.  I have a M&P15OR, its a great rifle, however the features the sport is lacking makes a difference to me.  Spend some time and do your searching.  Normal prices are out there but you have to be willing to look and network.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:24:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
depending on your location you can find better rifles for the same price.  A local place to me has Stag and Troy come in frequently and selling at the 800-900 range.  I have a M&P15OR, its a great rifle, however the features the sport is lacking makes a difference to me.  Spend some time and do your searching.  Normal prices are out there but you have to be willing to look and network.

To be honest I think the Sport has better features than the OR... But that's just me
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]
OP. Go pick the rifle up. No one can predict the future. It's not a bad price at all for these times and I don't think you're going to see it at $600 again any time soon. In fact, it was hard to find at $600 when that was a good price. They usually went for $650 - $699.

You're over thinking this. If you don't go get it, I'm confident someone else will and make your mind up for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where are you getting Troy carbines for $800-$900?  When was the last time they had one in stock for that price?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you getting Troy carbines for $800-$900?  When was the last time they had one in stock for that price?

I live near atlanta. The Troy is going out the door for just around 1150. I didn't mean to include Troy in that price range but I do know they have them in stock as of today.  Also, I have recently purchased a Stag2 for just at 900 out the door.  My point was to talk with people that is in his area and might know of places that sell local only.  If the OP is close by I will give him the store info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, go and buy the rifle.  While there maybe a price drop in the future, and I too think there will be one, but what if another psycho goes and shoots and kills more people.  Then the market is going to sky rocket again and more laws could be passed limiting your chance at owning an AR.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Heck yea, go pick that thing up! That rifle is going for $1500 here in AZ!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Great price.  Pick me up one too!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd buy it.

My friend had one and it ran like a top.

ETA: Welcome to Arfcom!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the information and input guys!

I just realized they recently changed the barrel and I am kind of bummed about it. What if this is not the model with the melonited 5r 1:8 twist barrel, should I still get it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Just FYI its a milspec extension/stock.

I would buy it at that price.

I have owned one and regret selling it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#32]
my bro-in-law paid 1,000 for the scope ready m&p ar-15. for 800-ish its a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
What if it is not the melonited 5r 1:8 twist barrel, does that make a difference?
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your input. Everyone was super helpful! I decided not to buy this rifle because it does not come with the 1/8 twist, it comes with a 1/9 twist. I felt like all my research was based on the 1/8 twist model and I feel like the sport may no  longer be as good of a deal as it once was. Does anyone have any recommendations for a rifle in the same price range that is as good as the sport?
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
There is nothing wrong with a 1/9 twist barrel unless your planning on shooting 69gr and up bullet weights. I have a 1/9 twist RRA that has been flawless with 55 snd 62gr bullets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to know when $826 was expensive for an AR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Are people seriously saying that's a great price before and during panic? lol. OP if  you don't have an AR, want one asap just in case, and that's all you can afford, then by all means. But, those things were as you said $600 tops before the panic. I think BudsPoliceSupply had'em for maybe $499 at one point.

If you can hold out and think you're safe. I'd just dish out the extra money to buy a complete upper and lower you are sure you're for. It'll save you some hassle doing it that way IMO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Dollar cost average.  Buy one now seeing as you probably don't have one, then buy another AR later when prices come down!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top