Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:01:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking I want to try one of these out. I've seen offerings from KAC, and Gear Sector. Are there others? Is there anything that makes one better then the other?
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue makes some as well. Though they don't mount with a screw and are held in place by their index clips.

I personally was looking at modifying either the Larue or buying (I can't recall who makes it) for my Troy Alpha rail as I don't want it on a small rail section, I want it fastened straight to the tube itself.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
All is personal preference. But check out the hand stops from Ergo, Gear Sector, IWC, KAC, LaRue, and Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If it matters it will be on the KAC M4 rail.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You can take a look at LaRue's offerings:
LaRue Handstops
LaRue Index Clips & Handstops
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have LT Handstops and like them a lot.  I just use one at the 9 oclock position.  I really like the look of IWC's handstop.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I decided to switch to handstops from vertical grips a while ago. I couldn't pay for the KAC or gear sector ones (although they look really nice), and I didn't like how the Larue are held on by clips, so I cut down and sanded the Magpul RVG. It came out pretty nice, and works really well. It is comfortable and I really like it better than vertical grips.

Crappy cell pics:

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Larue handstops, but I wish the curve was a little more severe. The Gear Sector handstop is sturdy as hell, but it has more material than it really needs, and their products also left marks on my rails from the threaded portion of the screw shank that secured them. I have a couple from KAC on the way, which I think will do nicely.

I also think that the MI stops look nice, and I have handled the Ergo handstops, which were a little too long, but are inexpensive and could easily be cut or shaped to user preference.

The Noveske K9 looked kind of gimmicky for normal use, but if you like the meat tenderizer look, check that out too. It would be magical against barricades like it was designed for, but I haven't shot in a comp in a couple of years, so I have no use for it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My vertical grips are my hand stops.

The great thing I like about the hand stops they do not take up that much space.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Larue. I says if you do not want to use their clips you can use other locking panels. My KAC panels seem to have a bit of movement to them. So I'm not sure how well they would work. Just saw the magpul option. Do you have to use the whole kit? I only want the hand stop not the panels that go with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really like the Larue. I says if you do not want to use their clips you can use other locking panels. My KAC panels seem to have a bit of movement to them. So I'm not sure how well they would work. Just saw the magpul option. Do you have to use the whole kit? I only want the hand stop not the panels that go with it.

The Larue handstops fit very snug to all the rails I've ever used. The clips/rail covers just keep it from sliding forward or backwards along the rail. It shouldn't matter if the covers move a bit as long as they don't slide.

I've used Larue and Gear Sector. The Larues are a lot bigger, both in size and rail-space used, which is nice for full-size guns. I have a Gear Sector on my SBR because they're smaller and I just need something to keep from shooting my hand off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive been eyeing both the Noveske K9 7.62 and the Gear Sector.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Larue handstops fit very snug to all the rails I've ever used. The clips/rail covers just keep it from sliding forward or backwards along the rail. It shouldn't matter if the covers move a bit as long as they don't slide.

I've used Larue and Gear Sector. The Larues are a lot bigger, both in size and rail-space used, which is nice for full-size guns. I have a Gear Sector on my SBR because they're smaller and I just need something to keep from shooting my hand off.

I'm wanting to use it as a reference point on my SBR (aka Pistol until they feel like sending my stamp back) with the KAC panels on each end. The Gear Sector is the second one of my list now. Just need to decide if its worth 60 bucks for that little chunk of alum. or spend 30 on two Larue stops.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just need to decide if its worth 60 bucks for that little chunk of alum. or spend 30 on two Larue stops.

I didn't realize how expensive Gear Sector hand stops were. I got one on the EE for about $25. It looks like they're about $45 new, but at that price, I'd go with a used one or something else, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I found the gear sector to be too small for my hand.

Aluminum will heat up when connected to the rail.

I like the larue hand stop!
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I really haven't thought about getting a hand stop but this thread has me thinking. I have a gas block at the end of my hand guard. I will be moving to a quad rail. If I slide too far forward, I'm going to blister my left hand on the gas block. Sounds like a hand stop is designed to help me avoid this. Or, is that just an added bonus?
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just need to decide if its worth 60 bucks for that little chunk of alum. or spend 30 on two Larue stops.

I didn't realize how expensive Gear Sector hand stops were. I got one on the EE for about $25. It looks like they're about $45 new, but at that price, I'd go with a used one or something else, IMO.

Yeah i was wrong they are about 50 not 60 including shipping. I just tried to look for a used one had no luck. Ill buy yours for 25 shipped
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]

I have the gear sector handstop and it's comfy.

That top one looks like it wants to cut you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Larue with the clips feel really nice.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]

The Noveske is NOT a handstop. Its a barricade support. Its meant to be jammed into something when you want a stable firing position. Thats why it has teeth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/sanchomaul/9abe3559.jpg

I dont under stand why they dont sell a hand stop and two clips option.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use mine as actual stops. That is to say, it stops my hand from moving any further forward on the rail. This is especially useful on my SBR.

Gear Sector on Centurion rails with Magpul XTM panels.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/6873100316_67033eaaa4_b.jpg

On my 14.5" middy. I have now reversed the stop in the same place. The stop makes sure that my hand stops in the correct position to reach the light switch.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3504/5819723942_42139ba14c_b.jpg

IWC makes stops for MOE handguards. They now make one for rails, but I don't have one yet.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3124/5867619405_7c186d1af8_b.jpg

I have some more shots where I used them to push against. I'll have to find them.

That method would probably work better for me on my SBR I just want a reference point whether it be forward or aft of my hand. Forwards sounds good to stop from touching my suppressor, but then behind sounds good also as a contact point to help pull the rifle back into my shoulder some. I need to just get one and play around with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your eye on the EE. The set comes with two handstops, I'm sure some people might not need the extra.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for the Larue...

I use them on two of my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your eye on the EE. The set comes with two handstops, I'm sure some people might not need the extra.

what would you suggest looking under? I searched in AR Accessories and MISC. and had no luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone running the Larue with KAC panels?
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I run mine using ladder rails

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I like my KAC stop.  It is solid and the machining is good.  I haven't used the others, so I can't comment on them.  Here is mine:

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Midwest makes them as well

Here
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#30]
so do you guys push forward with the hand stop or pull back on it??i like to pull back on my vfg so i can get a really nice shoulder wield..but it looks like you can setup the handstop to pull back on it too..the larues look nice if i ever bought one..
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Pull back just like a vfg with less weight and the same ammount of purchase!
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pull back just like a vfg with less weight and the same ammount of purchase!

thanks i thought so looks like a great idea maybe i might get the larue hand stop instead of a magpul afg..but right now im satisfied with my tapco vfg
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]

That one looks huge ( I know, thats what she said.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
looked at the afg on my other upper when i got home. has anyone ever cut on off right where the angle starts by the front?

I know the screw that compresses the plastic on the rail would be gone but there are some little tabs that would be on the remaining 1' or so thats left that should hold or it could be placed between cover sections like the Larue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Are you talking about something like this?

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#36]

yeah kinda, but thats not out yet haha.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting for the Magpul Handstop kit coming out (supposedly) sometime this Spring....so probably next fall...
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
looked at the afg on my other upper when i got home. has anyone ever cut on off right where the angle starts by the front?
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8OQZ5cBRfSR1V6-rNKfkIzvs38l4WRBn5EI0C6zXlb_ZTAq9Ow
I know the screw that compresses the plastic on the rail would be gone but there are some little tabs that would be on the remaining 1' or so thats left that should hold or it could be placed between cover sections like the Larue.

I've seen it done, and it seems like it works fine. I don't remember who posted it on here though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm waiting for the Magpul Handstop kit coming out (supposedly) sometime this Spring....so probably next fall...

Yeah, definitely do want!

I've been wanting a handstop, but never could decide which one would work best.  I want whichever is lightest and preferable takes up the same amount of rail estate as an XTM panel.

I've pretty much decided the Magpul looks like it fits the bill perfectly

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8OQZ5cBRfSR1V6-rNKfkIzvs38l4WRBn5EI0C6zXlb_ZTAq9Ow

I've seen it done, and it seems like it works fine. I don't remember who posted it on here though.

Okay, Ill check the magpul indus. section to see if it there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are talking about having to buy the index clips to go along with the Handstops you don't have to.  I ordered my Index Clips and Handstops together, but the Handstops were backordered.  Larue knew I already had Index Clips but they still sent 4 clips when they sent my Handstops out a few months later.  If you just get the handstops they will supply you with enough Clips to lock them in place or you can use rail ladders as displayed above.

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are talking about having to buy the index clips to go along with the Handstops you don't have to.  I ordered my Index Clips and Handstops together, but the Handstops were backordered.  Larue knew I already had Index Clips but they still sent 4 clips when they sent my Handstops out a few months later.  If you just get the handstops they will supply you with enough Clips to lock them in place or you can use rail ladders as displayed above.

Oh awesome!
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I am pretty fond of the gear sector handstop. I picked it up from primaryarms a few months back for $19.99, the OD and FDE were 19.99 and the black was 45 i think so I'm not sure why the price difference.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am pretty fond of the gear sector handstop. I picked it up from primaryarms a few months back for $19.99, the OD and FDE were 19.99 and the black was 45 i think so I'm not sure why the price difference.

Well crap!

I ordered the GS flash light mount last week from PA. I like it so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#45]
So i got the IWC handstop for modular rails. I don't really use it as a stop cause i pull back on mine, overall from taking it out to the range i am really satisfied with it. Don't know if i'll feel the same with a handstop on a quad rail though because i never had the chance to feel one out.

By jukeboxx13 at 2012-05-15
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I think most are used as you state––to pull against. The SBR guys actually use them as "stops".
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think most are used as you state––to pull against. The SBR guys actually use them as "stops".

Yea that makes sense, but i was just playing with it right now and if i put my hand behind it i can use it as a stop, and still get a good overhand grip.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top