Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:53:22 AM EDT
My brother got a new Stag Model 2L for a wedding present from his wife.  We went out shooting on Friday and after a couple hundred rounds we noticed it was jamming quite a bit - decided to strip it in the back of his SUV and found that cam pin had sheered right in half.  Didn't think to take pictures at the time.

When he got the gun he cleaned it once and shot maybe 50 rounds and then cleaned and lubed it again before Friday.  Has anyone else seen this happen?  Cam pins are cheap enough so he's not too worried about getting another, but should he be sending the rifle back to stag for a replacement?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a replacement cam pin or see if stag will send  u one.  I would not send the rifle in. it will be gone for at least a couple weeks while they repair. It would be quicker to do it yourself. As always, your rifle, do as you please, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I would at least call them. They should send out a replacement.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brother got a new Stag Model 2L for a wedding present from his wife.  We went out shooting on Friday and after a couple hundred rounds we noticed it was jamming quite a bit - decided to strip it in the back of his SUV and found that cam pin had sheered right in half.  Didn't think to take pictures at the time.

When he got the gun he cleaned it once and shot maybe 50 rounds and then cleaned and lubed it again before Friday.  Has anyone else seen this happen?  Cam pins are cheap enough so he's not too worried about getting another, but should he be sending the rifle back to stag for a replacement?

Happend to me to... Stag claimed this was due to a bad batch of meterial.. Call them like I did. They will replace it free of charge and no hassle what so ever.. They sent me 3.. After replacing havnt had another break.. And it's been 1,500 rounds since then.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cam pins are probably a batch tested part so a weak one might show up on rare occasion..
I wouldn't send the whole rifle back for a cam pin break (unless instructed by Stag) but I would take a pic and let Stag know about it.
Expect a pin or two in the mail and maybe some swag.

In the meantime, to keep shooting, pick up a pin locally.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks - that is exactly the info I was looking for.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Heard of it happening and seen pics of it, never saw it first hand though.  Not something that happens very often, but it does happen.  A firearm is a mechanical device that works under Murphy's principle.  It can break, it will break and generally it will break when you don't want it to.

Like others said, have him contact Stag and let them know the problem.  They (should) send him a new one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Good link, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happend to me to... Stag claimed this was due to a bad batch of meterial..

So we can expect to hear about a lot more of this unless stag recalls guns & uppers manufactured during the time frame they received/used this "batch"
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happend to me to... Stag claimed this was due to a bad batch of meterial..

So we can expect to hear about a lot more of this unless stag recalls guns & uppers manufactured during the time frame they received/used this "batch"

No reason to recall uppers or complete rifles... It's just the cam pins.. Bad heat treat.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top