BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/2/2013 1:53:12 PM EDT
Well, after finishing a build that took the better part of two months, I finally went to the range to break her in.  Only to leave 20 mins later due to my upper being completely jammed.

I brought 90 rounds with me.  Two in pmags and one in a e-lander mag.  The first 30 were from a pmag and it worked flawlessly.  I decided to test the e-lander mag to see if there were any problems with seating… I got about two or three rounds in then my next round through felt wrong after I fired it… It felt "sloppy" or "heavy"…. I had a casing wedged sideways in the ejection port.  Once it was out and the bolt closed, I tried pulling back to no avail…  I got home and finally got the BGC out and heres what I found.

I found that the teeth were what was keeping me from getting it out.

Here's the firing pin...

Here's the only real damage I could see in terms of the upper.  Not sure how this will affect function:

So what the hell could've caused this?  The first 30 rounds went through like butter.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the mag or if it was a faulty/shitty BCG… Anyone see anything like this?

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming that was a new bolt?

Looks like it wasnt heat treated properly, or it was defective in some other way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
damn.  

that doesn't look like overpressured rounds... but what was the ammo type?

Looks to me like shitty ass bolt material/heat treat, who the hell made that crap bolt?  If you bought it new someone owes you a free bolt and some free crap to make up for it.

ETA... that firing pin looks wonky too... what are all those scratches from?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm assuming that was a new bolt?

Looks like it wasnt heat treated properly, or it was defective in some other way.

This

Good luck finding a bolt anytime soon, how's the carrier look?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bolts are easier to find than anything else right now.
Look down, or put a cleaning rod down your barrel and make sure there isn't a lodged bullet in there.
I have never seen a bolt come apart like that.
Is it Gold in color?
Weird.
PS. did I make it in before anybody said OOB discharge?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Either something with the ammunition, or a buying panic, shoddily manufactured, possibly (probably) wrong material, poorly heat treated, not MPI'ed bolt, pushed out the door with inadequate QA/QC.  

My money's on the latter, frankly - but FWIW, I doubt the magazines had anything to do with it.  

Do you have the fired case that caused this?  

Could you take a photo of what remains of the bolt face around the firing pin hole?  

Both of those things would be really helpful in determining cause of failure.  

Hope you kept your ammunition boxes?  You will want to contact the manufacturer of the bolt as well as that of the ammunition.  Have the lot number of the ammunition available.  Someone owes you a bolt and cam pin minimum.  Eventually people will want to know who those manufacturers are, but it might be advisable not to post them until after you've contacted them.

I am not, however, into protectionism.  If they take care of you, then post their identity, along with your positive experience.  None of this "well everyone can screw up, if they take care of you keep it hush hush," everyone knows that once in a while a lemon gets out.  But it can still be important to know who takes care of you when one does slip out versus who tells you to pound sand.  Also works into frequency analysis for anyone that's doing it formally or informally.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Augee has some good points.
I hope we don't hear you say that it was a used bolt assembly and a "friends" reloads.
If so, consider it an expensive lesson.
My first guess would be "bullet set-back."
You stated you built the rifle.
Maybe it wasn't headspaced, or there was a rough feed ramp that caused the bullet to be pushed, or "set-back" into
the casing, allowing the bolt to close and fire the round.
At this point, without any other info, it is all guessing.
Hope you were ok.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Google Say:

jarmstrong1029  [Member]
12/27/2012 9:15:44 PM AKST
Quoted:
Picked up a couple of M16 BCG's from R-Guns for $115 each a few minutes ago.

As did I. Hopefully, they are indeed in stock and can get sent out to us...
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammo was Independance 5.56 55 grain bought at Dick's.  The BCG was new bought off of gunbroker back in December…  And no Alaska, it's not an Rguns BCG, I have multiple builds and haven't heard a word from Rguns.  I honestly cant think of anything that would cause this other than faulty parts…  The Carrier group looks fine.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ammo was Independance 5.56 55 grain bought at Dick's.  The BCG was new bought off of gunbroker…  And no Alaska, it's not an Rguns BCG.  

Bummer.  No brand or dealer to go back on then, I assume.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ammo was Independance 5.56 55 grain bought at Dick's.  The BCG was new bought off of gunbroker…  And no Alaska, it's not an Rguns BCG.  

Who made it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought it from an FFL who has a gun shop. I will be sending them an email with the pictures attached to see what they say.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who made it?

This.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Supposedly…. it was a colt…  I doubted that it was once I received it, though.  The material looked good and the quality was there but I didnt see the markings to prove it was.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a bad Bolt and no way a mag issue.

Hopefully the barrel extension is not damaged.

Get a new quality bolt and try it again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's a bad Bolt and no way a mag issue.

Hopefully the barrel extension is not damaged.

Get a new quality bolt and try it again.

My thoughts as well.  I checked the barrel extension and really cant see any damage. I've been thinking about taking it to a gunsmith to inspect.  Going to look for a new bolt and firing pin and see how things turn out.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

check out this thread it looks like the same issue

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/601696_my_bolt_exploded_what_did_I_do_______.html

I sent him an IM. If the seller is the same, we may have found the issue...

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I am glad to hear that your face and tickle pins are all still intact!

That is an ugly one, I am surprised that your upper wasn't more damaged...
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am not, however, into protectionism.  If they take care of you, then post their identity, along with your positive experience.  None of this "well everyone can screw up, if they take care of you keep it hush hush," everyone knows that once in a while a lemon gets out.  But it can still be important to know who takes care of you when one does slip out versus who tells you to pound sand.  Also works into frequency analysis for anyone that's doing it formally or informally.  

~Augee

It can also be a tremendous help to others that may also be using the same parts, just silently waiting for a near-face explosion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
check out this thread it looks like the same issue

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/601696_my_bolt_exploded_what_did_I_do_______.html

I sent him an IM. If the seller is the same, we may have found the issue...  

I read that thread earlier today, and was thinking the same thing, and when the OP said he got it on Gunbroker, well it starts to add up.
OP, if this is the same dealer as the other broken bolt, please let us know in this thread, so more members don't get stung.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This is why people need to do research before panic buying. Isn't this the second one in three days?

Nevermind. Links were posted before I replied.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Supposedly…. it was a colt…  I doubted that it was once I received it, though.  The material looked good and the quality was there but I didnt see the markings to prove it was.

Don't colt bolts have a "C" stamp on them?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt "carriers" are stamped with a "C", but the bolt should be marked "MPC"....at least all four of mine are.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.....ETA... that firing pin looks wonky too... what are all those scratches from?

Well, it was all up inside that bolt that just exploded, so that may have had a negative effect on the firing pins finish.
Looking at that cam pin I'd have expected more firing pin damage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt "carriers" are stamped with a "C", but the bolt should be marked "MPC"....at least all four of mine are.

Colt Bolt:

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt Bolt:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/reload40s/IMG_15821.jpg

So, is this a correction to my post?
That's the first I've seen with the "T" in the stamp....all of mine are just marked "MPC".
Are mine counterfeit?....Should I send them back?

....just kidding, I know mine are original Colt parts, so the "MPC" mark is also correct....as it was for decades.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]
going to be writing a letter to the seller tomorrow…. And then looking for a new bolt assembly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt Bolt:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/reload40s/IMG_15821.jpg

So, is this a correction to my post?

That's the first I've seen with the "T" in the stamp....all of mine are just marked "MPC".

Are mine counterfeit?....Should I send them back?
....just kidding, I know mine are original Colt parts, so the "MPC" mark is also correct....as it was for decades.

You and your counterfeit parts can go to $#%!  

Colt Bolts have a lot of different markings on them. The point to be made is that I have never seen one without any kind of MPC, MPTC, MPJC on them. The rumor is that the extra letter in between "MP" and "C" is for the date of manufacture.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Colt Bolts have a lot of different markings on them. The point to be made is that I have never seen one without any kind of MPC, MPTC, MPJC on them. The rumor is that the extra letter in between "MP" and "C" is for the date of manufacture.

Pull them panties back up there cowboy, no need to get all pissy here in public.
I was just letting him know that the "C" he was curious about was on the carrier, and the bolt would be marked differently...in my case "MPC", all four of them. (Like they have been marked for decades.)
Your picture with the simple statement "Colt bolt" appeared to dispute what I had posted, that's all.
And it certainly didn't help to clarify the confusion, now did it?
Now, it would have been helpful if you had posted your picture and said..."and some are marked "MPTC".
See, that would have been helpful, and not seemed snitty at all. And it would have been easy to do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pull them panties back up there cowboy, no need to get all pissy here in public.

I was just letting him know that the "C" he was curious about was on the carrier, and the bolt would be marked differently...in my case "MPC", all four of them. (Like they have been marked for decades.)

Your picture with the simple statement "Colt bolt" appeared to dispute what I had posted, that's all.

And it certainly didn't help to clarify the confusion, now did it?

Now, it would have been helpful if you had posted your picture and said..."and some are marked "MPTC".

See, that would have been helpful, and not seemed snitty at all. And it would have been easy to do.

Seriously, I thought we were f'ing around with each other, that's what the wink was for,

Just so we are crystal clear, I wasn't trying to dispute your bolt, I
was confirming that Colt Bolts have stamps and the only one I own is in the
picture. As far as I know there are a lot more "MPC" bolts than the
four-letter versions.

I never get snitty with people over things like this, if you start talkin about chili without beans though...

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Seriously, I thought we were f'ing around with each other, that's what the wink was for,

Just so we are crystal clear, I wasn't trying to dispute your bolt, I was confirming that Colt Bolts have stamps and the only one I own is in the picture. As far as I know there are a lot more "MPC" bolts than the four-letter versions.

I never get snitty with people over things like this, if you start talkin about chili without beans though...

Naah, we're good. I apparently get a bit edgy whenever I have the flu..........(more Jim Beam will probably fix that though)
The MPC are the only ones I'm personally familiar with, but mine are a bit older, so that may be why.
I am interested in the outcome of this thread though, as well as the other one, so I'll try to behave and not get it locked....or myself banned.

But I am stealing the picture.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Now I'm curious. I've never seen these markings on most of my bolts. And they are all Colt. I have seen MP on the carrier but that's it. Now I have to disassemble a clean rifle
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Who is the Gun Broker seller of these bolts?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so we are crystal clear, I wasn't trying to dispute your bolt, I was confirming that Colt Bolts have stamps and the only one I own is in the picture. As far as I know there are a lot more "MPC" bolts than the four-letter versions.

Naah, we're good. I apparently get a bit edgy whenever I have the flu..........(more Jim Beam will probably fix that though)
The MPC are the only ones I'm personally familiar with, but mine are a bit older, so that may be why.
I am interested in the outcome of this thread though, as well as the other one, so I'll try to behave and not get it locked....or myself banned.

But I am stealing the picture.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/reload40s/Notsureifserious_zpsec957e40.jpg

OHHHH shittt.. did you guys just become best friends?!

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OHHHH shittt.. did you guys just become best friends?!

Maybe.
But it's probably more the case that I can sometimes recognize when I'm being a dickhead.
So please don't get me started again.

This is what we need to know. There could be several more of these in circulation right here on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#39]
The only company I know of that makes a Gold Color BCG is DPMS. Or the Seller could have wipped these up himself.
There are a few good companies that make BCG's, my favorite is Bravo Company.
Here is the listed features from Bravo;

Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel
HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Shot Peened Bolt
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
BCM Extractor Spring
Black Extractor Insert
Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

HPT and MPI are stamped on the BCG and it's the differance between a bolt that breaks in short order or one that will last for thousands of rounds. Pat Rogers from EAG training has some of these go over 40,000 rounds with only Extractor, Extractor spring, and ring changes. These are normal wear items. He has run into bolt breakage. It can happen after alot of rounds usually at the "Hole" in the side of the bolt or a lug or two breaking off.
What we are seeing here is a complete faliure from bad heat treating.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok, as a relatively new user of the AR platform, how close did the OP really come to serious injury?   Was this a near death experience, or is this just a fuck me I'm out a hundred bucks on a shitty bolt that some douchebag on GB passed off as a Colt bolt kind of moment?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, as a relatively new user of the AR platform, how close did the OP really come to serious injury?   Was this a near death experience, or is this just a fuck me I'm out a hundred bucks on a shitty bolt that some douchebag on GB passed off as a Colt bolt kind of moment?

Assuming its a bolt failure and not ammo related, which seems to be the case, well not exactly "safe", mostly just an expensive lesson on quality parts. Bolts break, but the bullet and pressure made it out the barrel, so that energy didn't get directed into killing him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming its a bolt failure and not ammo related, which seems to be the case, well not exactly "safe", mostly just an expensive lesson on quality parts. Bolts break, but the bullet and pressure made it out the barrel, so that energy didn't get directed into killing him.

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#44]
With all the panic buying, and sellers looking to make as much money as possible before everything subsides,
I think we will be seeing a lot of "accidents" like this soon.
Unscrupulous people looking to make a buck are likely selling anything on hand
and passing it off as new, or Tier One to make some money.
Without the proper knowledge, or ability to check the part over,
accidents are likely.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

With all the panic buying, and sellers looking to make as much money as possible before everything subsides,

accidents are likely.

Thats the thing, I tore the BCG down completely and inspected it before going to the range to test fire.  Everything seemed to be in order when looking at it.  I guess once it was put through a good amount of force, it completely crumbled.  I'm writing the seller today and going to see what kind of response I get.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
accidents are likely.

Thats the thing, I tore the BCG down completely and inspected it before going to the range to test fire.  Everything seemed to be in order when looking at it.  I guess once it was put through a good amount of force, it completely crumbled.  I'm writing the seller today and going to see what kind of response I get.    

Dude. You should stop dicking around here with the sellers name. This isn't a scratch on a brass deflector or upper to lower reciever wiggle.  People need to know if they have bought from this guy or not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#47]
When did you check headspace on your new bolt, OP?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I think everyone is still waiting for the answer to ...........................

WHO SOLD IT?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
going to be writing a letter to the seller tomorrow…. And then looking for a new bolt assembly.

Hopefully the seller does the right thing by you - especially if he mis represented the bolt as being a Colt.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top