Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:51:21 PM EDT
Hey guys/gals I was dead set on getting a DDm4v5 but I saw something about the Rainier Arms RUC and I am very interested, i searched but nothing really came up. I like the looks and the handguard of the RUC better but I have heard so many good things about the DD. I'm using the rifle for HD and long days shooting at the ranch. Which would be better for long sustained fire, reliability and accuracy?

I'm leaning towards the RUC right now. What do ya'll think? would like some imput before I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the RUC. It is equal to and if not better than the DD, but you wouldn't go wrong either way. I just got an upper from them and it is awesome, really my favorite one so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant go wrong with either. Get both
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The RUC is awesome (I have one), but Daniel Defense does make the M4 V7, which has a similar lightweight modular rail.  I'm not sure if they offer it in a pencil barrel profile yet, but it's the closest thing you'll find to a RUC.

Just FYI - last I heard, Daniel Defense was manufacturing the RUC barrels for Rainier.  Rainier doesn't put that in their marketing, as manufacturers change, but that's who they said was making them a few months back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You could also look at the LaRue Tactical OBR or PredatAR.  Then again, you could wait for the PredatOBR.  All fine choices.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I handled a RUC at the Rainer Arms store in Auburn, WA... and about fell in love.  The flip up sights are a little different but very easy to use.  The Geissle SSA trigger breaks like a glass rod and feels fantastic.  This rifle is LIGHT!  It swings and points well and has a great feel.  Don't think you can go wrong with this one!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking they were both quality AR's and the only real difference would be personal preferance on looks.

I would love to go ARF style and get both but as a college student that just isn't gonna happen. Between my truck and guns I always end up broke.

The Larues are nice but something just turns me off on them. I would love a PredetAR but my other choices make choosing really difficult.

EDIT: did some research and I saw that rainier is willing to swap muzzle devices. I want to run a surpressor in the future and would love to have a 14.5 without getting the SBR stamp. Which muzzle device should i have them pin and weld on there for me that accomadates a surpressor?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking they were both quality AR's and the only real difference would be personal preferance on looks.

I would love to go ARF style and get both but as a college student that just isn't gonna happen. Between my truck and guns I always end up broke.

The Larues are nice but something just turns me off on them. I would love a PredetAR but my other choices make choosing really difficult.

Assuming we are talking about the DD with the LW barrel this is simple -

The Rainier has a vastly better trigger than the DD... other than that your functional differences are slim.
The Larue has a vastly more accurate barrel than the Rainier... other functional differences are slim.

I REALLY like Rainier Arms, I have a huge amount of respect for Daniel Defense, and I am not a Larue fanboy... But in my opinion there is no better rifle on the market currently in a cost vs. real world functional value equation than the PredatAR.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

EDIT: did some research and I saw that rainier is willing to swap muzzle devices. I want to run a surpressor in the future and would love to have a 14.5 without getting the SBR stamp. Which muzzle device should i have them pin and weld on there for me that accomadates a surpressor?

I have an RUC on order waiting to be built.  I just decided to start pursuing a surefire suppressor today to put on it, so I just sent them an email to change my muzzle device....
On another note, this is my first purchase from Rainier and although I don't have the RUC yet, it has been a great pleaure working with them on the changes to my rifle.  Basically anything you want, no problem!
My changes? No FA upper, Magpul MS3 sling & attachments, Failzero full BCG, and now a Surefire muzzle device.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming we are talking about the DD with the LW barrel this is simple -

The Rainier has a vastly better trigger than the DD... other than that your functional differences are slim.
The Larue has a vastly more accurate barrel than the Rainier... other functional differences are slim.

I REALLY like Rainier Arms, I have a huge amount of respect for Daniel Defense, and I am not a Larue fanboy... But in my opinion there is no better rifle on the market currently in a cost vs. real world functional value equation than the PredatAR.

Do you have both rifles?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a DD kind of guy... But Rainier is a good company with great products. Either way you win.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
RUC is good rifle.
DD is also a good rifle.

Look at the PredatAR from LaRue as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have both rifles?

Nope.. just the Larue.  Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased the 16" RUC  back in Nov. after alot of research. I went with the RUC over DD & Noveske Lo Pro (at $1995 too much for me) because of all of the top quality parts that were used in addition to the SSA upgrade i got. For $1295  I could not pass it up. At $1495 , I think it is still a really good deal. This rifle is super lighweight & the fit , finish & balance is fantastic. I did not check out the PredatAR because  it did not include iron sights & I felt it was more of a precision rifle not a URBAN CARBINE battle banger(my paper targets are mean) like the RUC !!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I purchased the 16" RUC  back in Nov. after alot of research. I went with the RUC over DD & Noveske Lo Pro (at $1995 too much for me) because of all of the top quality parts that were used in addition to the SSA upgrade i got. For $1295  I could not pass it up. At $1495 , I think it is still a really good deal. This rifle is super lighweight & the fit , finish & balance is fantastic. I did not check out the PredatAR because  it did not include iron sights & I felt it was more of a precision rifle not a URBAN CARBINE battle banger(my paper targets are mean) like the RUC !!

The predatar is a battle rifle in every sense! It's light and extremely accurate! The choose to leave bius off because some people would prefer to get there own and be charged for something they won't use!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have both rifles?

How do you know the Larue barrel is vastly better?

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have both rifles?

How do you know the Larue barrel is vastly better?

Because it is a Lothar Walther LW50 barrel, known for their accuracy and durability.  You can't compare that to a CMV CLed barrel accuracy wise.  Which is how I stated the "better" part.  Accuracy wise.  I do not think that lifespan of the barrel is a factor based on ammo cost in order to shoot either type out.

Personally I do not think 98% of the shooters out there would be able to actually appreciate the accuracy difference, but I think the quality of the Lothar Walther barrels is known and documented well enough to put them in the top most of manufacturers out there.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Just more hear-say advice, third-party bs.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Im sure the PredetAR is a fantastic rifle(top reviews & great quality) - but for me the RUC had everything that I wanted for a sick  price !!  Rainier Arms , DD , Noveske & Larue  - you cant go wrong with these companys. Just save your $$ & get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So you are telling me that a Chrome Lined CMV barrel can be put in the same realm as a LW50 SS barrel from Lothar Walther which comes with a factory test target of somewhere between .25" and .75" ?

Typically CLed barrels have an accuracy level of somewhere between 1.5" and 4"... this is known and accepted.

Im sorry if I hurt your feelings by giving the OP a general comment on average accuracy expectations.  

And as far as your third party BS goes, if I DID in fact own both rifles and was able to compare the accuracy of them, my sample size would be one and that wouldn't help either.  

So how would YOU compare the 3 rifles in question without using general figures known and accepted, or using a sample size of one?

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are telling me that a Chrome Lined CMV barrel can be put in the same realm as a LW50 SS barrel from Lothar Walther which comes with a factory test target of somewhere between .25" and .75" ?

Typically CLed barrels have an accuracy level of somewhere between 1.5" and 4"... this is known and accepted.

Im sorry if I hurt your feelings by giving the OP a general comment on average accuracy expectations.  

And as far as your third party BS goes, if I DID in fact own both rifles and was able to compare the accuracy of them, my sample size would be one and that wouldn't help either.  

So how would YOU compare the 3 rifles in question without using general figures known and accepted, or using a sample size of one?

I wouldn't compare any of them seeing as I don't own any of them. As far as your "sample size of one" I'm pretty confident that most people's opinion of a certain rifle is indeed taken from a "sample of one". All of the collective "sample of one's" that are documented in a thread make up a "sample of many" based on the first hand experience of many.

That is what makes this forum accurate and reliable. Not; "I don't own one, but here is my opinion..."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top